The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unearthed Arcana 11/4

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Wolf View Post
    I think that it would be d6+d4+Str as grappling requires one hand free then that hand would then be in use.
    Good point.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Has anyone else noticed that you can use the hand crossbow for monks now? It’s an interesting change.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Ranger 1 / Monk is a solid build, with the Hunter’s Mark being non-Concentration for Wis Mod / Long Rest.

Normally you’d have to dip Ranger a bit more to get so many uses of the spell. One level? Not bad, not bad at all.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that you can use the hand crossbow for monks now? It’s an interesting change.
    Is there a practical difference between it and a sling, except for being more expensive and harder to get proficiency in?

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Is there a practical difference between it and a sling, except for being more expensive and harder to get proficiency in?
    Not sure if the rules cover it, but try using a sling indoors, or in a thick forest, or by surprise...
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    a throwing fighting style (as much as I dislike it)
    Why do you dislike the Throwing Weapons fighting style? What does it not address that you would prefer, or how would you do it differently? Just curious, because I'm just excited it exists at all now, haha. Even if unofficially it feels good to have the option to possibly make a thrown weapon fighting person. Sucks it's not baseline though...what about Rogues? :/ Maybe Rogues want to be the Gambit/Judeau archetype of throwing knives...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravinsild View Post
    Why do you dislike the Throwing Weapons fighting style? What does it not address that you would prefer, or how would you do it differently? Just curious, because I'm just excited it exists at all now, haha. Even if unofficially it feels good to have the option to possibly make a thrown weapon fighting person. Sucks it's not baseline though...what about Rogues? :/ Maybe Rogues want to be the Gambit/Judeau archetype of throwing knives...
    Just reword Archery to work with thrown weapons. I simply don’t see the need for a new style strictly for Thrown weapons.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    None really, but a sling wasn’t considered a monk martial arts weapon before. Just a weapon that they have proficiency in. Now they can have it and the sling and do monk damage with them.

You could absolutely have a monk who uses XBE and SS now if you wanted.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-11-04 at 08:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

So this may be a stupid question, but do they add these new spells to the ‘spells known’ lists for classes such as bard or Sorcerer?
    Current Character(s):
    Vincent Longshadow - College of Whispers Half Elf Bard

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Recording my hot takes as I read the thing...

Survival instincts is neat. It's powerful enough to honestly contend with danger sense, but not by any means strictly better.

Pounce is neat. I would probably skip that one as well, though, as a reaction is pricey on a class that really wants to pick up polearm master (at least in my book).

So it looks like all casters just get more spell options? I don't hate it, but at the same time giving every class more spells brings you one step closer to giving every class all the spells, and at that point there's hardly a point to having different classes. Slippery slope, I know, but on a smaller scale this still homogenizes the casters.

If the "enhancement" ones are actually just extra text on features, no cost, then some of this stuff is probably capable of getting out of hand. Magical inspiration is probably an example of something being okay, but it feels like it should be a subclass feature like the combat inspiration of a valor bard... In any case, it seems hard to break outside of munchkiny "I roll once and multiply by X" interpretations of magic missile.

Spell swapping on learned casters is probably something that should have been built in in the first place

Harness divine power seems inherently balanced, as channel options often feel like they have like a 1st or 2nd level spell's power in the first place. Being able to pick a domain with less universally useful channels and still get something out of the resource is cool.

Blessed strikes is situationally worse for the divine strike clerics, but being able to apply to any spell rather than just cantrips makes me think this is almost a strict upgrade in the long run. That said, I don't think 4 damage a turn is going to usurp the "sorcerer king"

As a huge fan of find familiar and a not huge fan of wild shape, wild companion is great in my book.

Looking at the fighting style options, they're all pretty cool. Unarmed fighter seems perhaps dangerous when paired with a monk dip, as you can get d8 melee's 3-4 times a turn, but barring that I think this is an okay answer to the long desired "brawler" option. There's a maneuver choice that plays very well with it, and we may finally have a good grappler build, and as a cherry on top a throwing weapon style that works.

