New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pluto Isn't Even A Planet?! What?!

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Because we have no good way to distinguish between "a sun, like, in general, any of them" and "the particular sun that is in our solar system" (because for most of English-language history, that wasn't really a distinction that needed making), so the two conventions that have emerged are to capitalize Sun ("many solar systems have suns, and our sun is called The Sun") and to instead call ours Sol ("many solar systems have suns, and our sun is called Sol") in situations where it might be at all ambiguous which meaning you're using.
    Sure there is: there are many stars, but ours is the sun (or the Sun, if you prefer to capitalize it). They were called stars before they were called suns anyways.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

I imagine, at least within Sci-Fi, there's a desire to not have distinguishers of "the". There are many moons, so they don't want a The Moon. Thus... it's a good-enough sounding alternative. Same with a The Sun. Especially because someone in another system would colloquially refer to "the sun" (and possibly "the moon", if applicable) of their own planet.

Earth doesn't quite have that problem (unless you go for "the Earth", which isn't possible with a more distinct proper name... you don't say "the Jupiter", after all), but any 'Terra' or other related thing is usually done in order to make it sound instinctively different.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Sure there is: there are many stars, but ours is the sun (or the Sun, if you prefer to capitalize it). They were called stars before they were called suns anyways.
    It only ever becomes a potential issue when you're talking about living in other solar systems, because it would be odd for people living in such a system to refer to their sun by its full name all the time just to distinguish it from some random star elsewhere--this is why Sol is a popular name in SF. Not sure about the Terra/Earth thing myself, though, although I suppose there's a possibility of confusion between earth (as in the stuff you grow your plants in) and Earth the planet.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

As I understand it, the "surface" of the surface-less gas giants is the point where the atmospheric pressure equals Earth's average pressure at sea level.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    A dwarf planet is still a planet right?
    According to the astronomers that defined and voted for the term: nope. A dwarf planet is, linguistingly confusing as it is, not actually a planet.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I use to be very good at doing arithmetic in my head.
    I was a server for many years. When they came out with the mobile/handheld debit machines, one of the unexpected results was that, instead of being able to take three or four cards ("Just split it evenly.") over to the counter-top machine and doing the math on paper, I had to start doing it right there at the table, in my head, while they all stared at me.

I got really good at dividing things by two and three. Lightning quick with very high accuracy.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    linguistingly
    Fair attempt, but should be "linguistically".
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Why do English speakers sometimes switch to Latin names when talking about the sun, moon and Earth at seemingly random?

I am legitimately confused here.
    I thought that they were switching to the names given by the International Astronomical Union, but apparently it's merely the influx of science fiction authors. I guess that sci-fi does this because English doesn't have names for most planets that aren't the Latin ones, so they use Latin by analogy.

In astronomy, "sol" actually means a solar day on a different planet than Earth. It's used with this meaning on the NASA website.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Close. It's actually linguine.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

There are living people who are older than Pluto's designation as a planet. Dinosaurs were discovered more than a hundred years before Pluto, and yet when scientists said "hey apparently they had feathers" it had less pushback than "we're not calling Pluto a planet anymore." You can talk about "historical weight" all you want, but in reality there's barely any historical weight behind it. That argument is basically little more than "it was a planet all my life" in fancier clothes. And that's ignoring how "it used to be that way" is an inherently poor argument to begin with.
    Yyyup. It was a planet for 76 years, which is not only little more than a rounding error in terms of the history of astronomy (the first six planets having been known for at least three thousand years and possibly more than double that) but it's already been a sixth as long since the demotion as its entire lifetime as a planet in the first place.

Not only are there living people older than Pluto's discovery, but it won't be long until there are people with kids of their own who have never known a world in which Pluto was a planet, either*. Again.

*I mean, there probably already are, but I don't want to think about that more than I have to.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

According to the astronomers that defined and voted for the term: nope. A dwarf planet is, linguistingly confusing as it is, not actually a planet.
    It is, however, a dwarf, so it'll be able to multiclass as long as we're still playing 2nd Edition or earlier. I'm thinking fighter/cleric.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Close. It's actually linguine.
    I know my love for big words and long sentences may suggest otherwise, but I'm a big fan of the "yellow sauce rule"*. If my idea came across, I'm happy. But thanks for the lesson.

