The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Still Seeking 1; The Fjarrstrand Sagas (Fantasy Vikings) [BoL]

The eagle-headed prow of longship cut through the dense mists as the uncommonly calm coastal waters gently slapped against its fire-blackened gunwales. Grim men quietly dipped their oars into the frothing waters without a single unintended groan, slam or thud to alert their unseen enemies. Only their gray and blonde beards were visible from under their weathered woolen cloaks. The icy grip of the seas was deadly.

Furtively hugging the coast just beyond visual recognition, the hardy Austrmen relied on their firsthand knowledge of the rugged and unpredictable coastline of Fjarrstrand and its tangle of jagged shoals. The rhythmic surge of the sea against the perilous rocks gave them an accurate enough sounding. Their small craft was not intended for the open sea, but they dared no closer to the coast, knowing that savage Gamlegard sentries lay hid with their longbows. Should the ever-present brume dissipate, as only occurs during the height of summer, the enemy clans’ steadings would be clearly visible behind their palisaded walls upon the forested headland frowning over rocky sea sprayed feet.

Recruiting one more player for a new Viking-inspired play by post using Chris Perkin’s The Fjarrstrand Sagas, a hack of the simple Barbarians of Lemuria. Placeholders for MrStereo1 and Tibbius, who are planning to run wizened warrior skalds and magicians.

I’m looking for a total of three (open to four) committed players who can post roughly daily. The tone will be decidedly creepy and fatalistic. The 13th Warrior can serve as a good study of the vibe I’m going for. You can find the hack here: https://scruffygrognard.wordpress.co...and-revisited/

Here’s a loose intended setup: The PCs belong to the same folk (and their allies). When they [ return home/visit an allied outpost ] after [ exploring/questing/pillaging/trading abroad ] they discover [ inciting incident containing the prescribed and aforementioned ingredients ].

I'm thinking all PCs jointly own a longship of some sort. There must be sailing!

Post interest and your character concept.
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-11-08 at 11:25 AM.
    Running: [BoL] Iron and Ice: the Fjarrstrand Sagas. IC. OOC. Recruitment.
    Playing: [E&E/Mythic GME] The Time of Two. IC. OOC. Wiki.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Seeking 3; The Fjarrstrand Sagas [BoL]

Good to see this up!

I think I'm going to opt for an Elderly Warrior-Magician 2. He's the relative of some petty noble who travelled widely in his youth to study the secrets of Magic and to face the mystic foes of his clan in his prime which gives him Noble-Sailor 0. Now a white-haired old man he's being called on again, probably through family obligations to his grand-nephew or similar, to face down whatever nasty prompts the adventure. He'll have the Learned, Savant and Literate Boons and the Elderly Flaw so he should be able to put out some deep lore and useful magic tricks, but if he's pushed too hard and starts taking physical penalty die he'll need help from the others.
    Avatar made by the artist Chimmy.

Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.

3. - Top - End - #3

Beholder

Very good! Let me know if you want help putting together the particulars. I’d like to see a life path story, even if it’s just a sentence or two based on each career. In the story, feel encouraged to mention NPCs or factions that may figure into the story.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

The setting material is rich dense and thick. Instead of combing through it to select a "perfect" origin for my character, I'm going to suggest that you assign all of the characters a common origin that we then can read up on.

My guy is not elderly but middle-aged: A Warrior-2, Sailor-0, Skald-1, Seer-1 who has lately developed unusual insight into the workings of the Three. Probably a nephew of MrStereo's magician, who took a different path. I'll work out Boons and Flaws soon, I'm thinking Contacts (Warrior), Contacts (Sailor), and an Enemy (not directly related to whatever problem is the center of the plot) would be interesting.

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

So what sort of group are we looking at? Austrmen? Brjotaband? Fraevolk? Or Gamlegard? The Norns are common among the former group.

It’s possible we may not pick up a third player. Are you both fine playing just with the two of you?

6. - Top - End - #6

Thorgrim the Wisened is today a modestly honored member of the Far Seeing Crows, an order of Magicians and Seers who serve as the mystic guardians of the Astremen realm. It is their duty to guard the secrets of human magic, and to seek out the secrets of their civilized rivals and savagest foes. In his prime Thorgrim was one of their bravest. Where most Crows stand as councillors, advisers and teachers to powerful and wealthy men Thorgrim would gladly take the field and ship to go cut down man or beast who made war on his Jarl's subjects. As he aged, and his former mentor passed, Thorgrim took up that most typical role at last. Now with a white beard he was enjoying a peaceful dotage in the halls of a thankful lord while his own students took over his duties, until a haggard messenger off a speedy ship brought harsh news and called upon an old debt.

