New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Changing a phone's battery.

I have a phone that's a few years old, and it mostly works okay aside from the battery wearing out. I've been looking at repair kits on amazon vs. asking a repair center to fix things, and it's about $20 for the amazon kit vs. $50 if I want someone else to do it.

This isn't something I have experience with, so I'm wondering. How hard would a repair probably be (the youtube videos make it look easy, but youtube videos always do), and is there likely to be any benefit to having a third party place do it aside from the fact that I'm super boned if I try it myself and screw up?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Changing a phone's battery.

The benefit is that you don't have to do it yourself. Also a professional is less likely to want to sell you a battery that's a chinese factory reject and make your phone "blow up".

Going to matter a lot of what kind fo phone it is I guess. I'm using so old phones that the battery was a totally separate thing. You just had to pop the shell open, and in fact often had to do so to switcha sim card.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm used to phones with replaceable batteries too, but going forwards that's likely to be a more complicated problem. Thus, DIY vs. third party.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Also a professional is less likely to want to sell you a battery that's a chinese factory reject and make your phone "blow up".
    See, this in particular was one of the things I wanted to know. If the phone is old enough (I have a nexus 6, for example), I don't know if third party fixit shops would even have proper batteries or if they'd just order off amazon. And if it's them ordering off of amazon vs. me ordering off of amazon, that'll be part of my consideration.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    See, this in particular was one of the things I wanted to know. If the phone is old enough (I have a nexus 6, for example), I don't know if third party fixit shops would even have proper batteries or if they'd just order off amazon. And if it's them ordering off of amazon vs. me ordering off of amazon, that'll be part of my consideration.
    Well usually they'd go to a supplier and get a better deal than consumers get, even on Amazon (maybe even same one selling on Amazon).

Really I think the question is do you want to be able to blame someone else if it goes badly? And is that worth the 20 ?