New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite multiclass?

I just started my first campaign as a forest gnome Druid 1/Bard 1, it’s made social situations really fun as I can cast all kinds of illusions.
    It’s not the most effective class combo, but it reflects my character’s backstory as someone who was raised by druids but ran away to join a traveling theater troupe!
    Unfortunately, it also makes me pretty useless in battle, at least until Druid Level 2 comes along (Circle of the Moon represent!)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Tempest Cleric 2/ Storm Sorcerer X is a lot of fun.

Cavalier Fighter 3/ Oath of the Crown Paladin X (/Cavalier Fighter +4) is a highly effective mounted tank, and one of my favorite characters of all time used this build. Here's the video I got it from (with a much more thorough breakdown of how it works).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Cleric(Life) 1/Druid (Shepherd) X

You can use druid terrain hazards to do the god wizard routine. Your summons are excellent and efficient. And so long as you draw breath it is mathematically impossible for someone to die via HP damage. You're effectively an unlimited well of life, on top of excellent utility casting.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

I realise it may be a point of contention and that by technicality I don't have a lot of ground to stand on, but...

...does a dip really "count" as a multiclass character?

Yes, it's a character using the multiclass rules.
    Yes, it's technically a multiclass character.
    Granted.
    However, if a characters identity is drawn in large part from their character class, then surely a "dip" character is less and less identified by the dipped class, the higher their level, compared to a character that has more equal levels in all of their classes. At what point does the "dip" stop being a multiclass and start being some nice additional features that are lost amidst the sea of features from their primary class? In some cases, this may never be the case; a Paladin 2/Sorcerer 8 will probably identify more as a Paladin than a Sorcerer even if the character never progresses beyond Paladin level 2. Compare this to a Knowledge Cleric 1/Wizard 9, who might never identify as a Cleric much at all, if ever. Now compare both of these to a Barbarian 5/Rogue 5 and the identity they might have.

I'm not saying any one way is better or worse than the other, but at least for me, the identity of a more equitable split feels far more like something I'd call a "multiclass" character than one that's primarily one class with a side helping of another.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    I realise it may be a point of contention and that by technicality I don't have a lot of ground to stand on, but...

Granted.
    However, if a characters identity is drawn in large part from their character class, then surely a "dip" character is less and less identified by the dipped class, the higher their level, compared to a character that has more equal levels in all of their classes. At what point does the "dip" stop being a multiclass and start being some nice additional features that are lost amidst the sea of features from their primary class? In some cases, this may never be the case; a Paladin 2/Sorcerer 8 will probably identify more as a Paladin than a Sorcerer even if the character never progresses beyond Paladin level 2. Compare this to a Knowledge Cleric 1/Wizard 9, who might never identify as a Cleric much at all, if ever. Now compare both of these to a Barbarian 5/Rogue 5 and the identity they might have.

I'm not saying any one way is better or worse than the other, but at least for me, the identity of a more equitable split feels far more like something I'd call a "multiclass" character than one that's primarily one class with a side helping of another.
    While I see where you're coming from, it's worthwhile to pay attention how much those few levels actually matter in the whole picture.

For example, in the case of my earlier "wishful-thinking", Paladin 18/Bard 2 has a very different overall feel due to how much Jack of all Trades actually does (half your proficiency bonus to all ability checks that don't benefit from full proficiency; including initiative checks)

Granted, not all classes bestow such long-stretching abilities at low levels, if at all. But still I think it's a valid point to consider. Even a "Dip" can be relevant for being considered a "real multiclass".
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Normally I'd say no, but because 5e is a system that greatly favours dipping over traditional multiclassing it might as well be called MCing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    If the players demand a mechanical explanation for how he does this, summon Orcus
    Quote Originally Posted by tKUUNK View Post
    first off, LentilNinja, I love the build you suggested! FUN is the word here.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Granted.

I think it depends what you are doing. If you take a two level dip in warlock and even at 15th level you are still spending most of your time casting eldritch blast then you will feel that warlock class a lot. If you are a fighter 13, rogue 2 and use cunning action every turn then you will feel that rogue a lot as well. Wizard X and knowledge cleric 1? Maybe less so as most of the time you will feel like a full wizard. I think it comes down to how often you use the abilities.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

You also have to consider the context of when the multiclass comes on board. It's easy to look at a 2-3 level dip as minor, but it can grant significant changes in game play(Eldritch Blast and invocations, smite and heavy armor and martial weapons). Also depending how you structure those level ups it changes the identity of a class. Most people aren't starting their character at level 20, so looking at the build in those terms can rob you of the character development along the way.