I guess I can tear out kensai from my Xanathar's guide.

Ki fuelled strike is interesting, I guess it can just be seen as an extension of martial arts? A 4e or shadow monk can cast a spell and then hit someone, but otherwise until you hit 18th level it doesn't do much.

Distant eye is meh, I can take a feat for that or just run fast enough for that to not matter

quickened healing is probably never worth it, for half the cost you can just dodge on a bonus action rather than gaining like 2hp

Don't care too much for blessed warrior, cantrips are usually bad and I'd rather make my attacks better

Spirit guardians on paladin list is straight gas, but I wonder how many DM's would allow it for too long. I guess it's only half as good as it can be on a cleric at any given time, but it's still strong on your tank.

*replaces natural exp- * DEAL. I'LL TAKE IT.

*replaces favored ene- * DEAL.

Fixing ranger companions is cool. A little extra health is nice, though it's now only a bit more tanky than a wizard with a 12 in con, so it's still shaky.

Cunning action Aim is probably a strong dip target for certain builds. Note that it neither has to be a weapon attack nor a ranged attack, it can be anything, just at the cost of sitting still, which is what a lot of classes end up doing in combat.

Hey, things to do with sorcery points! I'll take it. The metamagic that swaps elements is pretty cool, if nothing else on a thematic level.

Shapechange on warlocks is potentially neat.

I like chain master's fury, largely for the fact that a lot of the time it's going to be throwing your familiar under the bus, which is a pretty funny thing for a warlock to do anyway. Bonus hot take, investment of the chain master with this makes sprite a very strong option, as you can have it attack every turn to try to OHKO something with your increased save DC, on your bonus action.

Eldritch armor means strength bladelock is easier to pull off (or on, I guess)

Not gonna lie, this is the first UA in quite a while that seems mostly great. New stuff means there's some power creep for sure, but it looks like it's mostly balanced in some level of opportunity cost- even most of the enhancement features are in an either-or situation to existing stuff, like you're not just getting extra invocations for free, and a lot of this is on resources or things that are undertuned to begin with. 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    And Clerics now get Wall of Light.... but still no Sunbeam. Damnit.
    Aw, c'mon, man!
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

11. - Top - End - #101

Goblin

Just reword Archery to work with thrown weapons. I simply don’t see the need for a new style strictly for Thrown weapons.
    This is a valid point! Overall I'm kind of confused on how it all works anyway. If we are two-weapon fighting throwing weapons does that work? Dual-Wielding axes and throwing them one after the other?

Also I've come across a "problem"...

The Favored Foe feature doesn't do anything else aside from what it does, whereas Favored Enemy gains additional features at level 6 and 14, IIRC. I've heard a criticism of Ranger is it's the only class with dead levels, or at least dead levels are an issue for it? This further exacerbates the issue as you get everything at level 1 and then nothing at all once again for level 6 and 14. Has anyone else noticed this or is bothered by this?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

....Wait a minute.

Did Clerics really not have Power Word Heal before this?!

EDIT: The most underrated thing about this might be the spells added to the Druid list. For Moon Druids, Fire Shield is excellent. For casters, spells like Thunder Step and Cone of Cold are solid options the standard list was terribly lacking. And Protection From Evil & Good! Excellent spell.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2019-11-04 at 08:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Goblin

I think one of my favorite changes is Revivify to Druids at level 3. I know some people said it's OP or something, but I genuinely just love support roles/healer roles, I loved 4e, I love WOW and I love dedicated resto druids from WoW, so for me this is a welcome welcome change.

I KNOW in 5e in combat healing is something of a waste, more damage = better, etc, etc....but resto druid is <3 and it feels awesome to be able to go full support IF you choose to.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

The Favored Foe feature doesn't do anything else aside from what it does, whereas Favored Enemy gains additional features at level 6 and 14, IIRC. I've heard a criticism of Ranger is it's the only class with dead levels, or at least dead levels are an issue for it? This further exacerbates the issue as you get everything at level 1 and then nothing at all once again for level 6 and 14. Has anyone else noticed this or is bothered by this?
    Yep, lazy for more than one reason.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Holy crap... I am in love with this unearthed Arcana. I squee'd. They need to make this into some future official print!

