New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1185 - The Discussion Thread

I think I'll subscribe to the "Not-Thad as vessel" theory; after all, someone's already coming to plane shift him out, and the IFCC's scrying means they probably know.

Although the question is what/who Not-Thad will be a vessel for. My money's on Nale's soul.
    Last edited by Vessyra; 2019-11-07 at 02:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, it's obviously a darker and edgier version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

GW

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel1 View Post
    I think I'll subscribe to the "Not-Thad as vessel" theory; after all, someone's already coming to plane shift him out, and the IFCC's scrying means they probably know.

Although the question is what/who Not-Thad will be a vessel for. My money's on Nale's soul.
    I don't get why the IFCC would even care about returning Nale to the mortal world, if it's a choice between people to do their bidding. They have access to beyond-epic-level Evil-aligned deceased souls, as demonstrated in the Soul Splice. The only real reason would be if they specifically needed Nale himself for some reason, and I can't see what would make him that critical to their aims.

Personally, I think they need a vessel for their own consciousnesses to physically manifest on the Material Plane. They had to be summoned by Vaarsuvius to make the Soul Splice deal, implied it took a fair bit of effort to get their consciousnesses there, and seemed keen not to stay long. If they could find a physically powerful mortal body to inhabit with their own unholy presence(s), that would certainly be a major asset for their plot to destabilize the material world of mortals.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    It was as thanks to D.One for getting info from his friends about where in Brasília there might be a specific type of soda (I live in Belo Horizonte; he'd send it to me and I'd pay for it all, if it works). You can read the details in the thread on the previous comic, but basically, by my own initiative, I decided to change the avatar so he's not mistaken for me, given my slightly controversial reputation.
    Oh right. I did that once or twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Maybe if they knew it was a restaurant with an Evil chef? (Tarquie's Takeout?)
    Belkar’s Bakery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, not at all, I'm not Evil.
    That sounds like something someone evil would say!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    That's assuming they're still there. Do recall that the crew were on the verge of mutiny even before this, with their ship being damaged and deprived of its main weaponry. They could easily have decided to cut their losses and head home by now.
    They mutined already. But then they realized their current captain was right and let her took charge again.

There's also the possibility that the frost giants may have taken advantage of the dwarven disarray to pursue the ship to try and exact revenge, or otherwise Thrym commanding them to in some vain hope of impressing Hel.
    The Giant’s forced in the region are destroyed. Thrym was explicitly out ignored ways to help. And the dwarves are not in disarray at all, only a few people died and they already have elite warriors roaming the mountains looking for trees to fell.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    "Hello, sir, I am here on behalf of-"

"Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow."

*Pop*

*Pop*

"-the IFCC, a consortium of demons that-"

*Pop*

*Pop*

"-wishes to make you an offer-"

*Pop*

*Pop*

"-to get you out of this predicament."

"Annnnd I'm out of teleports. Ah well. I'll continue the pitch tomorrow."
    *Chuckles*
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel1 View Post
    Well if Sabine is using her vacation days, that means she probably doesn't know she's getting someone explicitly for the IFCC. Which means it's probably not a direct recruitment.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

I don't get why the IFCC would even care about returning Nale to the mortal world,
    Agree. Nale's a loose cannon. I will place my two copper piece wager on someone else, heck anyone else. Even Redcloak's niece
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

I don't get why the IFCC would even care about returning Nale to the mortal world, if it's a choice between people to do their bidding. They have access to beyond-epic-level Evil-aligned deceased souls, as demonstrated in the Soul Splice. The only real reason would be if they specifically needed Nale himself for some reason, and I can't see what would make him that critical to their aims.

Personally, I think they need a vessel for their own consciousnesses to physically manifest on the Material Plane. They had to be summoned by Vaarsuvius to make the Soul Splice deal, implied it took a fair bit of effort to get their consciousnesses there, and seemed keen not to stay long. If they could find a physically powerful mortal body to inhabit with their own unholy presence(s), that would certainly be a major asset for their plot to destabilize the material world of mortals.
    Hmmm, yes that makes more sense. I had been figuring that Sabine would care about Nale returning, but she wouldn't really get a vote in the IFCC's plans. I guess I just need to listen to the "Nale is no more" signature more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, it's obviously a darker and edgier version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

GW

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    I suspect Veldrina would have been on board (yes yes it's a KS reward character, but I think it would have been *in* character for her to over-eagerly want to help),
    KS reward character?

