The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 85
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Spoiler: Opening
    Show
    For several weeks, excitement has been building
    in Kenabres—Armasse is coming! Traditionally an
    opportunity for scholars and priests to come together to
    study the lessons of history from wars past, since Aroden’s
    death, this holy day has become more about training
    commoners in weaponry, choosing squires, and ordaining
    new priests. Over time, Armasse has grown to encompass
    jousting competitions, mock duels, battle reenactments,
    and other festival events. In Kenabres, the festival (which
    takes place on 16 Arodus) is eagerly anticipated, for it
    provides distractions from the horrors of being on the
    front line of the war. Smiles on faces normally marred
    by downcast eyes and furrowed brows do wonders for city
    morale in the weeks leading up to the event.
    Armasse is a citywide celebration, but the majority
    of the event, including its jousting matches and other
    entertainments, takes place at Clydwell Plaza, just west
    of the cathedral.


    The day is finally here and the sun is high in the sky, Clydwell Plaza is packed to bursting, but you lucky six have an excellent view of the stage upon which Lord Hulrun will officially begin the celebrations in just a few minutes time.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    In4Dimensions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Frozen Hell
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Arkine gazed up at the magnificent stage upon which Lord Hulrun would soon be standing. She’d been to Armasse several times in the past, of course, but seeing all the smiling faces was always a pleasant sight, compared to the usual downtrodden looks of the citizens. She and her sister had managed to get a relatively good view of the stage, to which she offered a short prayer to Desna for. Later in the day, she planned to part in the mock duels; she learned a good deal of her fighting skills training with knights and crusaders during Armasse in years past, and she feels the need to pay back her community. Besides, combat helps distract her from her worries, and with her flashy fighting style and unique weapon, she has been a fan favorite for several years.

    She turns towards her sister, a mischievous glint in her eye. “Hey Gisa, wanna fight me in a mock battle later? I bet the crowds would just lap it up,” she says with a laugh and a smile.
    Chaotic Good, probably

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    As Shyndra wanders through the festival, she feels considerable anxiety. Her gaze sweeps through the crowds, looking for one of her cousins or other relatives. She would feel much more comfortable if she could find one to anchor to, as they help her with her shyness.

    Still, she realizes moving may not be the most effective means to locate them, so she looks for some place to wait and distract herself until she spots one of her kin. She searches amongst the various booths and solicitors, trying to find either some lore on demons and any other creatures near the Worldwound. Either that or perhaps she can find some distraction if she spots an archery booth.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Jonas was winding his way through the crowd. He traveled in a big group of fellow squires, they were a motley crew of different races, sexes, and different orders. The folk of Kenebres treated the small group like favorite sons, conquering heroes and local starlets. Many people handed out free trinkets and small bits of food to the young squires. The young men and women were all caught up in the adventures they were about to begin,speaking and laughing with the gusto of youthful naïveté.

    Jonas beamed his bright smile all about. Taking in the sights and sounds of the day. He swore he would never forget today. The lot of them were to be knighted and sworn to the Queen’s service. It was a good day, a glorious day. Catching sight of cousin Shyndra he hollared a greeting towards her. His voice was lost in the faire like atmosphere, so he whooped at her again and again. Using the old trusty family signal. He harumphed, separated himself from the throng of young warriors and began weaving through the crowd to speak with his cousin. Being that the preparations for knighthood were many and some were secret; he hadn’t seen any of his siblings for nearly a tenday,. It would’ve been grand to have a friendly familiar ear to twist.

    ”Ho there Hunter, having a grand time this Armasse? he spoke as he closed the distance and clamped arms with his cousin. A warriors greeting, the Hunter clan equivalent to a warm hug.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Deadguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Gisela rolled her eyes at her sister's teasing. It was good to see her in old form. At least Arkine had worked up the courage to go out into such a large crowd again. Gisela had been prepared for one of her panic attacks. To say that she was pleased was an understatement.

    "Arkie, I think you're confused. The boys don't want to see some poor under-developed girl in the arena against you, wielding what amounts to a toothpick... they just want to see you. And that whip-sword. You could be fighting a tree with that thing and they'd still stare until you managed to cut it down."

    She tapped the plain handle of the only weapon she carried. The simply cold iron dagger was nothing for the showing, but it was sharp and did it's job well enough when needed.

