New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 11/4

Some solid stuff here. The expanded spell lists alone can be just added without any issues. I like a lot of what I'm seeing, heck, I more of less offer the versatility options here as a DM, I let my players respec if necessary. I still need to digest some of these new features, but my initial read is pretty positive.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
    My two favorite classes (fighters and sorcerers) got well needed upgrades, so happy to try them out.

Though someone correct me if I am wrong, if any monk (potentially) has the ability to select marital weapons, whats the point of Kensei?
    I thought as I read that part that yeah, it makes Kensei obsolete. Sorcs finally get Flaming Sphere (I know, it's not that great a spell) so yay! Also being able to change spells gets rid of the possibility of building a sorc wrong. I love it as well as the mms for changing elemental damage and gaining temp HP.
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

While some of these changes seem like straight up power boosts, and others seem like they make subclasses subpar (looking at you, Kensei Monks), did anyone else notice the boost to 4e Monks? Being able to make a bonus action attack after you use Ki during your action allows 4e Monks to make an unarmed strike after using one of their spells, which is really nice.

On other aspects of this, I like that Sorcs can now change element types, I am still annoyed at the lack of elements besides fire being added to their list. Seriously, what do I need to do to get more acid spells added to their list?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

The new Warlock Subclass, pact of the Talisman, it seems they accidentally wrote in what the Invocation directly above it instead of giving it an ability. Look at the invocation Protection of the Talisman and the Pact of the Talisman, both on page 12.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
    Though someone correct me if I am wrong, if any monk (potentially) has the ability to select marital weapons, whats the point of Kensei?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    The hell was the point of Kensei before this?
    The kensei is underappreciated, but these changes to the base class would definitely make it pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Myrmidon View Post
    This looks more like a "Here's some ideas for 5.5" than class feature variants. Which I would like, honestly. Just hope it would catch on quickly.
    I share that sentiment.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aett_Thorn View Post
    While some of these changes seem like straight up power boosts, and others seem like they make subclasses subpar (looking at you, Kensei Monks), did anyone else notice the boost to 4e Monks? Being able to make a bonus action attack after you use Ki during your action allows 4e Monks to make an unarmed strike after using one of their spells, which is really nice.

On other aspects of this, I like that Sorcs can now change element types, I am still annoyed at the lack of elements besides fire being added to their list. Seriously, what do I need to do to get more acid spells added to their list?
    Spend 1 Sorcery Point per spell with the new metamagic, apparently.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    The new Warlock Subclass, pact of the Talisman, it seems they accidentally wrote in what the Invocation directly above it instead of giving it an ability. Look at the invocation Protection of the Talisman and the Pact of the Talisman, both on page 12.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but Protection of the Talisman seems like it applies to Saving Throws, while the other is for skills.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

id anyone else notice the boost to 4e Monks? Being able to make a bonus action attack after you use Ki during your action allows 4e Monks to make an unarmed strike after using one of their spells, which is really nice.
    I did! Good change, I always thought the fact that you couldn't blend martial arts with the elemental disciplines the biggest letdown of the subclass.

9. - Top - End - #39

NinjaGuy

did anyone else notice the boost to 4e Monks? Being able to make a bonus action attack after you use Ki during your action allows 4e Monks to make an unarmed strike after using one of their spells, which is really nice.
    Noticed and appreciated. There's a lot here, some of it might be overtuned, but there are some real winners.

I like Aim for rogue. No longer is the sneaky archer the only way to play a ranged rogue.

Kensei monks got hurt hard here. They should have gotten something to help compensate for the loss of one of their only advantages (actually, they should have gotten something either way). They need the ability to replace a flurry attack with one strike with your kensei weapon or something.

10. - Top - End - #40

Whoa, way more power creep than I would have expected. Pretty much everybody has Aura of Vitality under these rules, and Druids also get Revivify(!) and sort-of Find Familiar(!!).

Valor Bards are happy to get Enlarge/Reduce without spending magical secrets on it, but I'm sad bards still don't get Danse Macabre.

Not sure how I feel about these rules overall. In principle they're fine, I guess, but they will have a drastic impact on class choices. I suspect a game under these rules would feel like a 5.5E more than 5E, but then again that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Edit: weird that Rangers get Aid as a first level spell. It's 2nd level for everybody else. Probably it's just an error.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-11-04 at 05:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Some thoughts:

So now a fighting style for fighter, ranger, and Paladin gives you better unarmed damage than a monk at level 5 or even higher if 2 handed.

