The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 91 to 106 of 106
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The Horde and Lightmoon are two cliques at fantasy highschool and Double hangs out with both and thinks the Horde is pretentious with their goth style and Lightmoon is tacky with how prep and sparkly it is, but every time they say anything on the level of "oh I saw Catra do X today" where X is literally anything it sets Adora off on some zanny scheme because even though they broke up and are Over Each Other she has no idea how to cope with being alone. And likewise for Catra. It's just too juicy to pass up, and that's not even getting into the fact that both side's mutual friend, the autistic girl (Double has barely had time to catch their name, too busy playing the mischievous fae/Loki to them all) who always brings mini-cupcakes for lunch might be dating the weird scrawny nerd who eats alone in the computer class.
    Sidenote when I was watching Season 4 I was getting such Goddess energy from Double Trouble, the energy that is Eris, Greek Goddess of Strife and Discord. Such energy fills me with delight even if it is not my energy per say, for we need this energy in the universe or else the universe would be the cosmos, and through strife and discord universe becomes cosmos and cosmos becomes universe.

    So you do you Double Trouble, you be the they who throws that apple of discord 🍏 that has written on it "for the fairest" , you be you DT and watch the glorious chaos and strife.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Sidenote when I was watching Season 4 I was getting such Goddess energy from Double Trouble, the energy that is Eris, Greek Goddess of Strife and Discord. Such energy fills me with delight even if it is not my energy per say, for we need this energy in the universe or else the universe would be the cosmos, and through strife and discord universe becomes cosmos and cosmos becomes universe.

    So you do you Double Trouble, you be the they who throws that apple of discord 🍏 that has written on it "for the fairest" , you be you DT and watch the glorious chaos and strife.
    That would end with them just kinda lounging around eating from like, a basket of apples with "for the fairest" on them.


    Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That would end with them just kinda lounging around eating from like, a basket of apples with "for the fairest" on them.
    True that is "A" likely scenario. If that happens I hope Double Trouble will pully an Envy from Fullmetal Brotherhood, and give that Episode 53 speech saying "What, you are friends now? You "guys" are no fun at all!" [Exasperated Sigh]
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    I'm thinking about the last three episodes, and I wonder, who would I side with if I was there?

    Spoiler
    Show

    Adora's side is pretty obvious "bad weapon go boom", too much power and unknown way to control it.

    On the other hand, Glimmer also has a point even if we ignore the psychological state she is in: They have very limited time, the enemy is winning, worse enemy is right around the corner, and they must have some kind of weapon NOW.
    Not to mention that Adora herself was just looking for the same kind of solution just a few hours ago!

    But surely it can wait just a few days until the beast island mission is over and we get more information, right?
    Not necessarily, last time they were playing detective it distracted them from the horde on a crucial time, not to mention Glimmer signed DT, so there is a very small window of time to infiltrate the fright zone.

    Well, Glimmer's plan didn't work since she was manipulated by Light Hope and had the wrong idea about what the weapon actually is.
    But at the same time I have to wonder what would happen if Glimmer didn't act the way she did?
    The activated weapon gave the princesses a power boost for just a few seconds/minutes (hard to tell) which they used to pretty much wipe entire armies by themselves.
    Would they be able to do the same without the boost? If it was that easy they probably wouldn't need She-Ra to begin with.



    So, if you had the limited knowledge that the characters had, which would you pick?

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    t209's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I'm thinking about the last three episodes, and I wonder, who would I side with if I was there?

    Spoiler
    Show

    Adora's side is pretty obvious "bad weapon go boom", too much power and unknown way to control it.

    On the other hand, Glimmer also has a point even if we ignore the psychological state she is in: They have very limited time, the enemy is winning, worse enemy is right around the corner, and they must have some kind of weapon NOW.
    Not to mention that Adora herself was just looking for the same kind of solution just a few hours ago!

    But surely it can wait just a few days until the beast island mission is over and we get more information, right?
    Not necessarily, last time they were playing detective it distracted them from the horde on a crucial time, not to mention Glimmer signed DT, so there is a very small window of time to infiltrate the fright zone.