Only three things I'm hesitant on:

Eldritch armor, heavy armor prof is hard to get!
    Sorcerer's getting advantage on checks far too easily
    Warlocks with Animate dead...

But overall I love this.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Also I've come across a "problem"...

I could have sworn their other new feature got bumps at levels 6 and 14.

17. - Top - End - #107

Why even pick Kensei now? The main reason anyone plays them is to be a monk swordfighter, and if you can do that without Kensei, then all the other features are pretty underpowered because all of Kensei hinges on having a weapon that does more damage than fists before level 17. If those features make it into the current campaign I'm in, I'll have to do a rebuild...
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ranger's new companion can take an action using their bonus action, that is great! Also elementals are arguably as cool or cooler then animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
    Though someone correct me if I am wrong, if any monk (potentially) has the ability to select marital weapons, whats the point of Kensei?
    The hell was the point of Kensei before this?
    Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    I thought as I read that part that yeah, it makes Kensei obsolete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    More reason to never play a kensei, good, the subclass sucked. Also why would someone ever use that healing unless they were about to rest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    It doesn't entirely negate the kensei, but considering how it is already an unpopular subclass...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    Why even pick Kensei now? The main reason anyone plays them is to be a monk swordfighter, and if you can do that without Kensei, then all the other features are pretty underpowered because all of Kensei hinges on having a weapon that does more damage than fists before level 17. If those features make it into the current campaign I'm in, I'll have to do a rebuild...
    Kensei should have been a Fighter subclass, change my mind.

The heal isn't great as a combat option nor is it an efficient use of Ki, but it's a fantastic way to save on Hit Die and reduce reliance on other party members for healing over the course of a full adventuring day. Like Second Wind.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A Battlemaster Fighter with the new Unarmed Fighting Style and Restraining Strike Maneuver seem like they would combine into a gnarly grappler.

Make a d6 or d8+str mod attack, make a free grapple with your maneuver (adding the maneuver die to the grapple attempt), restrain them on a success, then proceed to wail on the restrained enemy with 1d6+1d4+Str. And don't forget them being restrained gives you advantage as well (and unlike prone, your ranged allies get it too!).

Heck, to toss salt in the wound, follow up with a Commander's Strike to let your Rogue Sneak Attack with advantage, because why not.
    Last edited by Blood of Gaea; 2019-11-04 at 09:42 PM.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    There are ways to gain additional weapon proficiencies. Even if feats and multiclassing are forbidden, you get to use Martial Arts as a longsword-wielding elf or a warhammer-wielding dwarf.

It doesn't entirely negate the kensei, but considering how it is already an unpopular subclass...
    Which locks u into races u may not want or a very crappy feat. If you were already looking at those races then great! If not...

I mean ya it's not my favorite subclass either but, but deff being dramatic and /or misreading the UA to say it makes kensei obsolete imo

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am glad to see WOTC caught up to my table's homebrews. I can see this turning into a Player's Handbook 2, like when they tried to fix 3.5 with PHB2 before 4e 5e launched.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Well...color me impressed. Alternative Class Features? On my 5e? Took 'em a while...

Since everybody's weighing on them, how about I do?
    Barbarian: Don't get too much; a shame because Path of the Berserker needs some love. (Like - replace the extra attack for an increased critical hit chance while raging?) Strangely enough, they get a source of Expertise, even though they're not a class that really depends on skills, and the skills they get are somewhat weird: Animal Instinct (for those who loved the Beastmaster movies), Medicine, Perception (the one I do agree on) and Survival. Oh, and Nature. On the other hand, Instinctive Pounce is cool but replaces Fast Movement, which is just as cool. I prefer the mobility.
    Verdict: Wha?