    Between them, Arkine had always been the attractive one. Attractive despite her penchant for showing no skin, especially compared to the other girls hoping to attract a man. Maybe it was the mystery of lie beneath that drew the boys to her. Gisela shook that theory away. If that were the case, she would be beating them off with a stick herself. Keeping her birthmark covered was always troublesome when it came to fashion. High collars were not on trend, but then neither were witches.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2019-10-31 at 07:44 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    In4Dimensions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Frozen Hell
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Arkine smiled as she stretched her arms out, fingers locked together and palms facing outwards. “Ah, I suppose you’re right. In a duel of magic, though, I wouldn’t stand a chance.”

    Between the two of them, Gisela had always been the gifted one. Arkine was by no means an idiot, but learning had never been as natural or as easy for her as it was for her sister. This, combined with her studious personality, made Gisela a brilliant mage. Arkine often wondered if the strange tattoo on her sister’s neck and shoulder had anything to do with her magical aptitude, though she had no evidence to prove it either way.

    She tapped her sister’s hand lightly. “After Hulrun’s speech, do you want to get some food? I think I can feel my stomach rumbling.”
    Chaotic Good, probably

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Deadguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Gisela frowned slightly. Her sister always did this. Always too caught up in the moment to pay attention to the most basic needs. She gave a resigned sigh.

    "Stop skipping meals... But yes, we can get food when the speech is over. Of course the lines for the vendors will be terrible, and who knows how long the speech will actually last."

    She reached out and poked Arkine in the side playfully.

    "You may very well waste away if he's feeling especially verbose."

    Patting her bag, she smirked and shook her head without worry.

    "But what kind of sister would I be if I didn't make sure to pack at least a few snacks, just in case."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Shyndra smiled in relief as she clasped arms with her cousin, addressing him by his nickname. "Jon-jon, good to see you. You know how uncomfortable crowds make me, glad to find someone I know. Have you seen any other of our other family members? Hard to see much through this congested area."

    She feels much less anxious after finding someone she knew. Now that she was more comfortable, she turned to the stage to listen to the speaker.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Not for the first time, Kanthus regretted letting herself get swept along as the crowd formed in anticipation. She hadn't come to hear some old man speak, and anyway didn't need to be pushed shoulder-to-shoulder with all these strangers to do it; she could've heard him just fine from the edges of the plaza. The constant noise certainly didn't help her mood. A simple pin dropping could wake her, depending on how fickle the winds felt that day; the excited chatter of the masses threatened to give her a splitting headache.

    Grimacing, she flipped the hood of her cloak up over her head for at least some modicum of relief from the noise, even as she began making a mental checklist for where to go after this crowd broke up some. She supposed she should find some sort of crusaders' headquarters and ask after records, though with a sinking heart she realized she might have arrived at precisely the wrong time for anyone to truly be on duty at such a place. It seemed like she would have some time to kill. I might have to actually ... have fun, she chuckled to herself, resolving to take in the ceremony with slightly less cynical eyes.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    ”I haven’t seen Any of them since I returned from my trials. They will probably be somewhere in the plaza soon. The knighting ceremonies are later today, and Marsalla never misses a chance to cross lances. Eudokia would love to see you. My last letter from her said she had mastered a new circle of magic and has been bursting to show us some new tricks.” He turned his gaze towards the central dais and took it all in...just a few more hours now. He was sure Da and Ma would close up closer to high sun. They would miss the ceremony. He thumbed the enameled clasp holding his light cloak in place. It was a gift from the family, the Hunter clans emblem. A rampant blue griffin on a bronze hexagon.

    “You seen anyone at all? My Ma and Da are should be easy enough to find. Two one legged half elves sorta stand out...and you know Da will be sportin his full dress uniform.” He scanned the crowd and moved to get a better position. Gesturing for Shyndra to follow him forward. He pauses when he gets what he feels is the best view.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Shyndra follows her cousin, keeping close. "I have not noticed any of them through the crowd, but I find this all overwhelming, so many people causing all this din. Indeed, my aunt and uncle maybe normally stand out, but the congestion tends to blur everything."

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Thruffgar has been wandering without a particular destination since early in the morning, well supplied with drink from his family's Inn. It was always interesting to see the crowds that would arrive for Armasse, and the past few years he's had to tend to the bar instead of being able to enjoy it himself. This year, however, he made it clear that he wanted to see Armasse for himself, so he passed it off to his parents as an advertising opportunity.