    Well, Glimmer's plan didn't work since she was manipulated by Light Hope and had the wrong idea about what the weapon actually is.
    But at the same time I have to wonder what would happen if Glimmer didn't act the way she did?
    The activated weapon gave the princesses a power boost for just a few seconds/minutes (hard to tell) which they used to pretty much wipe entire armies by themselves.
    Would they be able to do the same without the boost? If it was that easy they probably wouldn't need She-Ra to begin with.



    So, if you had the limited knowledge that the characters had, which would you pick?
    Spoiler: My answer
    Show
    Maybe I think they should have at least put Flutterina in rookie position instead of HQ.
    Or maybe start realizing why things have change after she came in.
    My half-cut avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    So, if you had the limited knowledge that the characters had, which would you pick?
    I'm definitely leaning towards Adora's side I think, if I had to choose between only those two options.

    Spoiler: Magics of Mass Destruction... seriously I should like maybe have a content warning here on reflection as I finish up this post...
    Show
    Aside from not trusting the ole SW who in instigating the use of the weapon, and aside from even SW being aghast at Glimmer's willingness to go along with this plan in as rushed a manner as she is, I have other reservations of using this WMD.

    And it really did seem to me to be framed as a choice of using or not use of a WMD. The people living in the frightzone aren't monsters. Even those working for the Horde as soldiers aren't monsters...

    And here is where I feel the need to backtrack on my comment that the Horde soldiers aren't monsters... The horde is very clearly the bad guys from our perspective and even giving them the benefit of the doubt the Horde is regularly committing war atrocities against civilian targets. They are very much the bad guys in the conflict. But...

    The show has gone out of it's way to show us that the Horde is full of normal people. People who have been convinced to do bad things due to propaganda. People willing to dirty their hands in a conflict. But they remain people. Compared to most kids shows with literal faceless stormtrooper armor clad thugs, we spend allot of time getting to know the people behind some of those masks.

    It's a bit odd but every time a horde tank blows up or something to that effect that imperils horde soldiers we always see a shot of it's crew bailing out and living. This alone isn't too strange. Back in the 80's and 90's children's cartoons showed the crews of vehicles bailing out. They had to to get around the censors and wouldn't have been able to air shows with so much violence and guns if they didn't take all those weird methods to dumb down the violence. Red lasers vs blue lasers instead of bullets. Missiles fired by cat piloted aircraft that instead of exploding were tipped with saw blades to cut cables... That sorta stuff.

    No what's weird is the voice of the soldiers when they are in peril. It's not the sound of a voice you would expect, if you expected to hear a voice from these faceless goons at all. It's always the voice of a scared teenager with a higher pitched voice or something like that. The horde is employing child soldiers and the show takes it's time tell you that even when you are rooting for their tanks and cannon emplacements to get blown up.

    I think Adora said it herself at one point. The people in the frightzone are just as much victims of Hordak as the people the horde is attacking.

    No one deserves to have an atomic bomb dropped in their city. Where the lucky ones are those who died instantly, or maybe even those who briefly lived but died when buildings collapsed crushing them. Because when a nuke goes off there are people trapped in the rubble who will not be rescued. The roads to even get to them are impassible. And there are so many collapsed buildings that no country could mobilize enough manpower to engage in a search and rescue large enough to even put a dent in the number of people who die of thirst or starvation. And none of this even gets into the people who do crawl out or in the surrounding radius who suffer from burns to most of their body but were denied the mercy of a quick death to those injuries. And again this doesn't even cover the multitudes more people who will have long term health problems from things like radiation. No one deserves to be nuked.
    Death from above
    And below
    And all sides

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    I'm definitely leaning towards Adora's side I think, if I had to choose between only those two options.

    Spoiler: Magics of Mass Destruction... seriously I should like maybe have a content warning here on reflection as I finish up this post...
    Show
    Aside from not trusting the ole SW who in instigating the use of the weapon, and aside from even SW being aghast at Glimmer's willingness to go along with this plan in as rushed a manner as she is, I have other reservations of using this WMD.

