New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default 4 classical temperaments as unexpected alignments

Sanguine: I read this as the happy-go-lucky guy who just wants to have a good time and doesn’t care why he’s having fun. This sounds default any chaotic, but likely chaotic good or chaotic neutral

Phlegmatic: These are described as empathetic rule followers, thus are lawful good or neutral good. Some sites describe them as apathetic, which could swing them towards neutral.

Melancholic: Dark, brooding, and fond of order—either lawful evil or lawful neutral.

Choleric: Bad-tempered and impatient—Chaotic evil, Neutral Evil, or possibly Lawful Evil if they have some slight melancholic tendencies.

I was hoping to get away from alignment and make a team of essentially the four temperaments, but to me, the temperaments are basically corresponding to the basic alignments anyway.

Can you help me see examples of characters who are acting in a way unexpected for their temperaments?
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-11-07 at 07:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: 4 classical temperaments as unexpected alignments

Notably, FATAL used the four temperaments as a personality system (on top of having an alignment system). They're best used - and I can't believe I'm saying this - the way FATAL did it, where they describe demeanour, rather than philosophy or motivation.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Notably, FATAL used the four temperaments as a personality system (on top of having an alignment system). They're best used - and I can't believe I'm saying this - the way FATAL did it, where they describe demeanour, rather than philosophy or motivation.
    Makes me wish I hadn’t looked up Fatal.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Sanguine: I read this as the happy-go-lucky guy who just wants to have a good time and doesn’t care why he’s having fun. This sounds default any chaotic, but likely chaotic good or chaotic neutral

Phlegmatic: These are described as empathetic rule followers, thus are lawful good or neutral good. Some sites describe them as apathetic, which could swing them towards neutral.

Melancholic: Dark, brooding, and fond of order—either lawful evil or lawful neutral.

Choleric: Bad-tempered and impatient—Chaotic evil, Neutral Evil, or possibly Lawful Evil if they have some slight melancholic tendencies.

I was hoping to get away from alignment and make a team of essentially the four temperaments, but to me, the temperaments are basically corresponding to the basic alignments anyway.

Can you help me see examples of characters who are acting in a way unexpected for their temperaments?
    Melancholic Lawful Good types are possible (eg some versions of Batman, Vimes, etc)

Sanguine types could very easily be anywhere on the alignment chart - they just have to be enthusiastic and joyful about wherever they are.

Choleric: you can be plenty grumpy without being Evil. Lots of foul-mouthed short-tempered types with a heart of gold out there in fiction.

Phlegmatic can easily swing to Evil, especially of the punchclock villain, or cold-hearted manipulator varieties.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Heartbreaking: The Worst [System] You Know Just Made A Great Point

Anyways, some unconventional alignment-temperament pairing ideas off the top of my head. This was a lot more challenging than I expected. Notably, the Law/Chaos correlations were harder to break than Good/Evil:

Lawful evil Sanguine: A ruler or minion who is childish in the worst ways. Disregards the lives of others without real malice, takes bigotry at face value, and uses rules as something to hide behind, not a philosophy. May have a latent conscience if forced to face the consequences of their actions directly, but normally turns a blind eye.

Chaotic evil Phlegmatic: Another minion and product of their surroundings. Apathetic to injustice and motivated by fear above all: Fear of their masters, of change, and by extension, those different from themselves; a fear that has turned to hate, which overwhelms their potential for compassion. Loyal not to laws or masters, but to the routine they enforce. Redeemable if removed from bad influences.

Chaotic good Melancholic: A rebel with a strong moral code focused heavily on freedom. The "anarchist intellectual" type, independent but methodical. Break laws and regulations not out of whim, but principle. If they lead, they do so through reason, compelling others to follow their philosophy, not them as a person.

Lawful good Choleric: A crusader driven most by their relentless anger at evil and injustice. Brutally honest, when they make a promise, they remain passionately committed until it gets done. When they see others hurt, their gut reaction isn't empathy, but wrath and a loud desire to see the aggressors punished. While compassion isn't their nature, their rules keep them in line.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynael View Post
    Heartbreaking: The Worst [System] You Know Just Made A Great Point

Anyways, some unconventional alignment-temperament pairing ideas off the top of my head. This was a lot more challenging than I expected. Notably, the Law/Chaos correlations were harder to break than Good/Evil:

Lawful evil Sanguine: A ruler or minion who is childish in the worst ways. Disregards the lives of others without real malice, takes bigotry at face value, and uses rules as something to hide behind, not a philosophy. May have a latent conscience if forced to face the consequences of their actions directly, but normally turns a blind eye.

Chaotic evil Phlegmatic: Another minion and product of their surroundings. Apathetic to injustice and motivated by fear above all: Fear of their masters, of change, and by extension, those different from themselves; a fear that has turned to hate, which overwhelms their potential for compassion. Loyal not to laws or masters, but to the routine they enforce. Redeemable if removed from bad influences.

Chaotic good Melancholic: A rebel with a strong moral code focused heavily on freedom. The "anarchist intellectual" type, independent but methodical. Break laws and regulations not out of whim, but principle. If they lead, they do so through reason, compelling others to follow their philosophy, not them as a person.

Lawful good Choleric: A crusader driven most by their relentless anger at evil and injustice. Brutally honest, when they make a promise, they remain passionately committed until it gets done. When they see others hurt, their gut reaction isn't empathy, but wrath and a loud desire to see the aggressors punished. While compassion isn't their nature, their rules keep them in line.
    I like all of these. I think these are the ones I'll go with.