More reason to never play a kensei, good, the subclass sucked. Also why would someone ever use that healing unless they were about to rest?

Why would anyone play a melee rogue again?

Most warlock invocations are just a waste of space nobody will take. So I get charged ANOTHER feat tax to play any blade pact warlock not a Hexblade...

Fighter just seemed like, “ok we know everyone just plays a battlemaster so here everyone get a dip”

New book casters all get new spells and can now switch out on level up, fine kind of nice.

Ranger is all good changes.

Rest is meh.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Same. Yet it's been like that even before Fifth Edition.

But now you can finally cast a FireAcid Wall to stop your enemies. I like that it doesn't shed any light, so if it's dark, your enemies run right through a nice acid wash.

The Investiture of Fire & Ice spells are extremely powerful now, imo. They still give you immunity to fire/ice and resistance to ice/fire, but you can deal any damage type you want with the attack options. Especially Investiture of Fire is strong, giving you strong nova abilities with your preferred element:

• You are immune to fire damage and have resistance to cold damage.
    • Any creature that moves within 5 feet of you for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there takes 1d10 fire damage.
    • You can use your action to create a line of fire 15 feet long and 5 feet wide extending from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d8 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
    Fighting elementals like salamanders just got easy: Get immunity to fire, and blast them with cold.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    Some thoughts:

So now a fighting style for fighter, ranger, and Paladin gives you better unarmed damage than a monk at level 5 or even higher if 2 handed.

More reason to never play a kensei, good, the subclass sucked. Also why would someone ever use that healing unless they were about to rest?

Why would anyone play a melee rogue again?

Most warlock invocations are just a waste of space nobody will take. So I get charged ANOTHER feat tax to play any blade pact warlock not a Hexblade...

Fighter just seemed like, “ok we know everyone just plays a battlemaster so here everyone get a dip”

New book casters all get new spells and can now switch out on level up, fine kind of nice.

Ranger is all good changes.

Rest is meh.
    We found it, folks!

We found a UA that Whisper doesn’t totally hate!
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2019-11-04 at 05:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Oh boy. Lots to work through here. It almost reads as the kernel of a revised-5e.

Proficiency/Cantrip/Spell/Maneuver Versatility: Solid QoL improvements. These fall into that 'reasonable DM' category for me, things that are easily already allowed in a home game but less so in, say, AL.

Barbarian Expertise: Lovely, but poor Ranger
    Instinctive Pounce: I'm not really seeing much benefit here?

Extra Bard list spells: Yay! Not sure how necessary it is, but nice
    Magical Inspiration: Spend die to improve spell damage/healing. Bard spells aren't known for their damage output but the healing is nice. Still not sure how necessary it is, I don't recall many complaints about Bards power and healing potential.

Extra Cleric list spells: Clerics need Smites why? I don't think they need them.
    Channel your Power: No. Clerics do not need spell recovery.
    Blessed Strikes: This I approve of, and think all domain weapon-or-cantrip damage bonuses should have been like this (each domain getting their own damage type and die size)

Extra Druid list spells: I like these ones, they appear appropriate.
    Wild Companion: Nice touch. For once it isn't trodding all over the Beastmaster, although i'd set the duration to one hour instead of scaling.

Superior Technique: Get one BM manuever as a FS, that's cool. One d6 per short rest is pretty bad though.
    Extra maneuvers: These are all great options, but they don't solve the problem of a BM taking the ones they really want at level 3 and then having nothing to look forward to at later levels that are better. Imagine being a warlock with invocations that don't get better as you level up. This also applies to the AA.
    Specifically: Silver Tongue and Sudious Eye are great though be careful of stacking bonuses; and Snipe giving Thrown weapons some love is appreciated but I think this is the wrong place to put that love. We are already making rules alterations, just let Thrown weapons count as ammunition for being drawn.

Monk weapons: A lot of words to change not very much. We can have some ranged monk weapons now but still no two handed ones. What is the phobia here?
    Ki-fueled strike: Nice, I approve
    Distant Eye: Again nice, ranged weapon monk love gets a thumbs up from me
    Quickened Healing: Possibly a bit too much, but it's a reasonably high cost so I'll take it.