Bard: Props for giving them more spells. Love the addition of Mass Healing Word, but it's so weird that they didn't give 'em the Bless spell. I know that has a too definitive divine flavor, but Bards with Bless rock it real good. Color Spray as an early spell and eventually Mirror Image and Heroes' Feast were sorely missed from 3e, and I for one am glad to see them back. Also: Mind Spike. As for the actual class features...Spell Versatility is pretty great, particularly for Bards. Magical Inspiration, on the other hand, should have remained a trait for a subclass, because otherwise they should have added the damage to weapon attacks as well, and that's the Valor Bard thing.
    Verdict: Yay for new spells, but what were they thinking about Magical Inspiration?

Cleric: I don't care about the smiting spells (don't use them; War Clerics will love them, though, as well as Tempest Clerics), but...are my eyes deceiving me? Aura of Vitality!?!?!??!? Dear gods, the Cleric's last excuse for not being a healbot is already lost. (On the other hand; I don't mind that Paladins don't have it as an exclusive spell, since it was already hard to see that spell in play anyways...) Their recovery mechanic with the Channel Divinity Harness Divine Power isn't that amazing, but at least it gives you more uses to your CD by recovering spells like Bless, Guiding Bolt or Healing Word/Cure Wounds, which is great. As for Blessed Strikes...at first I got a knee-jerk reaction, but I see how it works. For example: if you as a Life Cleric tend to use a lot of cantrips (say, Sacred Flame), it's a good way to increase the damage you deal every turn; on the other hand, if you wade in battle, it's a direct nerf (because you don't get the 2d8 from Divine Strike by 14th level). It's nice, though, that you can choose it as an option, rather than force the change. Also: Wall of Light! Yay!
    Verdict: "Come with me if you want to be healed." Also: Wall of Light, yay!

Druid: Wild Companion expands, rather than replaces, Wild Shape? Are we going with the "bear riding a bear while summoning a bear cavalry" thing again? (Granted; it doesn't grant you the ability to actually get a bear companion, but it does feel like it; you can be a cat, riding a cat, while having a horde of cats surrounding you, which can be pretty fun in any case). Also: Druids also get Aura of Vitality? Oh boy, it's a great day for Circle of Shepherd Druids everywhere! Enlarge/Reduce is great, Revivify is...a thing?, and we get more Cold damage spells, yay! (Also: Fire Shield).
    Verdict: Winter is coming. Also, the Cat Cavalry has arrived.

Fighter Battlemaster: Yep, WotC realized that Battlemaster needs some love. Personally, I like the options - Ambush, Silver Tongue and Studious Eye let you use your superiority dice out of combat, while Brace is a much superior Opportunity Attack (sure, it doesn't play well with Sentinel, but you get extra damage instead). Superior Technique seems to be tailor-made for Champions, though: get it as your first or second Fighting Style, get Martial Adept as one of your feats, and enjoy as you get two uses of up to three maneuvers while keeping your Improved Critical and 1/2 proficiency to Initiative checks. PDK still sucks. Oh well.
    Verdict: So WotC gave up and figured the Battlemaster was the Warlord, no?

Monk: Arguably the one I believe got buffed the worst. I mean - sure, everyone's worrying about Monk Weapons and how they make Kensei pointless, but do consider that their weapons become magical AND get an enhancement bonus, plus it's still the best way to do Zen Archery (particularly now that they have Distant Eye. Quickened Healing is for when you aren't an Open Hand Monk, and since it's an action, it can be part of your use of Patient Defense or Step of the Wind to reposition, so I don't see it as something bad; that said, they could have added the Monk's Wis modifier as extra healing. Ki-Fueled Strike is arguably the best boon they got, as they can use their ki powers and still contribute with attacks from their best weapons without problem. Heck: Ki-Fueled Strike always ensures you're spamming Stunning Strike, since it can be used as part of a melee weapon attack (and your unarmed strikes count as one), which you can always do with your bonus action. Should mingle well with Fangs of the Fire Snake, since the extended reach also applies to the bonus action Unarmed Strike (also with Water Whip)
    Verdict: Until 5th level, a Fighter punches better than you, and until 11th level, the Fighter still punches as well as you.

