The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [OOC] Masks: The Unseen Path

Welcome to the Path, heroes.

The crucible of fate is before you, and the world is watching. Will you rise to the occasion and become heroes of legend, or be devoured by your own wretched hungers?

I can't wait to find out.

Spoiler: The Heroes
    Show
    DreadPirateH playing Errant White, the Legacy
    Razade playing Fox, the Delinquent
    Kirjath playing Liminal, the Janus
    CaptainJak JigaWatt, the Star

IC Thread
    Last edited by Malexia; 2019-11-07 at 11:47 PM.
    Some kind of word-witch. She/her. Find more of my stuff at my new website!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Masks: The Unseen Path

Quote Originally Posted by The Fox
    Name: Kye Pen Draig
    Alias: Fox
    Playbook: The Delinquent
    Ability: Sorcery

Labels

Freak: 0
    Danger: +2
    Savior: -1
    Superior: +2
    Mundane: 0

Potential: O O O O O

Conditions

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

They have Influence over me: White Errant, Liminal, Jigawatt
    I have Influence over them: White Errant, Liminal,

Spoiler: Fox
    Show
    Name: Kye Pen Draig
    Alias: Fox
    Playbook: The Delinquent
    Ability: Sorcery

Labels

Freak: 0
    Danger: +1
    Savior: -1
    Mundane: +1

Conditions

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Appearance

Civilian

Hero Costume...more or less.

Moves

Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2.
    - You get an opportunity.
    - You expose a weakness or flaw.
    - You confuse them for some time.
    - You avoid further entanglement.
    On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

I don't give a damn what you think!: Whenever you reject others' influence, add +2 to your roll.

Criminal mind: When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
    - what here is useful or valuable to me?
    - how could I best infuriate or provoke _______?
    - what’s the best way in/way past?

Relationships

You keep trying to impress Liminal with your antics.

You and Jigawattt pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence

Backstory

How did you get your powers? “So...this is all off the record right? I could get in a lot of trouble if I just started blabbing this to everyone who is in hearing range. It is? Cool. So...I’m a Son of Albion. I see that look. I know right? Me? It’s complicated, but it explains some of the stuff. Magic is in our blood and its in mine, even if I’m not a pure breed. My father...my father was a Black Knight. You all don’t know about them….they’re...they’re like spies and sleeper agents. Sons and Daughters of Albion who are just waiting to be called into action. Shadow warfare. All that. So right...my mother and father started training me to fight and build when I was a little kid and then...they got killed. The Black Knights were purged, but I remembered my training. Found the few that remained and I’ve been working towards bettering my magical powers and honing my skills. So I guess I was just born with them. I was born a Black Knight and I’ll die a Black Knight.”

What do you do for fun? “Oh whew...that’s a lot more light hearted. I love music, I play guitar and a few...well...I love the music of Albion. Most people just think it makes me a bit of a poser. I can’t tell them how my mother sang me The Fox and the Sun every night before I went to bed or how my father, when he was fletching arrows, would regale us with The Crow and the Eagle. I still listen to both once a day. I’ve always had a knack for tinkering, I like to do pottery and I cook for myself most nights. It used to be out of necessity but I’ve found I really love it. My mother was...a blend. She’d say Romani, so I do a lot of her old recipes. I make the best pierogi you’ve ever tasted.

I also love to dance. It was another thing my mother and father would do. Most nights they’d put on a record, invite the other Knights in their cell over and drink and dance until morning. Some nights they’d let me join. I’ve incorporated a lot of their movements into my own combat styles. Battle is its own dance. Ok so that’s maybe a little dark. I guess that’s it...that’s enough right? I dance, I work with my hands. To make music, to make food, to make art. A man’s hands are his best tools.”

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do? “So there’s Sara Hastings, a member of AEGIS. She works at Camp Joy...and I’d love to say we met because we’re just destined to know one another but I’ve spent some time at the Camp myself. I am desigate OBS: Fox in their files. She’s one of their folks that helps keep good kids from going bad and trying to turn the bad kids good. Kind heart, tough fists kinda lady. She helps manage the very sizable trust my parents left me, she helped me get my apartment and she and I have court mandated weekly meetings to this day. She’s got a key to my apartment too, she’s serious about her job. She’s like a big sister.

Why do you try to be a hero? "Can I tell you the story of the Fox and the Sun? I brought it up and now I just can’t get it out of my head. Man...so one day Fox was walking through the snow, cold and hungry. Crow saw Fox and laughed as it plunged into the frigid snow hunting mice. “If only you could melt the snow, Fox, you would not need to hit your head. How crafty you are, knocking your brains from your head.

The Fox replied “Where would find fire in this winter? I have no wings to fly close to the Sun so I might warm myself. How I envy you, oh Crow. If only I had your wings.”

Crow laughed again, strutting on a tree branch. “Give me your next catch, little Fox and I will give you some of my feathers. Perhaps you can build your own wings!
    Crow thought herself very clever, how could Fox build wings from her feathers? But Fox agreed, for a Fox is always clever. So the Fox hunted, and caught its prize. It called to Crow.

“Here now, Crow. I have your mouse, bring me feathers so I might fly and warm myself by the Sun.”

And so Crow did, watching Fox build his wings. But a Fox cannot fly, no. The wings fell apart and before Fox could even lift from the ground, Crow and her children sat in the high branches and laughed.A Fox touching the Sun! A Fool's Errand! Hungry and cold you will remain, not clever as we Crow.”

But a Fox is always clever, so he called out. “Show me then, how clever you are Crow. Surely you could snatch the Sun from Father Sky and bring it here and melt all this snow. Bring it here close!”

The Crow was a vain creature, taking to the sky. Any chance to show silly Fox how wonderful it truly was to be a Crow. With its talons the bird plucked the Sun from the sky and Night fell, Father Sky resting as Lady Moon and her Children Stars awoke. With a flap of its wings, Crow landed next to Fox and presented its prize. The Sun melted the snow, and the mouse fled from its brilliant heat. But Fox are always clever and in the instant Crow landed he snapped his jaw shut over its neck. Fox knew how to fetch a meal, and how to gain something more in the process. How does that answer your question? Isn’t it obvious? Being a hero is about bringing the vain and proud to justice. You just have to make sure you’re getting something out of the deal in the end.

Why do you care about the team? “Man. So glooomy! I’ve never had a place to belong ok? I’ve been on the run almost my whole life. Halcyon City isn’t my home. I can’t turn to Albion, I can’t turn to my mother’s people. No one wants me. Except the team. That good enough for ya? Cool, I think we’re done.”

When the Team First Came Together

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Moment of Truth

This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Name Nickname Ringtone
    Teagan Mccrae Tea Devil's Dance Floor
    Liminal Stretch What you know
    Errant White Boy Scout Jealous Sea
    Blithe Stranger The Instar Emergence
    Jigawatt Two Time Two Time
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-01-03 at 12:56 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Thank you very much for the invite! I look forward to a great game with all of you. I'll post my character sheet here to refer back to in the future (and will edit for potential/advancements and whatnot).

