New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: So who killed Penelope?

Quote Originally Posted by whitehelm View Post
    Their son wasn't a Step 1 victim since he was already dead, so her husband wouldn't have been a Step 2 victim either.
    I thought Step 1 (unlike Step 2) was not stopped by an already dead link in the chain? Otherwise wouldn't Girard being already dead have protected the pyramid residents (and by extension their various baby-mommas and -daddies)?

EDIT: This, of course, presumes my old assumption that would make him a Step 1 victim. If the mechanics work out to him as a Step 2 victim, his son's death would indeed protect him, per Rich's post.

It's been way too long a week. This is all making me dizzy.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2019-11-08 at 06:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Here’s how I understand it.

Step 1: Anyone who was a blood relation of the black dragon. That includes everyone descended from Girard, including the daughter that Penelope previously had with Orrin Draketooth.

Step 2: Anyone who was a blood relative of any living member of any of the above. (By which I mean: living at the instant before familicide was cast.) Since Penelope was a blood relative of her (disappeared) daughter, she was killed by Familicide; her parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc - and her unborn child - would also have been related by blood to her & Orrin’s daughter and thus would have been killed as well.

However, for example, Tarquin was not a blood relative of Penelope & Orrin’s daughter, so there was no chance that he would have been killed by Familicide.

ABD’s (predeceased) husband was not a blood relative of ABD (assuming a lack of inbreeding among black dragons), so, had he been alive, he would not have been a Stage 1 victim. If ABD’s son and husband had both still been alive (or if ABD had had any other kids with her husband), her kid would have been a Stage 1 victim, and her husband would have been a Stage 2 victim due to being a blood relation of his kid.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2019-11-08 at 08:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Here’s how I understand it.

Step 1: Anyone who was a blood relation of the black dragon. That includes everyone descended from Girard, including the daughter that Penelope previously had with Orrin Draketooth.

Step 2: Anyone who was a blood relative of any living member of any of the above. (By which I mean: living at the instant before familicide was cast.) Since Penelope was a blood relative of her (disappeared) daughter, she was killed by Familicide; her parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc - and her unborn child - would also have been related by blood to her & Orrin’s daughter and thus would have been killed as well.
    Step is more accurately described as "anyone who has a living common ancestor (themselves inculded) with someone in Step 1). Penelope being the mother of someone in step 1 so she dies no matter what, but her siblings would only die if at least one of her parents, grandparents or great-grandparents is alive.

Basically the spell climbs the family tree of the one it is cast on back to the beginning of the world and once it has reached the first generation it climbs down the family tree of everyone it reached and kills everyone still alive. That is Step 1. Then it climbs up the family tree of everyone it killed back to the beginning of the world and for everyone still alive it kills them and all of their still living descendants but it doesn't kill the descendants of those who were already dead at this step.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If only there were some way of magically getting information. Like some people with a special connection to the gods who could answer any question about the future present or past. We could call them... oracles? Nah, doesn’t sound mystical enough. How about augurs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    How about Diviners?
    Let's just call them The Googles...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    It be a total genocide spell if it were; it have to kill anyone who'd ever want revenge on the original target. Repeat for all secondary targets. Repeat till no more targets. Usually because literally everything is dead.
    I mean, if you look at like Medieval Europe and things, where the kids had to swear vengeance if their parents were killed, but then the other side had to avenge their parents, etc. it usually ended with one or both of the lines completely dying out before the problem was solved.

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Let's just call them The Googles...
    Spiders, perhaps? Because they create webs...
    Last edited by ElderSage; 2019-12-11 at 08:15 PM.