New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default How important is coffee?

Spoiler: Oversized image
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-04 at 07:48 PM.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: How important is coffee?

I find this comical, but the stats are all wrong.

Plus to concentration is good. Could also do int.

But penalty when empty? That’s when you drank all of it.

Also... I came here to say I didn’t drink much coffee before working night shift, but now at least 2 cups per day (night???) is mandatory.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    But penalty when empty? That’s when you drank all of it.
    It really should be a cursed item causing all those penalties while empty.

One of the sadder realisations is the documentary that noted that coffe only takes you back to normal after awhile. It doesn't actually improve your stats as it were.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    One of the sadder realisations is the documentary that noted that coffe only takes you back to normal after awhile. It doesn't actually improve your stats as it were.
    Yeah, while I've found it works well in the early morning I'm not sure if that's because it's actually helping out because by the time I've drunk a cup of coffee I've properly woken up on my own. But vital at the end of the afternoon to push you through that last bit of work.

Heck, I'll sometimes allow coffee consumption in games to negate the first level of fatigue penalties for a while (couple of in game hours), despite not letting it give you any bonus against increasing fatigue. Tea doesn't do that though, it just gives +4 Charisma when drunk from a china teacup.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

On a semi-serious note, I reckon it's had a lot of impact on trade and farming, so fairly important historically. And I can see it as a modifier in games; and, indeed, some games have rules for caffeine consumption.

In real life, ...well, certainty it is a large industry and a lot of folk use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    But vital at the end of the afternoon to push you through that last bit of work.
    I've stopped drinking coffee in the morning, but I usually get a cup between 1-3 pm for that purpose. About that time now, actually.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Basically, studies showed, if you are a habitual coffe drinker, that cup only takes you to a normal level you'd have had if you didn't drink coffee.

Which means that coffe cup in the worning that wakes us up, gets us to the exact same place a non-drinker already was.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Coffee doesn't give you energy, it just makes your tired-o-meter stop 'til ya drop.

Nevertheless, coffee is good. I've quit drinking it daily, though, and it's mostly a social thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Basically legal cocaine-equivilant solution with a vile taste in my opinion but to each their own.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I love flavor kind such as Wild Mountain Blueberry and Vermont Country Blend.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Basically legal cocaine-equivilant solution with a vile taste in my opinion but to each their own.
    A friend of mine says that coffee tastes like earth, and that's something I can't deny.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Coffee: It's Maaaaaagic!

"We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I know there's a coffee meme somewhere on the internet:

Imagine when you're that person drinking the first cup of coffee you realize you crash an hour later.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't know if I'd call hot bean water a cocaine equivalent. I do think people put way too much emphasis on it, though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't know if I'd call hot bean water a cocaine equivalent. I do think people put way too much emphasis on it, though.
    True, it's no hot leaf juice.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-11-09 at 05:43 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    True, it's no hot leaf juice.
    Hot leaf water. You're confusing that last part with fruit water.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking as someone who knows several former cocaine users, I can confirm that they're not remotely equivalent.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Give powder caffeine to a cocaine addict. When this has been done in the past in legal tests they have been very happy....thus I'll say fruit pit water and coca leaf tea (like you'd find in Peru/Bolivia) are pretty much similar in many ways (though not for altitude issues apparently).

As for it tasting like earth....I'd actually disagree. as I like Peat-y whiskeys, Russian Tea, and various tubers also called "earthy" and I find limited to no similarity to them...it does kinda remind me of the slime that forms on too-old veggies (something high and sharp like broccoli or parsnip) if you somehow lit it on fire. . .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

May I add to the debate:

Spoiler
    Show
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I have tried weeks without coffee, I drink it regularly, (and a tad too much to be honest). But it helps alleviate the negatives of a shifting work schedule, if you time your "crashes" right.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Basically, studies showed, if you are a habitual coffe drinker, that cup only takes you to a normal level you'd have had if you didn't drink coffee.

Which means that coffe cup in the worning that wakes us up, gets us to the exact same place a non-drinker already was.
    I agree but you can "work around" this by allowing your caffeine level to drop, and by manually monitoring your sleep schedule (as in: Don't let your feeling of tiredness do the work).

In a week of early shifts (up a 4am, at work at 6am), I drink two double cups with a tad of milk to get myself slowly to a level where I can concentrate enough to handle money. At work, I have my break at 9, where I drink a cup of cappuccino (a third of espresso), and then I let the caffeine peter out.

After my shift is done, I usually take a nap from 3-5pm to catch up on sleep because I usually go to bed at 11pm which nets only 5 hours of sleep.

I really don't agree. Sure it is a legal drug (at least to me), but I am pretty sure you never tasted actual GOOD coffee. It took me a while to get "used" to it, started off with a bad coffee machine. I needed it in college to postpone my crash after 10 hours of uni, to finish my protocols for chemistry labs; usually due at the end of semester but if you don't do them immediately you have a huge backlog and also NO fricking idea what you did in the lab. So I needed to stay awake from 10pm-1 am on a bad day.

My point being that coffee can be a tool, but it can also be a luxury food/drink. I have a small coffee machine with a grinder for whole beans now (ground up coffee oxidizes really quickly, loosing much of its flavor). A pot of coffee on a heater pad gets bitter really fast. And I won't start on the ABOMINATIONS chains like Starbuck's create from coffee, liquid sugar and aroma.

Those are the real frankenbeverages (they're great if you want a big dessert but have no time to eat it tho).

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I love flavor kind such as Wild Mountain Blueberry and Vermont Country Blend.
    These sound like an energy drink brand and a variation of tobacco

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    These sound like an energy drink brand and a variation of tobacco
    It isn't. It's a Keurig brand.