Name: Teagan "Liminal" Macrae
    Playbook: Janus
    Labels:
    Danger: -1
    Freak: +2
    Savior: +1
    Mundane: -1

Conditions:

Afraid: X
    Angry: X
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

I have Influence on: Errant White, Fox

They have Influence on me: Fox, JigaWatt

Potential:
    O O O O O
    Spoiler: Liminal - The Janus
    Show
    Hero Name: Liminal

Look: Woman | White | Boring Clothing | Iconic Costume | Small Mask

Labels:

Danger: +0
    Freak: -1
    Savior: +0
    Superior: +1
    Mundane: +3

Abilities:

Impossible Mobility, Substance Mimicry

Teagan's a Paranatural of unusual talents. Any part of her body can be stretched to incredible lengths as if she were entirely elastic. She can reshape fingers and limbs to look like anything, and her skin can often morph to resemble nearby materials. She's capable of reshaping her entire appearance, though maintaining an extreme form takes quite a lot of concentration. She's naturally rubbery and tough.

Secret Identity
    Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.
    -Job (Dishwasher/Waitress)
    -Home (Surrogate Parent)
    -Home (Paying bills)

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Teagan's mundane life isn't an easy one. She carries on a part-time job at an Irish Pub called Kelly's to cover the bills her often-absent parents do not so that the family can maintain the cramped apartment they live in. While not old enough to serve alcohol at such an establishment, no one really seems to pay that any mind. The owner, Tobias Kelly, is an understanding man, but he doesn't take absences lightly. When not at work, Teagan often has to take care of her little brother, a toddler named Adam. He's a "right little monster" sometimes, but if she didn't watch him then no one would. Balancing this with an active superhero life is not what anyone would consider reasonable or healthy, but Teagan is nothing if not stubborn. Besides, if she could get in the good graces of the Halcyon League, there's sponsorships to consider.

Advancement:
    Thick and thin skinned: Whenever you have Angry marked, take +1 ongoing to unleash your powers.

Moves:

The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask: Freak
    Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Mild-mannered: When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade. On a 7-9, choose one:
    - you’re still under observation
    - you leave something incriminating behind
    - you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it
    On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head.

Game face: When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.

Moment of Truth:
    The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the damn day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Team Moves
    When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

When our team first came together...
    We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships:
    Fox knew you from your civilian life first.
    You refused to tell Errant White your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:
    You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show

• When did you first put on the mask? Why?
    "Why? Maybe because I don't like people lookin' at my cheekbones!" Teagan remarked snidely. She sighed, one hand stretched up to press the small mask covering her eyes back into place. "When I first got my powers, I had a penchant for playing, ah, 'pranks' on people. Just small ones, I swear! Stuff like moving chairs, or putting bubble wrap somewhere it shouldn't be. Things I could do without getting noticed, you know? I was having the time of my life until that idiot Monotone escaped from prison and hid out in my apartment complex." Teagan shook her head angrily, "He just broke into my home while I was at work. I saw it live on the news as it was happening, he kidnapped my brother! It wasn't even a choice at that point, I changed my shape a little and ran home. Monomoron was so focused on the news helicopter and the police that I just clocked him from behind. After that, well, I had a different choice to make. The news crew interviewed me, and the reporter suggested I could potentially sign up with the Halcyon league. I'm pretty sure some of them get sponsored, right? I thought, if I could do that, then maybe I could make enough money so that life would get easier. I'm still wondering if it ever gets easier."

• Why do you keep a secret identity?
    "Look, I've read comics before, who hasn't? If some of the villains my teammates seem to attract found out that I don't do this 'hero' crap full-time, what do you think they'd do to my family? My friends? That's how I got into this mess! No one can know it's just little old me running around and punching villains in the face, or my life will be over. Mr. Kelly's not too fond of cape types anyways, I doubt I'd get to keep my job. My secret identity is my life preserver."

Teagan paused, her tone grew softer as she stared at the ground. "And I'm not putting my brother in that kind of danger again. He's earned a better life than I've got, and I'm not about to mess that up by attracting more trouble. Not if I can help it."

• Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?
    Teagan had the sense to look somewhat embarrassed. "I've maybe used my powers to keep my little brother entertained sometimes. You've no idea what it's like to look after someone like that, he's a real monster! Besides, he's just a toddler, he probably won't even remember how far his sister can stretch her fingers to tickle him when he gets older. Right? The little brat can't even form proper sentences yet. Look, when he stops leaving his diapers in the kitchen, then I'll start worrying that he'll blab about me to the neighbors."

• Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?
    "I'm not actually a 'popular' hero. Maybe it's the way I sometimes respond sarcastically to hostages. Maybe it's because I used to prank people, like that one time I switched the labels on a few of Mr. Kelly's dispensers. Thankfully I was in costume, but he should've told me he had cameras hidden in the pub! Paranoid old geezer...Anyways, he's organized a neighborhood watch of sorts, so my 'persona' isn't exactly welcome there anymore. Or really anywhere near my apartment. If he ever found out I was Liminal, I'm pretty sure being fired would be the least of my worries."

• Why do you care about the team?
    "Well, they're heroes, right? All about truth, justice, and noble junk. Someone has to keep their heads on their shoulders and steer them away from picking fights with otherworldly demons and the like. They're my best chance at getting the Halcyon League to notice me, and I'm not going to let that opportunity get away!"

Teagan paused for a moment as her face slowly turned pink. "They're cool, alright? I like having friends like them around, people who don't mind my...'remarks'. Most of the time. That never leaves this room, ok!?"

Spoiler: GM Questions
    Show

1. Where does your character go to school?
    Homeschooled or otherwise not attending high school
    "I, ah, don't really go? To school? I needed the extra time to work over at Kelly's and start earning money once I was old enough for a job, so I dropped out of high school. A right track to success I'm on, I know. If it makes you feel better, I'm working through some online home-school courses. Maybe I'll get a GED someday. Hell, maybe this hero stuff will make all that learnin' unnecessary! I did rather enjoy going to school though, I kinda miss it."

2. What does your character spend most of their time doing outside of education and heroics?

"Any time I can get away from the house, I take it. I go just about anywhere. Everywhere. Halcyon City's one of the most amazing places to explore, if you've got the stamina for it. And maybe money for a bus. The kinds of people I've met when I'm just out on a walk are incredible! If I never have to spend another moment waiting for mom and dad to get home so I can got to a party, it'll be too soon."

I'll start off with some relationships first, then brainstorm for a little this evening over my character question in specific. The two relations for Teagan specifically are:

Fox knew you from your civilian life first.
    You refused to tell Errant White your secret identity when they asked.

The first one's difficult. I doubt either Errant White or Fox would fit that too well. For the second one, JigaWatt seems like the obvious choice, but I'm willing to entertain other ideas.

Once again, I look forward to seeing everyone's character grow and have some fun. Please let me know if there's any particular bit of backstory you'd like expanded upon, and I'll do my best. Specifically for @Razade and @DreadPirateH, how long have the Albians been in Halcyon? Did they grow up in the city?
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2020-01-05 at 11:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

JigaWatt

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jak View Post
    Name: Lucan ‘JigaWatt’ Herald
    Playbook: Star
    Labels:
    Freak: +3
    Danger: -2
    Savior: +2
    Mundane: -2

Conditions:
    Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on: Fox, Errant White, Liminal

They have Influence on me: Fox, Errant White

Potential:
    O O O O O

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show

Sponsoring company logo:

Spoiler: Lucan – Background
    Show
    Lucan is a YouTube channel celebrity, more in the supering game for the fame and follows than for the justice and the protection of the innocents -- he's not so much a superhero as he is a superstar. Commanding quite flexible electrical powers, he's an entertainer who routinely posts smartphone videos about his daily activities for his followers – The Amp'd -- and often live-streams super powered stunts and tricks. He's a natural showman, and takes pains to ensure that his content is fresh and entertaining; as a result, he has a fairly respectable following and a few sponsors to boot. He's not indifferent to doing good; he's just going to make sure that he looks good while doing it.