Blessed Warrior: It could be argued that pallys really don't need the boost, but I kinda saw this coming
    Pally extra spells: Spirit guardians. Is this because cleric took a few smites, some sort of inter-class trade deal? I suppose Pally is the 'aura' class so sure whatever.
    Channel your power: Please no, paladins do not need short-rest smite recovery.

Canny: Woohoo!
    Roving: Woohoo!
    Tireless: Woohoo!
    Favored Foe: Damnit you broke the streak. It's not bad per se, just... lazy.
    Druidic Warrior: A much better fit than Blessed Warrior
    Extra ranger spells: I'm seeing a pattern with the smites, but otherwise good.
    Primal Awareness: A convoluted way of getting the ranger access to more spells. You don't need to do it this way, but at least it's better than the PHB feature.
    Fade Away: Too little, too late. Level 10 is not the place for one-turn, 1/rest invisibility. You know the perfect place to put in a good stealth feature? Deft Explorer.
    Beast of the X: These look pretty good actually, I like them. A bit clunky in some places but I'll grant credit where it's due, the BM using one of these is no longer totally laughed at by the Artificer, Fire Druid, mounted pally and whatever else.

Cunning Action Aim: You're helping yourself as a bonus action. I suppose it's handy and not too much of a power boost.

Sorcerer list extra spells: lol, Flame Blade and Vampiric Touch. But seriously, considering what the other classes got on their lists this is pitiful. C'mon guys, we know you're Wizards of the Coast but at least try to be a little less transparent about it.
    Font of Magic options: Nice little touches, the steep costs keeps them from getting out of hand.
    Metamagic Options: Elemental spell should have been a FoM option really, but again beggars can't be choosers. Oh by the way, you know what would be nice? Metamagic Versatility just like we now have for almost everything else.

Lock list extra spells: Animate Dead, oh my...
    Pact of the Talisman: Because this should have been mentioned before all the invocations that key to it. It's nice actually, basically Guidance but only if you aren't proficient.
    Bond of the Talisman: Nice
    Chain Master's Fury: Nice
    Eldritch Armor: Nice, though perhaps overlaps a little too much with the Mage Armor invoc
    Eldritch Mind: Nice as an alternative to the Resilient feat, possibly too good without a level pre-req
    Far Scribe: Nice
    Gift of the Protectors: Personally I think this function would be better under the Chain Pact
    Investment of the Chain Master: Nice
    Protection of the Talisman: Nice
    Rebuke of the Talisman: Nice
    Where's the Blade pact love? Oh right, all wrapped up in the Hexblade... grumble grumble...

Wizard list extras: Only four, good. Also appreciated that we're skipping the wizard pretty much entirely here.

Blind Fighting: Nice, fits much better here than as a high level Ranger feature
    Interception: This is really strong, that die size should be toned down
    Thrown weapon fighting: We were so close, so close! Barbarians, Rogues and switch-hitters will hate you forever but everyone else is a little happier, except when they want a real fighting style instead of shoring up a deficiency
    Unarmed fighting: Nice

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with these revisions as a whole. There are bits I'm not sure about and bits I really don't like but for the amount there it's in the minority.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

We found it, folks!

I have a deep hatred of power creep is my main problem.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    I have a deep hatred of power creep is my main problem.
    I wouldn't classify that as a problem.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I didn't have time to fully read it so I just skimmed it (or the thread which i didn't read at all), and I don't have time for a full dissertion right now, but in short: I LOVE IT.

@jaappleton: You sure called it!!!
    Last edited by Rukelnikov; 2019-11-04 at 05:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I like Instinctive Pounce, from a a very old UA:

Note that Fast Movement serves three important purposes: getting the barbarian to the front line of a battle quickly, preventing the barbarian’s rage from ending because an enemy is not nearby, and encouraging the barbarian to stay out of heavy armor.
    I think it's a more flavorful implementation than just +10 movement. Although it's lacking armor restriction.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

We found it, folks!

I can finally play a monk with a rapier without having to be a kensei and I can play an unarmed barbarian without multiclassing.

I am very cool with it all.

Now if they would just make a duelist class or subclass.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Oh boy. Lots to work through here. It almost reads as the kernel of a revised-5e.