    And it really did seem to me to be framed as a choice of using or not use of a WMD. The people living in the frightzone aren't monsters. Even those working for the Horde as soldiers aren't monsters...

    And here is where I feel the need to backtrack on my comment that the Horde soldiers aren't monsters... The horde is very clearly the bad guys from our perspective and even giving them the benefit of the doubt the Horde is regularly committing war atrocities against civilian targets. They are very much the bad guys in the conflict. But...

    The show has gone out of it's way to show us that the Horde is full of normal people. People who have been convinced to do bad things due to propaganda. People willing to dirty their hands in a conflict. But they remain people. Compared to most kids shows with literal faceless stormtrooper armor clad thugs, we spend allot of time getting to know the people behind some of those masks.

    It's a bit odd but every time a horde tank blows up or something to that effect that imperils horde soldiers we always see a shot of it's crew bailing out and living. This alone isn't too strange. Back in the 80's and 90's children's cartoons showed the crews of vehicles bailing out. They had to to get around the censors and wouldn't have been able to air shows with so much violence and guns if they didn't take all those weird methods to dumb down the violence. Red lasers vs blue lasers instead of bullets. Missiles fired by cat piloted aircraft that instead of exploding were tipped with saw blades to cut cables... That sorta stuff.

    No what's weird is the voice of the soldiers when they are in peril. It's not the sound of a voice you would expect, if you expected to hear a voice from these faceless goons at all. It's always the voice of a scared teenager with a higher pitched voice or something like that. The horde is employing child soldiers and the show takes it's time tell you that even when you are rooting for their tanks and cannon emplacements to get blown up.

    I think Adora said it herself at one point. The people in the frightzone are just as much victims of Hordak as the people the horde is attacking.

    No one deserves to have an atomic bomb dropped in their city. Where the lucky ones are those who died instantly, or maybe even those who briefly lived but died when buildings collapsed crushing them. Because when a nuke goes off there are people trapped in the rubble who will not be rescued. The roads to even get to them are impassible. And there are so many collapsed buildings that no country could mobilize enough manpower to engage in a search and rescue large enough to even put a dent in the number of people who die of thirst or starvation. And none of this even gets into the people who do crawl out or in the surrounding radius who suffer from burns to most of their body but were denied the mercy of a quick death to those injuries. And again this doesn't even cover the multitudes more people who will have long term health problems from things like radiation. No one deserves to be nuked.
    Sure, but she didn't think it will be a magical WMD

    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember, she was sold on the idea that while this was the original intent of the rune stones, that the power can be used in different ways.
    Every action of hers shows this intent.
    She didn't plan to aim the power anywhere like a bomb, instead she spread the princesses to different places thinking that this will be a power-up to them like the way it worked before... Well, before it didn't.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Sure, but she didn't think it will be a magical WMD

    Spoiler
    Show
    Remember, she was sold on the idea that while this was the original intent of the rune stones, that the power can be used in different ways.
    Every action of hers shows this intent.
    She didn't plan to aim the power anywhere like a bomb, instead she spread the princesses to different places thinking that this will be a power-up to them like the way it worked before... Well, before it didn't.
    Sure. But that's sorta been a theme of this season.

    Spoiler: Breakdown of communication
    Show
    So many problems would have went away if Glimmer and Adora and co could just sit down together and talk to each other but because of events last season and the pile up of events this season no one's really able to communicate usefully with one another.

    Of course by problems I mean drama and well.. that's sorta the point of entertainment. The third option is probably a little bit of both approaches.

    Adora and Bow and everyone else at the start of the season are so fearful of hurting Glimmer's feelings about the loss of her mother that they instead end up isolating her even worse than she was to begin with. She was further isolated from her friends by her new responsibilities as Queen of Brightmoon. Isolation that is being exploited by SW. And SW being one of Adora's biggest hangups further drives a wedge between them. Mistrust builds over the decoy strategy, probably not even because it was a bad idea. I believe if Adora had been clued in from the start she would have happily agreed, perhaps. It eventually gets the point where they are so dysfunctional that Glimmer just blurts out that it's Adora's fault her mother is dead and my jaw hit the floor.