This celebrity status has, of course, affected his standing at school. For the first half of his high school career, he was a relative nonentity with a couple of good friends and a quite good scholastic record; for the latter half, he has been someone everyone knows, whether they’re a fan or not. Invited to parties with the jocks, regularly sought after to sit at various tables at lunch, routinely greeted in the halls by those who want a touch of the glamour to rub off on them, his school experience has changed a great deal. Unfortunately, that also includes his grades slipping a bit, what with all the new distractions and demands on his time.

His moms were a little hesitant at first when his powers developed and he began using them openly, but having raised a good son they were relieved when he steered away from any dangerous underage superheroics, instead doing stunts and putting on displays of power to drive fame. They're insistent he keeps his grades up, which is starting to lead to some head-butting on both sides, and of course they worry at least a little when he's doing something that could end up with him getting hurt, but on a whole they are supportive of their darling boy.

Not to say that he's managed to steer entirely clear of the heroics line, although not by choice. Thanks to an unfortunate coincidence, the particular industrial park he had chosen to stream one of his stunts in had also been targeted for a robbery by an all brawn and not-so-much brain villain who went by the uninspired name of 'the Warthog'. Strong, tough, and not exceptionally gifted, he assumed the arrival of someone overtly using powers meant a hero had come to stop him, and had struck first. Forced to defend himself, JigaWatt managed to subdue 'Pumba' using a combination of smart comments, flashy powers, and quite a bit of luck; that particular video, of course, has his highest number of hits by a fair margin.

Spoiler: THE STAR
    Show

HERO NAME: JigaWatt
    Look
    • man
    • black
    • charming smile
    • designer clothing
    • branded costume

Abilities
    Your powers are flashy and impressive. Choose one.
    ❑ Electrodynamic Control

LABELS
    Danger -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Freak -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Savior -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Superior -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3
    Mundane -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

CONDITIONS:
    □ Afraid (-2 to directly engage)
    □ Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
    □ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
    □ Insecure (-2 to defend or reject what others say)
    □ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)

Backstory
    • When did you first appear onscreen?
    JigaWatt made his splash over a year ago, baby! Coming to you live and in action, streaming on my YouTube channel WattsUp! Not only do you get to see elements from my daily life, but thanks to GoPro(tm) you get the hero's eye view as I kick ass and take names. Subscribe and don't miss a single exciting moment!

• What do you tell people about how you got your powers?
    Nothing but the truth; I'm always straight with my fans – shout out to the Amp'd! I was out and about on summer holidays, a little trip backpacking in the mountains. I was pretty high up and all exposed when a weird storm blew up outta nowhere! I tried to find shelter, but before I got myself under cover I got myself hit by lightning instead! Can't tell you what it was that was weird about that storm, but instead of killing me; BAM! Made me this bomb-ass hero that you know and love.

• Who, outside of the team, supports your burgeoning star in every way possible?
    My moms, of course; I couldn't do this without their support, or without their permission. You ever seen my moms when they mad? Brrrrr, no thanks. They be my cheering section, my rock, and my first and best fans. Love you, moms!

• Who, outside of the team, loathes what you represent?
    Haters! All too many whine and moan that I'm taking up attention that should go to 'important issues' – they just be salty that I'm taking up attention they want! Oh, boo-hoo. Like this crazy charity lady, Monica Sells, who's always up in my face pushing me to support her cause, stop being a 'deleretious influence'. Step off! I got my own causes.

Of course I care about them. They're my peeps! We hang together, we fight the good fight together – together, we make each other better than we are alone! Plus, of course, I got better opportunities to show my skills when I got fellows to help set them up, y'know?

Relationships
    Errant White might wind up being more of a star than me some day! He's got that whole attractive, strong, wholesome thing going on, real 'leading man' stuff. Plus, the whole 'knight in shining armour' aesthetic plays really well with a lot of folks.
    Liminal would be a great sidekick; I try to keep them around. I know it's a stretch, but I can see great things happening with a JigaWatt and Rubber Band Girl team-up!

We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Star Moves (Choose two)
    ❑ Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.
    ❑ Time for the show: When you put on a flamboyant display of your powers, roll + Superior.
    On a 7-9, name one NPC present.
    On a 10+, name two NPCs present.
    The named NPCs must either volunteer help or information, express admiration, or ask for your help, GM’s choice.
    On a miss, your display catches someone watching in the wrong way.
    ❑ The gossip mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:
    - What are they up to?
    - What or who do they most care about?
    - What allies do they have? Enemies?
    - Where and when can I find them?
    - How could I make them vulnerable to me?
    On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.
    ❑ Suck it, Domitian: When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Audience
    You are a celebrity in the city. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through after-action interviews and infrequent press conferences. Why does your audience love you? Mark all that apply.
    X You’re just like them
    ❑ You’re a dangerous person, a bad seed
    ❑ You’re noble warrior for justice
    ❑ You’re stunning, unique, and beautiful
    X You’re charming, well-spoken, and smart
    X You’re a firebrand, a rabble rouser

Choose two advantages:
    ❑ Your audience is utterly devoted to you
    X You can easily speak to them at any time
    ❑ You have a PR agent to handle your audience
    ❑ You earn a lot of money from their interest
    ❑ You have a major hero’s endorsement
    X You have a much wider audience

Choose two demands your audience makes on you:
    X They require constant stimulation
    ❑ They require perfection—no mistakes
    ❑ They require frequent bouts of drama
    ❑ They require major acts of heroism
    X They require novelty and brand new action
    ❑ They require chemistry with your allies

When you accept what your audience tells you about yourself, clear a condition.
    When you reject what your audience tells you about yourself, on a hit mark potential and expect retribution.
    When you seek help from your audience, roll + Superior.
    On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up.
    On a 10+, they only make a small demand.
    On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher.
    On a miss, you’ve made a mistake, and your audience won’t help you until you’ve redeemed yourself in their eyes.

As for Relationships:

Relationships
    Errant White might wind up being more of a star than me some day! He's got that whole attractive, strong, wholesome thing going on, real 'leading man' stuff. Plus, the whole 'knight in shining armour' aesthetic plays really well with a lot of folks.
    Liminal would be a great sidekick; I try to keep them around. I know it's a stretch, but I can see great things happening with a JigaWatt and Rubber Band Girl team-up!
    Last edited by Captain Jak; 2020-01-05 at 11:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Apologies for breaking character posting.

I'm giving Liminal and White Errant Influence over me. I'll hold off my on my third Influence until the Outsider is posted. I have

You keep trying to impress with your antics.

You and pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.
    For relationships. I was thinking that Liminal would be the person I am trying to impress. The stunt could easily be Jiga though the Outsider might be a cool fit too.

@Liminal: Kye is a native to Halcyon. Albion went away long long long before 2019. His parents may well have been native to Halcyon as well though...that's easily left in the air. Either way, Kye's lived in Halcyon his whole life. I don't see an issue with Liminal and Fox knowing one another from before as civilians, but I'm not really worried. There's 10 slots, five of us. There'll be time to get put in if not here.

Also, amusingly to myself, other than the GM and their roommate, I've been a GM to everyone playing in this game and never a player with. That is a weird feel. The pressure is on.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-11-02 at 07:27 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

JW is totally down for awesome stunts, even ones that end up being a wee bit illegal....