    As he moves from pack to pack, there's often a "fer the best Dwarven ale, check out th' Drunken Dwarf", a "na a better place to celebrate your victory than th' Drunken Dwarf", or a "oi, ye seem like a tough bugger! Test it out on me pa's stout from th' Drunken Dwarf!".

    Eventually, he finds himself in Clydwell Plaza standing next to a human-looking Tiefling (Kanthus) similarly taking in the crowd.

    "'Lo there, lass. Quite a crowd, aye?"

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    This is quite a long post, as a lot happens in a very short period of time to start things off, for some perspective, this is all happening in under a minute.

    Bells toll loudly, drowning out any possible reply from Kanthus. Noon is here and Halrun Shappok, Lord of Kenabres and leader of the Inquisitors of Mendev steps out onto the raised stage, his polished armour gleaming and resplendent in the midday sun and begins the opening speech.
    Before the first words have left his mouth a light shines from the the west, so blindingly bright that it's as though a second sun has risen from the wrong direction, casting huge distorted shadows across the cathedral's facade. Less than a second later, far too soon for anyone to react, a thunderous explosion ripples outward, shaking the air and earth alike. To the west a brilliant plume of red fire, lightning, and smoke erupts from the space where the fortress known as the Kite, home of Kenabres' Wardstone, should stand.
    A powerful roar follows, accompanying a welcome sight rising from the crowd, Kenabres’s greatest guardian, the ancient silver dragon Terendelev, who had until that moment been attending the opening ceremony disguised as a human. Above, another form appears, as nightmarish as Terendelev is breathtaking. Humanoid in shape, yet easily three times the size of any man, skin dripping with fire and lightning, and wielding sword and whip, both also aflame. There can be no mistaking the monster's identity Khorramzadeh, the Storm King of the Worldwound, has come to Kenabres.
    The fight lasts but a few harrowing moments, as the Storm King's whip cuts deeply into Terendelev’s body as he swoops down to arrest her charge. A few more blows, and the titanic duo spiral downward toward the crowd.
    The sight of the dragon smashing into the facade of the Cathedral of St. Clydwell is one no witness shall ever forget, though few of those here to see it shall have long to try. At that very same moment, a titanic demon erupts out of nowhere at the far end of the plaza, reducing several buildings to ruins as it smashes into this world. The rift it tore shoots across the plaza, and opens below your feet, angling away into darkness. Though she sees death standing over her, Terendelav somehow notices your plight amid the chaos, and seizes this final chance to save a few more souls. She utters a few arcane words and stretches out a bleeding talon, you feel her magic take hold of you, slowing your plummet into the darkness as if you were feathers falling into a pit. Yet the fall remains as inexorable as before, and as you drift downward into the depths, the last thing you see is the Storm King standing before the ancient silver dragon, his sword lashing out and cleaving full through her neck. As her severed head falls, the rift above you slammed shut, and the light of the world above is gone.

    It takes a few moments to recover from your fall, but apart from a thick layer of dirt and some dust filled lungs, you quickly realise that not one of you is truly harmed.
    Those of you who can see in the dark (or who make some light) see that you are in a large underground cavern.
    The ceiling and far walls of the vast cavern recede into darkness. On one side (the west if anyone has a compass), the wall has collapsed in an enormous mound of rubble—here and there the arms or legs of victims who didn’t survive the fall protrude. In the back of the cavern, a disturbing shape looms. Nearly the size of a horse, what appears to be an immense black spider crouches silent and still on the ground. The walls and f loor of this cavern have the rough texture of natural stone. The distant squeaks of bats echo broadly, suggesting that this underground space is large and relatively open. Grit and rock dust covers everything. Clumps of stalagmites jut from the ground

    You also see three other survivors:

    A human woman wearing leather armour, a shortsword and shortbow are on the floor near her, though you see no arrows, more importantly a moderate amount of rubble seems to have landed on here leg. She is yet to move or speak

    An elf wearing a cloak and robes, with horrific, fresh, burns covering his face and charred holes where his eyes should be. A staff is clutched in his right hand.

    And finally a second human, notably more rotund than the other, wearing fine clothes, with an expensive looking cloak and plenty of jewelry.

    Once you have your wits about you, all 6 of you notice that the spider is plainly dead and rotting, though you also hear a disgusting chewing sound coming from it and can see writhing bulges within its abdomen.