Proficiency/Cantrip/Spell/Maneuver Versatility: Solid QoL improvements. These fall into that 'reasonable DM' category for me, things that are easily already allowed in a home game but less so in, say, AL.

Barbarian Expertise: Lovely, but poor Ranger
    Instinctive Pounce: I'm not really seeing much benefit here?

Extra Bard list spells: Yay! Not sure how necessary it is, but nice
    Magical Inspiration: Spend die to improve spell damage/healing. Bard spells aren't known for their damage output but the healing is nice. Still not sure how necessary it is, I don't recall many complaints about Bards power and healing potential.

Extra Cleric list spells: Clerics need Smites why? I don't think they need them.
    Channel your Power: No. Clerics do not need spell recovery.
    Blessed Strikes: This I approve of, and think all domain weapon-or-cantrip damage bonuses should have been like this (each domain getting their own damage type and die size)

Extra Druid list spells: I like these ones, they appear appropriate.
    Wild Companion: Nice touch. For once it isn't trodding all over the Beastmaster, although i'd set the duration to one hour instead of scaling.

Superior Technique: Get one BM manuever as a FS, that's cool. One d6 per short rest is pretty bad though.
    Extra maneuvers: These are all great options, but they don't solve the problem of a BM taking the ones they really want at level 3 and then having nothing to look forward to at later levels that are better. Imagine being a warlock with invocations that don't get better as you level up. This also applies to the AA.
    Specifically: Silver Tongue and Sudious Eye are great though be careful of stacking bonuses; and Snipe giving Thrown weapons some love is appreciated but I think this is the wrong place to put that love. We are already making rules alterations, just let Thrown weapons count as ammunition for being drawn.

Monk weapons: A lot of words to change not very much. We can have some ranged monk weapons now but still no two handed ones. What is the phobia here?
    Ki-fueled strike: Nice, I approve
    Distant Eye: Again nice, ranged weapon monk love gets a thumbs up from me
    Quickened Healing: Possibly a bit too much, but it's a reasonably high cost so I'll take it.

Blessed Warrior: It could be argued that pallys really don't need the boost, but I kinda saw this coming
    Pally extra spells: Spirit guardians. Is this because cleric took a few smites, some sort of inter-class trade deal? I suppose Pally is the 'aura' class so sure whatever.
    Channel your power: Please no, paladins do not need short-rest smite recovery.

Canny: Woohoo!
    Roving: Woohoo!
    Tireless: Woohoo!
    Favored Foe: Damnit you broke the streak. It's not bad per se, just... lazy.
    Druidic Warrior: A much better fit than Blessed Warrior
    Extra ranger spells: I'm seeing a pattern with the smites, but otherwise good.
    Primal Awareness: A convoluted way of getting the ranger access to more spells. You don't need to do it this way, but at least it's better than the PHB feature.
    Fade Away: Too little, too late. Level 10 is not the place for one-turn, 1/rest invisibility. You know the perfect place to put in a good stealth feature? Deft Explorer.
    Beast of the X: These look pretty good actually, I like them. A bit clunky in some places but I'll grant credit where it's due, the BM using one of these is no longer totally laughed at by the Artificer, Fire Druid, mounted pally and whatever else.

Cunning Action Aim: You're helping yourself as a bonus action. I suppose it's handy and not too much of a power boost.

Sorcerer list extra spells: lol, Flame Blade and Vampiric Touch. But seriously, considering what the other classes got on their lists this is pitiful. C'mon guys, we know you're Wizards of the Coast but at least try to be a little less transparent about it.
    Font of Magic options: Nice little touches, the steep costs keeps them from getting out of hand.
    Metamagic Options: Elemental spell should have been a FoM option really, but again beggars can't be choosers. Oh by the way, you know what would be nice? Metamagic Versatility just like we now have for almost everything else.

Lock list extra spells: Animate Dead, oh my...
    Pact of the Talisman: Because this should have been mentioned before all the invocations that key to it. It's nice actually, basically Guidance but only if you aren't proficient.
    Bond of the Talisman: Nice
    Chain Master's Fury: Nice
    Eldritch Armor: Nice, though perhaps overlaps a little too much with the Mage Armor invoc
    Eldritch Mind: Nice as an alternative to the Resilient feat, possibly too good without a level pre-req
    Far Scribe: Nice
    Gift of the Protectors: Personally I think this function would be better under the Chain Pact
    Investment of the Chain Master: Nice
    Protection of the Talisman: Nice
    Rebuke of the Talisman: Nice
    Where's the Blade pact love? Oh right, all wrapped up in the Hexblade... grumble grumble...