7. - Top - End - #7

I'd like to make sure everyone gets an equal spread if we can. Outsider hasn't posted a sheet at all yet, which is cool, but hard to know where their compass is set until they do. The only person that doesn't make sense for me is Errant and while I'm not sure Errant feels the same, I don't really see Fox fitting in for his.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry for the late reply. I had to work unexpectedly yesterday. Here's my character sheet. I've never done this before, so I'm taking cues from the other posters. Hope that's okay.

Spoiler: Characcter Sheet
    Show

Name: Aneece (Alias: Lisa)
    Hero Name: Blithe
    Playbook: The Outsider

Look:
    I haven't been able to draw her just yet, but I have an idea of what I want her to look like:
    Woman | Green skin(Black in her disguise) | Human Body | Four white eyes | Human Clothing from the 80's

Abilities:
    Radical Shapeshifting
    Telepathy and Mind Blasts

Spoiler: Moves
    Show
    Moves:
    Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
    - it works exceptionally well
    - you get an additional use out of it

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses.
    +Chameleon plating
    +Telepathic
    -Bizarre fuel source
    -Difficult to repair

Not so different after all: When you talk about your home, roll + Freak. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one.
    - confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
    - mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
    - describe the glories of your home; clear a condition On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with Earthlings before now.

Spoiler: Stats and Conditions
    Show
    Labels:
    Freak: +1
    Danger: -1
    Savior: 0

Conditions

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Relationships:
    You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
    You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.
    I would like to discuss this with the team.

Influence:
    They have Influence over me: Everyone

Backstory:
    Aneece was sent on a mission by her parents, who hoped to teach her responsibility. However along the way she crash landed on Earth, which was a blessing in disguise. Aneece is in no hurry to repair her ship and is treating her time on Earth more like a vacation than a detour. She now spends most of her time enjoying herself in any way she can, which, of course, includes playing the part of a hero.

Anceece's heroics are themselves an act of rebellion. I don't have the concept for her people fully planned out, my idea so far is kinda like Dimir from MTG Guilds of Ravnica. They use their telepathy and shapeshifting to infiltrate and conquer planets from the inside out and are absolutely bastards. I would imagine that her parents were both high up on the social ladder and very strict with high standards that she could never reach.

That said, she could possibly do a heel turn should her parents find her on earth. Just food for thought.

Hope that works. If she seems under-developed, it's because I'm a "by the seat of the pants" sort of roleplayer. I prefer to flesh out my characters with improv.

Anyway, I was hoping to discuss the relationships with the team. As an outsider, someone needs to teach her that the world developed past the 80's. Of course she'll probably insist that the 80's were totally tubular and that it's incredibly lame that we changed at all. She also needs a crush according to the Outsider playbook.

gosh I'm nervous.

9. - Top - End - #9

Nothing to be nervous about. We're all here to enjoy ourselves. Answering the background questions i think would help a little to flesh your outsider out. Give us more detail of where she comes from and who is here to help other than the team

Also, GM and Donut, I'd you don't have all the books let me know. I'd be happy to share them with you.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-11-02 at 10:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Name: Aiden Probably-changing-my-last-name
    Alias: Errant White
    Playbook: The Legacy
    Labels:
    Freak: -1
    Danger: +0
    Savior: +2
    Superior: +0

Conditions:

Afraid:
    Angry:
    Guilty:
    Insecure:
    Hopeless:

Other Status:

I have Influence on: Fox, JiggaWatt, Blithe

They have Influence on me: Fox, Liminal, JiggaWatt, Blithe

Potential:
    O O O O O

Relationships:
    You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with JiggaWatt.
    You trust Liminal and told them an important secret of your legacy.

When the team first came together
    All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?
    Some time after that first fight, we received a message on Veil from Corax, one of Lich Girl's apprentices. She respected what we did, stepping into a situation that others wouldn't have. She'd done some digging, and turned up a lead on the origin of the drugs.

Spoiler: Aiden, the White Knight
    Show
    Errant White, the Legacy
    Civilian Name: Aiden Myrfen

Look:
    • Ambiguous, Man, Shifting, Transgressing, Woman
    • Asian or South Asian, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Indigenous, Middle Eastern, White
    • Comfortable clothing, School uniform, Traditional clothing, Trendy clothing
    • Modern costume, Traditional costume, Unique costume, Predecessor’s costume
    • Animal insignia, Letter insignia, Simple symbol insignia, No insignia

Labels:
    • Danger: -1
    • Freak: 0
    • Savior: +2
    • Superior: +1
    • Mundane: +1

Abilities:
    • Divine armor,Magic weaponry, Mythic might, Legendary speed, God-like beauty

Chosen by the magical sword Durendal as its wielder and further empowered by the protective magics of the wizard Bartimaeus, Aiden is a champion of truth, justice, and the Albion way.

Legacy: Bartimaeus's Knights Errant, the Knights of Albion
    • Bartimaeus the Blind oversees the Knights Errant on their quest to re-establish their legendary kingdom.
    • Cordelia Lennox, Errant Green, is still active and prominent in the city. She serves as the de facto chief diplomat and spokesperson for the Albion diaspora.
    • Archimagos is the greatest opponent my legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

In a time now long past, the wizard Bartimaeus made a deal for power with the dragon Archimagos. Unable to see his folly for what it was, the wizard ushered in the destruction of his beloved kingdom of Albion and the death of its king Uther. Archimagos wiped the kingdom of Albion from the map, scattering its people across the world. To this day, the dragon hunts the Albians, systematically eradicating all traces of Uther's royal bloodline. For centuries, Bartimaeus has hid his shame from the world, bending himself to the task of re-creating the kingdom he inadvertently destroyed. He guides an ever-changing team of Knights Errant, sending them on noble and heroic quests. The Knights are his agents in the world, the tools he will use to rebuild lost Albion.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
    - have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
    - have you maintained the image of your legacy?
    - have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest — expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Advancement:
    Moves:
    • [X] Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.
    • [ ] I know what I am: Once per scene, when you defend a teammate you can shift Savior up and another Label down in addition to any other benefits from the move, even on a miss. If you do, add 1 Team to the pool.
    • [ ] Words of the past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.
    • [X] The legacy matters: When you take Influence over someone from your legacy (or give them Influence over you), mark potential and take +1 forward. When someone from your legacy causes your Labels to shift, mark potential and take +1 forward.
    • [ ] Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
      - you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
      - you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
      - you keep your attacker’s attention
      On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.
    • [ ] Symbol of authority: When you give an NPC an order based on authority they recognize, roll + Savior. On a hit, they choose one:
      - do what you say
      - get out of your way
      - attack you at a disadvantage
      - freeze
      On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Moment of Truth:
    This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves
    • When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.
    • When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships:
    • You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with _____.
    • You trust _____ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence:
    You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Spoiler: Influence
    Show
    I have Influence Over:
    • _____

They have Influence Over Me:
    • _____

They have Lost Influence over Me:
    • None

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    • When did you officially become a part of your legacy?
      It's been almost nine months since Bartimaeus summoned me. I'll never forget that day. I'd heard of Bartimaeus of course, what Albian hasn't? But it's not like I ever thought I'd meet him, almost nobody ever gets to. He was nothing like what I'd imagined. You always hear him called Bartimaeus the Blind, you expect him to be, well, blind, right? You picture this tall, gaunt, Gandalf sort of figure, long white beard and flowing robes and pointy hat and a staff. But it wasn't like that at all. Sure, he's got the white hair, but it's short and his beard is trimmed close to his face, and he's wearing a paisley waistcoat with a pocket watch worn double-Windsor style and tassle loafers! And he looks me up and down and says, "You must be Aiden." Just like that, all serious and thoughtful like it was this grand deduction, and I'm thinking, 'Who else could it be, you're the one who summoned me here, right?' And then I'm burning up, face must have been as red as my hair and I'm wondering if I'm going to be struck dead on the spot or something because I basically just called Bartimaus the Drood a bumbling idiot, and even if it was just in my head, he could probably read my thoughts or something, right? But instead of smiting me, he gets this twinkle in his eye and the corner of his mouth turns up in just the barest whisper of a smile, and he says, "Durendal certainly knows how to pick them." Which I guess was his way of telling me I'm the next White Knight. Everything else was a bit of a blur after that, to be honest.

