New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone know about this new Staph infection?

Least it's not Captain Tripps, the Super Flu

(sorry, had to make a Stephen King reference)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mf11 View Post
    they're a problem b/c they become carriers. they take the virus from place to place, and show no signs of having the illness. therefor you dont realize that they will infect you, since they are immune.
    But if everyone's vaccinated, no problem, and it's the non-vaccinated's (or parents') own fault (people with medical reasons excused, of course). And I'm dubious about this carrier thing. If you're talking about inside the body, the point of vaccines is they teach the body to destroy it, not just to stop it doing damage. If you're talking outside the body, good hygeine should handle that, and I think most viruses are relatively fragile, anyway.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

I work in a hospital and am about to be a nurse (I take the test on the 20th of November, wish me luck) I see MRSA lots (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), as well as C-Diff (Clostridium difficile), and sometimes VRE (Vanocomycin-resistant Enterococci).

First it is not the anti-bacterial hand washes on house cleaners that caused it, and they will get rid of it off of your hands and such. We use an anti-bacterial alcohol foam to wash our hands between actually washing them with soap and water. (This does not work for C-diff, you must wash your hands with soap and water after every contact with a patient with c-diff).

MRSA is the exact same staph that everyone has on their skin, except that it is resistant to one of the strongest antibiotics, methicillin. Where the problem from it comes in is when you have a break in the skin or have immune problems, like Kitya or Bor (his diabeties causes blood flow issues and screws up the ability of the body to heal and get the white blood cells to the wounds) The reason why healthy people are still getting very ill is that the infection can and does spread. A healthy person gets a small wound and sometimes may miss it or not think anything of it, then they get into contact with MRSA say on their hands by touching someone that has it and then they touch the small wound. This causes an infection and the wound will not heal. A non-healing wound allows the MRSA to get into the blood and cause sepsis. Now this is serious and can cause death quickly, the poisons the bacteria lets out causes a severe and quick drop in blood pressure. No BP=death very quickly. And once in the blood it is very hard to fight because it has spread through out the body.

The other bad thing about MRSA is that it can live on any surface for (if I remember right) more than a weak. Does this mean that you have to be careful of everything you touch, no (unless you are like Kitya) What it does mean is wash your hands after going to the bathroom or being in areas where there is a high chance to get the disease. Put anti-bacterial ointment on wounds and if they are fairly big or they are not healing normally go to the hospital. My right leg is 3rd degree burned from the knee down to the ankle, I run into stuff all the time and break open the skin/scars there all the time. I go into rooms with people that have MRSA in their wounds even with that wound open. I am just careful not to touch the wound to anything and to keep neosporin and a bandage over it. Never has been infected and it heals up untill the next time I hit it. On the other had I have a friend that, while being a great guy, is a total slob. I would rather wallow in a pig pin then walk into his appartment. He had scrapes all over his lower left leg and they got infected, not having insurance he did not go to the hospital. He came over to the house to play a game and the wound decided to seap. Needles to say we were very unhappy with him and after getting him to the bathroom I had him wash his leg in the tub. I pored some alcohol over the wound, wrapped it with some bandages I had (for my leg whenever I bump it) and then wrapped it with an ace bandage. We mopped the whole floor and area where he was with almost full strenght pine-sol. No one that was in contact with him got MRSA (we found out later it was MRSA) but me. My left leg is not as badly burned as my right but the thigh was used multiple times for donor sites so it has a fiarly thick scar on it that still gets hair trying to come throung so I get ingrown hairs. I just so happened to have had a sore from picking out an ingrown hair on that leg and was wearing shortes at the time my friend had his infected wound. Though I took a shower after helping my friend the little wound got infected. As it was so little and I have had them many times before I though nothing of it and did not apply any neosporin to it. 3 weeks later I have this boil like thing comming up on my thigh. I go to the doctor and he cut it open and cleaned it out (very painful) gives me antibiotics and pain pills and sends me home. They tested it and it was MRSA in the wound. The antibiotics cleared the rest of it up and now I have a slightly different looking scar on top of the one that was already there. It was no big deal as I went to the doctor quickly and got antibiotics for it.

Unfortunatly what probably happened to the 17 year old kid was that he probably got a small cut some where and went into a locker room and it got infected with MRSA (like I said it can live on surfaces for more than a week) He then thought nothing of it as everyone gets small scratches all the time and when it was not healing he payed it no attention. It got into his blood and he got septic. ANY bacteria that gets into your blood and causes sepsis and you are in trouble quickly.

More facts about MRSA. It used to be a hospital only bacteria. Only people that came into the hospital got it. Now it is seen in the community more then the hospital. They can use a few different drugs to get rid of it including Vanocomycin, that is where VRE is a pain in that it is resistant to Vanocomycin also. Think of the drugs almost like a pyramid. The weakest ones or the ones that are cendered for only certain diseases being at the bottom and the stronger ones and broader acting being at the top. If a bacteria gets resistant to a drug then it usually is resistant to the drugs below it also. Vanoco is one of the strongest broader acting drugs.