21. - Top - End - #21

I am pretty sure you never tasted actual GOOD coffee.
    Does every food someone doesn't like mean they just haven't had a GOOD version of that food? Or is coffee special?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-10 at 01:07 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    May I add to the debate:

-Image Snipped-
    I love it. Perfect.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Does every food someone doesn't like mean they just haven't had a GOOD version of that food? Or is coffee special?
    I'm largely with you here, but to an extent coffee is special - it's a food where the worse versions are extremely prevalent, but which doesn't have obvious quality markers to the extent of, say, canned vs. frozen vs. fresh fruit. I say this as someone who is emphatically not a coffee snob and will happily drink the bad stuff.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I'm largely with you here, but to an extent coffee is special - it's a food where the worse versions are extremely prevalent, but which doesn't have obvious quality markers to the extent of, say, canned vs. frozen vs. fresh fruit. I say this as someone who is emphatically not a coffee snob and will happily drink the bad stuff.
    As an avid disliker of coffee, I'll totally buy that. It's sheer prevalence means there will totally be a massive good-bad spectrum. Pizza would be in a similar category, I'd think.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

There is a lot that can go wrong with coffee.

1) Unripe coffee beans or beans gone bad. A single bean is enough to ruin a pound of coffee. Similarly rancid oil from the roasting process. You know the cup when you taste it. Incredibly seldom tho.

2) Oxidized ground coffee. Becomes stale and bland. Usually people then either overdose the powder to get more taste, but the whole batch becomes incredibly bitter as a result.

3) Dirty and old machines. There is a reason most commercial machines have a daily cleaning process, a monthly descaling and a yearly maintenance. Coffee oil is grimey, like any oil, it spoils after a time. Now imagine the innards of an office coffee machine providing at least a few pots of coffee daily. Yuck!

4) Water hardness. I live in a place with very hard water. If it weren't for my descaling filter, my coffee would SUCK majorly. I have to descale monthly (even though I only get about 4 cups a day) and it is recommended to me to use bottled water for the machine (where I dont do it and simply use the public water that is, despite being harder, is much better for the environment). I am unsure if situations like Flint, Michigan are similar in other states.

But I can totally understand that one does not drink coffee for it should not be consumed but enjoyed. Sorry if I went overboard on it, but I manage a small bakery that has a professional machine, and boooooy did many things go wrong in the past 7 years with just it. Gaskets starting to leak (and cause ground powder to seep into customers cups), a major descaling venture where the pressure chamber of the machine was relieved of 20 pounds of limescale, the occasional bad batch of coffee (it is still a plant, you can get a "bad season" of coffee) and my coworkers ruining almost any coffee specialty (too much milk in the Latte Macchiato, spoiled milk in a cappuccino, they even managed to ruin espressos).
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-11-11 at 10:51 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

This thread reminds me...

While I do drink a fair amount of coffee, I believe I’ve never had good coffee. Just stuff from Walmart and Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I know there was a food debate or food war in this forum that somebody mentioned and it all ended by name-calling which has gotten out of hand.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I've never had a cup of coffee; tasted some but never was very good, and I (like to think I) function just fine.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I really don't agree. Sure it is a legal drug (at least to me), but I am pretty sure you never tasted actual GOOD coffee. It took me a while to get "used" to it, started off with a bad coffee machine. I needed it in college to postpone my crash after 10 hours of uni, to finish my protocols for chemistry labs; usually due at the end of semester but if you don't do them immediately you have a huge backlog and also NO fricking idea what you did in the lab. So I needed to stay awake from 10pm-1 am on a bad day.

My point being that coffee can be a tool, but it can also be a luxury food/drink. I have a small coffee machine with a grinder for whole beans now (ground up coffee oxidizes really quickly, loosing much of its flavor). A pot of coffee on a heater pad gets bitter really fast. And I won't start on the ABOMINATIONS chains like Starbuck's create from coffee, liquid sugar and aroma.

Those are the real frankenbeverages (they're great if you want a big dessert but have no time to eat it tho).
    Firstly I very much have had good coffee. Too "Good". The above idea (from that admittedly funny image) that coffee drinkers look at tea drinkers as snobs seems utterly ridiculous to me since the people who try to get me to drink coffee are the type who have won awards for their grinding/blending,barista skills...(and they know their stuff...they were able to replicate my exes favorite blend from SF from a some descriptions and then re-jigger it to work from the machine she had at home better..so obviously skilled but just in a field I find repellent)...and those fools introduced me to coffee graders that work with our local roasting houses and still didn't like their picks (though I will say they were far far better).
    So yeah ... I just don't like the taste of coffee.

And while these types really do seem to enjoy it as an experience (which I totally support) I find the vast majority just drink it as a legal stimulant and are chasing the chemical effect....I have the same feelings toward those who drink alcoholic beverages of foul taste. I know there are exceptionally fine tequilas and horrible ones, but I have had the full range and don't like any of them. But if somebody tells me BEER, or TEQUILA is super-important in their life and has giant containers for it proclaiming it a key stat boosting whatever...I'm going to express concern and probably start looking for signs of alcoholism. Thusly the "coffee is super important" (and not because is it a social ritual that one finds a powerful bonding experience or a powerful way to connect with ones senses and personal awareness) then I'm going to look at someone the same way.

Also the taste puts me off of coffee as an ingredient (classical meat treatments or desserts). I wish I did like the taste. It would be something more in life to enjoy and revel in. Those desserts would bring me joy instead of cringing. And I would like more joy if I could.

P.S. I find sprinkles in coca leaves a slight chalky layer in the drink. Hard or gelatinous candies seem to mix better IME unless your mix already contains emulsifiers (which usually means its not of high quality)....personally I like a candy cane stir-stick.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems."
    -- Alfréd Rényi (often erroneously attributed to Paul Erdős)