    The two of them if they could work together, could do allot of good. Briefly they even managed to work together to lay a trap for Double. The real shame of all this is that in the end I don't think either Adora or Glimmer were wrong to have their opinions. But Glimmer wouldn't hear out Adora's fears and explanation about how bad this weapon was and Adora probably wasn't open to the idea of exploring even the possibility of it. I think... I honestly am a bit blurry on Adora's role right there towards the end.
    Death from above
    And below
    And all sides

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I'm thinking about the last three episodes, and I wonder, who would I side with if I was there?

    Spoiler
    Show

    Adora's side is pretty obvious "bad weapon go boom", too much power and unknown way to control it.

    On the other hand, Glimmer also has a point even if we ignore the psychological state she is in: They have very limited time, the enemy is winning, worse enemy is right around the corner, and they must have some kind of weapon NOW.
    Not to mention that Adora herself was just looking for the same kind of solution just a few hours ago!

    But surely it can wait just a few days until the beast island mission is over and we get more information, right?
    Not necessarily, last time they were playing detective it distracted them from the horde on a crucial time, not to mention Glimmer signed DT, so there is a very small window of time to infiltrate the fright zone.

    Well, Glimmer's plan didn't work since she was manipulated by Light Hope and had the wrong idea about what the weapon actually is.
    But at the same time I have to wonder what would happen if Glimmer didn't act the way she did?
    The activated weapon gave the princesses a power boost for just a few seconds/minutes (hard to tell) which they used to pretty much wipe entire armies by themselves.
    Would they be able to do the same without the boost? If it was that easy they probably wouldn't need She-Ra to begin with.



    So, if you had the limited knowledge that the characters had, which would you pick?
    Answers your question in a round about fashion.

    Spoiler: What genre and what form of narration was used in this story.
    Show

    So we are given two points of view.

    Glimmer's Point of View

    Adora's Point of View

    But is that the only information do we get? Is the information we the audience know limited to what Glimmer has as her personal experiences, the things she has seen, the life experiences she has, and the vivid memories she can recall? Likewise the same question goes to Adora, what is the knowledge Adora has, what is the life experiences she possess, what is her perception, and so on?

    Are we as the audience knowledge limited to these two things?

    The answer is no!

    This is because of the "genre" that She-Ra with this form of conflict belongs to, and that is the genre of Tragedy. How do we know this is tragedy? Because a 2nd person narration was used from time to time.

    From time to time we the audience was shown that Light-Hope was unreliable and no one else was on the scene besides the audience watching and Light Hope committing the dastardly deeds. This is a writer's choice, and by the writer making this choice they are communicating directly with the audience that this is pertinent information. Furthermore the writer did not just do this with Light Hope but we were given other 2nd person narration scenes with Double Trouble with her eyes doing the thing when Double Trouble is all alone.

    This is no different than House of Cards with Kevin Spacey talking to the audience. We also see it more famously used with the "tragic" element that Shakespeare was famous for when the person that is the tragic villain in his plays would communicate directly to the audience as if you can read their mind and secret information is communicated to the viewer of the play. They become "in on it", they are witnessing a crime unfold much like in Ocean's 11 and other heist movies you are watching to see how the crime is going to be performed. A tragedy as a genre often is the form of "high tragedy" where we know someone is going to fail due to some form of tragic flaw, but the how and when of the fall is not know beforehand and thus we watch to see the precise sequences of event that reveal the fall from the height.

    -----



    Thus we the audience are told beforehand the Adora is in the right with this argument, but we are not told the specific reasons why Adora is right for she herself does not know the details. We are told that if Glimmer were to listen to Adora they could probably have "mystery solved" this secret mystery, there was a way out of this, this is not inevitable as a narrative if the proper choices were made. But the proper choices were not made and thus Glimmer and Adora did not cooperate as a team to figure out what Light Hope was lying about and to do that Glimmer and Adora needed to rescue Entrapta and put off the plan that Glimmer and Shadow Weaver had.

