The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [3.5] The Rage of Endless War

Spoiler: My dice rolls
    Show

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Re-read the character creation rules. Simply put, prestige classes no longer have prerequisites (with constraints), so requesting this is redundant.
    Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that large did not equal "does not make sense for humans." Here's my little warhulk!
    Tip-toeing back onto the board after a much-needed period focusing on family. My apologies to anyone I left in the lurch when I had to step away.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that large did not equal "does not make sense for humans." Here's my little warhulk!
    Small limitation with that: I'm houseruling lesser planetouched to not be allowed as a player race (I didn't think of them as a possibility when starting recruitment), and War Hulk grants Full Base Attack Bonus instead of +2 strength at every level.

Since this is E6, you shouldn't have to optimize a martial character too much to be competent, and I'd rather you under-optimize rather than over-optimize since it's easier to give the players stuff later rather than retroactively remove features and such.

I don't like the idea of a "dumb brute" anyways. I want future commanders, not some permanent lowly rank-and-file scum!
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2019-10-30 at 12:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Will be applying here with a gnome illusionist wizard / swordsage. Not sure what the further advancement will be, but will think about it over the weekend.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm houseruling lesser planetouched to not be allowed as a player race (I didn't think of them as a possibility when starting recruitment)
    Does this apply to the other lesser races? Drow in particular is one I was curious about, since some of the DotU prestige classes were at least interesting in passing... it's not immediately relevant since I'd almost certainly prefer to apply as a human, but as long as we're on the subject I figured why not ask.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Alexis Darknamer is WIP, but the build is mostly done.

Fluff upcoming.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raven is mostly complete, mechanically. Personality is there. Backstory is pending, but I don't expect it to be too significant - first level character, after all.

Ranger // Wizard
    INTP-A.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Requesting Dragonmarked Sorcerer Feat from Dragon 351. I might be from Eberron, and this lets me know some more spells. Of course, dragonmarks that would teach me spells I can't cast due to their level would be invalid.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Small limitation with that: I'm houseruling lesser planetouched to not be allowed as a player race (I didn't think of them as a possibility when starting recruitment), and War Hulk grants Full Base Attack Bonus instead of +2 strength at every level.

Since this is E6, you shouldn't have to optimize a martial character too much to be competent, and I'd rather you under-optimize rather than over-optimize since it's easier to give the players stuff later rather than retroactively remove features and such.

I don't like the idea of a "dumb brute" anyways. I want future commanders, not some permanent lowly rank-and-file scum!
    Thanks, and no worries! I'll rework her. And I'm not seeing her so much as a 'dumb brute' as an 'innocent kid.' I liked the idea of someone being both physically and emotionally totally unprepared for the shift in location.
    Tip-toeing back onto the board after a much-needed period focusing on family. My apologies to anyone I left in the lurch when I had to step away.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Request: Daring Outlaw working with the Arcane Stunt ACF from Complete Mage as it does with Grace. I plan to take a level of Rogue and the Daring Outlaw feat as part of my build. I'd also like to take Arcane Stunt as it has more general utility than Grace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Does this apply to the other lesser races? Drow in particular is one I was curious about, since some of the DotU prestige classes were at least interesting in passing... it's not immediately relevant since I'd almost certainly prefer to apply as a human, but as long as we're on the subject I figured why not ask.
    Lesser Drow are ok. Against the sidebar, though, Lesser Drow are not the default drow of the setting (though I haven't considered drow in terms of plot, I wanted a longer answer than "sure" )

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Requesting Dragonmarked Sorcerer Feat from Dragon 351. I might be from Eberron, and this lets me know some more spells. Of course, dragonmarks that would teach me spells I can't cast due to their level would be invalid.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Request: Daring Outlaw working with the Arcane Stunt ACF from Complete Mage as it does with Grace. I plan to take a level of Rogue and the Daring Outlaw feat as part of my build. I'd also like to take Arcane Stunt as it has more general utility than Grace.
    Sure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Going to see how well I am at making homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

"I hope that you don't get the impression that I would munchkin the rules if I was in a D&D world IRL... Even though I totally would" -Myself

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Here's my application for this game Johann Sigurdsson

I think I will change his name and I have to think about some fluff, but the crunch is done so far. Changed his name and added some backstory to his sheet.

Traits are from the SRD, flaws are from Dragon Mag. #325

In the end he will become an unarmed rager with fire and/or ice fists
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-11-07 at 03:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Requesting:
    1. Unarmed Swordsage
    2. Kung Fu Genius from Dragon Compendium made applicable to it

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure.
    Thanks. Here's a WIP sheet for Lyle Larson, True Neutral Beguiler//Swashbuckler. Right now I've got a TWF focus and plan to take a level of rogue at level 3
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-11-01 at 01:09 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Wanted to hold off on posting this until I had the backstory and description down, since the mechanics are painfully generic, but on consideration I figured there's no real reason not to link the sheet for Alain Chartier. If there's anything objectionable about the sheet, please let me know; I'm not super attached to any of the choices involved and am more than willing to edit.