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I notice that again, Kudzu is smiling when (and only when) he's facing Durkon. Nice touch!
    Noticed that too, Kudzu is already completely fond of his father despite knowing him for only a few hours. Cool.

That's assuming they're still there. Do recall that the crew were on the verge of mutiny even before this, with their ship being damaged and deprived of its main weaponry. They could easily have decided to cut their losses and head home by now.
    OTOH, the dwarves may have helped them recover some weaponry. IDK.
    How long the events in Firmaments actually took in total?

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Hey, wait, they never got around to retrieving that one weird celestial dwarf that got Plane Shifted, did they?
    I'm still not sure of his class? Soulknife? Psychic Warrior?
    His speech bubbles were weird and he was apparently powerful enough to one-strike an elemental.
    Could he have the means to come back on his own?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-11-07 at 03:39 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    KS reward character?
    Veldrina was meant to be a walk-in cameo of a kickstarter donor’s character as a reward for the amount of money pledged. But the Giant realized the character would fit in the role of the Western Pantheon représentative and the backer agreed to have the cameo delayed so that their character would get a whole minor role.

OTOH, the dwarves may have helped them recover some weaponry. IDK.
    How long the events in Firmaments actually took in total?
    The order arrived after midnight and left before noon.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Agree. Nale's a loose cannon. I will place my two copper piece wager on someone else, heck anyone else. Even Redcloak's niece
    So maybe not nale, but what about not not nale?

So... maybe... Thog?
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-11-07 at 04:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Barbarian in the Playground

At least Roy returned the mug. So many people just walk off with the things thinking they are some kind of keepsake or souvenir. Cheap tourists. *grumblegrumblegrumble*
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember to always return your mugs. Don't want dwarven bounty hunters chasing after you.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Remember to always return your mugs. Don't want dwarven bounty hunters chasing after you.
    Are they anything like Dwarf Assassins?

Because if they are, then it ends with the hotel being blown up and hundreds of aphasia strips.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

roy returns the mug that he succesfully gotten outside with and doesn't keep it for his collection, well that officially settles it, he's objectively a better person then I am

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    roy returns the mug that he succesfully gotten outside with and doesn't keep it for his collection, well that officially settles it, he's objectively a better person then I am
    Weirdly, brewmaster Blackore (name in 1096) actually seems less happy when Roy returns it than when Roy was walking off with it. Just surprised, I guess?
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2019-11-07 at 05:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Another task for the dwarves is the rescuing of Not-Thad. A human would die from dehydration after a few days of this bouncing fall, if nothing else, but I don't know about his species. I won't fault Rich if he is never mentioned again.
    Is Thad Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's niece's fiancé? If we don't ever see him again, then does that mean the blue speech bubble and the wavery voice print will never be explained? I'm still wondering what that was all about.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by UtahBrian View Post
    Is Thad Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's niece's fiancé? If we don't ever see him again, then does that mean the blue speech bubble and the wavery voice print will never be explained? I'm still wondering what that was all about.
    No, Thad was Durkon’s cousin’s brother-in-law’s niece’s ex-male romantic partner, Not-Thad is Durkon’s cousin’s brother-in-law’s niece’s fiancé, but luckily we were already talking about him so yeah, yes. I highly doubt it will be explained in the online comic (though I’d guess we’d see something about it in a bonus strip).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UtahBrian View Post
    Is Thad Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's niece's fiancé?
    No, Thad is Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's niece's ex. Durkon's cousin's brother-in-law's niece's fiancé is not Thad.
    If we don't ever see him again, then does that mean the blue speech bubble and the wavery voice print will never be explained? I'm still wondering what that was all about.
    It’s a joke about the fact that a given campaign world should have other high-level characters than the main party who also have lives as full of weirdness and excitement as the main party, I think.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I love how she somehow thought she was going to avoid the mother in law. It doesn't matter whether you eventually decide to marry Durkin or not, the moment you revealed to that woman you bore a grandchild, you were family like it or not. And this woman takes her family seriously.