    Adora was right not because she knew Light Hope's secret plan, but because she in the past caught Light Hope in a lie which was her origins and how Light Hope conveniently keeps things hidden in order to control and manipulate She-Ra. This is the same behavior that Shadow Weaver did to Adora that started this conflict. Adora has history with abuse, she can smell something was not right a mile away even if she did not know exactly what.

    We are supposed to see Glimmer repeating the sins of the past of Adora, by Glimmer doing a reversal compared to her earlier self with Season 1 Glimmer taught Adora to trust people and to investigate her past but simultaneously helping people. Here Glimmer said we do not have time for your self doubts to a person who is very obviously lying to you for the world is on the line per Glimmer's perspective. Was the world really at the brisk of destruction we do not know, but Glimmer thought it was. From a narrative standpoint the writers are purposefully telling we the audience that Glimmer is in the wrong.

    Glimmer the former friend is no longer being an ally. This is supposed to parallel how Catra is not being an ally to Scorpia, and also how Catra betrayed Entrapta.

    -----


    Now if I did not know the things I know for I saw the choreographed signals that we can't trust Light Hope and how she is deleting her own program in accordance to the grand plan...maybe I would be on Glimmer's side...or maybe I would be on Adora's side...I do not know. But change one detail of the story and the story would be different, this is a narrative we are crafting. And the writers specifically used 2nd party narration some of the time, not exclusively 1st party and 3rd party narration to tell us the audience that Light Hope is not on the level this season, and the writers also did the same thing with informing us immediately that Double Trouble is in Brightmoon and is specifically posing as Flutterina a character that DT created for this role.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-11-20 at 11:14 AM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Answers your question in a round about fashion.

    Spoiler: What genre and what form of narration was used in this story.
    Show


    Because a 2nd person narration was used from time to time.

    From time to time we the audience was shown that Light-Hope was unreliable and no one else was on the scene besides the audience watching and Light Hope committing the dastardly deeds. This is a writer's choice, and by the writer making this choice they are communicating directly with the audience that this is pertinent information. Furthermore the writer did not just do this with Light Hope but we were given other 2nd person narration scenes with Double Trouble with her eyes doing the thing when Double Trouble is all alone.

    This is no different than House of Cards using the "tragic" element that Shakespeare was famous for when the person that is the tragic villain in his plays would communicate directly to the audience as if you can read their mind and secret information is communicated to the viewer of the play. They become "in on it", they are witnessing a crime unfold much like in Ocean's 11 and other heist movies you are watching to see how the crime is going to be performed. A tragedy as a genre often is the form of "high tragedy" where we know someone is going to fail due to some form of tragic flaw, but the how and when of the fall is not know before hand and thus we watch to see the precise sequences of event that reveal the fall from the height.

    Sorry to nit-pick, but the scenes you described are still in 3rd person perspective. Though I agree those scenes are written for the viewer's knowledge, not for character's knowledge. To be 2nd person perspective, a scene requires the viewer to be spoken to directly by the narration as if they were part of the story. There aren't many examples of 2nd person perspective in media, since it's rarely worth using, but one good example is the intro to Twilight Zone.

    But this doesn't really detract from your analysis.
    Terminological verbose usage inevitably culminates into inadequate communicational torrents of linguistic disparity.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Seracain View Post
    Sorry to nit-pick, but the scenes you described are still in 3rd person perspective. Though I agree those scenes are written for the viewer's knowledge, not for character's knowledge. To be 2nd person perspective, a scene requires the viewer to be spoken to directly by the narration as if they were part of the story. There aren't many examples of 2nd person perspective in media, since it's rarely worth using, but one good example is the intro to Twilight Zone.

    But this doesn't really detract from your analysis.
    Definitions are stupid things.