Spoiler: Full Image
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Vengel Fogbrook

A mercenary for hire that deals with hunting taking out enemies for coin.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Gryfhild Völundson WIP. Gonna try for the Commander stuffs.

Edit: Switched it up since some other peeps want that sweet sweet Mo9.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2019-11-04 at 04:05 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Sheet for Lyle Larson is finished.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Zanwardia Graveltoe is complete.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

hey are you still looking for players by chance

the the build i have in mind is a teleporting swordsman. i can put him together really quickly if you are still looking.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Requesting:
    1. Unarmed Swordsage
    2. Kung Fu Genius from Dragon Compendium made applicable to it
    1. Sorry for the late response, but yes. Lose Light Armor Prof., gain IUS and the monk's Unarmed Strike progression.
    2. Yep, that's ok too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

"I hope that you don't get the impression that I would munchkin the rules if I was in a D&D world IRL... Even though I totally would" -Myself

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

um was that last post meant for me or just the other person i wasn't sure

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaekaido View Post
    um was that last post meant for me or just the other person i wasn't sure
    Yeah, I haven't closed recruitment yet. I still need to take a look at completed apps and give people who've I've recently made rulings to a chance to finish up their mechanics.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to close recruitment sometime in the EST evening tomorrow. Before I make selections, I'd like most of your mechanics to be done in addition to all of your fluff (fluff is more important for selections atm).
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Moments
    Show
    Slender fingers tremble slightly as they grip the crumpled paper that had arrived shortly before, slipped under the door from an unknown source. No one had been within sight of the apartment door when she checked, and so she had read this paper – this cataclysmic document that cast her world into chaos. A code, complex in its simplicity but one her parents had taught her to read even as she learned her languages. The words… treason here, treason against the crown and the land and the people; a bitter betrayal of families she had visited, places she had seen her parents welcomed with open arms.

A voice behind her, soft and familiar and suddenly unnerving. “What is the matter, love? What do you hold so tightly in your hands?” Her mother’s hands on her shoulders, lips that brushed the crown of her head in a familiar kiss.

Before she can stop it, one word escapes her lips. “Why?” A word thick with emotion, with the betrayal of values and a destruction of the sense of self. The hands on her shoulders squeeze, fidget, fall away.

“We are not of this land, love. This is not our place, this ruler not our ruler. We do what we do for love of our country, for the safety of our families and the prevention of war. We want peace, love it as we love you, and for that we sacrifice.”

A long moment of thought, thought on words and concepts that sounded right but felt wrong. Thought on lessons learned in the streets and in the courtyards, in books of history and books of fiction. Thought on the love she has for her parents, deeper than the love for friends. Without turning, the paper is smoothed and lifted past her shoulder. “This came for you, mother. I should think it important, but not for me. I’ll forget I saw it, and go about my day. I would that you do the same. I love you.” A turn, a tight hug that is returned with strength and confusion apparent in the moment, and she is gone. The damning letter remains in the hands of a mother concerned in many ways.

~~~

Time passes, sins forgotten or laid to the side until… The door opened easily as it always did, but instead of the friendly air of family and welcome that has lived behind it for all the years she can remember now there is tension and stress and anger. She pauses, taking a breath, centering herself before stepping brightly into her home. “Mother, father, I’m home!”

“Alexis come here now!” the voice is hard and filled with anger, a voice that has always been tender for her in the past. “My love, it’s not her fault…” the voice of her mother now, sounding so much less full of confidence than it should. “No! You said she saw the letter, there has been no slip, no sign! It was her.” Her father’s words, damning and critical. Somehow, her steps do not falter as she walks down the hall and into the face of her father; beet red and straining as though against a leash that isn’t there.

“You, how could you do this to your family, your parents, your country! Do you realize you have ruined us?” Her father barks the words out, no sign of the love and depth of care to which she is accustomed.
    “Father, what is it you think I did? I love my family, I love you and I love mother and I have done nothing that would put any of us at risk.”
    “LIAR!” “My love…” “NO! Her honeyed tongue and clever words will not cover this treason! We. Are. Un. Done! It will be the stroke of the greatest luck if we can escape and return home.”
    She takes a step closer to the embodiment of rage that has become her father. “I love you, father. I love you as well, mother. I love this country that I live in now, and the country that I cannot remember seeing if ever I was there. I have done nothing to betray anything I love.” She pauses, and watches the rage that was a father open its mouth to speak. Her next words are sharp, cutting across the space between them. “The same cannot be said for you. My love you have betrayed, with lies and use. My friends you have betrayed with honeyed words and false intent. This country you have betrayed, you know this. Perhaps you have even betrayed the country you call home? This I know not.” She pauses again, holding the energy of the room with her eyes. “Between us, who is betrayed? You have been found out? This puts me in more risk than it puts you. I am a child, and a girl, and will suffer ten times whatever you might. If you cannot feel love for me in this instance of my greatest risk for the least simple instance of your own panic, how can you feel love for me in the easy light of the sun?”

She doesn’t wait for either of her failures… parents… to answer. She turns, steps to the door. Calling back over her shoulder. “Don’t start worrying about me now, parents. I absolve you of the responsibility you seem to never have shown a care for. I will be just fine, thank you.” The door closes behind her, shutting away the past.

More to come, but work limited my time.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

I couldn’t think up anything. Have fun everybody!
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: More Moments
    Show
    The stone had been well-flung, catching her square in the back of the head and causing an instant seepage of blood that pulsed in time with the pain that surged through her. It hurt most that she knew the hand, the person, the mind and heart that had thrown the stone.

"Traitor! We all know! Just you wait..." The words slowed as she turned, eyes neither hard nor soft, but piercing in the moment.

The urge to raise a hand to the hurt... wait. "I am neither of my parents, nor are you your country. Why hurt me? I have done nothing to you, done nothing wrong."

"Whatever, child of traitors born to treason! How can we know you haven't, or that you won't?
    Always too polite, you. How can we trust anything from your traitor lips?" They were gathering, her friends, her allies, the ones she loved, the ones that no longer loved her.

"If your minds are so closed, and your hearts so hard, then I will leave you. I am sad, hurt that the love we shared means so little to you. I will leave now, but throw no more stones. If I am as terrible as you think I am, imagine what might I do as revenge?"

She turns and begins to walk away, a thin trickle of blood dripping down the back of her neck. Turning was hard, the first step harder, the bonds that once tied her to her friends stretching and tearing with each step she takes away. Somehow, no further stones harry her as she retreats to what might be the last vestige of safety and security that she has in this world... the Library.