Sorry about the book but I just had a lot to say

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Crispy, thanks for the info. That probably cleared a lot up.

And I'm going to be watching some scrapes I got playing Four Square today. Wiped out on wet gravel pavement. Wearing shorts and a tank top. Equals ow. Just minor stuff. Heh.

Stay healthy everyone!

Cheers,
    Syka
    Show me how pretty the world is
    'Cause I envy the way that you move
    'Cause I want something a little bit louder
    'Cause you're brilliant when you try
    Show me how pretty the whole world is tonight
    -Matt Nathanson "Pretty the World"

Various Syka-Foxes done by the wonderful Ceika

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There are six or so football (American football) players at my school with it, but they are still able to play as long as the wound has closed, is in the healing process, and have it covered. The rumors spread quickly. Yesterday everyone was freaking out and talking about how our school is going to be closed and so on, but all the teachers know that it's just panic. A lot of the more intelligent of us, i.e. not panic-ers, suggested that the football teem comes out screaming and groaning with bandages all over and surgical masks for all the fans. No one would tackle us.
    Last edited by Space-Is-Curved; 2007-10-20 at 06:21 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

First of all, and most important to remember in this discussion:

MRSA infections are curable

if they are detected as such in time and are treated with the right antibiotics. Then it's not more dangerous than a normal staph. infection, just like Bor said.
    Still, it brings a lot of problems, and they are the reason why both politicians, the median and doctors are so worried about it.

About staphylopcoccs:
    Staphylococcus Epidermis - is normal to have on skinn, but might infect wounds and blood if they get the opportunity to it. Folowing the blood they might infect interior organs. They are treatable by antibiotics.
    Staphylococcus Aureus - is normal in the nose and around genitalia / anus. Will normally not colonize other parts of the skinn as Staph E. outcompetes them there. Can infect wounds and systemically (in the body) if it gets there (picking your nose and then fingering your wounds without a hand wash inbetween is not a good idea at all), and is treatable by antibiotics, but not by all kinds of antibiotics because of many resistant strains.

Suggested reading

Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Tonight, one of their promos was, "A new flesh-eating bacteria found in schools!
    Well, it's actually not new. MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) have been observed in the US for about 15 years.
    The problem is not that it's methicilin-resistant (methicilin being a certain branch of antibiotics), but that out of abut 5 types of antibiotics available to mankind, this bacteria is immune to 3 and scientists have also fount species immune to the 4th kind (vancomysin)
    At present, no progress is made in finding a 6th, an scientists across the world fear that we will soon run out of medication against sertain strains of bacteria.

It's also worth to note that it's Staphylococcus Aureus, not Staphylococcus Epidermis that is the trouble. Remember, Bob, when I was furious about your doc prescribing you antibiotics "just in case"? Well, that was because that it's a direct invitation for MRSA to infect your wounds.
    It's the practise in US and sentral Europe (especially France) to give antibiotics for any illness that has generated a lot of the resistant bacteria-strains. The only long term solution for the problem is to starting to treat the right problem with the right medication, in stead of viewing antibiotics as some miracle-drug for all kinds of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
    Well unless they are the things causing Autism in kids in which case not always.
    There is no scientific proof for that. The studies that media have sited to proove that have been less than conclusive about it, with many studies showing the contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by mf11 View Post
    they're a problem b/c they become carriers. they take the virus from place to place, and show no signs of having the illness. therefor you dont realize that they will infect you, since they are immune.
    Carriers are people infected with the illness that don't get a infection that is serious enough to show clinicaly, but with a normal course of the disease, so his cells get infected, and the virus or bacteria get's to use it's normal route for spreading out of the persons body to new recipients
    On the other hand, when a person is vaccinated, his immune system kills the pathogen, so he is not a carrier since whatever he or she is vaccinated agains don't get's to replicate in his or hers body.

A handy flowcharat about why we are f*****:
    Last edited by Narmoth; 2007-10-20 at 09:10 AM.
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

As far as I know staph infection is caused by bacteria called staphylococcus which can be found usually in the noses or on the skin of healthy people. The bacteria of staph infection can survive on inanimate objects such as towels or pillow for a long time before transferring to others who come in contact.

The bacteria can go through extreme environment such as extreme dry or hot weather or even saltiest environment.

Here is the useful website I often visit. You can refer and get more information about staph infection: authorityremedies.com
    Good luck :)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

As always, small cartoon birds have the answer:

https://youtu.be/xZbcwi7SfZE
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2016-12-31 at 05:08 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    As always, small cartoon birds have the answer:

https://youtu.be/xZbcwi7SfZE
    You should check out the dates of these posts.