    Yes, you are right. We are given "visual" cues revealing the truth only for the audience behalf. But technically these visual cues were not spoken / narrated and thus this is not 2nd person narration. I was wrong
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Fury's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    So, if you had the limited knowledge that the characters had, which would you pick?
    Before the fact? I'd have to not know some things to side with Glimmer.

    Spoiler: Some things. These things.
    Show
    Using the Heart of Etheria for anything requires cooperating with Light Hope, an AI that only ever interacts with Adora. And Adora doesn't trust her.

    There's no controlling the Heart of Etheria, in fact the First Ones couldn't control it.
    Iop brain.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ramza00's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Before the fact? I'd have to not know some things to side with Glimmer.

    Spoiler: Some things. These things.
    Show
    Using the Heart of Etheria for anything requires cooperating with Light Hope, an AI that only ever interacts with Adora. And Adora doesn't trust her.

    There's no controlling the Heart of Etheria, in fact the First Ones couldn't control it.
    Yep and that is why Entrapta is so important, and we are given these "author cues" again and again.

    Spoiler: Light Hope and the ❤️ of the Planet
    Show

    What the Princess Rebellion was lacking was knowledge. Knowledge was the key thing that was "scarce" in Season 4, and various people were manipulating knowledge in order to create temporary alliances [see Catra with Hordak Prime, see season 3 Shadow Weaver that became season 4 Shadow Weaver, see Light Hope, see etc.]

    Light Hope was manipulating what knowledge she shared and not shared with Adora and the Princess Rebellion. Adora knew this, and later in the 2nd to last episode even Glimmer knew this. It was "way too convenient" when Light Hope had memory errors, or when Light Hope sent defensive bots but she also had the power to grant temporary administrative access to Glimmer so the defensive bots will not attack Glimmer.

    We are told via authorial intent one can not trust Light Hope much like we can't trust Shadow Weaver [formerly Light Spinner], I am keep on bringing up Shadow Weaver's old name for Light is in Knowledge in the metaphor of She-Ra. What is "known" vs what is "unknown" is played with as Light vs Shadow with Shadow hiding what is known but someone else may know it. And this is how these "authority figures" manipulate their charges in She-Ra.

    -----

    Thus only Entrapta could save the Princess Alliance in season 4. She lacks knowledge but her first instinct is to dart into the unknown in order to understand the unknown and make the unknown into known. If you can't trust the people who manipulate you, you have to seek out other sources of knowledge besides those people. But how do you find these people? Maybe it is just talking to dozens, hundreds, thousands of people who may have the answers.

    Or maybe it is tracking down the curiosity savant who is obsessed with first ones tech and knows more about the first ones than anyone else alive. The one who tapped into the Black Garnet and literally made storms happen that were so intense it may kill everyone on the surface of the planet in Season 1. It is literally beaten into our heads that Entrapta is the key to all of this on a thematic and metaphor level that I am surprised that no one else sees this.

    -----

    And what is the message Entrapta tells She-Ra in the last few episodes. It was.

    Entrapta
    The answers I've been looking for, they're all here.
    [machine powering up.]
    My theories were correct.
    I knew the First Ones had retrofitted the planet with tech, I just didn't know why.

    But it all makes sense now.
    They were mining the planet's magic, using it to power their weapon, the Heart of Etheria.

    But of course you know all about the Heart of Etheria already, - seeing as you're a part of it.
    Adora
    Wait, wait, hang on.
    What? I'm a part of it?
    Entrapta
    All the princesses are.
    Hang on, I'll show you.
    The Heart draws its power from the magic of the princesses.
    It needs all their Runestones engaged for it to work.
    And She-Ra is the most important piece, the key.
    She channels the weapon's power and focuses it.

    Adora
    What? [Shocked]

    Entrapta
    She-Ra is the only being strong enough to withstand the destructive energy of the Heart.
    So, the First Ones made the sword to control her, to use her.

    When the Heart is deployed, She-Ra will raise the sword and fire it! [Entrapta laughing.]

