New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default So who killed Penelope?

I've been going over Blood Runs in the Family again.
    I noticed that Elan thought Tarquin killed Penelope (his ninth wife) and Tarquin thought Nale did it.

So who do we think might have killed her? If it's neither of those two?

Or was that also a result of the familicide spell? I mean she didn't have "black dragon" blood but she was the mother of one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: So who killed Penelope?

It was Familicide. It kills anyone who shares blood with the target, and then anyone who shares blood with any of the first-stage victims.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    It was Familicide. It kills anyone who shares blood with the target, and then anyone who shares blood with any of the first-stage victims.
    Doesn't it keep going, too? Down to the last cousin? And we're lucky she wasn't carrying a child of Tarquin's, because if she were, Familicide would have killed Tarquin, Nale, and more importantly Elan, too.

4. - Top - End - #4

There's an image of it happening when Vaarsuvius realizes the full implications of their action in this comic. Penelope's on the bottom-right of the "familicide storm" panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    There's an image of it happening when Vaarsuvius realizes the full implications of their action in this comic. Penelope's on the bottom-right of the "familicide storm" panel.
    “I am the one who slew Tarquin’s wife!”
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me J View Post
    Doesn't it keep going, too? Down to the last cousin? And we're lucky she wasn't carrying a child of Tarquin's, because if she were, Familicide would have killed Tarquin, Nale, and more importantly Elan, too.
    now that I'm aware that vaarsuvius was that close to having been responsible for the death of elan, a party member and friend.. it makes me imagine all the possibilities of a horrible timeline in which that did happen. nobody under the impact of the spell was particularly close to v, I imagine the additional toll it would have on them upon finding out it wasn't some freak accident that killed him, but instead a direct result of their selfish mistake.. would be quite grievous.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tawnyterror View Post
    now that I'm aware that vaarsuvius was that close to having been responsible for the death of elan, a party member and friend..
    ...it wasn't close at all though?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    How so? If she and Tarquin had had a child, that baby would have added Tarquin, Nale, and Elan to the list of targets.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Did I read something wrong? I was pondering, based on other conversation in this thread, what would occur if Penelope had a child of Tarquins, (and therefore cementing the family ties) and the result it could have.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    How so? If she and Tarquin had had a child, that baby would have added Tarquin, Nale, and Elan to the list of targets.
    I really thought that last comic would end this debate, but it seems like there's still a lot of confusion. So here goes:

Step 1: Kill everyone with the original target's blood. This is a simple yes/no effect: Is a creature (the secondary target) related by blood to the original target at all, in any way? If yes, kill it. If no, move on. Number of generations or percentage of blood or direction doesn't matter.

Step 2: Kill everyone who shares blood with any of the people killed in Step 1. Think of it as killing everyone descended from (or siblings to) any and all still-living ancestors of each secondary target. So if Penelope had a grandfather on one side and a great-grandmother on the other side who were still alive, every person who could trace their blood back to either of those people would be dead, because Penelope's daughter carries both of their bloods. If a person can only trace their blood through (say) Penelope's already-dead great-great-great-grandfather, then they're safe. Thus cousins and second-cousins and the like are all dead, but more distant genetic relations are not. It is possible for some cousins to survive if all older generations were already dead, yes, but Vaarsuvius wasn't really likely to take the time to make that distinction while sobbing on a dungeon hallway floor.
    Penelope is not in step 1. Penelope is in step 2. If she had a child with Tarquin, that child would be in step 2, but Tarquin would not; he would not share blood with anyone in step 1. Children Tarquin had beforehand would not be in step 2, as they would not share blood with anyone in step 1.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Nale, Tarquin, and Elan still would not share blood with anyone with the blood of a Black Dragon. They'd have enough degrees of separation to avoid being killed off by Familicide.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I see now, thank you for clarifying. I still had fun with my musings though.

13. - Top - End - #13

No worries, Familicide is notorious for having a ridiculous number of threads popping up on how it works and the logistics, and it's not uncommon for people to still get it wrong.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Agree there safe but it might have been a different story if it had a third step in who it kills.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

No worries, Familicide is notorious for having a ridiculous number of threads popping up on how it works and the logistics, and it's not uncommon for people to still get it wrong.
    Its not our fault that the spell utterly fails at the purpose V used it for (removing avenging claims from the table).
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Its not our fault that the spell utterly fails at the purpose V used it for (removing avenging claims from the table).
    It be a total genocide spell if it were; it have to kill anyone who'd ever want revenge on the original target. Repeat for all secondary targets. Repeat till no more targets. Usually because literally everything is dead.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

17. - Top - End - #17

I dunno, nobody's come for V's head over that yet.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    It be a total genocide spell if it were; it have to kill anyone who'd ever want revenge on the original target. Repeat for all secondary targets. Repeat till no more targets. Usually because literally everything is dead.
    Sounds like "Eye for an eye, until everybody is blind" to me...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It was always obvious that was the case, because it didn't take into account friends and spouses of the spell's target, who might well be annoyed enough at their death to do something about it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Heck, we know explicitly from the start that it wouldn't have worked on V's own family.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It was always obvious that was the case, because it didn't take into account friends and spouses of the spell's target, who might well be annoyed enough at their death to do something about it.
    But might still be scared about the effect on their surviving relatives, enough to avoid to try to avenge who is dead. At the time I made a correlation with Mafia, which is famous to use a similar method to scare people ("We will not kill -only- you, but before that we will kill your family... and your little dog, too"). (Even if, basically, that was done by every single evil tyrant in the world, I'd guess).

