The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Battlemage CYOA - Rules-Light System. Fight back against the Apolocypse!

So, recently I came across this Battlemage CYOA. With the CYOA basically standing for a rules-light system that people use as a framework for a more fully fleshed Roleplay. Rather than it being a CYOA where all of your results are already decided, and itís more a challenge of navigating your way through the maze, rather than actually roleplaying an adventurer.

Still, this particular CYOA is particularly elaborate and has a very strong setting. Basically, the world had been overrun by monsters known as ĎDetritusí that come from another world, and who corrupt the world and land around them when they do so. Our characters are Cylorian Battlemages, individuals who carry the essence of the Old Gods among them, and thus not only have a stronger affinity for their Battlemage Mark than most but learn at a faster rate than most.

Now, the best part about this CYOA, is that without any actual numbers behind it, is it immensely flexible, and aspects of the system can be easily modified to fit a DMís preferences. Donít like the various guilds in the setting? Remove them or change them as you please. Not happy with the Quests being offered, or the Quest rewards? Change them as you please! And of course, the Companion System really encourages a Solo or Duo Campaign, but what if you want to have a party? Then just throw it out entirely, and donít reward Blood Coins... or do, and beyond allowing the party members to enter into a Blood Pact with each other, they could have other uses that you have decided on and implemented in this game.

Really, the only parts of the system which I would argue canít be changed is the spells and the Battlemage Marks, otherwise, you can modify and change it as much as you want... or run it as close to the system as you want, it is entirely up to you.

So, is anyone interested in trying this system out?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Battlemage CYOA - Rules-Light System. Fight back against the Apolocypse!

I absolutely love CYOA games, and I've been looking for some new systems to try out. I'll give it a shot.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Battlemage CYOA - Rules-Light System. Fight back against the Apolocypse!

As a player or DM?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Player. I'm no good at GMing.

5. - Top - End - #5

No surprise there then... Tons of players, few DMs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, sorry bro. It's better than no interest at all, right?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd be interested in GMing this one. Why don't you two write up some characters? I'll look more deeply into the system in the morning.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

8. - Top - End - #8

Well, this is a very pleasant surprise!

... Do you think you could do two private RPs tho? I kinda want to do this solo, but I don't want others to miss the chance to enjoy this system either.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd be perfectly willing to do this as a solo game. I find that pacing is better that way anyway. My only concern would be that I'm not a terrible huge fan of playing allied NPC's, but I'll live.

I've read over things a few times. I have an idea or two for novice quests, and am ready to go when you've made your characters.

For character creation, use this as a reference:

Name:
    Race:
    Mark:
    Mark Attributes:
    (Two of these come with your mark, three you choose for yourself.)
    Armor: (20 point buy)
    Spells & Etches: (8 point buy.)
    Companion: (Optional, 5 point buy.)
    Description, Backstory, and Personality: (Include what guild, or lack thereof, of battlemage you will be in. Three paragraphs should suffice, or less, if it is very well-written.)
    Since this is a numberless, more-or-less freeform system, I expect quality descriptions and roleplaying as we go along. We can play on the forum, but I'd prefer Discord text.
    Last edited by T-Mick; 2019-11-14 at 09:37 AM.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

All right, let's do this thing! (you forgot the primal etching)

Name: Varus Alurian
    Race: Human
    Mark: Slayer
    Mark Attributes: Primary/Strength, Secondary/Endurance, Tertiary/Vitality,Agility,Clarity
    Primal Etch: Knight
    Weaponry: Knight sword, titan blade, great hammer, square shield

Spells & Etches
    Force [1]
    Momentum [1]
    Poise [1]
    Seismic Sense [1]

Fire [1]
    Dragoon Armor [1]
    Flame Weapon [1]
    Flame Skates [1]

Companion: Kivi "Kiwi" Valtonen
    Description: Varus had always been a star athlete in Elysium, the capitol of Ziona by virtue of being the only city still standing. There he grew up hearing tales of the battlemages who fought to secure the North against Detritus incursions. When Varus' magical aptitude came to light, he jumped at the chance to join the Third Generation of battlemage. He found that he was quite skilled in melee combat, and used his talents in Force and Fire magic to augment his physical capabilities.

Varus is of average height and appearance, aside from his prominent musculature, with mousey brown hair, pale skin, and hazel eyes. He acts confident in public, self assured to the point of being borderline cocky, but that is just a facade to cover his severe anxiety and self-doubt. In truth he is quiet and contemplative, but he feels that as a battlemage he needs to be a larger-than-life symbol of strength for the masses.

Out of the many guilds and groups within the Battlemage Corps, none matched Varus as well as the Nohsh Howlers. They were instrumental in taking down the colossi that plagued the North, and were exactly the symbol of strength that he felt he needed to become. He might not be ready to fight a walking castle just yet, but as a Cylorian Battlemage, he'll get there quickly.

11. - Top - End - #11

Sorry for taking a little while, but here we go. Not involving the backstory because I prefer to shape that as I RP, and personality? Well you'll find that out rather soon.

Arcantos The Storyteller
    Race - Stroc
    Mark - Forerunner
    Tertiary Attributes - Vitality, Agility, Charisma
    Armour - Battlemage
    Weapons & Shields - Custom Weapon - Swordcane (Similar to Rapier), Wand, and Magitech Instrument - Flute. (Costs 12 OC coins). Shield Catalyst. Dagger. 2 Coins Leftover.
    Guild - Order of the Cobalt Muse
    Companions - Lea Laur and Tanja Lindhold

Spells and Etches
    Acoustic
    Tier 1 - Piercing Notes, Song of Perseverance, In Rivievo
    Tier 2 - Medley
    Etches - Bocca Chiusa
    Lighting
    Etches - Blink.