New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Unearthed Arcana 11/4

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 11/4

Wait, Rangers didn’t get Dominate Beast?
    Did they just forget?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

So more spells for free is a class "variant"?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

OMG, sorcerers gained SOOOOO much! They can replace spells at long rests like Wizards! No more torturing yourself over spell choices!
    Sorcerers have a new metamagic to change elemental damage types on spells, for 1 sorcery point! Thunder Meteor Swarm has a Power Level over 9000!

Edit: Wow, Warlocks are getting even more. Spell replacement feature, some new spells (Greater Invisibility, Shapechange, Weird, GATE), … and the invocations are wow²: Bladelocks can now ignore all armor proficiencies… Tomelocks can get concentration saving throws advantage… Chainlocks can finally (!!!) improve their familiars granting them attacks and infusions…

I think the Sprite is really powerful if you give it the saving throw power: His ranged +6 attack (with advantage due to invisibility) can poison people on your spell save DC then. All of that as a bonus action! But a flying Sea Horse/Octopus/Quipper is really stylish.

Let's hope most of this stuff makes it into the next rulebook!
    Last edited by Theaitetos; 2019-11-04 at 04:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Most of this seems very haphazard and mostly flat out upgrades.

I'd like to see real alternative class features that offer meaningful choice.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

So yeah... Big changes available.
    My gut instincts are:
    1. The barbarian got shafted. It's changes are a waste of time.
    2. The bard got some good changes but none of them were crazy overpowered.
    3. The cleric got some gentle but good changes. And here we see the beginning of the oversharing of Aura of Vitality. Good changes but not overpowered.
    4. Druids got a little more of a bump than clerics. Better spells. Interesting changes to wild shaping. All in all, stronger than the bump that clerics got, but still not overbearingly so.
    5. Fighters got a needed bump. Though honestly... it was more of a bump to Battle Masters. The other fighter subclasses were essentially nerfed in comparison despite now getting a very limited access to maneuvers.
    6. Monks were given some options that make them more customizable. You can build your monk a little more the way you want to. Which is something I'm all for. Not sure I'd call it a significant power jump.
    7. Paladins... I mean seriously. They got given cantrips which is long overdue. But by adding Spirit Guardians to their spell list... you just ramped up their power level seriously. That and they get guidance. Which means they make clerics, who didn't get any significant boost, now less necessary.
    8. And now for the star of this whole UA... I LOVE the changes to the Ranger. It maintains the same power level... but makes them more playable in the paradigm of 5e. So much more interactive without a carte blanche handwaving that occurred with the most recent Rev. Ranger. Great changes. Can't really express how much I like these changes.
    9. Rogue had very little added to it. But what they did add was excellent. An already excellent class with a good change. One paragraph changes count.
    10. Sorcerors were simultaneously boosted and nerfed. The new metamagics are sick. Having access to the new spells is okay... Still does nothing for overall spells known. Spell Versatility mitigates this slightly... but I'm not sure it's enough. Especially seeing as every major spellcaster got it.
    11. Warlocks got a great boost. One that made the other Pacts more viable and interesting. Some of them are so good as to be an invocation tax. But it makes more ways of playing a warlock viable. So I'm all for it.
    12. Wizards were mostly left alone. Which is as it should be.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

First impressions. Very good lots of needed changes. Will look over this in detail later

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My two favorite classes (fighters and sorcerers) got well needed upgrades, so happy to try them out.

Though someone correct me if I am wrong, if any monk (potentially) has the ability to select marital weapons, whats the point of Kensei?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Warlocks get quite a few new Invocations.

Blade Pact users get a wonderful way to wear armor, so hexblade isn’t the only option anymore

Chain wielders get.... Man. Using YOUR spell DC for their abilities? That can get crazy.

Don’t like all of them getting access to Greater Invisibility when that’s supposed to be an Archfey thing.

Do like Paladins getting Spirit Guardians!

And Clerics get a decent lv8 alternative. So you aren’t pigeonholed into Divine Strike or Potent Spellcasting anymore, that’s nice.