Paladin: D-do my eyes deceive me not? WARDING BOND AS A PALADIN SPELL!!?!??!?!?!?!?

[CENTER]GOD IS IN HIS HEAVEN!

ALL IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD!!

PRAISE THE SUN! PRAISE THE SUN!/CENTER]

...ahem, you may figure out how excited I am to hear this. I always considered Warding Bond as a must-have Paladin spell, and after pestering WotC for a long time to add it, they did! But then...they also added Spirit Guardians!? Holy mother of all that's Good and Sacred, the Paladin is now best tank ever! (Spirit Guardians to keep everyone close, then some form of lockdown with Sentinel, Polearm Master and Tunnel Fighter, and eventually even War Caster for some advantage-on-concentration spells goodness... Yep; the Paladin just became a black hole of lockdown.) Feel kinda bad that the unique spells of the Crown Paladin got spread to everyone, but the Crown Paladin still has its stuff (the CD options are pretty dope, IMO; it's just the other class features that are kinda meh.) Also: Paladins get cantrips now!?!?!? Sure, it's by replacing your Fighting Style, which can be a pain (no more Tunnel Fighting, no more Duelist), but Guidance as a cantrip means the Paladin can do tons of stuff now. (And don't get me on with Mark of Sentinel + Guidance: with decent Dex, the Paladin will pretty much ALWAYS go first.) I don't feel so miffed about the new option for Channel Divinity, which is the same for the Cleric, as getting a free smite per short rest is basically what you do when you multiclass into Warlock, and it's for minimum damage anyways. Actually, I'd dare say the Paladin got the best buffs. Oh, and wait...Dawn and Flame Strike? Boi, Paladins got blasting spells now!
    Verdict: Hallelujah! Hosanna in the heavens, for the Warriors of Light are now the most badass ever!

Ranger: ...Wow. Ranger got some love. Still, there's a few things that could get some work. For starters, Favored Foe is devoid of inspiration, since it's just Hunter's Mark for free. Personally, I would have cut the middleman and just say that they could spend a bonus action to study their opponent and declare it their quarry, allowing them to deal an extra amount of damage for up to 1 minute. Stalker's Prey (from the Monster Slayer conclave) already does that, and it's not broken in any case (even though it's 1/turn). Bit of a shame that you have to wait until 15th level to get Hunter's Mark to apply to your Beast Companion as well. Canny is painful: you get Expertise on ONE skill, and you can only get this option ONCE, unlike the Barbarian which gets Expertise on five skills (more than the Bard OR Rogue, which are the de-facto skill monkey classes; come on, just give the Ranger Expertise already!) Roving and Tireless are fun, though, because you get climbing and swimming skills, and you get a lot more tolerance to exhaustion (note that you no longer need to sleep, since the level of exhaustion you'd gain is lost with a short rest now). The new spells that Rangers get, on the other hand...wow, they make little sense! Warding Bond? I absolutely love it for Paladins, but Rangers aren't tanks! And Tongues? I mean...sure, Entangle is pretty fun as a trap spell, and adding some Smite spells to a class that could use some more melee love is great, and Enhance Ability is awesome as a support spell for a class that's expected to use a lot of skills, and Death Ward is pretty chilling for a Ranger to have because it prevents death, but...I don't see a Ranger deserving Greater Restoration. Aid, sure, but no Lesser Restoration. YMMV on Revivify. But wait! There's more! Primal Awareness is a pretty awesome change to Primeval Awareness, where instead of getting some supernatural senses, you get a ton of free utility spells that are actually useful, such as Detect Magic (you know where spell effects originate upon!), Speak with Animals (now you know what animals want!), Beast Sense (and see what animals see! And hear what animals hear! And can you SMEEEEEELLL...what the animal...is sniffing.), Locate Creature (no evil will escape your sight) and eventually Commune with Nature (for when you need to ask nature to tell you where you need to be railroaded).
    And finally, the benefit to the Beastmaster: the Beasts of Air and Earth. While I would have loved to see more love for the other beasts, it's still a good way to beef them up. Good that they learned their lesson with the Wildfire Druid (because that Wildfire Spirit was a great way to deal with a companion creature; if you notice it closely, each beast has essentially the same stats as the Wildfire Spirit), and rekindles the Ranger as a Primal character (remember 4e? The love/hate relationship with it? Oh wait, it was the hate relationship. Good times...) Beasts of Earth aren't as beefy (I would have expected higher AC, but they don't get as much as the Beast of Air) or deal that much damage (unless they Charge), which is kind of a shame because why wouldn't you choose a Beast of Air? I mean, between better AC, 1 extra damage and Flyby, and considering that most of the flying companions you get are pretty weak, it's actually a much better version than any of them. I could see a bit more work to differentiate them, or instead, use these "beasts" as a "template" for existing animals, so you can get a spiffy hawk or a badass panther.
    Verdict: So, does that mean we don't have to use the Revised Ranger anymore? Right? Right!?

