New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Would the living avatar of gluttony ever go on a diet, and if so, which diet?

Would the living avatar of gluttony ever go on a diet, and if so, which diet?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Would the living avatar of gluttony ever go on a diet, and if so, which diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Would the living avatar of gluttony ever go on a diet, and if so, which diet?
    Yeah, the "sea food" diet. When it sees food, it eats everyone and everything near it.

To put it another way...
    Would the avatar of lust enter a monogamous relationship?
    Would the avatar of greed ever donate to charity?
    Would the avatar of sloth ever run a marathon?
    Would the avatar of pride ever share the spotlight?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Would the living avatar of gluttony ever go on a diet, and if so, which diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Yeah, the "sea food" diet. When it sees food, it eats everyone and everything near it.

To put it another way...
    Would the avatar of lust enter a monogamous relationship?
    Would the avatar of sloth ever run a marathon?
    Would the avatar of pride ever share the spotlight?
    These are all good questions.

I have been cursed with the mantle of gluttony and have been wondering if there was a way to stop it. If I perceive anything even vaguely edible and I can get to it, I will eat it before I can even think. I eat enough for 20 people, if not more, and I壇 eat even more if I let myself, because I知 always hungry no matter how much I eat. I guess I知 cursed to unending hunger.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Oh, that's a completely different matter. From the title, I thought you were building a pantheon for your gaming world with a Dionysus-type food god and were wondering what kind of clash with other deities might make him do a U-turn on his portfolio and switch from indulgence to moderation.

I have been cursed with the mantle of gluttony and have been wondering if there was a way to stop it. If I perceive anything even vaguely edible and I can get to it, I will eat it before I can even think. I eat enough for 20 people, if not more, and I壇 eat even more if I let myself, because I知 always hungry no matter how much I eat. I guess I知 cursed to unending hunger.
    This however, is highly dependent on the system you're playing in, and could range from having a friendly cleric cast Remove Curse to finding the Lone Hermit Atop The Mountain of Excess to send you on a long and involved quest for the One-Pronged Fork of Temperance. Did your DM/GM ask you to make suggestions? Perhaps start with finding more information about whoever made that cursed mantle in the first place.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Technically, yes.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Depending on era they may try those diets that claim they make you feel full.
    By surrounding themselves with those items vs the vaguely edible other things.

wouldn't work but they may well try thus they would be "dieting"

wearing a muzzle?

similarly those "Diet Pills" that basically just puff up in your stomach and thus trick your body into thinking you ate more than you did.

also the pica diet. (and not the adorable mountain lagomorphs-that's pika)

And a mantle of gluttony curse implies magic....if magic is available i recommend getting one of those magic porridge making spoons...see if you can get it customized to make the effect over an hour or more....never-ending food producing popsicle can be used for dramatic effect and characterization.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2019-10-26 at 06:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe a diet that isn't for weight-loss.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Definitely one of those "no carbs, but lots of fat and protreins" diets.

Or, in a fantasy world, a diet where you eat your enemies. Bite their heads straight off in the middle of combat. With a bonus for being super hungry.

Or a diet of only remove curse spells. That might help.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I don稚 see why not, Japanese congressmen are probably as tasty as any other people.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don稚 see why not, Japanese congressmen are probably as tasty as any other people.
    If you are going to that way...go classic German...the Diet of Worms

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I can't really talk about religion here, but I recommend going to read up on a few theological articles online. By those definitions, gluttony is much broader than just food and one can be a glutton without eating.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

If this avatar of gluttony can't stay away from food, you can at least be creative with your definition of "food".

That is, even gluttony incarnate won't eat rocks, or rotten meat, or unripe fruits, right? I imagine Gluttony still has its standards: it wants tasty food. Nice food.
    So, the way to make Gluttony go on a diet is by changing its definition of food.

"Candy isn't food," you'll argue. "It's just chemicals thrown together in a clinical laboratory. Just like pure ethanol isn't a drink, candy isn't a food."
    "Meat???" you'll ask, shocked. "Gross! That steak used to be a cow's butt. You're not going to eat someone's butt, are you? I thought you liked good food. This isn't good food. This is ****."
    "You can't eat veggies!" you'll tell Gluttony. "What are you, a rabbit? You want food, not some random stuff that grows in the ground. You don't chew on wood either, do you?"
    "Nooo," you'll say. "Frozen pizza's aren't really food. Come on, man, that stuff is disgusting, you can't eat that. You're better than this."

In the end, I imagine you'll have an Avatar of Gluttony that's only really gluttonous towards fine dining, and thinks the majority of foods are below their standards. It's very hard to grow fat on fine dining, so I'd argue it counts as a diet.
    Last edited by Murk; 2019-10-30 at 07:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey OP, you said it was you who was cursed and not a character you're playing. That was just a mistake right?

Right OP??

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

You do realize "diet" is just the word for "what one eats or consumes"? Technically diet does not include the implication of moderation in ANY way.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    You do realize "diet" is just the word for "what one eats or consumes"? Technically diet does not include the implication of moderation in ANY way.
    "Go on a diet" does imply moderation. "Hanging" is a form of capital punishment and it's different than "hanging out" or "hanging ten" or "hanging it up". Words mean things but sometimes they mean other things when near other words.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    "Go on a diet" does imply moderation. "Hanging" is a form of capital punishment and it's different than "hanging out" or "hanging ten" or "hanging it up". Words mean things but sometimes they mean other things when near other words.
    Thank you that you so graciously explained context to me, and without sarcasm to boot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

How about that fat-bomb diet.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

These are all good questions.

Given those details, I could see the Avatar wanting to block its senses (put out its eyes, destroy the nose) so as to not easily perceive food.

That said, I wouldn't really consider the cursed person to be an avatar of Gluttony, as I generally consider an avatar to be a literal embodiment of something (here, a concept of gluttony.) That said, I could see trying to loophole around it by some of the things others have suggested, in mentally altering one's definition of food so as to exclude certain things, or try to shift towards gluttonous concepts like being a gourmand/foodie (caring about the particulars of a food more than its quantity).

Through meditation or focus, one could probably get used to unending hunger. Someone with the Mantle of Gluttony being a blind, scarred monk without a tongue, who lives on bland paste put in his mouth at the minimum to stay alive... that seems a doable concept with this idea.

EDIT: to add to your first question: I don't think you could go on a diet, as you don't have the ability to not eat food that you see. Unless you can change the definition of 'food' with respect to how the curse operates.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-11-18 at 01:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The essence of gluttony is that the person (or entity) is consuming for the sake of consuming, past all concerns of enjoyment. Food is just the most obvious example of it.

I could see the avatar going on a Netflix binge (like, watching the entire collection of the streaming service) and not eating for a few months.