Wizard list extras: Only four, good. Also appreciated that we're skipping the wizard pretty much entirely here.

Blind Fighting: Nice, fits much better here than as a high level Ranger feature
    Interception: This is really strong, that die size should be toned down
    Thrown weapon fighting: We were so close, so close! Barbarians, Rogues and switch-hitters will hate you forever but everyone else is a little happier, except when they want a real fighting style instead of shoring up a deficiency
    Unarmed fighting: Nice

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with these revisions as a whole. There are bits I'm not sure about and bits I really don't like but for the amount there it's in the minority.
    Good observations, I agree completely.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

More options are always welcome.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree. I've found myself wishing you could simply choose between Divine Strike or Potent Spellcasting instead of being locked in based on subclass, and the option to do both is quite nice. It does close a loophole where Potent Spellcasting increases the damage of Word of Radiance against every target, so YMMV. Most features like Potent Spellcasting that have been written since Word of Radiance, Thunderclap, and such were released have included some kind of clause that only let it apply to one target per turn (see the Celestial warlock's Radiant Soul feature). Personally, I kind of like getting the damage bonus against every target.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Eldritch Armor is great because Mage Armor relies on Dex.

Many Bladelocks want to be STR focused, but between Charisma, Con, Dex for AC.... not many points left to toss into Strength.

This solves that, and grants you armor proficiency, AND has the wonderful bonus because now ALL armor works on you.

Oh, there’s no reason for your Warlock to want Plate Armor, you can’t- OH CAN’T I?! I can indeed!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    I agree. I've found myself wishing you could simply choose between Divine Strike or Potent Spellcasting instead of being locked in based on subclass, and the option to do both is quite nice. It does close a loophole where Potent Spellcasting increases the damage of Word of Radiance against every target, so YMMV. Most features like Potent Spellcasting that have been written since Word of Radiance, Thunderclap, and such were released have included some kind of clause that only let it apply to one target per turn (see the Celestial warlock's Radiant Soul feature). Personally, I kind of like getting the damage bonus against every target.
    What’s very interesting is that awhile back, I asked Jeremy Crawford is there’s anything wrong with swapping Potent Spellcasting and Divine Strike, so long as you also removed any Heavy Armor proficiency on a Domain that was taking Potent Spellcasting.

He said it wouldn’t break anything at all, and normally JC doesn’t respond to those sorta of things, so it seemed to essentially be their rule of thumb.

So for Clerics to get bonus damage in cantrips while retaining heavy armor is pretty interesting to me.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Going over for a second skim, a lot of these changes look like a homebrew hall of fame. Which I suppose isn't that surprising, these small tweaks have been around for ages and WotC just seem to be a bit behind on the release schedule.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

So for Clerics to get bonus damage in cantrips while retaining heavy armor is pretty interesting to me.
    Not only cantrips though, it works with any spell.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Yay, new maneuvers.

Actually, looking at them. I'm a bit amused that in my own homebrew I designed some Fighter subclasses that used the superiority dice system. But to give them a bit more flavor and out of combat usefulness I gave each of them the ability to add superiority dice to skill checks. The noble knight style one could add it to Persuasion and Intimidation. The thug to Deception and Stealth. That sort of thing. It's cool to see that being brought into the fighter class as well.

Also nice seeing Hunter's Mark essentially being made less and less of a spell. Which I'd consider how it should have been implemented originally.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blade Warlocks can now steal armour amazingly quickly from armouries. Huh.

29. - Top - End - #59

Goblin

Going over for a second skim, a lot of these changes look like a homebrew hall of fame. Which I suppose isn't that surprising, these small tweaks have been around for ages and WotC just seem to be a bit behind on the release schedule.
    Do you mean these are essentially just sort of agreed upon most common homebrew solutions to issues? You'd more than likely as not find these at any particular home campaign?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

One thing I'm glad they finally fixed was giving Planar Binding to the warlock. It always irked me that warlocks could summon demons and devils, but couldn't cast Planar Binding. It was an oversight in the original rules, so I'm glad they fixed it.