Rogue: What, only one thing? Wait, you can get Sneak Attack for free now!? Oh boy.
    Verdict: Simple, easy and to the point.

Sorcerer: Don't see why people say that Sorcerers didn't get that much love. Sure, they still lack Evard's Black Tentacles, or Armor of Agathys, or Arms of Hadar, or Hunger of Hadar, or Wall of Force, or Tasha's Hideous Laughter, or Dawn, or...well, you get the idea, but at least they got Primal Savagery! (1d10 acid damage counts for something, right?) And Flesh to Stone, and Fire Shield, and Vampiric Touch! ...Alright, so they didn't get as much love as others with their spells, but that's basically because Sorcerers haven't been as defined as other classes do. (And personally, the Wizard knows a lot of spells that should have been Sorcerer spells. Where's Wings of Flurry, WotC!?) As for uses of Sorcery Points, Empowering Reserves is fun (did you know dispel checks, initiative checks and Telekinesis use ability checks?), and Elemental Spell is downright hilarious. (Storm Sphere with the element the enemy is weakest? Investiture spells? Love the idea.) Also, they get some of that spontaneous spellcaster love with the ability to replace a spell every long rest. Sure, it's not "change your entire spell selection every day", but the thought is what counts.
    Verdict: Still the red-headed stepchild, but at least they didn't get sucker-punched as the Monk.

Warlock: Now, HERE'S where I feel a class got a lot of love. A new pact boon (Pact of the Talisman), which is basically a free Guidance magic item (since you can give it to any one you feel like it). Not only that, all Pacts got some love: Pact of the Tome now has two Truename apps (one full of Death Pacts and the other one basically acting like WhatsApp) PLUS essentially free War Caster (though you can ignore it and get War Caster anyways), Pact of the Chain now has a...familiar that can fight and is slightly better at what it does? and Pact of the Blade gains...free enchanted armor. Meaning they can wear something like Armor of Invulnerability if they want to. Spells they got are...meh, though it's a shame that you can't change your Mystic Arcana; if there was a class that could have enjoyed the ability to switch certain spells, the Warlock was first in line.
    Verdict: I'mma get an iBook of Shadows and give it the SendChat and Anti-Death Note apps.

Wizard: Just four spells!? That said, they get basically all needed divination spells, so it's more fun for those few (...heh...) Diviners out there.
    Verdict: I was a Diviner before it was cool.

Overall: I like the direction. Most of these options basically expand what you can do with the classes, and serve as general power boosts. The Monk got some nice buffs but got the shaft with the new Fighting Style options, and the Sorcerer still remains the red-headed stepchild, but there's a ton of improvements all around. I'm especially happy with the Paladin, who got a sweet boost with the new spells, and with the option to get cantrips instead of a Fighting Style, you can play a pretty different kind of blessed warrior. It definitely does feel like an option to renew the classes for an eventual refresh of this edition (which probably means a new book reprint? 5.5? 5e Essentials? Advanced D&D 5e?), but it's great that we see it beforehand, and can place our opinions on it.