Officially, though. There's the rub. It isn't official, yet. I was chosen by Durendal, the Sword of Roland, rightfully wielded by the White Knight of Albion, but the other Knights have refused me. They say I'm too young, it's unprecedented, that there must be a mistake. Sometimes I wonder if they're right. I don't know why Durendal chose me. There have been times when maybe I wish it had been someone else. But when you're chosen to be a Knight of the Realm, saying no isn't an option. So I live every day trying to live up to this calling, to prove that it wasn't a mistake. One day, maybe I'll convince them. And hopefully myself.
    • What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?
      The Knights of Albion are some of the most storied heroes in the history of the world! Uther and his knights fought off the invasion of the Anglo-Saxons. Joan of Arc was a Blue Knight, one of the most famous knights to come from the ranks of the peasantry. And Cordelia Lennox, the current Green Knight, helped broker the peace treaty between Earth and the Zzenj invasion force. There are too many stories to tell, but if I had to pick just one...

Cailís na Ríthe. The Chalice of Kings. You've heard all the stories about it. Lost after the destruction of Albion at the hands of the dragon Archimagos. Bartimaeus and the Knights have been searching for it since the fall. Wars fought over it, crusades launched in its name, generations of Knights spent lifetimes in the search. Well, Eoin Brannagh, the previous White Knight, found it. Bartimaeus refuses to say much about what happened. All I know is that Eoin died to get it. But it's back! With the Chalice in our hands, we're that much closer to putting Albion back on the map! Truly, in hundreds of years of quests and great deeds, nothing could hope to beat retrieving the Chalice!
    • How does the public perceive your legacy?
      The Knights Errant are paragons of Albion, their exploits the stuff of legend! For hundreds of years, people in countries across the world have known that the Knights of Albion stand for truth, justice, and mercy. Of course they're defenders of Albion, but with our kingdom scattered to the corners of the Earth, Albion is everywhere. Archimagos thought he could destroy us by destroying our castles, our towns, our borders. But he was wrong. Until the day we can restore the kingdom, all the world is Albion, and the Knights of the Realm will defend it to the last.
    • How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?
      Every Albian grows up pretending to be a Knight Errant! The Knights are the best of us, embodying the ideals of Albion and the code of chivalry. They are defenders of the meek and the downtrodden. They stand up to injustice and make right by might. They are honest, faithful, and true, each one worthy to sit at the Round Table of old with King Uther and all the others. I was chosen to be the White Knight by Durendal. I have no choice but to be a hero!
      The team means...more than I can say. I was supposed to be on a different team, but they turned me away. I'm too young, too inexperienced, maybe not even worthy to be a Knight, according to them. But this team? They accept me, they fight the good fight alongside me. Each of them has something to teach me about being a Knight, and with their help, I'll show the others - the world, even - that Durendal didn't make a mistake. I'll show them that I have what it takes to be the White Knight.

I've been out of town, but I return tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with everybody! I think we have most of who I'd recruit for an all-star team, so I'm very excited to see what comes out of this. @Malexia it's very good to have you back, and I'm honored to be playing with you again! @Donut-lich, if Malexia vouches for you, I doubt you've got anything to be worried about. It's gonna be a good time! @Razade I guess we're both going to have to find just a little more time, aren't we? It's been fun collaborating on Albion so far, I can't wait to see what else we do with it, especially once Malexia gets her hands in it! And you finally get to be a player! @Kirjath I hope you're doing well! It's been a little while since the last one, but I'm thrilled to see you back in the Janus seat... and I'm a Legacy again too XD I want to see how you're going to top Nuisance. EDIT: Nuisance was a Beacon, and I am dumb. @Captain Jak I know we haven't had too much time to interact on-panel in San Fran: After Dark, but I've been impressed with how well you play with other players' characters. I'm ready to get Amp'd!

Now for the all-important book-keeping stuff. Everybody gets Influence over Aiden. For relationships, I'm thinking JiggaWatt is a pretty natural fit for doing something that shames my Legacy. Aiden was doing some motorcycle jousting. It's frowned upon by adults but culturally accepted (like teenage drinking), and it's usually rowdy Albians settling their differences with an honor duel; part schoolyard fight, part playing chicken. For the second relationship, I feel like either Blithe or Liminal are better suited for that. My Playbook question is "All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?" Malexia, how do you feel about me throwing in one of Lich Girl's apprentices?

Razade and I have been having discussions about Albion and Albian culture. We're putting together a doc, but it'll certainly get added on to as the game goes on. It was originally Razade's concept, so if he contradicts something I say about it, he's probably got the right of it. Albion is heavily inspired by Camelot and Arthurian myth. Some parts of it are Camelot with the serial numbers filed off, but there are some innovations as well. Albion was a pre-British Gaelic kingdom somewhere out in the British Isles but was destroyed by the dragon Archimagos. The Albians fled their shattered kingdom and now live in a diaspora that has existed for over 1000 years and can be found in many diverse areas of the world. Mainline Albian culture has kept itself culturally distinct, refusing to assimilate into any of the other cultures they live in, and they intend to see their kingdom re-established. Their leader (such that there can really be a leader of a diaspora) is a mysterious, nigh-immortal wizard knows as Bartimaeus (the Drood, the Blind, the Wise, and many other names beside) who works through a rotating team of powerful vassals, the Knights Errant. The Knights are the spiritual successors to King Uther's Knights of the Realm (a take on King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table). Aidan is part of this mainline Albian culture. There is another splinter culture the Black Knights, or the Sons and Daughters of Albion, that Kye is part of, and I'll let Razade say more about them.

Conceptually, the Knights Errant take some inspiration from Power Rangers and Japanese sentai media (as well as Saban's Mystic Knights of Tir-na-Nog which was...earnest, but not great). Bartimaeus draws on Merlin as well as Zordon from Power Rangers. The Knights each possess a legendary weapon or armor from the various knightly Romances (not just Arthurian). Aiden is currently analogous to a Sixth Ranger and doesn't occupy a main spot among the Knights, but he was chosen by the sword Durendal, so he is indisputably the White Knight/Errant White. In real-world myth, Durendal is associated with Roland who is from the Charlemagne group of stories rather than Arthurian; Albion does go a little bit further than just being a Camelot rip-off. The Knights are not confined to Halcyon City, and most of them are probably from other countries. As team they're an important global force and Aiden is, frankly, not in their league. Each of the Knights also has some suitably important role in the world; Cordelia Lennox, the current Errant Green, is Albion's chief diplomat and is sort of a figurehead ruler of the diaspora in her own right. She has previously brokered a peace deal between Earth and the Zzenj, an invading alien force (and Albion's status as a non-existing country played a key role in that) and some Albians are starting to whisper that she might even be the one to re-establish Albion. @Donut-lich I have no real details on the Zzenj, they're a blank page right now. As another alien, that's something you could contribute to answering :)

Aiden is just a kid (a good kid, but still a kid) who has had greatness and overwhelming expectation thrust onto his shoulders. In a lot of ways, he's a paladin, and he has to live every day trying his best to live up to a standard of perfection that he knows he can't really attain. He's learning that there's more to being a Knight than a fancy sword and a wizard's magic. I understand that the tone of the game will lean a bit dark, but I'm hoping Aiden can be something of a straight man for the other characters to play against. I'm also considering taking more defense-minded moves and I'd like to see how the game plays with a tank that uses defend moves in combat.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-11-08 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

@DreadPirateH and @Razade thank you. I'm just shy, really. I've been roleplaying for years now, though it's usually less structured than this. You know, like the kind on tumblr. You know. The worst website.