You see Thogrim's talents and calling may not have even been discovered if not for the kindness of his father's lord, a Heimbeger that Thorgrim's family served as loyal Huskarls. When word of a young Thorgrim's quick wit with lore and saga reached the lord, as a boon to a servant with proven heroics in battle, the lord offered the boy a place learning alongside his own sons. Impressing the weak Seer who served as advisor to the Lord's family Thogrim found his way to the Jarl's halls by the coin, ship and vouching of his patron. This gift of a talented and maleable young man earned the lord some favor with the order and his Jarl, but it remained an obligation on Thorgrim's mind whenever he returned home or fought alongside the man in battle.

Now the whitebeard must take up sword and shield once again to sail back to the frosty borg of his childhood and make right the terror that has descended there.

Attributes

Appeal 0
    Agility 1
    Strength 1
    Mind 3

Combat Abilities

Initiative 0
    Melee 2
    Ranged 0
    Defense 2

Lifeblood 11

Hero Points 5

Arcane Pool 12

Origins: Austrmen

Careers

Warrior 2
    Magician 2
    Sailor 0
    Noble 0

Boons

Learned: When recalling a fact from your areas of specialty you gain a bonus die.
    Literate: You can read and write and choose a career with literacy as a requirement.
    Savant: You may add +1 to your Mind Attribute. Your maximum Mind is 6 rather than 5 and your maximum starting Mind is 4 rather than 3.

Flaws

Elderly: Your character is not as young as he used to be. If he has not had a decent amount of rest each day, he will begin to slow and tire. Take a penalty die for any physical action if pushed too hard without rest. Other opportunities for good roleplaying will undoubtedly come out of this Flaw.
    Poor Hearing: You take a penalty die when making a check to perceive something using your hearing.

Languages

Gotrtung (Native)
    Alfsöngr
    Braegalic
    Runes

Gear

Light Armor: 1 Protection and +1 AP to Spellcasting
    Light Shield: +1 Defense
    Helmet: +1 Protection, -1 Initiative
    Sword: d6, Sundering
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-11-08 at 08:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by roryb View Post
    Very good! Let me know if you want help putting together the particulars. I’d like to see a life path story, even if it’s just a sentence or two based on each career. In the story, feel encouraged to mention NPCs or factions that may figure into the story.
    Sure, I've put up the basics in the above post. Thorgrim probably knows the current lord of the hold the adventure takes place in and was either their childhood friend or their father's friend, so any threat or tragedy involving them could hit hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    The setting material is rich dense and thick. Instead of combing through it to select a "perfect" origin for my character, I'm going to suggest that you assign all of the characters a common origin that we then can read up on.

My guy is not elderly but middle-aged: A Warrior-2, Sailor-0, Skald-1, Seer-1 who has lately developed unusual insight into the workings of the Three. Probably a nephew of MrStereo's magician, who took a different path. I'll work out Boons and Flaws soon, I'm thinking Contacts (Warrior), Contacts (Sailor), and an Enemy (not directly related to whatever problem is the center of the plot) would be interesting.
    That makes sense and works well for me. It's always good to have pre-established relationships between PCs imho.

So what sort of group are we looking at? Austrmen? Brjotaband? Fraevolk? Or Gamlegard? The Norns are common among the former group.

It’s possible we may not pick up a third player. Are you both fine playing just with the two of you?
    I have no strong opinion, but Austrmen seem the most classically Viking so I'm happy with them if no-one makes the case for anything else.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Big Guthlaf is a burly and jovial man whose thick-thewed frame bespeaks his past as a warrior, while his generally calm expression and distant gaze hint at his present professions of skald and seer.

He is middle-aged, a nephew of Thorgrim who followed his uncle south from Grimstad to Meresborg to a quiet hall in Eyflod. Along the way he picked up skills first as a warrior, then a viking sailor. He made many friends as a warrior, his greed counterbalanced by a compulsion to bolster his reputation by gifting what he seized. Now most of his friends from those days have become thegns or huskarls with good reputations of their own, somewhat influential men and women whom he could count on for aid in troubled times.

As he aged he began to realize that raiding is a young man's pastime, and he looked around for something safer to do. Realizing how much he loved telling sea-stories, and how good at it he was, he put his natural appeal and intellect to use in studying and reciting ancient human and alfar ballads and histories. Though he is not literate, he has a continually improving command of the oral tradition. He is a journeyman skald who has made many friends through his studies. His skald friends likewise are comers, not yet arrived at mastery of their craft but skilled enough to have won the attention of minor lords.