    Adora
    She-Ra is the key.
    That means I can stop it, right? If She-Ra fires the weapon, then I just won't do it.
    Please, Entrapta, tell me I can stop it.
    Entrapta
    Once the planet is balanced, no one can stop it.
    Not even the First Ones could control it.
    That's why they left.

    When the weapon is activated it will channel all its power into you.
    You don't get to refuse.
    And Adora gets her answer, Adora gets her knowledge.

    While Glimmer "chooses" with incomplete knowledge and thus her tragedy with her tragic flaw. She "decided" and decide is a powerful word you see Glimmer use a lot in Season 4. Decide, decisions, decided, etc. It is also the word used to manipulate her, to stress her out, and it is the word that Glimmer uses to cut off Shadow Weaver when she realizes Shadow Weaver was manipulating her with mentioning her mother in the second to last episode of the season.

    Now that Adora gets her Answer, Adora gets to choose and to choose freely instead of being manipulated, instead of bad faith.
    Glimmer the tragic character is instead being manipulated and is treated as a piece in a giant machine, a game others play, both alive and dead, for the dead they can too manipulate us from beyond the grave [The First Ones, Glimmer's Mom and her bond with Glimmer, just the past in general]

    But while the dead can manipulate us, it is also the dead who can inspire us for example the memory of Queen Angella in the Season 3 finale, "take care of each other" is what allowed Adora to access She-Ra on beast island and to find the vines / the audio signal.

    The same tools that can lead us astray can also allow us to tap into the things that are beautiful about us.


    So like I said earlier in this post and other posts, to side with Glimmer one must "not know things" as The Fury pointed out. Things we as viewers are specifically shown and thus we can't simultaneously "Not Know" them for we are told specifically to "Know Them."

    But there will always be things we "Not Know" and this is one of the things that She-Ra is teaching if you see it as an elementary school kid, it is teaching empathy, for there will always be things you do not know, and thus you must learn to trust in others, but also not trust too much or they will manipulate you. Learning to selectively trust, and to selectively take a leap of faith is a very important empathy / "theory-of-mind" issue that all children and adult need to learn to cultivate.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-11-21 at 01:02 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Watched it, loved it.

    After She-Ra
    Spoiler
    Show
    shattered the sword and then claimed not to be She-Ra anymore,
    all I could think of was this clip:


    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The Fury's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So like I said earlier in this post and other posts, to side with Glimmer one must "not know things" as The Fury pointed out. Things we as viewers are specifically shown and thus we can't simultaneously "Not Know" them for we are told specifically to "Know Them."

    But there will always be things we "Not Know" and this is one of the things that She-Ra is teaching if you see it as an elementary school kid, it is teaching empathy, for there will always be things you do not know, and thus you must learn to trust in others, but also not trust too much or they will manipulate you. Learning to selectively trust, and to selectively take a leap of faith is a very important empathy / "theory-of-mind" issue that all children and adult need to learn to cultivate.
    On that note, it's not too hard to imagine a scenario in which I'd side with Glimmer or Adora.

    Spoiler: Let's speculate! What would I do?
    Show
    Assuming I were not a passive observer and was a Princess active in the Rebellion, ("Princess The Fury?" Heh.) Adora might very well tell me about things like Light Hope and the messages that Mara left behind. If I knew about them, I'd already be likely to side with Adora.

    If I were just a random rank and file Rebellion fighter and my only interaction with The Best Friend Squad was the occasional high-five from Bow, there's no way I could know or even guess what The Heart of Etheria really is. I probably wouldn't even know about Light Hope existing, much less the fact that she only ever interacts with Adora and clearly keeps things from her. Based on that, I'd likely side with Glimmer.
    Iop brain.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Silfir's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Esslingen, Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: She-Ra Season 4 is out, embrace your inner queen!

    I get some serious Babylon 5 vibes from this show. It's so satisfying to watch events unfold - to watch plot hooks snap into place like some massive jigsaw puzzle. What a time to be alive.
    Last edited by Silfir; 2019-11-24 at 05:35 PM.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •