New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default I Want To Optimized A Human Rogue/Swashbuckler

Ok, I have a male human rogue/swashbuckler name, Marco Mendes. His sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1262738

So I did max the Rogue potential at this rate and I'm going to level up more Swashbuckler level. So if anyone has any other suggestion feel free to comment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: I Want To Optimized A Human Rogue/Swashbuckler

A must-have for any Rogue/Swashbuckler is the Daring Outlaw feat. That makes Swashbuckler levels advance your Sneak Attack dice, letting you get the best part of being a Rogue on Swashbuckler's better chassis.

I don't think you can take that until 9th level, though, so for your 6th level feat you probably want either Improved Two-Weapon Fighting or Staggering Strike, for increasing your number of attacks or making each one a deadly threat respectively. There's also a magic item that will just give you Improved TWF if you already have TWF (the Glove of the Balanced Hand, I think? Something like that), so see if you can get your hands on that... no pun intended.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-10-25 at 02:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'd suggest taking the penetrating strike ACF from the Lightbringer Rogue so that you can still get some sneak attack in against the otherwise immune (and apply craven to them).

Swapping things around so your advancement is Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 2/Rogue 1/Swashbuckler n unambiguously allows you to take Daring Outlaw at level 6.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    A must-have for any Rogue/Swashbuckler is the Daring Outlaw feat. That makes Swashbuckler levels advance your Sneak Attack dice, letting you get the best part of being a Rogue on Swashbuckler's better chassis.

I don't think you can take that until 9th level, though, so for your 6th level feat you probably want either Improved Two-Weapon Fighting or Staggering Strike, for increasing your number of attacks or making each one a deadly threat respectively. There's also a magic item that will just give you Improved TWF if you already have TWF (the Glove of the Balanced Hand, I think? Something like that), so see if you can get your hands on that... no pun intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    I'd suggest taking the penetrating strike ACF from the Lightbringer Rogue so that you can still get some sneak attack in against the otherwise immune (and apply craven to them).

Swapping things around so your advancement is Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 2/Rogue 1/Swashbuckler n unambiguously allows you to take Daring Outlaw at level 6.
    Well as Bat-Mite say: Oh wow, awesome sauce.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

One idea is to take two levels of Swordsage sometime after level 9 of your build. This will give you access to Assassins Stance (for +2d6 more Sneak Attack) and the ability to take the feats Shadow Blade (Dex to damage) and Gloom Razor (some neat ways to hide your movement to create Sneak Attack situations).

Depending on how lenient your DM is, there is a slightly dubious way that Daring Outlaw can work with the Simple Variant "Feat Rogue" from Unearthed Arcana, an alternate source of Sneak Attack, and Swashbuckler levels. See spoiler for build stubs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Human
    Rogue - Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" 1/ Swashbuckler (CW) 3/ Fighter - Simple Variant (UA) "Sneak Attack Fighter" 3/ Feat Rogue 13
    Feats:
    1. Combat Reflexes, Darkstalker {LoM, eventually get a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM)} B: Two Weapon Fighting
    2. B: Weapon Finesse
    3. Blindfight
    6. Craven (CoR)
    8. B: Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    9. Daring Outlaw (CS)
    10. B: Improved Buckler Defense (CW)
    12. Mage Slayer (CA), B: Pierce Magical Concealment (CA, use a Ring of Blinking)
    14. B: Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    15. Staggering Strike (CAdv) or Maiming Strike (EoE)
    16. B: Double Hit (MH)
    18. Undo Resistance (FCII), B: Two Weapon Rend (PHB II)

B: = Fighter Bonus feats from Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" levels or other classes
    Weapon of choice: Shortswords

Or this build with Swordsage

Human
    Rogue - Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" 1/ Swashbuckler (CW) 3/ Fighter - Simple Variant (UA) "Sneak Attack Fighter" 3/ Feat Rogue 3/ Swordsage 2/ Feat Rogue 8
    Feats:
    1. Combat Reflexes, Darkstalker {LoM, eventually get a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM)} B: Two Weapon Fighting
    3. Blindfight
    6. Craven (CoR)
    9. Daring Outlaw (CS)
    10. B: Mage Slayer (CA)
    12. Shadow Blade (ToB)
    15. Gloom Razor (ToB)
    16. B: Pierce Magical Concealment (CA, use a Ring of Blinking)
    18. Staggering Strike (CAdv) or Maiming Strike (EoE), B: Two Weapon Rend (PHB II)

B: = Fighter Bonus feats from Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" levels or other classes

Also you may want to read through these handbooks for more ideas:
    Rogue Handbook
    Swashbuckler Handbook
    TWF OffHandbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gorfnab View Post
    One idea is to take two level of Swordsage sometime after level 9 of your build. This will give you access to Assassins Stance (for +2d6 more Sneak Attack) and the ability to take the feats Shadow Blade (Dex to damage) and Gloom Razor (some neat ways to hide your movement to create Sneak Attack situations).

Depending on how lenient your DM is, there is a slightly dubious way that Daring Outlaw can work with the Simple Variant "Feat Rogue" from Unearthed Arcana, an alternate source of Sneak Attack, and Swashbuckler levels. See spoiler for build stubs.
    Spoiler
    Show

Human
    Rogue - Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" 1/ Swashbuckler (CW) 3/ Fighter - Simple Variant (UA) "Sneak Attack Fighter" 3/ Feat Rogue 13
    Feats:
    3. Blindfight
    6. Craven (CoR)
    9. Daring Outlaw (CS)
    10. B: Improved Buckler Defense (CW)
    12. Mage Slayer (CA), B: Pierce Magical Concealment (CA, use a Ring of Blinking)
    15. Staggering Strike (CAdv) or Maiming Strike (EoE)
    16. B: Double Hit (MH)
    18. Undo Resistance (FCII), B: Two Weapon Rend (PHB II)

B: = Fighter Bonus feats from Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" levels

Or this build with Swordsage

Human
    Rogue - Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" 1/ Swashbuckler (CW) 3/ Fighter - Simple Variant (UA) "Sneak Attack Fighter" 3/ Feat Rogue 3/ Swordsage 2/ Feat Rogue 8
    Feats:
    3. Blindfight
    6. Craven (CoR)
    9. Daring Outlaw (CS)
    10. B: Mage Slayer (CA)
    12. Shadow Blade
    15. Gloom Razor
    16. B: Pierce Magical Concealment (CA, use a Ring of Blinking)
    18. Staggering Strike, B: Two Weapon Rend (PHB II)

B: = Fighter Bonus feats from Simple Variant ACF (UA) "Feat Rogue" levels

Also you may want to read through these handbooks for more ideas:
    Rogue Handbook
    Swashbuckler Handbook
    TWF OffHandbook
    Neat!