So for me, yes, dips are still multiclassing.
    Last edited by Verble; 2019-11-11 at 11:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Strangely enough, Monk/Ranger is what comes to mind. I've yet to play such a character, but it's been on my bucket list for a long time, and with the UA that gives a d6 Unarmed Strike as a fighting style (as well as plenty other Ranger options), I've never felt more confident in the multiclass. As a white space theory crafted character, I'd probably go 4 or 5 Monk for Ki points then full on Ranger. Without the dependency on further monk levels to get good damage output, I can maximize the damage of Hunter's Mark by having multiple attacks from Ranger stack with Flurry of Blows. The Unarmored Defense and speed boosts are a wonderful flavor bonus for a light warrior, and the Ranger's d10 hit dice with the Monk's defensive abilities make for a great front line fighter. Out of combat, their spells and monk abilities (as well as the Expertise available to Rangers now in the same UA I mentioned earlier) give the character leaps and bounds more versatility.

Also, Monk/Ranger isn't something I've ever heard much chatter about, as they're both rather controversial classes, but combining the two makes for some great combos.
    Last edited by Nagog; 2019-11-12 at 01:23 AM.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Nagog View Post
    Strangely enough, Monk/Ranger is what comes to mind. I've yet to play such a character, but it's been on my bucket list for a long time, and with the UA that gives a d6 Unarmed Strike as a fighting style (as well as plenty other Ranger options), I've never felt more confident in the multiclass. As a white space theory crafted character, I'd probably go 4 or 5 Monk for Ki points then full on Ranger. Without the dependency on further monk levels to get good damage output, I can maximize the damage of Hunter's Mark by having multiple attacks from Ranger stack with Flurry of Blows. The Unarmored Defense and speed boosts are a wonderful flavor bonus for a light warrior, and the Ranger's d10 hit dice with the Monk's defensive abilities make for a great front line fighter. Out of combat, their spells and monk abilities (as well as the Expertise available to Rangers now in the same UA I mentioned earlier) give the character leaps and bounds more versatility.

Also, Monk/Ranger isn't something I've ever heard much chatter about, as they're both rather controversial classes, but combining the two makes for some great combos.
    This is a multiclass that has often, conceptually appealed to me as well. Unfortunately the ranger class has just never done what I needed it to do to be worth playing, at least at low levels and at high levels multiclassing means it takes forever to get what you want. For me it was always something to do after shadowmonk 6 - a ranger shadowstepping amongst the trees in the shade of the canopy seemed pretty cool.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Default Favorite multiclass?

My favorite Multiclass is a tie:

1) Ancients Paladin/ArchFey Warlock. (Half Elf)
    2) 1 Monk / 10 Moon Druid (for a one shot) (Wood Elf)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #42

I'm really enjoying my EK 7/Celestial Tomelock 8. I can fight in melee with Shillelagh and War Magic. Fight at range with EB+Agonizing Blast. I've got all the rituals. I can heal and revive people. I've a decent number of long rest slots for defensive spells like Shield, Absorb Elements and Mirror Image and two short rest slots for serious magic multiple times per day.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

I've thought about this one and I think it makes the most sense to just take two levels of ranger. One with UA class feature variants. You really just want Hunter's Mark and martial weapons from ranger, right? I suppose if you really want higher level spells you could keep going with ranger, but it would be a big investment and seriously limit your central monk features through lack of Ki points. Also you'd avoid doubling up on Extra Attack.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Monk/Ranger sounds like a fun mix. I think I'd probably take the first five levels in Ranger before taking any Monk, hence not delaying Extra Attack and also picking up 2nd-level spells. Then 1-4 levels in Monk, depending on what exactly I'm looking for, before going back to Ranger. Just one level means you're probably better off with no armor rather than light armor, and also makes you more of a highly-trained badass who doesn't even need weapons to fight. Two-level dip makes you more mobile and gives you Ki, the latter of which obviously lets you do all sorts of fun stuff. Three levels is in my mind the sweet spot, with Kensei being the standout pick, or Shadow Monk if you wanna free up your limited spells known. Four levels is mostly just if you're ASI-hungry, although the extra ki point lets you potentially cast your Shadow spells 2/SR if you went Shadow monk.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Multi classing in 5e has so much more appeal than 0D&D through AD&D second edition ever was IMO.

Pulled out my 5e log book and I see several potential candidates

My only Tier 3 character - Earth Genasi BM 11 - is about to go Forge Cleric after he achieves a Fighter 12 level but the MC aspect has not kicked in yet so dos not currently qualify as a MC PC.

Celestial Bladelock 4/Fighter 1 seems to be working as advertised but the Fighter Dip makes it seem like a heavily armored Bladelock more than a multi-class per se’. Which is sort of the point I think.

Forest Gnome Evoker 3/Tempest Cleric 2 has been fun especially when up casting spells from Level 1 and 2 in each class or using “channel divine” on Lightning Bolts. At this point I would say this has, so far, been my favorite MC character.

Mountain Dwarf Sorc 2/Paladin 2 is still 3 levels of Sorc away from his “sweet spot” to really evaluate adequately... Liking what I see so far.

I really at looking forward in MCing the two Level 5 Chultan Rangers from ToA into Rogue and Cleric respectively. Right now it is hard to say which one will be more fun to play.

Gives me a change from mono class Dwarf and Gnome PCs that I usually play. I like that a lot.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm way too much of a class purist to really multiclass any characters myself, though I do find some combos interesting, like a barbarian/rogue for instance.

That said, I do love my little gnome cleric/thief from the Baldur's Gate games so much...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

For me, it's arcane trickster rogue 17-19 / trickster cleric 1-3.

Focus on utility spells so Int doesn't matter, pump Dex/Wis and go all in on insight/perception/sleight of hand/stealth.

A cleric dip adds a lot to an arcane trickster that is often overlooked, IMHO.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

For me, even though I haven't played it, the idea of a Drow Shadow Sorcerer 6/Hexblade Bladelock 14 is pretty enticing.

For one, it's a pretty solid gish, able to do pretty well in the frontlines with decent armor, your main stat for attack rolls and twice that for damage rolls (depending on how you roll Hex Warrior and Lifedrinker), access to melee cantrips such as Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade and short-rest slots for key spells such as Shield and Armor of Agathys, while still being a formidable caster with a variety of ranged cantrips (Frostbite, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure, and of course Eldritch Blast) and a solid amount of crowd control spells (with the most notable exception of Evard's Black Tentacles, but that's that). However, the reason I like it is because it can act as a pet class as well; with the 6th level subclass features of both classes, I can have a Hound of Ill Omen running around with a Specter ready to contribute to the team, even if their power dwindles as you progress.

Not a Coffeelock, but it has quite the variety of tricks to its disposal. If you add the new spells and invocations from the UA, you could have it wear Heavy Armor without difficulties, while still wielding a Greatsword (which, thanks to the combination of Hex Warrior and Pact of the Blade, you can bypass the two-handed requirement and deal very solid damage), and with virtually no chance of losing concentration spells (since Sorcerers start with proficiency in Constitution saves, plus one of the ASIs will be sacrificed for War Caster, so that I can use Booming Blade or Lightning Lure as an OA). It's so chock-full of potential, solid early on (working well since 4th level, half of its main trick available since 7th) but always develops into something new and fun (with its main tricks fully developed at 12th, and maximum damage potential by 18th).

I also plan to have my next build probably be a Crown Paladin with either a Celestial or Hexblade dip. Celestial fits the theme (Scourge Aasimar + Crown Paladin) but has less synergy (several sources of healing, but still requires a high STR to function), whereas Hexblade is more optimal (Cha to attack and damage rolls) but contrasts with the theme. Either way allows for Booming Blade as OA, a good ranged cantrip in Eldritch Blast, short-rest smites at their lowest power (kinda like the UA application of Channel Divinity) and major crowd control (between War Caster + Booming Blade for the main event, Champion's Challenge CD, Spirit Guardians as an Oath spell and the Scourge Aasimar's nova mode, I can do quite a bit of damage while still exercising lockdown). Torn between either Sentinel and Tunnel Fighter (which is just an absurd combination alongside Spirit Guardians) or Dueling and Polearm Master (planning on using a Spear and Shield), though I may incline for the latter.