Spoiler: Fighting Style Options
    Show
    Blind Fight is pretty simple, but underwhelming: you don't get disadvantage if you can't see the creature, but you still need to know where it is, and a DM can easily stop you from doing anything. Interception is fun; it's basically the same power as Deflect Missiles, and essentially what you get when you use the Parry ability as a DM for some of your monsters/NPCs, but for allies, and instead of trying to negate the attack, it works when the ally is hit, which is much more efficient; I love this Fighting Style. Thrown Weapon Fighting gives some love to a much-neglected class, and the damage boost is fun, though I would have loved a range extension instead (because 30 ft. with a Javelin as your short range won't cut it when you're fighting against a Dragon 120 ft. away)

Which...leads to Unarmed Fighting. IMO, they jumped the board on this one. Fighters, Paladins and Rangers now get to deal more damage than a Monk when unarmed, even though they don't get bonus action attacks or Flurry of Blows...except as follows. By 11th level, a Monk deals 1d8 with its unarmed strikes; a Fighter gets three attacks overall with Extra Attack, a Paladin gets Improved Divine Smite and a Ranger already had Hunter's Mark like 9 levels ago. The Monk's slight boost to damage won't compare to the Paladin or Ranger, but it does compare to the Fighter. By 20th level, the Monk gets 1d10 damage with unarmed strikes, but the Fighter gets 4 attacks and has its bonus action free (plus it doesn't depend on Ki to activate Flurry of Blows). And that's without going with subclasses. That said - the main range of levels where everybody plays is roughly between 3rd and 11th level, so the feature will remain relevant always. It doesn't fit either with the options of certain races, which allow you to deal 1d4 with your unarmed strikes by means of having claws or something like that; they also get the shaft. Heck - the Dragonborn gets the shaft because the Dragon Hide feat becomes entirely worthless (you can get a better armor, and your unarmed strikes are better, by choosing the right class).

Spoiler: Changes I'd make
    Show
    I'd nerf the Barbarian's Survival Instincts to work like Canny. In exchange, I'd give the Path of the Berserker a revamp to their Frenzy so that, when they fly into a Rage, they can make a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20, so that they could use their Brutal Critical a LOT more. Since there's already ways to get bonus attacks (equipping a second weapon, Polearm Master), this feature would redeem the Path of the Berserker from its detractors.

Bards could get the ability to spend 2 uses of Bardic Inspiration to grant an Inspiration die to a number of creatures of your choice equal to your Charisma modifier at the same time. That could be its 5th level ability, in addition to recharging Bardic Inspiration uses as a short rest.

Clerics should get Healing Spirit. That way, you no longer need to multiclass into Druid, unless you really love the Light Cleric/Shepherd Druid interaction.

Druid's Wild Companion would replace Wild Shape, instead of enhance it. You get Find Familiar for free, except you can choose a beast creature from any beast of CR 1/4 or lower without the ability to fly or swim (1/2 CR and no ability to fly by 4th level, and eventually up to beasts of CR 1 by 8th level). That's it. Circle of the Moon and Circle of Wildfire Druids would need to keep Wild Shape nonetheless, but the other creatures don't (and actually, Wild Companion would work wonders with Circle of the Shepherd, as it'd count as a summoned beast for purposes of their subclass features).

Monks of the Way of the Four Elements should get more new stuff. Also; get more discipline powers. Four ain't enough.