19. - Top - End - #109

GreataxeFighterGirl

Surprisingly I think Durkon and Hilgya make pretty amicable exes.

Also, Roy. Truly Lawful Good -- and also, imagining a drunk him trying to fight Xykon would be amazing. And pointless.

20. - Top - End - #110

BlueWizardGirl

Sigdi’s going to be good for Hilgya. I like their interactions.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

My theory on who the vessel will be: Trigak

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Sigdi’s going to be good for Hilgya. I like their interactions.
    I think both will be good to each other, really. Now, whether or not Sigdi was intrusive in basically announcing she'd become roomies is another matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It’s a joke about the fact that a given campaign world should have other high-level characters than the main party who also have lives as full of weirdness and excitement as the main party, I think.
    I always thought it was a joke about the absurd size of Durkon’s family, that not only is Durkon’s cousin’s brother-in-law’s niece’s fiancé here, but it’s this strange outsider or something.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

24. - Top - End - #114

"See all of you soon."

Oh God they're all going to die aren't they? Shouldn't have said that Durkon.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfishyfishy View Post
    "See all of you soon."

Oh God they're all going to die aren't they? Shouldn't have said that Durkon.
    No, in fact I'll bet 10 gold pieces that when we come back to the dwarven lands (in what, ten years?) every single character, except Curly, who was left behind will still be alive. And since it will be forever until this comes to past no one will remember if it turns out I'm wrong
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

No, in fact I'll bet 10 gold pieces that when we come back to the dwarven lands (in what, ten years?) every single character, except Curly, who was left behind will still be alive.
    Hey can I quote this so everyone will remember if it turns out you're wrong?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hey can I quote this so everyone will remember if it turns out you're wrong?
    Of course, I partially put the white text in to ensure everyone will laugh at me if I'm wrong.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Aah this was so good :)
    Now Sigdi will get to live in a nice home while spending time with her grandson and making sure Hilgya doesn't run off with him
    And Hilgya will get a nice mother figure (albeit an annoying one), since her own mother died and her male relatives treated her badly
    And she'll probably end up attending the weekly dinner parties too, which should be a good influence on her, as an example of good healthy friendships

On another note, does anyone else think that Durkon called Kudzu "li'l one" not just because he wanted to use a term of endearment, but also because he dislikes Kudzu's actual name? Just me?

Also:
    (DURKON)
    Gotta go, gotta get tha job done
    Gotta save our nation*, gotta return ta my son!

:)

*ETA: or "all tha nations"

ETA: Obligatory 'is this the last strip?!' It's not, but will it be the last strip in which we see the Order? I think we'll get one more, with the six of them interacting/conversing on the airship... and maybe also greeting Bandana first...

Also, I like that the Giant didn't make sure to put every single member of the Order in the bigger panels. It really makes it feel like a big room with people scattered about, and the focus in this page is on Durkon's dwarven family and friends, anyway.
    Last edited by nolongeralurker; 2019-11-07 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Accidental incorrect tense, and missed word

29. - Top - End - #119

BlueWizardGirl

I wouldn’t be surprised if the next strip was the last one, given that the Order’s getting on the ship to leave now. That also lines up well with the stated length of the book (it would end up having a similar number of preface/title/bonus/etc strips to other OOTS books), and with being about a month away from the preliminary shipping date for the books.

There hasn’t been a big WHAM! moment at the end like there were for the past two books (revealing Riftworld in DSTP, and revealing that Vampire Durkon wasn’t actually Durkon and was working for Hel in BRITF). But I think that could be because the big surprise moment for Book 6 came earlier, with learning that there had been thousands of past worlds and that Redcloak and the Dark One were the only chance of containing the Snarl.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2019-11-07 at 08:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Hilgya and Sigdi, UltraChaotic vs MegaLawful. I kind of want to see that.
    (da DAT da-da da DAAAAA...)
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.