I have spoken with our lovely GM and we both think it would be interesting if Aneece had a crush on Fox and was learning about earth from JigaWatt, the resident Youtube Star. Are there any objections to that?

Anyway, as for the character development questions.

A few of the character questions for the Outsider I've already answered. Why is she here on Earth? It was an accident. Why is she staying and acting as a hero? Irresponsible/Rebelling against her strict parents. She could just as easily fallen in with the wrong crowd. As for her people, to stick with the spice names(a reference to my girl, Starfire), I've decided on the name Cardamox(Cardamom) for the home planet, making her and her people the Cardexians.

Cardexians are, like Dimir, spies and infiltrators. They read minds, alter thoughts, spread misinformation, and discover dark secrets that can tear down societies from the inside out. All while disguised as one of your own. Cardexians are ciphers to everyone but the in-group. Lying isn't exactly possible with those who can read your mind, is it? In fact, I would say that it's more common for them to communicate through thought than with spoken word.

As for Aneece's parents, they are most likely important "diplomats" wanting to groom their daughter to be just like them. I would imagine that they want her back because A) She's their daughter, I guess and B) She could be damning to their cause. To expanding the empire. She could be used against them politically! Can you imagine? How dreadful.

The last question on the sheet is about the team. When our characters first came together, they didn't trust each other. But that changed. Why? I'm not sure I can answer that one by my self. Any thoughts?

Finally DreadPirateH's inquiry about the Zzenj: I wouldn't mind having the Cardexians having ties to them. Perhaps they are allied in some way Picture this: The Zzenj being puppeteered by the Cardexians under the guise of being two allied races. Perhaps the invasion was a test of Earth's defenses orchestrated by the Cardexians. How does that sound?

12. - Top - End - #12

@DreadPirateH: You can absolutely make one of Lich Girl's apprentices the one you impressed! I was already thinking of involving that cast, so this makes it even easier. And don't worry about the "hero" part of that, it's okay to pick one of the less heroic apprentices. Do you already have one in mind?

Also, can Durendal talk?

@Razade: I appreciate the offer! I've got all the books downloaded though, so no need to worry. I haven't read them as thoroughly as I should, but I'm working on it.

Thanks to you and Dread for giving me so much to work with, as regards Albion. I'm already cooking up some dragon-related plans.

Oh, and, now that Fox is mostly on his own, has he put any thought into finding a new teacher for his sorcery?

@CaptainJak: So, Lucan basically doesn't have a secret identity, right? JiggaWatt is his title and handle, but he doesn't hide who he is, from what I gather. How has this affected his relationship to the superhero community, and how does he keep that attention from unveiling the identities of his friends?

And could you tell me anything more about Monica Sells? (Like, if that name is an intentional Dresden Files reference or just a cute coincidence)

@Kirjath: Has Teagan ever been tempted to try and get sponsorships the way JiggaWatt does, with showmanship and publicity?

Moreover, what keeps her from asking her more affluent friends and fellow heroes for help as regards her money issues?

Edit: apprentices in this timeline are Corax (you would know her as Mellori, Dread, but this version isn't with the League), Kirin (younger but much the same), Ash (genderfluid shapeshifter, spirit-talker), Rhodes (Artificer, collector, vault manager), Wraith (shadow walker, mercenary), and two others who aren't in the public eye. Those five are known (at least on Veil) to have learned under Lich Girl, and now manage/rule the Ossuary in her absence. Lich Girl vanished nine months ago, roughly.
    Last edited by Malexia; 2019-11-03 at 04:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Donut-lich View Post
    I have spoken with our lovely GM and we both think it would be interesting if Aneece had a crush on Fox and was learning about earth from JigaWatt, the resident Youtube Star. Are there any objections to that?
    That's fine with me and I will put Aneece as the person I did a stunt with. I'm fine letting it be open and nebulous what we did so we can flesh it out in the story, if you're cool with that. I will also give Blithe my last Influence slot. Sorry Jigawatt.

Liminal and I discussed us knowing each other before she put the mask on. I'm still cool with that if you are Liminal. That'll give me two slots, I'm pleased with them.

Are we, for When the Team Came Together, going to answer the Bull and Nova questions. They usually help, just figuring out who we fought and where we fought them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malexia View Post

@Razade: I appreciate the offer! I've got all the books downloaded though, so no need to worry. I haven't read them as thoroughly as I should, but I'm working on it.

Thanks to you and Dread for giving me so much to work with, as regards Albion. I'm already cooking up some dragon-related plans.

Oh, and, now that Fox is mostly on his own, has he put any thought into finding a new teacher for his sorcery?
    No worries, figured I'd offer. Thank you, by the way, for the invite. Looking forward to being a player.

You're very welcome. I like to world build and while I'm sure I'd be happy with Sebastian, I think it's better to include other people in plans and plots and whatnot.

Kye has no current instructor in magic. He's learning on his own from scraps of information from the remaining Black Knights and stuff his parents left behind. He's obviously got the time but I imagine at this point he's close to running out of stuff from his people without an actual instructor. Kye's always looking for more power, so that's as fine a place to start him as any.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-11-03 at 05:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

@Kirjath: Has Teagan ever been tempted to try and get sponsorships the way JiggaWatt does, with showmanship and publicity?

Moreover, what keeps her from asking her more affluent friends and fellow heroes for help as regards her money issues?
    Well, first thing's first, she quite simply didn't think of it. When she first got started, her whole fight against Monotone ended when she sucker punched him from behind. After that, the news crews covered the whole thing, and she got fixated on the idea of joining the Halcyon League. When she met JigaWatt, it was like a "Why didn't I think of that?" moment. And then she saw how much effort he puts into maintaining his fan presence, and decided that it was far too much work compared to just ensuring she was good enough at the whole superhero business to get noticed by the League. She already has to train in order to make sure her capabilities are on par, there's no telling how much additional trouble it would be to also have to lug around a camera or otherwise maintain an internet presence. She also doesn't have regular access to a computer, instead going to a public library whenever she needs to get something done.

And, if she was being completely honest, Teagan doesn't really think she could pull that off. As noted in the backstory, she doesn't consider herself a "popular" hero. Her powers are weird, and her attitude could use some adjustment. In Liminal's experience, no one likes snark.

As for the next question, it's mostly pride. If she asked the others for money, she thinks they'd look down on her. She's also worried that it'd give more of a clue as to what her secret identity is, as her first superhero appearance was video taped and right outside her low-income apartment complex. Liminal being poor and her first superhero appearance being in a poor area are two clues she'd rather not give out. If anyone found out she was a high school dropout with financial issues, she worries they wouldn't let her do hero work anymore (or that the League wouldn't even accept her), and there goes most of her current dreams.