Regarding dips and dunks: a dip is a multiclass, no matter how deep it is. It replaces some class features for others, particularly in the intent of flavor or mechanical synergy. It uses the multiclass rules in its entirety (as in, you need to qualify by having the right ability scores) and is a deviation, albeit minor, of your class progression. Thus, it's fair to mention them as favorites, particularly if they help on a mechanical build, impart to the flavor, or both. After all, it's hard to determine where the dip ends and you effectively "dunk" into the other class; some may say that a dip is just 1 or 2 levels, since you don't sacrifice much (at best, your last ASI and/or your capstone) and most classes have their defining subclasses by 3rd level, while there's an argument that 3 levels could still be considered a dip (after all, most classes get their 9th level spells at 17th level, giving you 3 levels to play with). Yet, regardless of where the "dip" ends and a proper "dunk" begins, the fact that you'll usually still refer to the class with most levels as your "main" class still applies. Case in point: the first build I mentioned is primarily a Warlock with some Sorcerer skills, but it has 6 levels in Sorcerer, so it's a dunk by any means; however, I define it as a gish rather than a caster, and that's mostly because of its focus (most of its invocations are spent to boost melee damage, after all). A Life Cleric 1-2/Shepherd Druid 17-18 is primarily defined as a healer more than anything; Disciple of Life only requires the most minimal dip, you want to use your Cleric spells to buff, your Spirit Totem as Unicorn to take advantage of the heals, and getting Channel Divinity for Preserve Life is enough to merit getting a second level and sacrificing your ASI. Builds are best defined by function (primary and secondaries) rather than by class, since Paladins don't get Charisma to attack and damage rolls as a class feature or even subclass feature, and the only way to get that is by multiclassing - thus, a Paladin that dips even one level in Warlock for Hexblade features isn't a pure Paladin, but one probably dabbling in dark forces to gain more power, or a victim of circumstances, or perhaps even someone who's pragmatic and is willing to accept a gift without looking at who gives it.

I'd say the only reason why they shouldn't be mentioned, and that's playing for the other team, is that they're too ubiquitous - that is, since a lot of people are aware of them in these forums and understand what you get from them, counting them as "favorites" is unfair to those builds that use unusual dips or flavorful dunks. Even then, you can really ramp up the flavor by playing to their contrasts, and developing a story behind those; it's not the same to have a Paladin for all 20 levels played as an exemplar of its Oath, than a Paladin that taps into the power of dark weapons and reinforces its fighting skills, at the expense of the corruption it implies. They're two different visions, each of which can be seen through multiple lenses.

So, in short: dips that happen to be practical don't have to be boring, and hence can be favorites of people.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

19. - Top - End - #49

WolfInSheepsClothing

Tempest cleric 2/storm sorcerer X

Tempest cleric 2/evoker wizard X

Knowledge cleric 1/wizard X

Bladesinger 2/arcane trickster X (with a whip and the spell sniper feat)

Paladin 2 or 6/sorcerer or bard X

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

FOOL! Do you think I would reveal my secret builds?! you cannot trick me!! The power will remain mine!!! mine. my own. my precious.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousFizban View Post
    FOOL! Do you think I would reveal my secret builds?! you cannot trick me!! The power will remain mine!!! mine. my own. my precious.
    🤪🤣

From my last career - “A secret is compromised when a second person knows it.”

On a practical level, once it is on the table and the DM sees it - see above.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

22. - Top - End - #52

GnomeWizardGuy

Ranger 5 / Rogue X gets my vote as it makes the ranger have much better progression after level 5 :)
    It feels much more how I envision the ranger should play/feel.

(Edit: Gloom Stalker / Arcane Trickster for anyone wondering)
    Last edited by TheUser; 2019-11-14 at 10:18 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

PaladinGuy

Depends on if we're going for RP or for power. Sorlocadin is awesome if you know how to stack the levels. Vengeance paladin/ Hexblade/ Divine Soul. Cha-SADness, lots of smites and healing when I need it. Come to think of it, RP was pretty cool too.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paladinn View Post
    Depends on if we're going for RP or for power. Sorlocadin is awesome if you know how to stack the levels. Vengeance paladin/ Hexblade/ Divine Soul. Cha-SADness, lots of smites and healing when I need it. Come to think of it, RP was pretty cool too.
    Curious on what order of levels you built the character.

Edit: not interested in playing it but I know someone who might want to try it in another campaign than the one I am currently in.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2019-11-14 at 11:08 AM.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Favorite multiclass? Hmm so many ones, but a few stand out indeed.

Shadow Sorcerer / Arcane Trickster: king of ambush and deception, pairing Subtle debuffs and Magical Ambush. Great versatility thanks to great all around spells from Sorcerer (Blindness, Hold, Counterspell, Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball) and Arcane Trickster (Shield, Mirror Image, Shadow Blade). 9/11 or 11/9 are both great, depending on whether you like Reliable Talent.