So either the one who seeks vengeance must not care enough about his surviving relatives, or must be really sure to win that fight. Probably, since killing an epic necromancer requires a lot of resources, is a safer better to just resurrect all the people killed by that spell than endangering the surviving ones.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    But might still be scared about the effect on their surviving relatives, enough to avoid to try to avenge who is dead. At the time I made a correlation with Mafia, which is famous to use a similar method to scare people ("We will not kill -only- you, but before that we will kill your family... and your little dog, too"). (Even if, basically, that was done by every single evil tyrant in the world, I'd guess).

So either the one who seeks vengeance must not care enough about his surviving relatives, or must be really sure to win that fight. Probably, since killing an epic necromancer requires a lot of resources, is a safer better to just resurrect all the people killed by that spell than endangering the surviving ones.
    In most cases, spending millions of gold on resurrection (Raise Dead can’t return a character who was killed by a death effect, which Familicide probably is) spells is probably about as difficult as killing an epic necromancer. Or at the very least, it’s just about the same level of difficulty, in that it’s essentially impossible.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I always thought Haerta intended that spell simply as a way to deliver disproportionate retribution, and the bit about making sure no one went after their family again was just V rationalizing their genocidal urges (or buying Haerta's pitch because it allowed them to rationalize said urges).
    ungelic is us

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Personally I always thought Haerta intended that spell simply as a way to deliver disproportionate retribution, and the bit about making sure no one went after their family again was just V rationalizing their genocidal urges (or buying Haerta's pitch because it allowed them to rationalize said urges).
    Pretty much this. Friends, non-blood relatives, vassals, lieges... are not affected by the spell and are likely to seek revenge.

I mean, if I am a Baron and someone slaughters my peasants left and right, I'm supposed to do something about it. Not just because it's my duty to protect the peasants, but also for economic self-interest. One commoner slain, okay, I am probably not going to mind about it. But if then the murderer obliterates half the villiage with Familicide, then I can't weasel off that one.

If the purpose of the spell had really been to prevent vengeance, then the effects would be more like a massive mind-wipe to make everybody forget about the target having ever existed. Cheaper cost and better performance.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-10-25 at 06:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Wait. Are you telling me Familicide wasn't well thought through?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

26. - Top - End - #26

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Wait. Are you telling me Familicide wasn't well thought through?
    It could be a town-burner rather than a world-scourer. A small close-knit society has a lot of distant relations marrying, so hitting a first level commoner with it could probably cripple the village enough for you to finish it off with regular spellpower. It could also have been designed especially to target Kings and wipe out their family lines (which in a medieval setting where royal bloodlines were considered important, would be devastating to a whole country).
    When designed, it probably wasn't intended to be used the way V did. Just because s/he didn't use it right doesn't mean it wasn't thought through enough. And from another perspective, it was thought through just fine; it did exactly what Rich wanted it to, nothing more or less.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    In most cases, spending millions of gold on resurrection (Raise Dead can’t return a character who was killed by a death effect, which Familicide probably is) spells is probably about as difficult as killing an epic necromancer. Or at the very least, it’s just about the same level of difficulty, in that it’s essentially impossible.
    Not every characater, the ones who the close-to-epic or epic avenger is interested. That requires just a bunch of gold. And, AFAIR, resurrection works for death effects' victims.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Pretty much this. Friends, non-blood relatives, vassals, lieges... are not affected by the spell and are likely to seek revenge.

I mean, if I am a Baron and someone slaughters my peasants left and right, I'm supposed to do something about it. Not just because it's my duty to protect the peasants, but also for economic self-interest. One commoner slain, okay, I am probably not going to mind about it. But if then the murderer obliterates half the villiage with Familicide, then I can't weasel off that one.

If the purpose of the spell had really been to prevent vengeance, then the effects would be more like a massive mind-wipe to make everybody forget about the target having ever existed. Cheaper cost and better performance.
    Meh. It in that way you endanger your own surviving family members, that is a bit too risky. But, as I said at the time, I can grant that Mafia (I mean the RL, not the game; and a lot of RL tyrant, too) worked for centuries on that principle, with highs and lows, of course. It has shown to be pragmatically effective.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2019-10-25 at 08:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

(deleted for double posting)
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2019-10-25 at 08:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Hereta's title was " Destroyer of Hope". I get the sense she made Familicide for no practical purpose other then sadistic torture. Think of it like Xykon, a man to whom I imagine Hereta was very similar: Did he NEED to do the bouncy ball? No. He's a Sorcerer. He could have blasted them all to death with Meteor Swarm without even entering the room. Did he want to? Oh, did he ever.

30. - Top - End - #30

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Hereta's title was " Destroyer of Hope". I get the sense she made Familicide for no practical purpose other then sadistic torture. Think of it like Xykon, a man to whom I imagine Hereta was very similar: Did he NEED to do the bouncy ball? No. He's a Sorcerer. He could have blasted them all to death with Meteor Swarm without even entering the room. Did he want to? Oh, did he ever.
    To be fair, it's conceptually pretty funny.