1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So, about the Sphinx Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Herring, the Red.
    I'm totally stealing that.
    Peelee, the Red-Handed.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Even when the fix is merely a third level spell?
    Hmm, if they are all headed North, can't Lien or O'Chul just lay on hands and cure disease, or did 3.5 drop that?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Hmm, if they are all headed North, can't Lien or O'Chul just lay on hands and cure disease, or did 3.5 drop that?
    I thought Laying on hands curing disease was a Pathfinder thing...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

3.5 Paladins get Remove Disease 1/Week at level 6 (2/week at 9, 3/week at 12). Because having Paladins actually be able to protect a group of any size from disease would be overpowered or something.

O'Chul doesn't have enough Paladin levels to have a mount, so he's out. Lien may well have it more than once a week as she's probably got quite a few Paladin levels.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

I looked it up, I'm surprised they don't get cure disease as a spell in 3.5 SRD.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BasiliskSoldier View Post
    I agree that Fyron's son is a never mentioned again, but I'd be genuinely shocked if Redcloak's Niece was a dropped plot thread. The utter insanity of some of the speculation about her has become a forum in-joke, but that doesn't mean she isn't going to be relevant in the future. Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?
    Well, I do not rule out that Redcloak's niece may end up playing a role in the main comic. Problem is, she was a character of a prequel book, and The Giant already stated that no information from a prequel book would be mandatory to follow up the main comic. Therefore, for her to play a significant role in the last book, she needs to have been mentioned before in the main strip. Which, after 6 books, hasn't happened.

I suppose we could get an info dump at the beggining of Book 7, but The Giant has planned this stuff long enough to not having to rush it at the last moment. He could, for example, have got her mentioned by Redcloak during his interactions with Jyrix back in Gobbotopia. Like MitD casually mentioned Right-Eye to O-Chul.

Besides, I think she already fulfilled a role, in the prequel
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness. Though, really, you should have already purchased it, at least the PDF. It's totally worth it
    Show
    Right-Eye being able to smuggle her out, saving her life, serves as a small cushion for Right-Eye's tragic outcome, in the sense that at least he was able to save one of his children.

But, no, I do not rule out that she can pop up in the main strip, though I think it's highly unlikely, for the reasons I stated.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-11-05 at 07:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Besides, I think she already fulfilled a role, in the prequel
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness spoilers. Though, really, you should have already purchased it, at least the PDF. It's totally worth it
    Show
    Right-Eye being able to smuggle her out, saving her life, serves as a small cushion for Right-Eye's tragic story, in the sense that at least he was able to save one of his children.

But, no, I do not rule out that she can pop up in the main strip, though I think it to be highly unlikely.
    Not only that, but
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    it hammers home just how desperate their situation had become that Right-Eye feels the safest place for her is with humans. Life under Xykon had become THAT bad!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    3.5 Paladins get Remove Disease 1/Week at level 6 (2/week at 9, 3/week at 12). Because having Paladins actually be able to protect a group of any size from disease would be overpowered or something.
    I am glad we had this exploration into 3.5 Paladin cure disease stuff, since 5e (which I play) gives the class a cure disease option through lay-on-hands. One can heal hit points or cure a disease ... but the 3.5 method is a bit more controlled and is a lot more like the AD&D 1e Paladin:
    Quote Originally Posted by AD&D1e PHB p 22
    The ability to cure disease of any sort: this can be done once per week for each five levels of experience the paladin has attained, i.e. at levels 1 through 5 one disease per week, at levels 6 through 10 two diseases, at levels 11 through 15 three diseases, etc.
    So it looks like Lien is the likely source of any cure disease efforts up at the Pole.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-11-06 at 08:30 AM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So it looks like Lien is the likely source of any cure disease efforts up at the Pole.
    You mean besides Durkon and his tons of slots that can be used for a Remove Disease spell...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    You mean besides Durkon and his tons of slots that can be used for a Remove Disease spell...
    Indeed, I was focusing the Paladin angle, and hadn't realized until this side discussion that O Chul likely isn't able to.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-11-06 at 09:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Well, I do not rule out that Redcloak's niece may end up playing a role in the main comic. Problem is, she was a character of a prequel book, and The Giant already stated that no information from a prequel book would be mandatory to follow up the main comic. Therefore, for her to play a significant role in the last book, she needs to have been mentioned before in the main strip. Which, after 6 books, hasn't happened.
    Crystal killing Grubwiggler happened in a bonus story and was covered in a single panel, despite main comic-only readers not even being aware that Grubwiggler having been dead.
    The Brewmaster's Tale recaps information from prequel books that is about to become plot relevant.
    So she could probably pop up if that's what the story required it.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Indeed, I was focusing the Paladin angle, and hadn't realized until this side discussion that O Chul likely isn't able to.
    For the record, my speculation is: Not having seen O-Chul's mount yet, is not the same as him not having the levels to summon one. I don't recall anywhere in the text where it's shown he's actually not high enough level to summon a Paladin mount yet. Although it's very possible I missed that somewhere, but as far as I know it's just our joint speculation. (I'm holding out hope that he'll summon a celestial rhinoceros in Book VII.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

13. - Top - End - #73

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    For the record, my speculation is: Not having seen O-Chul's mount yet, is not the same as him not having the levels to summon one. I don't recall anywhere in the text where it's shown he's actually not high enough level to summon a Paladin mount yet. Although it's very possible I missed that somewhere, but as far as I know it's just our joint speculation. (I'm holding out hope that he'll summon a celestial rhinoceros in Book VII.)
    "If I had [a paladin mount] we would already be riding it."
    It's not quite the same as saying he does not have one, but they have made a very long journey on Razor and on foot. So if O-Chul had a paladin mount it would need to be something that is of no use on water or land - and it shouldn't fly either. That limits the options quite a bit.
    On the other hand, he might be able to level up a bit and get a paladin mount during book VII...