Shepherd or Land Druid / Gloomstalker Ranger: don't care much about WIS (= 16 start, 18 end is fine), because you rely on a mix of environmental spells and conjure spells as well as mundane attacks.
    Mix in Tempest Cleric if you'd rather use a cool max damage on arrows and the like. 13 / 7 is a sensible choice for extra save proficiency, if you like cool arrow attacks definitely Tempest Cleric 3 / Ranger 5 or 7, rest Druid depending on archetype choice.

Divine Soul or Draconic Sorcerer / Tome Warlock: the other king of infiltration and manipulation: Subtle and Extend paired with short rest slots make a crazy powerful combo to perma Polymorph/Invis/Enhance Ability. Mix in two levels of Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action, possibly 3 for Swashbukcler's +CHA on Initiative if you really like.

Land Druid / Monk (any, although I like particularly 4e because of the big push / pull effects): 6 / 14 seems the best split to still feel playing a regular Monk, although you're missing on Empty Body which is very sad. On the plus side, you get a very satisfying array of spells both to buff yourself or to debuff enemies. In addition to non-Druid spells like Slow (Arctic), Haste (Grassland) or Misty Step and Mirror Image (Coast).
    The most efficient combination here is probably Coast or Grassland Druid with 4E. Either use Spike Growth with Thorns Whip or Unbroken Air. Or Haste/Fly (4e) yourself to herd enemies into a Plant Growth.
    Alternatives are eating a level of Druid for Life Cleric 1 (insane healing) or Arcana Cleric 1 (Booming Blade for mundane peak damage).
    Or drop Diamond Soul altogether, as sad as it is, to get 4th level spells (like Wall of Fire, also very satisfying to use) or Polymorph (which can make a nasty Monk if your DM allows Monk abilities to be used) or grab a level or two in Cleric for even more versatility.
    Anyways, one of the best synergy you could find in a dual-class.

Beastmaster Ranger 15 / Grassland Druid 5 or Life Cleric 5 or Divine Soul Sorcerer 5: idea here is to grab a dip early and some levels much later to take advantage of Share Spells ability.

Devotion Paladin / Hexblade Tome or Blade Warlock / Whispers Bard: insane damage on a very solid package. Basic is pickin Sacred Weapon, Blade mainly if you'd like to push nova even further, I myself prefer going the full versatility route. If you go Blade, best split is 3 / 7 / 10 or 4/6/10
    If you go Tome, best is 5 / 5/ 10 or 6 / 4 / 10 or even 3 / 3 / 14 depending on if you'd like to rely on Extra Attack or not, the level of rituals you want to get access to, and wether you'd like to get Simulacrum.

Fighter 1 / Rogue 2 / Bladesinger Wizard 17: basically just start dip Fighter for TWF and Constitution, pick Rogue later when you feel Cunning Action would bring big quality of life, and otherwise be a regular (great) Bladesinger Wizard.

Long Death or Drunken Monk / Bear Barbarian: a very stupid kind of tankiness. XD 14 / 6 is probably the best deal overall but only 3 rages a day. You're just a Monk with a short temper. Another more balanced split is 11 / 9. This is an unexpectedly great combination of classes that shore up each other's weaknesses. :)

Crazy one (but crazy efficient) to finish up: Fighter 2 / Devotion Paladin 3 / Hexblade Warlock 1 / Kensei Monk 14 or Fighter 3 / Devotion Paladin 3 / Hexblade Warlock 1 / Tempest Cleric 2 / Kensei Monk 11.
    Idea here is to stack as much to-hit as possible. Hexblade reduces weight of multiclass, but of course this is the case where regular human shines bright.
    It's also all over the places fluff-wise, don't even ask! XD Fighter is here for Action Surge, Paladin for Sacred Weapon (+5 CHA), Warlock for being CHA-dependant only, Kensei for the +3 for a ki. You also need to follow a specific order, and let's be honest, the +3 could have been provided by a Magic Weapon equally well.
    It's still surprisingly efficient. Start whatever you like (you'll get Diamond Soul anyways), although Paladin or straight Monk would probably be nice.
    Possibly Warlock 1 (use CHA, cantrips) -> Monk 6 -> Paladin 2 (Bless/Shield of Faith that you can cast with short rest slot too!) -> Monk 11 -> rest.
    By the time you face really crazy creatures with crazy AC, you can have 6+5+5+3 = +19 to hit. Enough to make quick work of any mundane creature up to CR 18 at least (AC-wise anyways). It does require a full turn of setup: Sharpen The Blade -> Sacred Weapon, hence the Action Surge for those that would be annoyed by that (or those that would like to top that off with a Bless XD). Not mandatory thouhg, far from it.
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2019-11-17 at 08:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Forest Gnome Evoker 3/Tempest Cleric 2 has been fun especially when up casting spells from Level 1 and 2 in each class or using “channel divine” on Lightning Bolts. At this point I would say this has, so far, been my favorite MC character.
    Two quick comments ..
    1) How do you have lightning bolt on a 3 evoker/2 tempest cleric or am I misunderstanding something? I think you'd have shatter at this point which is fun with a tempest cleric but lightning bolt comes later.