    The elf soon speaks up, quite defiant of his injuries "Right, this is clearly an attack on the city by the forces of the worldwound. My name is Aravashnial. I need to know who each of you are and what experience you have fighting demonic forces, or failing that just general combat experience. I shall need one of you to serve as my eyes while the rest handle this fighting"

    Spoiler: Kanthus and Thruffgar only
    Show
    I rolled some sense motive checks, you two passed. You quickly realise that the Aravashnial is a man used to a position of power in his normal life, and he's feeling rather insecure about his current condition. He just wants to feel like a useful, contributing member of the group. Asking him for his opinion and taking advantage of his experience is likely to go a long way to accomplishing that and making him much more agreeable.


    Spoiler: If you inspect the wall of rubble
    Show
    Here and there, bodies are mixed with the rubble—citizens of Kenabres whom the dragon could not save, more interestingly and less morbidly, six silver scales lie scattered amid the stones, each about the size of a human man’s palm. Upon picking any of them up you feel a great rush of sadness tinged with resolute determination along with a sudden flash of insight: These are Terendelev's Scales, shed as she died.

    Spoiler: Details on the thing in the rubble
    Show
    The flash of insight also imparts upon you the effects of the scales, they are as follows (all are CL 19, and they're minor artifacts:

    Cloudwalking: Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast levitate. A pillar of roiling clouds rises below the levitating object or creature, growing and shrinking with the target’s altitude. This pillar is 5 feet in diameter (regardless of the target’s size) and provides concealment (20% miss chance) to any creature or object wholly contained within.

    Disguise: Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast alter self. While disguised, the target gains a +4 bonus on all Bluff checks made against evil creatures.

    Resistance: Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast resist elements—but only against electricity or cold.

    Sacred Weaponry: Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast align weapon, but only to make a weapon lawful or good. Unlike a normal align weapon spell, this effect can be cast on an unarmed strike or natural weapon.

    Relief: Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast recentering drone, you must concentrate on the spell as normal, faint silver mist encircles the targets as you do.

    Aspect: Three times per day as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast lesser angelic aspect, though you take on superficial physical aspects of a silver dragon rather than an angel.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    As she listens, Shyndra inspects the situation of the woman with rubble on her leg. First, she tries to see if she can wake the woman, to make sure she is alive. Next she attempts to move the rubble, taking care to make sure it does not cause anymore damage. She also calls over her cousin to assist her.

    Spoiler: Helping the Injured
    Show
    Perception check to make sure there is no imminent threat to removing said rubble (1d20+7)[10]
    *Not that it will come into play just yet, but Shyndra has Darkvision 120 ft rather than the normal 60 ft and she also has Low-light vision in situations in which she has enough light to determine color.

    Wisdom check to determine severity of wounds. I am not trained in Heal, so not sure what this effort is worth, but (1d20+3)[7]

    Strength check to move the rubble if necessary (taking 20 during the speech), so 22
    If this wakes the woman, Shyndra will try to calm her a bit, not that she is effective at this, though (1d20-2)[3]

    After the rubble is moved, Shyndra attempts to cast Cure Light Wounds (1d8+1)[9]
    If necessary touch attack roll (1d20+5)[9]

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    ”In not blessed with the blood of Belzken dear cousin, I cannot see in this inky soup. Are there others here with us? Make some light.” The last bit was spoken to no one in particular, just the dark. He tries to make his way towards Shyn’s voice.


    Likely stumbling a bit till light fills the area. He thinks better to wait for the light before drawing his sword, but will arm himself as soon as he can. This is also when he chooses to answer the man who asked for names and abilities. ”I am Jonas Hunter, a squire of the Hand. I have crossed blades with Fire and Darkness before.”

    Spoiler: Stumbling through the dark.
    Show

    Perception - (1d20+6)[16]
    He stumbles and fumbles in the dark for a moment towards his cousin.


    Spoiler: With a little light.
    Show

    Strength - (1d20+3)[10]
    He helps Shy move the rock then takes a look at the other 7 survivors.
    Knowledge Local - (1d20+7)[13]
    He ticks off mentally anyone he recognizes and will take a moment later to speak with Shyndra about those he knows.

    Jonas lacks any real medical skill, but will attempt to aid anyone that requires it.
    Heal - (1d20)[20]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    In4Dimensions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Frozen Hell
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Arkine was about to take one of her sister’s snacks when the attack began. When she saw the demon lord, though, she froze. She couldn’t move, couldn’t think, couldn’t speak. Just the sight of the Storm King paralyzed her. She stood there, unmoving, as the cracks opened up beneath her and she fell into the darkness.

    When Arkine recovered from the fall, she noticed that she was seeing her surroundings in only shades of grey. Forming a halo of light around her head, she looked around, seeing Gisela, unharmed, along with several other people, none of whom she recognized. She immediately rushed to her sister’s side, asking “Gisa! Were you hurt? Are you okay?” in a nearly-frantic tone of voice, ignoring the elf for the moment.

    Spoiler: Let there be light
    Show
    Cast Light on myself, and have it take the shape of a halo.
    Chaotic Good, probably

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Deadguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    A second light flares in response to Arkine's. Gisela stood with a grunt and dusted herself off as she inspected the cavern. Her eyes narrowed at the husk of the spider and the sounds coming from it.

    "Fine, I'm fine. What in the Nine Hells just happened? How did the Storm King get passed the stone to attack?"

    She stepped toward her sister and the rest of the survivors. Her attention alternated between the scales they had discovered and the spider's corpse. Finally, she turned to the now blind elf. She checked his wounds and ripped a strip of her dress to wrap the burns.

    "I'm Gisa. My sister, Arkine, and I are here with you. She has skill with blade, I with the arcane."

    As she was bandaging him the best she could, she motioned for Arkie to keep an eye on that spider.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Cast Light on self
    Heal skill on Aravashnial (1d20+4)[9]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Glancing over at Jonas as she tries to aid the woman. "While I respect my father, despite how many of his ilk act at times, my eyes are from my mother, not those accursed Belzken. She had the blood of Apsu in her veins. I would think my aunt, your mother, would know that."

    Seeing the shed scales on the ground, she collects one and offers another to Jonas.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-11-03 at 10:51 AM.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Shyndra has no issues moving the rubble, in fact you're almost surprised the woman hadn't moved yet herself, you think there's something wrong with her leg, but don't really know what.
    She actually seems to be awake and relatively calm, though she's keeping her mouth clamped shut. Your healing magic seems to help a bit, sealing up most of the cuts, though not completely. As she attempts to stand the reason for her silence and stillness is revealed, with an agonized cry her leg buckles under her, judging by the unnatural angle it can't be anything but a broken bone, it's unlikely she'll be moving far until she gets some help with that.
    Jonas easily fixes up a splint with some wooden splinters and bits of rope from the rubble (you vaguely recognise the rope as from the barriers designed to keep the crowd back from the stage).
    Spoiler: Jonas heal info
    Show
    It was only a DC 15 so for beating it by 5 I'm giving you a little info too, she can walk with a crutch or some help, and could probably manage on her own if she was magically healed to peak condition. It will take a regenerate to fully repair the damage

    With the pain lessened enough that she doesn't need to worry about screaming she introduces herself as Anevia Tirabade.
    Spoiler: Jonas knowledge
    Show
    Kenabres is a large city, so you don't know much about them. You do however recognise Anevia, you've seen her volunteering in the temple of Iomedae, reading to the sick and generally helping out.


    Gisela's attempts to help Aravashniel are less successful, there's really not much that can be done about his eyes, there's not much left. The bandages at least cover them up, which is probably a good thing given the level of hygiene down here.

    Upon seeing the others being tended to the final of your three 'companions' speaks up "Is noone going to help me? First I fall down this blasted hole and then the fools down here with me just ignore me, lovely. Don't you recognise me, I'm Horgus Gwerm. Leave her alone she's probably just going to make groundless accusations against you anyway."

    Despite his self important tone when mentioning his name, none of you recognise it.

    That spider is still making some very unpleasant noises.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Deadguy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Gisela grimaced slightly at her feeble attempt to treat the mage's wounds. It would have to do for the moment. Straightening up and helping the now-blind elf to his feet, she turned toward Horgus to address him directly.

    "It is not that we were ignoring you. It was simply that these people have severe injuries that were plainly visible. Are you also injured? I'll do my best to help, but without the proper medical supplies, it will be limited at best."

    She placed Aravashnial hand on her shoulder and began walking toward Horgus to keep him from stumbling about in the dark.

    "Those capable with a blade and are not injured, please check on that spider... we need not have any more nasty surprises while we search for a way out of here."