I marked Fox and JigaWatt for influence over Liminal. They seem much more collected and in charge of their heroic business than the others, leading Liminal to look to them for examples on what a hero should be like. This is not to say she is a good judge of character. I also have both of them for her relationship questions.

On the final note,
    We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?
    I actually want to go with someone from the Human Interest group.

"We saved Faith Rivers. Hey, it wasn't my idea! She's one of the higher ranking members of Human Interest, some dumb group of supremacists who think people like us, people like me, have no business being in the city. Or living out our lives. Well, I hope she appreciates irony, 'cause we saved her life. Faith was under attack by some understandably angry super, but we swooped in and put a stop to it. There's just no call for that sort of violence, no matter what was said."

I dunno why, I just like the idea. Someone no reasonable person would've expected the group to save, but their life was in danger from a super of some kind or other. If that doesn't work for the group, I'd shift to one of Lich Girl's apprentices or maybe even someone like Haywire or Weaver.
    Last edited by Kirjath; 2019-11-04 at 12:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malexia
    @DreadPirateH: You can absolutely make one of Lich Girl's apprentices the one you impressed! I was already thinking of involving that cast, so this makes it even easier. And don't worry about the "hero" part of that, it's okay to pick one of the less heroic apprentices. Do you already have one in mind?

Edit: apprentices in this timeline are Corax (you would know her as Mellori, Dread, but this version isn't with the League), Kirin (younger but much the same), Ash (genderfluid shapeshifter, spirit-talker), Rhodes (Artificer, collector, vault manager), Wraith (shadow walker, mercenary), and two others who aren't in the public eye. Those five are known (at least on Veil) to have learned under Lich Girl, and now manage/rule the Ossuary in her absence. Lich Girl vanished nine months ago, roughly.
    Looking back through, I think Corax is the best fit. All the specialists are really cool, and they work well as neutral parties to deal with. I feel like there are very clear narrative lines where Corax could fit in the story with the team we have. That said, I now wonder if that brings us a little too close to reboot territory, and maybe it's better to throw a few more totally new elements into the mix? Then again, I think I've managed to introduce a good amount already with this Legacy. Oy.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if there might be some variation of the Merlin and Nimue trope at play between Bartimaeus and Lich Girl or somebody else? Also, the Chalice of Kings was coincidentally recovered around the time Lich Girl vanished, about nine months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Malexia
    Also, can Durendal talk?
    I hadn't considered that before. I'm going to go with no, becuase it makes it more difficult for the other Knights to object to Aiden being the White Knight when the sword can literally speak for itself about why Aiden was chosen. That said, it's a legendary enchanted sword, so I imagine that there are some unspoken magics at play that endow it with some kind of intelligence and communication. I like the idea of the Knights' weapons being partners rather than mere tools. Aiden is probably a much better fighter when wielding Durendal than he ought to be and doesn't perform nearly as well with other mundane weaponry. I'm also thinking that there are lots more artifacts that aren't directly associated with any given Knight or place on the team that nonetheless functions similarly; there is an abundance of enchanted arms and armor strewn throughout the knightly Romances. Perhaps they share similar origins? @Razade do you have any thoughts on this? Is Fox's cloak in the same category?

Quote Originally Posted by Donut-lich
    Finally DreadPirateH's inquiry about the Zzenj: I wouldn't mind having the Cardexians having ties to them. Perhaps they are allied in some way Picture this: The Zzenj being puppeteered by the Cardexians under the guise of being two allied races. Perhaps the invasion was a test of Earth's defenses orchestrated by the Cardexians. How does that sound?
    That could be interesting. How do you think that would impact the legitimacy of the brokered peace treaty? Do you imagine that the Zzenj found Earth to have sufficient defenses, or is the peace treaty just a ruse? The GM ought to have a say in this as well because who knows what interplanetary governing bodies there are to pay witness to the treaty and ensure that it's enforceable.

I love Animorphs, and now I'm thinking about how certain elements from that could be used here. The Cardexians do seem to have some similarity to the Yeerks on a fundamental level, disguising themselves and embedding them in society in order to destroy it. Though they'd be even more dangerous because they have far fewer inherent limitations than the brain-slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade"
    Are we, for When the Team Came Together, going to answer the Bull and Nova questions. They usually help, just figuring out who we fought and where we fought them.
    I'm in favor of this approach.

@Kirjath I like Purity for this. It doesn't mean we're going to get any better press, but doing the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing is always good in Aiden's book.

Also, since Aiden is kind of a Power Ranger, I might opt to keep his identity hidden as well. Especially since the rest of the Knights have reservations about him, it's probably best for everyone involved if he keeps it secret. That gives him and Liminal a commonality, and maybe that would make Liminal a good person for Aiden to entrust with a secret about the Legacy?

Unrelated to anything else, but going back through the old thread, I notice that it picks up and gets considerably more interesting after the couple of initial action sequences. Malexia did an incredible job with the social intrigue part of that game.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-11-03 at 10:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateH View Post
    That could be interesting. How do you think that would impact the legitimacy of the brokered peace treaty? Do you imagine that the Zzenj found Earth to have sufficient defenses, or is the peace treaty just a ruse? The GM ought to have a say in this as well because who knows what interplanetary governing bodies there are to pay witness to the treaty and ensure that it's enforceable.

I love Animorphs, and now I'm thinking about how certain elements from that could be used here. The Cardexians do seem to have some similarity to the Yeerks on a fundamental level, disguising themselves and embedding them in society in order to destroy it. Though they'd be even more dangerous because they have far fewer inherent limitations than the brain-slugs.
    It's an interesting idea, that's for sure. We'll have to see if it fits into Malexia's plans. I certainly wouldn't mind having that be a plot point. I think it would be fun to make Aneece's race be responsible for a great deal of strife. Especially if they come to Earth and she's forced to do a heel turn. Then again, I'm probably thinking too far ahead.

That said, I want her to learn from that team that her people's ways are bad. Presently she's just carefree and looking to do whatever she sees as fun(which, at the moment, is being a hero). And to have her work with her parents against her team after coming to appreciate them and consider them her family would make fun a great plot point me thinks. Or alternatively I play a bad guy(Unlikely. I'm too soft). Of course this is all up to our lovely GM, so we will see when we get there.

As for the Yeerks, I've never read Animorphs, but after a brief skim of the wiki I can see what you mean. They are pretty similar in function. I came up with them on the fly at work after putting together a rudimentary idea of what I wanted Aneece to be like. All the layers of bastard came afterwards. Glad to see that what I've cooked up reminds you of something you love. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    That's fine with me and I will put Aneece as the person I did a stunt with. I'm fine letting it be open and nebulous what we did so we can flesh it out in the story, if you're cool with that. I will also give Blithe my last Influence slot.
    Awesome, glad to hear it! I am excited for this development. Aneece is on team bad boy. Go figure.

17. - Top - End - #17

@Razade: I'm definitely in favor of Nova and Bull being answered. You're absolutely right, it will help flesh out the inciting incident a lot.

@Kirjath: I like the concept of saving a Human Interest type, but Purity is more of a super name. How about Faith Rivers?

Also, I don't how much the molotov comment is a joke, but the main faction of Human Interest has worked hard to keep an image of peaceful protest and "reasonable arguments" so as to avoid being labeled terrorists or dissidents. Splinter cells might go aggressive, but the core pillars of the group try very hard to keep up the image of being "better" than the "violent" supers they criticize. (An argument that falls apart if you look more closely at the connections that Human Interest has to AEGIS, but make of that what you will.)