14. - Top - End - #74

AssassinGuy

Memory goes the older you get. Thanks for the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

15. - Top - End - #75

Even when the fix is merely a third level spell?
    Yes, I'm measuring from the significance of the problem, not the significance of the solution. Rich explained Belkar surviving falling off the mountain, even though that's not too difficult in universe.

There's also all sorts of ways that the disease could manifest at an inopportune time.

Party is split for ten minutes? Disease manifests, crucial information cannot be relayed.
    Durkon has it prepared less than five times, someone is stuck like that for a day.
    The entire ship manifests on the same day. Durkon then prepares remove disease twenty times the next day, and there's a random encounter.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Yes, I'm measuring from the significance of the problem, not the significance of the solution. Rich explained Belkar surviving falling off the mountain, even though that's not too difficult in universe.
    Falling killed Roy. He was injured, but also shown to be tougher than Belkar, so it's reasonable to expect he may have been killed by the fall. Also, there was significant build-up to that; Durkon tossed Belkar off the ship multiple times, which was why Belkar got that ring, which then saved him on the mountain. Sphinx pox this far has only a single last-panel joke dedicated to it, so I would contest that the mountain and the disease are close to the same significance.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #77

Flumph

The Feather Fall item also became relevant during the frost giant ambush. It could be useful in the future too. It needed to be introduced.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I read the ‘Sphinx Pox’ scene as the Giant ‘showing obvious tactics not working’ [will include link when not on phone]. Thor tried to crash the Mechane using his powers only to be stopped by Durkon* but the Order had no such défense at the time so why wasn’t Hel using her divine powers to stop them? Well, she’s trying.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I read the ‘Sphinx Pox’ scene as the Giant ‘showing obvious tactics not working’ [will include link when not on phone].
    This one?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Apparently Haley doesn't have particularly good ranks in Knowledge(Arcana) to have identified a flesh golem but still try to use a wand that SR applies to against it.
    Psssst! Sometimes, characters take suboptimal actions in the comic for the express purpose of showing less D&D-familiar readers that a certain tactic is useless, to avoid constant comments like, "Haley is so dumb, why doesn't she use the wands she just bought on it?"
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Probably. I remembered something else but I might just have a bad memory.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Falling killed Roy. He was injured, but also shown to be tougher than Belkar, so it's reasonable to expect he may have been killed by the fall. Also, there was significant build-up to that; Durkon tossed Belkar off the ship multiple times, which was why Belkar got that ring, which then saved him on the mountain. Sphinx pox this far has only a single last-panel joke dedicated to it, so I would contest that the mountain and the disease are close to the same significance.
    I thought falling killed Roy the same way sneezing would have killed crystal after her fight with belkar. I mean yeah, the fall was the nail in his (literal) coffin, but only after a finger of death and a meteor swarm to the face.
    Last edited by unluckiest13; 2019-11-11 at 12:04 PM.
    Originally Posted by Oxenstierna
    "I thought it would probably be funniest if, after the preparation to influence the council through extensive exploitation of the laws, the vampires overlooked something simple that was allowed, and could stop them. Like a hammer in the face. Explicitly cited as permissible under Dwarf Law by ruling of King Hammerface. Also known as Hammerface the Terrible Debater."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unluckiest13 View Post
    I thought falling killed Roy the same way sneezing would have killed crystal after her fight with belkar. I mean yeah, the fall was the nail in his (literal) coffin, but only after a finger of death and a meteor swarm to the face.
    Well, yeah, but, as Peelee said, he also had way more HP then Belkar. It may well be, at this high a level, mathematically impossible for a full-HP Roy to die from falling damage. The same cannot be said for Belkar.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-11-11 at 06:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Well, yeah, but, as Peelee said, he also had way more HP then Belkar. It may well be, at this high a level, mathematically impossible for a full-HP Roy to die from falling damage. The same cannot be said for Belkar.
    you know...I had a point when I posted this, but for the life of me, I cant remember what it was...probably something about if a joke disease is more significant than a Flumphless fall...so im just gonna say I misunderstood Peelee.
    Originally Posted by Oxenstierna
    "I thought it would probably be funniest if, after the preparation to influence the council through extensive exploitation of the laws, the vampires overlooked something simple that was allowed, and could stop them. Like a hammer in the face. Explicitly cited as permissible under Dwarf Law by ruling of King Hammerface. Also known as Hammerface the Terrible Debater."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

There. It's done. Resolved. By a cleric with the spell, as predicted
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

25. - Top - End - #85

HalflingRogueGuy

Reading this thread makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Why did they cut to Roy? Is Rich trying to imply that he isn't cured?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Because cutting to Roy to show what he's up to, like we saw with the rest of the Order, made for a better beat panel than showing Durkon and Mateo looking at each other in silence, is my guess.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Because cutting to Roy to show what he's up to, like we saw with the rest of the Order, made for a better beat panel than showing Durkon and Mateo looking at each other in silence, is my guess.
    Actually, Roy isn't cured! Not until tomorrow, when Durkon refreshes his spell list and does the second round of curing.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Damn it, I had just updated my sig.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It's supposed to be like a "record scratch" moment. The montage scene is proceeding as usual but then it goes back to reflect Matteo's "wait a minute, WHAT?" reaction.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)