*If person A asks for the yellow sauce even though they mean the pink whisky** cocktail sauce, and person B gives them said pink sauce (prefferably without thinking about it too hard), success!

**Another favorite of the spelling game, since the spelling depends on where it's from.

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    It is, however, a dwarf, so it'll be able to multiclass as long as we're still playing 2nd Edition or earlier. I'm thinking fighter/cleric.
    I don't know, the lack of hp kind of hurts it. I hear they go pretty well with meteor swarm though, so maybe put some wizard in there?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-11-07 at 01:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I know my love for big words and long sentences may suggest otherwise, but I'm a big fan of the "yellow sauce rule"*. If my idea came across, I'm happy. But thanks for the lesson.

*If person A asks for the yellow sauce even though they mean the pink whisky** cocktail sauce, and person B gives them said pink sauce (prefferably without thinking about it too hard), success!

**Another favorite of the spelling game, since the spelling depends on where it's from.
    May I suggest "lingusting" as an option. Which would represent a made up term that is somehow disturbing to oneself. E.g. I bet linguists would be totally lingusted by my creating such a word.

14. - Top - End - #164

*If person A asks for the yellow sauce even though they mean the pink whisky** cocktail sauce, and person B gives them said pink sauce (prefferably without thinking about it too hard), success!.
    Ah, then you'll particularly enjoy this big word! Linguistic descriptivism. Basically a fancier way of saying "yellow sauce rule."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

There was a special astronomy video on a college campus I recently watched. It was designed for kids and they slipped in that pluto was still classified as a 'planet'. Those kids are in for a rude awakening when they get older.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2019-11-07 at 10:43 AM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

"Earth" might only be used for one planet, but it's also used for a substance. If we ever send colonists to a habitable world around tau Ceti, they'll plant crops in the earth, and try to get their chores done before sunset.

And I think this all started because of my use of "Luna", but that was a post arguing that said body should be considered a planet (or, more precisely, a rockball) rather than a moon, and it'd be absurd to say "the Moon isn't a moon".
    Last edited by Chronos; 2019-11-07 at 12:55 PM.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #167
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    "Earth" might only be used for one planet, but it's also used for a substance. If we ever send colonists to a habitable world around tau Ceti, they'll plant crops in the earth, and try to get their chores done before sunset.
    Part of why many sci-fi franchises call us Terrans, I suppose.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Part of why many sci-fi franchises call us Terrans, I suppose.
    I prefer the one true sci-fi show, which termed us Earthicans.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, even NASA is roughly as likely to talk about a lunar lander as about a moon mission. It's not that outlandish a word.

For good interstellar recognition it might help to have a good name for the sun. It's hard to think of a good one with few universal points of reference (we traditionally named most stars after the constellation they appear part of as seen from Earth, newer objects can just be known as "Person or telescope that found it [number]"). But ones you have a good name Earth is just [Name]3 or that one place where people live around there. (Unless dwarf planets and large astroids are common enough near stars that nobody agrees on a general method of counting.)
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

20. - Top - End - #170

To be fair, even NASA is roughly as likely to talk about a lunar lander as about a moon mission. It's not that outlandish a word.

For good interstellar recognition it might help to have a good name for the sun. It's hard to think of a good one with few universal points of reference (we traditionally named most stars after the constellation they appear part of as seen from Earth, newer objects can just be known as "Person or telescope that found it [number]"). But ones you have a good name Earth is just [Name]3 or that one place where people live around there. (Unless dwarf planets and large astroids are common enough near stars that nobody agrees on a general method of counting.)
    Everyone thinks the Moon is a dumb name for our moon and the Sun is a dumb name for our sun, but I've never heard anyone opine that the Solar System is a dumb name for our solar system.

We are a simple people.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-07 at 03:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Everyone thinks the Moon is a dumb name for our moon and the Sun is a dumb name for our sun, but I've never heard anyone opine that the Solar System is a dumb name for our solar system.

We are a simple people.
    https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-08-07
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

"Moon" and "Sun" are more like titles, or job descriptions, than "names". (We even say "the Moon", "the Sun" - linguistic dead giveaway there.) Which is why they're relative, even though they clearly apply to specific objects.
    Last edited by veti; 2019-11-07 at 07:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Liberal use of "Terra" bothers me unduly not just because it's "wrong", but because I feel it's the wrong word to have chosen for the world of those available.

The "consistent" name would be Gaia, but if we're taking a straight Latin translation of "Earth" for some reason then we have a choice of "Terra" or "Tellus", and the latter is wholly superior.

Firstly, while neither word is wholly devoid of ambiguity, "Tellus" is used more in the sense that we mean "Earth" rather than "earth", is absent from Latin loanwords and phrases referring to "soil", "ground", etc. and therefore doesn't mirror the existing ambiguity in English. Because why would you want to?

Secondly, it's not a homophone of an existing noun.

Third is personal and aesthetic. I just don't like nouns, especially proper nouns, that end in a hanging schwa, which I think is principally because they're annoying when followed by "and" - which is probably the word that follows them more than any other. And "Terra" is particularly bad because the "r"s are approximants, and thus excuses for consonants. "Tellus" by contrast has a pleasing weight and and finality to it.

Now if only I could get all sci-fi writers to agree with me, the world would be improved (pun intended, such as it is).
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2019-11-07 at 07:23 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    "Moon" and "Sun" are more like titles, or job descriptions, than "names". (We even say "the Moon", "the Sun" - linguistic dead giveaway there.) Which is why they're relative, even though they clearly apply to specific objects.
    Or they're the proper names all scientists use, and we use articles because English has all the consistency of water to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    The "consistent" name
    Speaking of....
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-07 at 08:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I always think of that one when peope argue about use of the names for our celestial bodies.

And yes the Solar System is a bad name. And the Sol system isn't much better.

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I always think of that one when peope argue about use of the names for our celestial bodies.

And yes the Solar System is a bad name. And the Sol system isn't much better.
    That comic was THIRTEEN YEARS AGO.
    The Cranky Gamer

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Liberal use of "Terra" bothers me unduly not just because it's "wrong", but because I feel it's the wrong word to have chosen for the world of those available.

The "consistent" name would be Gaia, but if we're taking a straight Latin translation of "Earth" for some reason then we have a choice of "Terra" or "Tellus", and the latter is wholly superior.

Firstly, while neither word is wholly devoid of ambiguity, "Tellus" is used more in the sense that we mean "Earth" rather than "earth", is absent from Latin loanwords and phrases referring to "soil", "ground", etc. and therefore doesn't mirror the existing ambiguity in English. Because why would you want to?

Third is personal and aesthetic. I just don't like nouns, especially proper nouns, that end in a hanging schwa, which I think is principally because they're annoying when followed by "and" - which is probably the word that follows them more than any other. And "Terra" is particularly bad because the "r"s are approximants, and thus excuses for consonants. "Tellus" by contrast has a pleasing weight and and finality to it.

Now if only I could get all sci-fi writers to agree with me, the world would be improved (pun intended, such as it is).
    So why don't you "tell us" how that's working out?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

NASA chief Jim Bridenstine doubles down on claim Pluto is a planet, citing its moons, oceans and organic compounds

Why should it be Gaia? It's Greek, English planet names are Latin loanwords. There is the "telluric" adjective, although it may be less frequent. And both Tellus and Terra were names for the Latin goddess of earth (although Terra was used later in this sense), as well as for the earthly globe.

But I also would have expected the Anglophone to use Tellus, if just not to remind of Italian or Portuguese instead of Latin. Maybe Tellurean or Tellurian sounded bad, or even too "alien" for us Terrestrials?

EDIT: I later realised that Uranus is Greek. And, well, Pluto, if you will it.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2019-11-08 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).