@DreadPirateH: I've put a lot of thought into how this timeline will be a bit more than just a reboot. One of my earlier plans was to set it before Lich Girl claimed the Ossuary, but that version was starting to crowd out space for PC plotlines, so I axed it. I have a fair few ideas of how to put a twist on the interactions you'll have with the apprentices. I'll definitely be keeping Bartimaeus in mind as we explore the apprentices.

And good on you for spotting the timeframe similarity :)

Spoiler: Galactic Stuff
    Show
    Earth has not yet mastered galactic travel, though many of its residents are capable of it thanks to their metahuman capabilities. This places the planet in a strange position.

The Orion Accord (as English-speaking humans understand the name) is a coalition of galactic powers based in the Orion-Cygnus Arm. The Accord consists of hundreds of alien species, but the four "council members" are the Cardexians, the Moroi, the Za'al, and the Incarnate.

The Accord enforces any treaty between Accord signatories, but Earth is not technically part of the Accord, both because it has no central government and because of the aforementioned lack of galactic travel. However, many residents of Earth have relationships with the Accord, leading to Accord interest in events such as the Zzenj invasion and subsequent treaty. The Zzenj are, after all, signatories of the Accord.

What this leads to is an uneasy situation: while the Accord has no official power to punish the Zzenj for breaking the Earth treaty, there would absolutely be consequences on the galactic scale for doing so. Any member of the Accord who considers Earth more than a worthless backwater will take umbrage at the Zzenj flagrantly violating their word, and it would have serious trade and alliance impacts for the Zzenj.

Thank you for the kind words about the original game, as well.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

@Kirjath: I like the concept of saving a Human Interest type, but Purity is more of a super name. How about Faith Rivers?

Also, I don't how much the molotov comment is a joke, but the main faction of Human Interest has worked hard to keep an image of peaceful protest and "reasonable arguments" so as to avoid being labeled terrorists or dissidents. Splinter cells might go aggressive, but the core pillars of the group try very hard to keep up the image of being "better" than the "violent" supers they criticize. (An argument that falls apart if you look more closely at the connections that Human Interest has to AEGIS, but make of that what you will.)
    Absolutely, that works just fine. I'd figured they were a type of anti-mutant group like in X-men, but if that's not the case then it's even better. I'll nix the molotov comment, and replace it with something a little more suitable.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm flattered that everyone wants a piece of celebrity! :P While I'm not opposed to any of the proposed relationships, i don't want to hog all of the links; things work best when the ties are distributed more or less evenly, to give the most balanced bonds.

Unless, of course, we want to run this with Luc deciding he wants to put together his very own hero fam to help boost his celebrity and to do the most good, and he draws on the various metas he's had contact with. That's also an option, albeit a different start than most Masks games I've seen. :D Up to everyone on how they want to play that.

As for no spoiling the IDs of teammates...that hadn't occurred to JW until he had them. He would have started to be more careful about who was around and in background when he was filming any of his 'just me' bits, and would make sure everyone has their 'game face' on if he was going to be including them in his vids. It'll be good 'secret ID protocol' practice for everyone, to not use civvie names when in hero IDs.

20. - Top - End - #20

So do we want to brain storm who and where we fought? I know we're not sticking to a straight order but I think that'll help me decide exactly what rules we broke. Hard to break rules when you don't know what you were doing when you broke them.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Some ideas:

We fought a whole gang of dudes hopped up on a drug that gave them low-grade superpowers but made them highly susceptible to different forms of mind-control, suggestion, and the like. When we took down the leader, we found out they were all being controlled.

We fought a threat that escaped from AEGIS. The AEGIS people were overwhelmed and losing the fight and nobody else was stepping in to help.

We fought somebody or something that dragged us into another dimension/world/ alternate timeline/something and had a giant, epic adventure and when we came back it was like no time had actually passed and nobody else knew about it.

We fought a threat that put the entire city to sleep and we managed to become lucid in a shared dream and defeat the enemy.

Somebody animated all the trees in Metropolitan Park.

Our fight spilled over onto the grounds of an embassy, violating rules that they had for their own sovereign soil. Maybe even an interplanetary agency like the Zzenj embassy or the office of some representative from the galactic ruling council.
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-11-04 at 12:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateH View Post
    Here's an idea. We fought a whole gang of dudes hopped up on a drug that gave them low-grade superpowers but made them highly susceptible to different forms of mind-control, suggestion, and the like. When we took down the leader, we found out they were all being controlled.
    Yes please, please yes, oh this works sooooooo well with my plans. Thank you for this gift of material, muhahahah.

23. - Top - End - #23

If that's what the GM wants, who am I to argue.

Where did we fight them?
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-11-04 at 06:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

One imagines they were perhaps attempting some manner of criminal activity. Stopped a robbery somewhere? Or maybe just broke up a gang fight between multiple gangs? I had that other idea about the fight spilling over onto the grounds of an embassy or something, does anybody have thoughts on that?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Onto the embassy could be nice, during a rally or talks of some kind (to wrap it into my own question involving the Human Interest). Maybe the attack was at or near there to disrupt the proceedings, or maybe as Dread said the fight just naturally spilled over and thus some of the supes hopped up on drugs got violent with members of the Human Interest and other important figures. We very well could have destroyed a couple historical artifacts or maybe the assembly room of such a place.

26. - Top - End - #26

Works for me if it works for everyone else.

If it does.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

The short and long of it is pretty simple. Under Article 60 and 61 of the Criminal Code only AEGIS has jurisdiction in Meta-Human Crime while on foreign soil. We fought at the Embassy, that's foreign soil enough for us to be under some scrutiny now. Probably broke a slew of minor laws too, breaking and entering and that nonsense. Article 60 is a big one, 61 too. Teen heroes can't be involved with AEGIS operations unless they're official members of the organization....which we're not.
    Last edited by Razade; 2019-11-05 at 05:00 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Looks like things are starting to slow down a little, but it seems that we haven't finalized relationships yet. JiggaWatt pointed out that they're the focus of a large number of them. I can change mine easily enough. So I was caught doing something that shamed my Legacy with someone either Blithe or Fox. Probably Blithe? Since I'm keeping my identity secret, it makes it more difficult to include things that happen in my secret identity so it'd more likely be something that happened while heroing. I think Aiden has a lot to live up to with the code of chivalry, so there's plenty of potential. Maybe he and Blithe/Fox got involved in something that was trivial? Or maybe they escalated a fight unnecessarily? Involving themselves in a situation that was already under control?

EDIT: It looks like my change doesn't meaningfully change the balance. Not counting my two, each other character (Blithe, Liminal, Fox, JiggaWatt) each have 2, I have 0. So my two push people to 3 either way. In that case, might as well keep it as JiggaWatt unless Blithe or Fox have any cool ideas?
    Last edited by DreadPirateH; 2019-11-05 at 06:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

It seems relationships are sorted though Errant has 0 with everyone. Blithe and Liminal have the Lions Share. I think we're just waiting on the last two team questions

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Whelp, looks like I had an unclear idea just who had relationships with whom. 😁

Oh, regarding Monica Sells, I think I unconsciously cribbed that from Storm Front -- no intent to bring Dresden into this!

I'll get the Star's first story question up shortly.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I could switch one of Liminal's relationships to Errant White. Instead of JigaWatt, it could be Errant who asked about her secret identity and she refused to answer.