~~~

Soft sobs in the darkness, echoes in a space that sometimes might be dimly lit by ampharic lights but is now blacker than the despair that fills a young heart, if only slightly so. This moment, private and alone, allowing her to fully experience the emotions that practice had for so long kept repressed. Betrayal at every level of her life, a lack of faith that staggered her from those she had trusted and loved for as long as she could remember.

The few staff that work at the library had long since gone home, even The Librarian had left, steely eyes sweeping over and beyond her hiding place, noticing nothing. That slight shift of expression had been her imagination, nothing more, leaving her alone in the darkness to sob and release her pain. Long moments passed before she realized that there was another sound in the darkness, a voice soft and strange and calling her name. "Alexis... Alexis... Why do you cry, Alexis? Come now and find me, Alexis. Find me, that we might speak."

A scrap of candle that she kept with her served to light her way, and a short time later she found an old dusty tome bound in thick leather in her hands. A rusty old lock clasped it, but fell apart at the touch of her slender fingers. the book fell open of its own accord, two pages filled with strange script that was also an image, an image that was shifting and growing and filling the air before her with mist and eyes and a mouth and a voice...

"I am the Taker of Names, Alexis. You are sad, your weeping awakened me from a deep slumber here. What troubles you?" The voice was strange. The lips moved on the mouth, bright white teeth that were normal and pointed and calming and alarming churning out the words in a voice that was smooth and sharp and sibilant and disturbing and comforting.

What followed was an outpouring of her hurt, her struggle, her worries on what might lie in her future. She was eloquent, she was precise, she laid out all of her troubles to this strange thing. In the absence of real friends, perhaps this new thing might...

"You have suffered much Alexis and I see much sorrow in you. I see much more strength in you than you give yourself in credit, and certainly more than any of those on whom you wasted love saw. What do you ask of the Taker of Names?"

A deep breath, a long pause. "What can I ask for? Your name, what you call yourself... it has meaning? What could I offer in return?"

"More than you imagine, Alexis. Perhaps first the name you now care nothing for. As to what I can offer... there is little in your frame of reference that can explain it. I offer power Alexis, influence. I offer the guidance to grow into your truth, to pull it from those who would hide it. And, most of all... I offer you a place far from here, so far you could not possibly imagine it, where you can live and grow and find purpose away from the peril that surrounds you here. In return, serve me and trust that I guide you true. What say you, Alexis?"

It occurs to her later that the image had never used her family name, that perhaps it was taken long before she offered it. In the moment, however, a smile finds its way through the tears on her face. "Taker of Names, you have a bargain. Now, tell me more..."

The candle sputtered and died eventually, but the conversation lasted longer than any night should have...

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to thank everybody for their time making apps and submitting them, as well as the patience for me waiting after a week after the supposed deadline to pick apps.
    That said, I'll be accepting the following players and characters into the game:
    Luccan (Lyle Larson)
    PeacefulOak (Alexis Darknamer)
    Foryn Gilnith (Alain Chartier)
    Jopustopin (Gryfhild Volundson)
    Kylelopezwms (Drake Thatcher)

-and that's your party. If anybody can't make it, I have a few backups in mind.

If you can make it, head over to the OOC thread and answer a few questions for me.
    Spoiler
    Show