Attributes

Appeal 1
    Agility 0
    Strength 2
    Mind 1

Combat Abilities

Initiative 0
    Melee 2
    Ranged 0
    Defense 2

Careers

Warrior 2
    Sailor 0
    Skald 1
    Seer 1

Lifeblood 15

Hero Points 5

Fate Points 1

Wealth 1

Origins: Austrmen

Boons

Contacts (Warrior)
    Contacts (Skald)
    Hard-to-Kill

Flaws

Enemy: In his younger years, Guthlaf was contentious about his rights and privileges. On one occasion, he fought a shipmate over the distribution of spoils from an expedition. The shipmate, now a thegn, resents the outcome of that combat, which left a nasty scar.
    Greed: Guthlaf loves money. He loves beautiful things. He covets desperately, and he's willing to do wrong things to get what he covets.
    (Generous: Guthlaf compulsively gifts to others the same things that he coveted a few months earlier. He is in a continual cycle of acquisition and divestiture. This wins him friends and consternation.)

Languages

Gotrtung (Native)
    Alfsöngr

Gear

Medium Armor: 2 Protection
    Light Shield: +1 Defense
    Helmet: +1 Protection, -1 Initiative
    Axe: d6, Sundering
    Beautiful golden chain necklace
    Golden serpent armband with two rubies for eyes
    Thick and comfy wolf-skin cloak
    Brightly colored clothing
    Quality harp
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-11-08 at 09:35 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

Looks good. Great backstories here!

@MrStereo1 — looks like Thorgrim needs another flaw to balance his three boons, and bump his Hero Points up to 5.

Edit: looks like you’re figuring in his helmet penalty to his initiative score? I’d leave that separated out so it’s clear where his 4 combat points went.

Looking more likely we’ll just have the two of you. Are you okay with that? Perhaps we still give it a day, but I don’t think we’ll get more bites.
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-11-08 at 11:54 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Looks good. Great backstories here!

@MrStereo1 — looks like Thorgrim needs another flaw to balance his three boons, and bump his Hero Points up to 5.

Edit: looks like you’re figuring in his helmet penalty to his initiative score? I’d leave that separated out so it’s clear where his 4 combat points went.
    I was just mistaken on both points. I thought I could pay for the third Boon with a Hero Point and I didn't lower initiative deliberately. I'll pick a new flaw and raise Melee to 2.

Looking more likely we’ll just have the two of you. Are you okay with that? Perhaps we still give it a day, but I don’t think we’ll get more bites.
    I could go with it, but I wonder about doing something with secondary PCs. Have either of you two guys played the 40krpg Only War? I haven't done much myself but there's a Comrade system where each player has a couple of minor NPCs they run alongside their characters as squad mates who can basically die as a way to show how dangerous and gorey the setting is. Something similar with a couple of Toughs each (if you both like the idea) could help bulk out the party and give us a way to play up the Horror side of things.

11. - Top - End - #11

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stereo1 View Post
    I was just mistaken on both points. I thought I could pay for the third Boon with a Hero Point and I didn't lower initiative deliberately. I'll pick a new flaw and raise Melee to 2.
    I think you’re right! I forgot about that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stereo1 View Post
    I could go with it, but I wonder about doing something with secondary PCs. Have either of you two guys played the 40krpg Only War? I haven't done much myself but there's a Comrade system where each player has a couple of minor NPCs they run alongside their characters as squad mates who can basically die as a way to show how dangerous and gorey the setting is. Something similar with a couple of Toughs each (if you both like the idea) could help bulk out the party and give us a way to play up the Horror side of things.
    Absolutely! One advancement option is having followers. If you want one named tough each and a handful of rabble (enough to, say, fit out a small longship), that would serve the purpose well.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Still Seeking 1; The Fjarrstrand Sagas (Fantasy Vikings) [BoL]

Meat Shields were a definite intended purpose of the Warrior contacts boon.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Meat Shields were a definite intended purpose of the Warrior contacts boon.
    Yep! There it is. I should’ve looked more closely.

Then I’ll plan to launch play threads late tonight or tomorrow.

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

Threads are up!

In Character
    Out of Character

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

If we do want more players, we might try cross-posting to unseenservant.us. It's a pure gaming forum, mostly for old grognards. Occasionally players there can be tempted to try out a game in this venue.

16. - Top - End - #16

I think you’re right! I forgot about that rule.

Absolutely! One advancement option is having followers. If you want one named tough each and a handful of rabble (enough to, say, fit out a small longship), that would serve the purpose well.
    Cool, I'll remove Bad Hearing and just pay the Hero Point then.

I'll post ideas for the Tough in the OOC.

If we do want more players, we might try cross-posting to unseenservant.us. It's a pure gaming forum, mostly for old grognards. Occasionally players there can be tempted to try out a game in this venue.
    That's a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have a pool of players I could vouch for or I'd have started PMing some users by now.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-11-09 at 07:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Beholder

I'll have to take a look at that sight. I'm always happy to encounter an undiscovered gaming site!