New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1185 - The Discussion Thread

Only on this forum would someone perform a detailed analysis on the functionality of an arch.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    Only on this forum would someone perform a detailed analysis on the functionality of an arch.
    Nonsense. I'm sure there's at least one architecture forum out there.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    But yes, I do like when people get the reference.
    Hihi *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    You must be new to the internet...

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

It's good to get back the adventures of the Order of the Stick, fearlessly led by Roy Green-Around-The-Gills. Seriously, lesser restoration is a level 2 spell.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    You must be new to the internet...
    I just came out from under my rock.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Steveio View Post
    That's pretty good. Full points there.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's impressive how H&D moved from "You did hurt me, I hurt you, now we're even" to "Let's stay civil for our son" (with a hint of vitriolic friends when they insulted each other god) to... well, she will remain in his hometown, will live with his mom, he asks her to save his mom if needed, she already is annoyed by her mom in law, with him basically agreeing that his mom is a bit... invasive.

This is practically being a wife and a husband, just without the papers and the sex.

Fun fact: some years ago I read a research about the reasons that make couple break or create tensions; ideological, political or religious differences (as here might be being LG vs CN) were the last of the reasons, the heavy ones were discussions about the management of the house and its finances, jealousy, and petty things like snoring, different tastes in food, music, shows -with fights over the tv remote control- and so on.
    So if Durkon returns back in one piece and manages to stop to snore (afair Belkar said D snores quite a lot), he might have still a chance with H.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    So if Durkon returns back in one piece and manages to stop to snore (afair Belkar said D snores quite a lot), he might have still a chance with H.
    I don't think either of them wants that and I don't think either of them should pursue that. Civility and slightly vitriolic friendship is as good as it gets for them, basically because the way each operates goes beyond mere ideology. Then again, Durkon seems to be learning to operate in a saner fashion...
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    I don't think either of them should pursue that.
    Don't you tell Hilgya what to do.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Don't you tell Hilgya what to do.
    I wasn't and I promise not to if she ever shows up on this thread.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-11-08 at 09:49 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

11. - Top - End - #161

Better hope she doesn't scry on you either.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Better hope she doesn't scry on you either.
    Not really worried. I never proposed.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think either of them wants that and I don't think either of them should pursue that. Civility and slightly vitriolic friendship is as good as it gets for them, basically because the way each operates goes beyond mere ideology. Then again, Durkon seems to be learning to operate in a saner fashion...
    You know you go and change your profile picture so no one mistakes anyone else with you, and now I mistake you for someone else.

EDIT: This wasn’t at all a response to the specific post besides the fact that this was (mostly) something I agreed with and this was the first time I saw you post since the profile picture change and thought it was some random poster and then realized it was actually you.
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-11-08 at 10:12 PM.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If we're talking about ice cream in general instead of banana-split-adjacent options, sure.
    My new favorite store-bought ice cream is this:

https://cool.haus/product/ice-cream-...-cookie-crumb/

Although my new favorite local ice cream is this:

https://www.sweetcowicecream.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    That's assuming they're still there. Do recall that the crew were on the verge of mutiny even before this, with their ship being damaged and deprived of its main weaponry. They could easily have decided to cut their losses and head home by now.

There's also the possibility that the frost giants may have taken advantage of the dwarven disarray to pursue the ship to try and exact revenge, or otherwise Thrym commanding them to in some vain hope of impressing Hel. I also find it interesting how we saw nothing of the Mechane (which should have been hovering over Firmament) when Durkon's new hammer broke through to the outside world.
    I don't think any of that is likely. The "mutiny" was pretty well quelled when Bandana assured the crew would get paid; only Andi continued to be a problem. And I'm not even sure how many frost giants were left, but it doesn't make sense for Thrym to send them now, even if they could get to wherever the Order is going.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    And, as has been pointed out, books tend to end with some sort of cliffhanger. The recent strip featuring the IFCC was plenty ominous, but didn't seem whammy enough for a real sequel hook. That said, it probably won't be any sort of "this seemingly good character is actually evil, OMG" since that would be a retread of the ending of the previous book. It might be Team Evil finding the last Gate, it might be a reveal of the IFCC's "vessel", who knows -- whatever it is, it will only lengthen the odds for the Order.
    Now a cliffhanger, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the next strip was the last one, given that the Order’s getting on the ship to leave now. That also lines up well with the stated length of the book (it would end up having a similar number of preface/title/bonus/etc strips to other OOTS books), and with being about a month away from the preliminary shipping date for the books.

There hasn’t been a big WHAM! moment at the end like there were for the past two books (revealing Riftworld in DSTP, and revealing that Vampire Durkon wasn’t actually Durkon and was working for Hel in BRITF). But I think that could be because the big surprise moment for Book 6 came earlier, with learning that there had been thousands of past worlds and that Redcloak and the Dark One were the only chance of containing the Snarl.
    I think we might get two or even three strips, but we are very close-- and it could easily be done in a double or triple strip. I just think we're gonna get some kind of Good Guys roundup on the airship; depending on how much needs to be said, that could take more than one strip. And I'm pretty confident we'll get some kind of cut to the North Pole before the end. I think the cliffhanger is likely to be Team Evil finding the Gate, but I could be wrong.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    My new favorite store-bought ice cream is this:

https://cool.haus/product/ice-cream-...-cookie-crumb/

Although my new favorite local ice cream is this:

https://www.sweetcowicecream.com/
    You guys have such interesting ice creams and sodas.

