The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How much does it really cost to be a beach bum?

How do you get from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi river?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Remember that, however much it costs when you first retire, it will cost more over time as you get older and your healthcare costs rise.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    How do you get from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi river?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Waterway there's a set of locks connecting the great lakes to the Illinois River, which connects through to the Mississippi.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Remember that, however much it costs when you first retire, it will cost more over time as you get older and your healthcare costs rise.
    I misread the pamphletóitís not US residency required, its US citizenship. I could always buy a boat, put it in a slip in Aruba, and teach in Aruba to supplement my pension.
    DnD Alignment: Neutral Evil
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Spoiler: Dare you stare into Abaddon?
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    This man made floating island from plastic water bottles, and mango trees.

https://www.google.com/search?source...=1572536533157
    Not a great long term solution, as tides and weather tends to wreck such things. I believe that example fell apart after a few years, despite being in a particularly mild climate. US East coast is a bit rougher.

It's fairly doable to stretch your dollar by moving to a lower cost of living area/lifestyle, but I would suggest trying it out for a time before committing to it. Take a vacation and see if it's for you before pinning your future on it.

A goodly portion of old age/retirement money is due to health care expenses. Living modestly is all well and good, but as you age, you are more likely to encounter illness or injury. Make sure whatever you have planned accounts for that. And definitely crunch the numbers carefully with your retirement. Maybe talk to an expert. The devil's in the details, sometimes.

There is a liveaboard lifestyle if you want to live aboard a boat, though. There's a decent reddit community for it, and it might be interesting to check out. I will note that boats are expensive. Mine's not even liveaboard sized, but it invariably needs work.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Not a great long term solution, as tides and weather tends to wreck such things. I believe that example fell apart after a few years, despite being in a particularly mild climate. US East coast is a bit rougher.

It's fairly doable to stretch your dollar by moving to a lower cost of living area/lifestyle, but I would suggest trying it out for a time before committing to it. Take a vacation and see if it's for you before pinning your future on it.

A goodly portion of old age/retirement money is due to health care expenses. Living modestly is all well and good, but as you age, you are more likely to encounter illness or injury. Make sure whatever you have planned accounts for that. And definitely crunch the numbers carefully with your retirement. Maybe talk to an expert. The devil's in the details, sometimes.

There is a liveaboard lifestyle if you want to live aboard a boat, though. There's a decent reddit community for it, and it might be interesting to check out. I will note that boats are expensive. Mine's not even liveaboard sized, but it invariably needs work.
    The best things in life ain't free.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget, when making such long term plans, that sea levels are forecast to rise another foot or so by 2050, on top of whatever local changes in coastal erosion, silt deposition etc may be happening anyway.

And I've known early retirees who've come to regret skipping out on the typical wealth generation age of a person's 50s. Also, pension schemes have been known to change and/or to go bust before.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2019-11-15 at 03:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Don't forget, when making such long term plans, that sea levels are forecast to rise another foot or so by 2050, on top of whatever local changes in coastal erosion, silt deposition etc may be happening anyway.

And I've known early retirees who've come to regret skipping out on the typical wealth generation age of a person's 50s. Also, pension schemes have been known to change and/or to go bust before.
    Hopefully this pension will be protected as its public sector, but nothing would surprise me.
    M&M 3e Character Thread
    Show