And Clerics now get Wall of Light.... but still no Sunbeam. Damnit.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
    My two favorite classes (fighters and sorcerers) got well needed upgrades, so happy to try them out.

Though someone correct me if I am wrong, if any monk (potentially) has the ability to select marital weapons, whats the point of Kensei?
    The hell was the point of Kensei before this?

I say that only half joking.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Wait, Rangers didn’t get Dominate Beast?
    Did they just forget?
    They do, last spell on page 7.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Oh MAN this is so exciting! Everything I was reading I kept saying "Wow, that's cool!" over and over. I especially love the new fighting styles, plus a lot of the alternate feature feel really neat and help add flavor.

I really enjoy the Warlock's new invocations for one. You can finally wear heavy armor as a Warlock and be a real front line fighter with the Eldritch Armor invocation, Pact of the Fiend with the Blade Pact boon feature and this invocation, and so many more combos. This is really exciting!

Pact of the Chain got more exciting as well, as did Pact of the Tome. These really beef up the Warlock to be interesting. I enjoy this.

The ranger changes are so good I don't even have the words and Ranger was already my favorite class. I'm so amped I want to trash all my current characters and play rangers in every campaign now aaaaaaaaaa

The only thing that bothers me is that they still didn't fix beast master. The scaling isn't quite right, IMO and unless you pick a beast of air or earth you don't get good action economy. I think the one thing that could have stayed from revised ranger AND been improved upon was the way the beast companion got your proficiency to a bunch of stuff to make it tougher over the campaign. AC 12 ain't gonna cut it at level 11+
    Last edited by Ravinsild; 2019-11-04 at 04:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

RANGERS HUNTER’S MARK DOES NOT REQUIRE CONCENTRATION!

Wow. Wow that’s.... Alrighty! Not gonna complain about that!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    RANGERS HUNTER’S MARK DOES NOT REQUIRE CONCENTRATION!

Wow. Wow that’s.... Alrighty! Not gonna complain about that!
    Just saw that...thats going to be dangerous if someone feels like dipping into warlock (or magic initiate). Hunters mark + hex.
    Last edited by Skyblaze; 2019-11-04 at 03:55 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Just saw that...thats going to be dangerous if someone feels like dipping into warlock. Hunters mark + hex.
    Hunter’s Mark + Arcane Weapon (Artificer)

AW stays on your Weapon. If you used Hex, you’d need another bonus action to move the effect of Hex just like you’d need to for Hunter’s Mark.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Oh, everyone got Spell Versatility and that applies to cantrips as well. Isn't that kind of against all the things the designers used to say about cantrips "being fixed in your mind from years of training"?

Not that I'm against it, but it kinda feels weird that you no longer have to chose cantrips carefully. I'd be in favor of toning cantrip replacement down to "when you gain a level in this class" instead of "when you finish a long rest".

Anyway, if this becomes official, they need to make some changes to subclass spell lists: If every warlock gets Greater Invisibility and Flaming sphere, the Archfey & Celestial patrons need replacements there. If every Sorcerer gets spell versatility, the Divine Soul needs clarification on whether cleric spells can be taken as well.

17. - Top - End - #17

This looks more like a "Here's some ideas for 5.5" than class feature variants. Which I would like, honestly. Just hope it would catch on quickly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Tireless option for Rangers makes a 1 level dip really tempting for anyone playing a Berserker.

Also how did Berserker not get an alternate Class feature??
    Last edited by GlenSmash!; 2019-11-04 at 04:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    The Tireless options for Rangers makes a 1 level dip really tempting for anyone playing a Berseker.

Also how did Berserker not get an alternate Class feature??
    Because it’s class features, not archetype features that are getting alternatives.