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    You know you go and change your profile picture so no one mistakes anyone else with you, and now I mistake you for someone else.

EDIT: This wasn’t at all a response to the specific post besides the fact that this was (mostly) something I agreed with and this was the first time I saw you post since the profile picture change and thought it was some random poster and then realized it was actually you.
    Well, not specifically anyone. This is, after all, a generic-ish avatar. That said, D.One said he'd check for a specific soda I wanted to taste again in Brasília (I live in Belo Horizonte) and maybe send me some. So, as a nice gesture towards him, I decided to change my avatar so he'd not be mistaken for me due to my slightly controversial views.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-11-08 at 11:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingbooks42 View Post
    Has anybody else noticed that in the last panel it looks a bit as if Roy is floating because of the angle of his foot?
    That's because Roy is having a Root Beer Float.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrrhic Gades View Post
    That's because Roy is having a Root Beer Float.
    Hmm... Summer's on. I should consider making some coke shakes here...

18. - Top - End - #168
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Looks like Hilgya got stuck with an "Intrusive Mother-in-Law, level: EPIC". Serves her good.
    It will be a good bonding opportunity for them. I am sure Durkon will come back to some surprises!
    Last edited by Wowlock; 2019-11-08 at 11:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

HalflingRogueGuy

Was this the last strip? :-)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Was this the last strip? :-)
    Extremely unlikely. The last strip of a given book tends to have some kind of whammy cliffhanger and/or a warm or witty send-off, followed by a "The Order of the Stick will return on [DATE]." text-on-black panel at the end.

We will all know when it's the last strip of the book.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think we might get two or even three strips, but we are very close-- and it could easily be done in a double or triple strip. I just think we're gonna get some kind of Good Guys roundup on the airship; depending on how much needs to be said, that could take more than one strip.
    Yes, I'm expecting a cut to the Order on the ship just after Durkon told them what Thor told Minrah and him, and the various reactions of the members and the discussions/speculations that springs from that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #172

Yeah, it was a joke, mostly.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't completely ignore the chances.

After all H was very interested in D before that he sent her back home.
    And D seemed to be very pleased by H (it is debatable if he heard that she was a cleric of Loki, anyway at the time he had very few ranks in "knowledge religion", so maybe he heard that and only now he realizes that staying with her would be impossible).

They did break up mostly because their different views on "a dwarf right to happiness", but D's view on that point has changed. Not so much to reach H's level, but enough to mirror H in a debate with Sigdi.

Said that, yeah, the chances are slim: we have already two couples in the comic (E+Ha, Roy+C), and maybe we will reach three, if it is true the theory that Minrah is lesbian (in that case I bet on Minrah+Bandana).
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2019-11-09 at 06:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    You can call that version of Roy "Roy Greenhat" ... I just had that thought as I looked at the final panel today.
    I like it!

My only trouble is that we know that Roy's true name is Maurice, as revealed by Durkon to Durkula/Yeerkon/Jerkon/Nokrud/Durkoff/Darkon. Maurice Greenhat has a really nice ring to it, and would be a fun forum in-joke. I mean.

R. Maurice Greenhat, the polite, intelligent, incredibly inebriated adventurer!

24. - Top - End - #174

Hmm... Summer's on. I should consider making some coke shakes here...
    When the shakes start happening, you need to Plane Shift out.

25. - Top - End - #175

Hmm... Summer's on.
    Not gonna lie, I'm totally envious of that. I need a second home in the southern hemisphere for the winter. Peter Jackson tells me New Zealand is nice.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Not gonna lie, I'm totally envious of that. I need a second home in the southern hemisphere for the winter. Peter Jackson tells me New Zealand is nice.
    I feel like I'm being cooked in steam, Peelee, so you might want to temper your wishes there.

27. - Top - End - #177

I feel like I'm being cooked in steam, Peelee, so you might want to temper your wishes there.
    Eh, Brazil's a big place. This looks delightful, for instance.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Eh, Brazil's a big place. This looks delightful, for instance.
    Rio is just some 300 miles from here. It's currently mild there, if that temperature is accurate, but it sometimes gets to 104 F in the summer.

29. - Top - End - #179

Rio is just some 300 miles from here. It's currently mild there, if that temperature is accurate, but it sometimes gets to 104 F in the summer.
    Oh, I figured that one was a longshot. I debated checking a city in the north closer to the equator, but why?

And in any event, that doesn't sound too far off from Alabama.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-09 at 01:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's probably normal that I'm more reassured that Sigdri is watching over Kudzu than the fact that Hilgya is.

No worries, Durkon. Ma is gonna watch over those two like a Beholder. Probably some extra-eye variant kind.