New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: WotC wants to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zerubbabel View Post
    This is a ridiculously long survey...
    You've never said yes to someone asking if you could fill in a survey that they mail to you, have you? I still remember the 50 pages long document...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I answered. I basically don't play D&D 5E and I'm not sure that came across, but eh.

I just hope my emphasising the Forgotten Realms and Baldur's Gate where possible was a hint of 'hey, maybe release a Forgotten Realms campaign setting that covers more than just a quarter of the world map'.
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

They really should have let a space for free expression.

There is a space for why we would / wouldn't recommend the game to a new player, and despite marking a 8/10 score on recommendation, i used that space to rant about the ambiguous wording and the lack of PDF release.

And contrary to what they may think, subscribing to DnDBeyond is not the same thing that purchasing the books.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

I would have preferred if physical books came with a code you could put on a site like D&D Beyond and it'd give you digital access to the book as well. And then you could connect Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds to the D&D Beyond account and it'd allow the use of the rules in the game.

That'd be optimal for my use anyway.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

The only thing I didn't really answer was the question about how much I've spent on products. Not that I mind telling them, but I have no freaking idea.

I hope that doesn't degrade the value of my responses...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Interesting survey, but I'm curious of something if it's a wizards of the coast survey why is it on Gizmo website?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirGraystone View Post
    Interesting survey, but I'm curious of something if it's a wizards of the coast survey why is it on Gizmo website?
    They're probably just using them as a service. My company uses Survey Monkey all the time despite employing a fully-staffed web development team.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just hope picking Warlord as one of my "favorite classes" gives them the hint that they should come out with a 5e version of the warlord.

9. - Top - End - #39

Does anybody else like messing with surveys just a little bit? For "what social media do you follow us on," I put "Grindr" under the other section. Some poor intern is going to see that and just go, "Wait, we're on Grindr?" Hehehehe....

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Filled it out.

I doubt they like my answers.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    Does anybody else like messing with surveys just a little bit? For "what social media do you follow us on," I put "Grindr" under the other section. Some poor intern is going to see that and just go, "Wait, we're on Grindr?" Hehehehe....
    Yeah, but then I felt bad, so I went back and edited my filled in Other response under hobbies to say "general redneckery" instead of "your mom". I was also disappointed that Heroes of the Lance wasn't a choice among digital versions of the game, so I made sure to put that in.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Yeah, but then I felt bad, so I went back and edited my filled in Other response under hobbies to say "general redneckery" instead of "your mom". I was also disappointed that Heroes of the Lance wasn't a choice among digital versions of the game, so I made sure to put that in.

I blocked that game out of my memory. It was the frustrating game from my childhood, the only one I never really got anywhere with.

Technically, that was the first D&D anything I had ever been exposed to. It's a miracle I ever made it past that.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zerubbabel View Post
    This is a ridiculously long survey...
    You've never worked for a phone survey company, have you? I had a survey that typically took 40-60 minutes to get through, mostly depending on how much TV the respondent watched. People hated that survey (and so did I)!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    You've never worked for a phone survey company, have you? I had a survey that typically took 40-60 minutes to get through, mostly depending on how much TV the respondent watched. People hated that survey (and so did I)!
    Something else being bad/worse doesn't make this better, just like for the by-mail survey response. How many people hung up on you or refused to complete the survey? It's reasonable issue for the WOTC survey too, and that can mean they end up with biased or otherwise bad data.

15. - Top - End - #45

PaladinGuy

Responded. Got to put Spellfire in the “other games you play currently” question. Felt old.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting that they have the Warlord listed as a possible favorite class.

I think there's been a few attempts at kinda getting that 'feel', with oddly enough the Order Domain doing it the best, but nothing has really captured it.

I'd be interested in seeing it come back for 5E. Anyone else remember the 'Lazylord' builds from 4E?

I picked it just to show interest.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    The timing of that question was very misleading for my answer. I've bought several of the module books recently so it looks like I would spend several hundred a year on the hobby, but that projected spending is about to drop considerably as I finish getting the remaining 5e books.
    I had the opposite -- I haven't bought many 5e products lately (does a lightly used copy of Volos from Half-Price Books count?) but had three $50ish Kickstarters for 3rd party stuff come up in that time. So it looks as though I spend a fortune on 3rd party stuff and nothing on official products.

Also gave GITP a shout-out (I don't post much but read regularly) and was surprised to not see the old SSI Gold Box games listed as an option when asked which digital D&D games you've played.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by SirGraystone View Post
    As I work for a company that uses sourced survey tools, Quality control, data management, data security, and baked in reporting options. Why rebuild the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    As I do surveys for a living... Okay, this one amuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    Also gave GITP a shout-out (I don't post much but read regularly) and was surprised to not see the old SSI Gold Box games listed as an option when asked which digital D&D games you've played.
    Same here. On all points.

Did anyone else have Mutant: Year Zero on their other games list? That seemed seriously random compared to all the PC games on the list. Maybe a random shuffle of options?
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Funny thing worth noting, I didn't see AUD as a currency option and had to pick other.
    Australia doesn't exist, I keep telling you!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyChewie View Post
    Responded. Got to put Spellfire in the “other games you play currently” question. Felt old.
    I did not enter Star Frontiers. That's old.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Australia doesn't exist, I keep telling you!