2) You were asking about a sorlockadin ... vengeance/hexblade/divine soul ... I think the usual build is something like paladin 1 / hexblade 1 or vice versa depending on whether you want heavy armor proficiency or not, followed by paladin to 6 for the aura at level 7. There is then a choice whether to take a second level of warlock for agonizing blast and a good ranged attack or start with sorcerer and add in the extra hexblade level if you want the invocations later. I find if you go variant human for the feat, the devils sight invocation comes in handy so I'd take the second hexblade level sooner rather than later after paladin 6 in that case. Also, some builds will go with PAM and take paladin to 11 for IDS using a spear/staff and shield with the dueling fighting style.

27. - Top - End - #57

PaladinGuy

Curious on what order of levels you built the character.

Edit: not interested in playing it but I know someone who might want to try it in another campaign than the one I am currently in.
    Pretty much what was suggested. Variant Human if possible for the feat. I go with PAM to get sort-of extra attack right from the start. Go with spear for versatility; you can get a glaive later if you want. VP1 for the heavy armor, 10 hp and dueling style. HB1 for CHA MADness and Shield and/or Hex, 2 for ABlast. VP 2-6 to get smites, Aura of Protection, Hunter's Mark, etc. DS the rest of the way for healing, smite fuel and Fireball, or mix it up with a few more VP levels for tankiness. And while you need a bit of STR just to MC, most everything runs off CHA.

You get a great front-liner who can tank, smite, blast, heal, and blast some more.

Have fun!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Two quick comments ..
    1) How do you have lightning bolt on a 3 evoker/2 tempest cleric or am I misunderstanding something? I think you'd have shatter at this point which is fun with a tempest cleric but lightning bolt comes later.

2) You were asking about a sorlockadin ... vengeance/hexblade/divine soul ... I think the usual build is something like paladin 1 / hexblade 1 or vice versa depending on whether you want heavy armor proficiency or not, followed by paladin to 6 for the aura at level 7. There is then a choice whether to take a second level of warlock for agonizing blast and a good ranged attack or start with sorcerer and add in the extra hexblade level if you want the invocations later. I find if you go variant human for the feat, the devils sight invocation comes in handy so I'd take the second hexblade level sooner rather than later after paladin 6 in that case. Also, some builds will go with PAM and take paladin to 11 for IDS using a spear/staff and shield with the dueling fighting style.
    My bad, LB is a future spell. Used LB with tempest cleric on an earlier MC one shot character and played well. So many test characters since discarded when restarted D&D starting to blur together.

Interesting build, will show it to my “I do not use electronics” acquaintance.

Edit. There are times my level 7 MD War Priest has had to cast multiple LBs and I really miss the tempest cleric channeling the one shot had - seems I roll a 1 for every 6 I roll. Without sculpting spells and the kamikaze fighters I play with a FB would hit as many friends as foes.
    Last edited by ZorroGames; 2019-11-18 at 09:14 PM.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paladinn View Post
    Pretty much what was suggested. Variant Human if possible for the feat. I go with PAM to get sort-of extra attack right from the start. Go with spear for versatility; you can get a glaive later if you want. VP1 for the heavy armor, 10 hp and dueling style. HB1 for CHA MADness and Shield and/or Hex, 2 for ABlast. VP 2-6 to get smites, Aura of Protection, Hunter's Mark, etc. DS the rest of the way for healing, smite fuel and Fireball, or mix it up with a few more VP levels for tankiness. And while you need a bit of STR just to MC, most everything runs off CHA.

You get a great front-liner who can tank, smite, blast, heal, and blast some more.

Have fun!
    Hope they enjoy it as much I did just reading about it. Sounds like the perfect PC for them.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

30. - Top - End - #60

PaladinGuy

Hope they enjoy it as much I did just reading about it. Sounds like the perfect PC for them.
    Glad to be of service:)