20. - Top - End - #20

GnomeWizardGuy

Ranger spells added includes Aid in the 1st level spell list. Must be a typo / mistake.
    Emongnome

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theaitetos View Post
    I'd be in favor of toning cantrip replacement down to "when you gain a level in this class" instead of "when you finish a long rest".
    Isn't that what it already is? At least based on the version of the document I'm seeing:

"Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can
    replace one cantrip you learned from this
    Spellcasting feature with another cantrip from
    the wizard spell list."

Edit: Oh I see you're referring to the Spell Versatility feature of the spontaneous casters, nevermind!
    Last edited by EdenIndustries; 2019-11-04 at 04:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Because it’s class features, not archetype features that are getting alternatives.
    There's a variant for Beast Master.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Besides Beastmaster, Battlemaster is also a focus for these changes over other Fighter subclasses.

24. - Top - End - #24

Spell versatility adds more to sorcerers than to anyone else, simply because, with such limited options they had such difficulty covering off other options or flexing into different roles A much needed change which is appreciated.

I still feel that the spell list needs a few more options here, and I really would modify some metamagic powers but this one simple change is huge.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Does Magical Inspiration works for every target of an AoE spell? That would be way more than most other uses.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by EdenIndustries View Post
    Edit: Oh I see you're referring to the Spell Versatility feature of the spontaneous casters, nevermind!
    On second thought, I changed my mind about toning it down, for two reasons:
    First, you can only change one spell per long rest, so if you change a cantrip you can't change a higher level spell.
    Second, it's very fair and lore-friendly in comparison with wizards: Wizards memorize a lot, and their cantrips are deeply embedded in their minds, so they cannot change their cantrips unless they gain a level. On the other hand they can change all their prepared spells every long rest. Spontaneous casters don't memorize much, so cantrips should be dealt with in the same way as their other spells.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Just saw that...thats going to be dangerous if someone feels like dipping into warlock (or magic initiate). Hunters mark + hex.
    I think replacement features is a great way to go rather than more new sub classes. Some of them might need a bit better balance though.

I read Spell Versatility on the Bard and thought great moving them a little closer to Cleric. Then I saw other casters getting the same power and it no longer seemed special.

28. - Top - End - #28

DruidGuy

Why most of these alternative features are just buffs?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I was feeling exasperated just looking at this thing.

Then I read it. And messages my players- I'm allowing everything here, effective immediately.

I like these ideas, a lot. I hope they expand on this in whatever future publication this goes to. A 5Extra (5.5?) is possibly the best chance we're going to get at truly fixing the bits that bug everyone.

My only glaring issue is they still haven't touched two-weapon fighting.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

So, Barbarian can trade Danger Sense for 2 expertise.
    They can trade fast movement for a 15' reaction shift.

Every full caster gets new spells. Every list caster can swap a spell every night. Every prepared caster can swap a cantrip every level. Every fighting style gets some mediocre options (but not bad as a 2nd one) and ability to swap out every level.

Rangers and Paladins can swap a fighting style for Druid and Cleric cantrip access.

Bards inspiration works on magic.

Clerics can burn divinity for a 1st level spell slot, and get a patch on their d8 damage ability. They get elemental weapon.

Druids can burn a wild shape for a temporary familiar. Also get Revivify level 3 spell.

Fighters get a Battlemaster-based fighting style (ie, like dueling). And Superiority dice get more options and overnight swap out.

Monks get to pick their monk weapons. Also, whenever they spend ki, they can do a "free half flurry", and get two minor ki abilities.

Rangers get a Natural Explorer swap, which is really good and flavorful. They can also swap Favored Enemy for concentration-free Hunter's Mark. They get Revivify (at level 10), Awaken and Dominate Beast. Primal Awareness is a bunch of 1/day spells they get as bonus instead of the old "radar" thing. Hide in Plain Sight swaps for a 1/day bonus action 1 turn invisiblity. The Beast ranger companion can be a primal spirit (that looks like an animal) that can be resurrected and can attack as a bonus action.

Rogues can aim.

Sorcerers get some new good uses for sorcery points.

Warlocks get a new pact, and some nice pact-specific invocations.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2019-11-04 at 04:52 PM.