Rangers would get Hunter's Quarry instead: as a bonus action, you designate a creature as your quarry. When you make your first successful attack against your quarry during your turn, you deal an extra 1d8 points of damage. At 6th level and again at 14th level, you can choose one creature type (or two races of humanoids) to count as your Favored Enemies; against them, you ALWAYS get Hunter's Quarry bonuses. Your Hunter's Quarry damage increases by 1d8 at those levels. That way, by 14th level, you'd be dealing 3d8 once per turn against an opponent. Hunter's Quarry would mingle well with Colossus Strike, Dread Ambusher and to an extent Planar Warrior and Stalker's Prey; however, it'd have a sweet synergy with Beastmasters because their beast companions would also get the Hunter's Quarry extra damage, so Beastmasters would end up dealing 3d8 extra damage with their attacks AND their beast's attacks. Also, I'd give them Expertise at 6th and 10th level, and lower Vanish to 10th level, so that Hiding as a bonus action makes sense (alternatively, why not lower it to 6th level and make it even MORE relevant?)

Sorcerers should get a wider repertoire of spells, including some Wizard-exclusive spells like Evard's Black Tentacles and Warlock-exclusive spells like Hunger of Hadar.

Warlocks would get the ability to replace their Mystic Arcana as part of a long rest, but only one, and only after an hour of meditaiton with their patron. Likewise, they'd get their patron-granted spells for free, rather than having to choose them as part of their spell selection. And...finally, make it so that they get one extra spell per short rest, so they start with 2 spells, and end up with 5 spells.

Spoiler: Tweaked Capstones
    Show
    Bards, Monks and Sorcerers should get an ability that restores all uses of their Bardic Inspiration, Ki or Sorcery Points immediately, and if they lack more than half of their resource, for 1 minute they recover 1 use each level. This would be their "boss" power.

Rangers would add their Wisdom to attack and damage rolls against their quarry (as well as their favored enemies). Simple, easy, brutal.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

24. - Top - End - #114

So Ranger 1 is now a Frenzy Barbarian's must-have. Did not see that coming.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    None really, but a sling wasn’t considered a monk martial arts weapon before. Just a weapon that they have proficiency in. Now they can have it and the sling and do monk damage with them.

You could absolutely have a monk who uses XBE and SS now if you wanted.
    If they have a way to get prof in xbow. Gotta be prof first.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've noticed Pact of the Talisman stacks with Jack of All Trades.
    That's more or less full proficiency with skills, depending on level.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Everyone is saying the monk's Quickened Healing is useless, but wouldn't it actually be a straight buff to a monk's staying power, as right before a short rest you can burn any excess ki you have to heal up? Getting an extra 2d6 healing or whatever on a short rest for a resource you're about to fully replenish anyway doesn't seem like a bad deal.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I really like the paladin changes. Spirit guardians is maybe an unneeded buff, but it feels on theme. Cantrip access is quite welcome to help enhance the magical feel of the class.

Harness Divine Power is especially welcome. An over-reliance on daily resources is a chronic frustration of the class, one compounded whenever your party takes a short rest sooner than expected and tour one notable short rest feature, channel divinity, goes to waste because you hadn't used it. This mitigates that by letting you convert an unused CD into a first level spell slot so at least it doesn't go to waste.

It isn't a significant power boost because most oaths gave CDs which are better than a single first level spell slot anyway, so in general you would have been better off using the CD normally, this just provides a weak-but-not-meaningless alternative for if the right opportunity never presented itself.

It's mostly just a great quality of life improvement. Personally, I still would prefer a completely revised system replacing divine smite, improved divine smite, and all the smite spells with a short rest smite pool plus learned abilities that let you burn daily spell slots to enhance those basic smites with extra damage or rider effects, but that's more of a rewrite than this ua seemed to be aiming for, and other classes needed the in depth attention more.
    Last edited by Malisteen; 2019-11-05 at 02:38 PM.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

This is surprisingly good. While I'm not a big fan of 5e, I do play it, and I don't see anything in here I don't like, and a lot that looks like it's really useful.

....Wait a minute.

Did Clerics really not have Power Word Heal before this?!
    I know, right?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Frankly, I'm not too worried about monks becoming obsolete in the wake of unarmed fighting style. Dealing X-Billion damage was never their niche in the first place.

Also, take note that if you start grappling a creature, you no longer have two hands free, so I guess if you're going for a grappler build keep that in mind.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*