    She shined her light over Horgus from toe to shoulder, inspecting him for any injuries.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Knowledge (local) on Horgus (1d20+9)[18]
    Diplomacy on Horgus (1d20+12)[28]
    Knowledge (dungeoneering) - untrained on spider (1d20+5)[17]
    Perception on Horgus injuries (1d20+5)[15]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Still in shock over finding herself the witness to so much death, Kanthus shivers on the ground for long seconds. Her cursed ears had taken in the last, cut-off exclamations of hundreds; her strange eyes had seen the light of life fade from so many around her, including from the great silver dragon as they'd fallen. Hopelessness threatens to drown her, but with a shake of her head, she denies its hold on her and begins pushing herself to her feet, picking up the drawn knife that had fallen from her hand when she landed in a heap.

    Someone had spoken a moment ago, but it was all so much noise as she shakes her head again, trying to clear it. The first thing her eyes fell on was the corpse of some giant ... spider-thing, and though it seemed dead, she almost thought she could see smaller motes of life ... flickering, somehow, over the loathsome chitin. She drew another blade from her coat's many pockets, her eyes almost hypnotized by the strange interplay she could see, but using them to focus herself on the now.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kanthus stands up and draws two daggers. She has Deathwatch at-will, so she basically always has it on, hence her seeing some strange things. She stares at the spider-thing in an attempt to figure out what it is and what's going on, and readies an action to throw a dagger at the first sign of something leaping out of that corpse.

    Perception (to see whether she can spot what's wriggling around): (1d20+7)[19]
    untrained Knowledge: Nature (to try and figure out what this spider is): (1d20+2)[21]

    readied action if triggered: Thrown Dagger: attack (1d20+4)[15], damage + sneak attack (if applicable) (1d4+1)[5] + (1d6)[5]

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    “Of course dear cousin, I forgot the blood of dragons flows in us all. Forgive my mistake.” He has truly forgotten. He shook his head and half smiled while apologizing. He was sincere. It was his way.

    After splinting Anevia’s leg he would lean over to talk quietly with the wounded woman.”I do not currently posses the power needed to fully heal your leg. Maybe , after we sort all this out, I can convince one of the others to spare a bit more divine power to help you further. The splint and my javelin here will allow you to move about for now.” He would hand Anevia his throwing spear and headed to inspect the spider.

    He took the scale, and paused as the emotions coursed through him. “She...she saved us...she knew it could only be a few...she chose all of us...”

    Taking courage from Terendelev’s final thoughts, he walks toward the spider. He gives it a once over and pokes it with his sword. It certainly didn’t seem to be acting the way he expected a regular giant monstrous spider would.

    Spoiler: Anevia Diplomacy
    Show

    Diplomacy - (1d20+6)[7] if it’s necessary to convince her that he was genuine about seeking out more healing.


    Spoiler: Spider Perception
    Show

    Perception - (1d20+6)[12]
    To see if he can Suss our just what’s going on with this eight legged monster

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    In4Dimensions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Frozen Hell
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Arkine walked over towards the spider, her brow furrowing as she tried to determine what was making the odd sound. Seeing one of the others draw his sword and poke the thing, she decided a bit more preparation might be prudent, if a battle was to occur. Taking a second to offer a quiet prayer to Desna, Arkine felt her mind focus and her body strengthen as she drew her weapon and approached the dead carcass.

    As this was happening, Arkine heard her sister’s voice behind her, talking to the blinded elf. After she had finished speaking, Arkine turned her head, saying to the elf, “Once we have confirmed that whatever noises are coming from the spider do not pose a threat to us, I can help heal your wounds with magic.”


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception check on the spider: (1d20+3)[7]
    Use Martial Flexibility (2/3 uses now left) to gain Slashing Grace as a feat.
    Cast Divine Favor, gaining a +1 luck bonus to attack and damage rolls.
    Chaotic Good, probably

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Having observed the spectacle above ground largely frozen in fear, Thruffgar gradually regains his wits underground. The dark was no problem for a dwarf, but it still wasn't an entirely familiar setting since he'd spent most of his life above ground tending to a tavern.

    As he observes those around him, he takes a long swig from his flask and then utters a simple "hell".

    At the prompting for a name, he replies, "Thruffgar Dorrimsmar at ye service. Nothin' of import or accolade, jes' a devotee o' Cayden Cailean."