WTF do you mean? Of course Austria exists! It's right there on the other side of the Alps.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Filled it yesterday, on my phone, before going to my weekly game. It's pretty surprising to see their choices for games you play(ed): you get your expected RPGs, both Western and Japanese, in big chunks (as in, have you ever played one of the 15+ Final Fantasy games?), but other choices I'd feel would fit aren't there (what about Civ? Age of Empires, IIRC, is there), and others make little sense to me other than they're popular (like, say...Destiny?)

Also: no Shifter between the races? There's Changelings, Warforged and even Aasimar, but no Shifters. After Aasimars and Dwarves, they're one of my favorite races (alongside Humans and Githzerai).

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Interesting that they have the Warlord listed as a possible favorite class.

I think there's been a few attempts at kinda getting that 'feel', with oddly enough the Order Domain doing it the best, but nothing has really captured it.

I'd be interested in seeing it come back for 5E. Anyone else remember the 'Lazylord' builds from 4E?

I picked it just to show interest.
    Me too. Though I would prefer to call it "Marshal" rather than "Warlord" (one suggests a military officer, the other a mercenary leader), I'd still like to see how they work with a purely martial "leader" class, one that provides buffs without the need of magic. (I mean, there could be a Tactician class that works by casting spells to alter the terrain and blast enemies and protect and buff allies, but for the most part, it'd be much like the Eldritch Knight for the Fighter.) Thing is, Warlord/Marshal is in that thin line where it only barely approaches the class design paradigm: every class has to have a set of subclasses that are distinct from each other, and the class itself shouldn't work better as a subclass of another (hence, why no Swashbuckler or Samurai or Favored Soul or Avenger as its own class, instead being a Rogue, Fighter, Sorcerer or Paladin subclass). You could imagine variants of Warlords/Marshals that fit different ways of leadership (through strategy, through magic, through fear, through inspiration), but the difficulty would be to define what each of those classes has in common - mostly the reason why the Mystic was basically scrapped, since even though it should be easy to port, the devs still can't deal with its core concept.

However, if people show off enough interest, it may see a resurgence. I feel the Incarnate (and Incarnum as a system) could also see a resurgence, though you'd need to justify what you can do with it.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Me too. Though I would prefer to call it "Marshal" rather than "Warlord" (one suggests a military officer, the other a mercenary leader), I'd still like to see how they work with a purely martial "leader" class, one that provides buffs without the need of magic. (I mean, there could be a Tactician class that works by casting spells to alter the terrain and blast enemies and protect and buff allies, but for the most part, it'd be much like the Eldritch Knight for the Fighter.) Thing is, Warlord/Marshal is in that thin line where it only barely approaches the class design paradigm: every class has to have a set of subclasses that are distinct from each other, and the class itself shouldn't work better as a subclass of another (hence, why no Swashbuckler or Samurai or Favored Soul or Avenger as its own class, instead being a Rogue, Fighter, Sorcerer or Paladin subclass). You could imagine variants of Warlords/Marshals that fit different ways of leadership (through strategy, through magic, through fear, through inspiration), but the difficulty would be to define what each of those classes has in common - mostly the reason why the Mystic was basically scrapped, since even though it should be easy to port, the devs still can't deal with its core concept.
    Perhaps merge concepts so it's more than a one trick pony? Like how bards aren't just performers.
    Perhaps if runes or truespeech or incarnum became a new system a warlord-esque class would fit into it, and if you wanted purely non-magical (in the fighter and rogue sense) options make those subclasses of existing classes.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    They really should have let a space for free expression.
    Yeah, I kept waiting for that, and was surprised when I finished without getting it at the end. I was hoping to express how what I'd most like to see in the near-ish future is proper 5e Psionics. I suppose marking "Mystic/Psion" as one of my favorite classes will have to do there, though it's potentially misleading since I'm actually not totally happy with the UA "Mystic" in its existing incarnation for a variety of reasons.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Perhaps merge concepts so it's more than a one trick pony? Like how bards aren't just performers.
    Perhaps if runes or truespeech or incarnum became a new system a warlord-esque class would fit into it, and if you wanted purely non-magical (in the fighter and rogue sense) options make those subclasses of existing classes.
    like "I shouted your name right and very hard so you got to perform well" (truenaming warlord)?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    like "I shouted your name right and very hard so you got to perform well" (truenaming warlord)?
    Wait, a subclass that lets me fulfill my dream of being a supporting character or love interest in a Shonen Anime?

Yeah, I could go for this!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that's basically Truespeech I suppose. It's the Command and Power Word X spells taken and expanded into a language.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I am surprised they asked more about video games than about other TTRPGs... not sure I like the implications of that.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

"Creating my own custom classes/races/NPCs/monsters/spells/artifacts." == Extremely Important

I like homebrewing.

That was a long survey. Just like others said. But it's worth it.

I mentioned that my chief issue with 5e was bounded accuracy (you shouldn't rely so heavily on a system to enforce balance, pick your own and have the players and DM work together to make it happen imo) and mother may I skills (since you can't know what DCs you need to hit to do anything at all when you're building your character).

EDIT: Forgot to tell them to not simplify classes and content too much. Restricts possibilities in homebrewing and just in general. Imo.

Next endeavor... make an attempt at homebrewing the crimson curse for 3.5 (maybe mummy rot removal template...)
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2019-10-30 at 06:29 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I am surprised they asked more about video games than about other TTRPGs... not sure I like the implications of that.
    I'm actually glad they do.
    Other games, especially video games, are an easy wellspring of concepts.
    I know I developed my Tinker Ranger entirely while on a Horizon: Zero Dawn high.