    Glancing warily at the spider's oddly behaving body, he moves over to help the broken-legged woman. He could probably carry her out if he had to. "Best na t' put much weight on tha' leg, lass."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Spoiler: Gisela check results
    Show
    He's a local nobleman and investor in a number of businesses, he's got a reputation from being extremely critical and getting anything out of him without solid, factual evidence that your idea is likely to work is well known to be futile.
    It's a monstrous spider, a relatively ordinary, if dead, one.
    His injuries consist of a few minor scrapes and bruises, largely of a superficial nature.

    Your persuasive manner serves you well and he soon responds "I suppose that's fair enough, you could have at least checked on me though. I'm a good few years out of practice with my rapier and not keen on dieing, but I'll try to lend a hand if we have to fight. Get me back to my manor and I'll see you all 200 platinum pieces richer, by the looks of it you could use it."

    Spoiler: Kanthus
    Show
    It's a dead monstrous spider, your deathwatch confirms its fate. Whatever else is there is inside the spider, so there's really no way to tell what it is.


    Spoiler: Jonas
    Show
    Luckily for you she already believed you.
    There's something inside the spider, unless one of you has the ability to see through solid objects that's as much as you can really tell just by looking.


    As soon Jonas gets within 10 feet of the spider two enormous maggots with greasy, pale flesh erupt forth.

    Spoiler: Initiatives
    Show
    Maggot1 (1d20+1)[7]
    Maggot2 (1d20+1)[21]
    Thruffgar (1d20+2)[19]
    Kanthus (1d20+4)[22]
    Jonas (1d20+2)[13]
    Shyndra (1d20+4)[9]
    Arkine (1d20+4)[6]
    Gisela (1d20+4)[11]
    Aravashnial (1d20-2)[8]
    Anevia (1d20+7)[15]
    Horgus (1d20-1)[15]


    Looks like Kanthus is up first.

    For this fight the cave is actually fairly small. The spider is 30ft to the east of your starting position, there's about another 30ft of this cave beyond that. The cave is about 100 feet from north to south, with both you and the spider almost dead center on that axis.
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2019-11-04 at 04:27 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    After tending to the woman, Shyndra draws her bow, ready to fire as she studies the large spider's corpse.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Studied Target against the Spider.

    Initiative (if relevant) (1d20+4)[5]

    Perception roll (1d20+8)[11] at the spider

    Perception roll (1d20+7)[8] vs where the area is open beyond any rubble (Darkvision 120 ft)

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2008

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Kanthus has never seen vermin this size before, and her brain seems to seize up at the sheer revulsion of seeing them writ large, but muscle memory keeps her from freezing entirely, sending one of her knives flying forward at the grub as it disgustingly wriggles its way out of the corpse. "Look out!" she cries to no-one as almost a reflex, having barely even registered the others' presence before this happened.

    Still, if there was one thing she'd learned, when in doubt she'd act first and think later. Taking a moment to steady her aim, Kanthus lets fly with another dagger, already scrabbling in her cloak for her spares.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure if you saw, Thunder999, but Kanthus had a readied action to throw her dagger at the first thing to jump out. She rolled a 15 to hit, and 5+5 sneak attack for damage.

    Kanthus will take her move action to make the grub she's already attacked her Studied Target (assuming it is still alive), five foot step a bit closer, and throw her other dagger at it.

    Thrown Dagger: attack (1d20+5)[13], damage (1d4+2)[5] + sneak attack (1d6)[2]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    No readied actions out of initiative.

    Kanthus' thrown dagger strikes one of the maggots right in the eye, and it falls still.

    The surviving maggot decides that Jonas would make a better meal than the rotten spider, taking a bite out of his leg.

    Spoiler: OOC/ROLLS
    Show
    (1d20+2)[21] for (1d6+3)[4]
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2019-11-05 at 08:11 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Seeing the maggots attacking, Thruffgar quickly draws his rapier and light shield and charges the maggot in turn, stabbing at it.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Free: Quick Draw Rapier & Shield
    Full: Charge

    Attack roll: (1d20+7)[11] (+5 base, +2 charge)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]

    If attack roll is 25-27, critical:
    Confirmation: (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gestalt Wrath of the Righteous IC

    Shyndra eyes the creatures. Bow at the ready, she fires an arrow at the one Thruffgar has engaged.

    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Longbow attack *Using the Deadly Aim option* (1d20+5)[21]
    Crit? (25) (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage (1d8+2)[8]
    If Crit add (2d8+4)[19]

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

    He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

    Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

    Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •