The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 120
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gandariel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Hylgia mentioned a couple times that she's ready to Plane Shift away at the first sign of danger, therefore avoiding death if the gods decide to unmake the universe.

    However, this creates some complications.
    If this is possible, since this is not the first time the gods create a dnd-like world (loki complains about this one being *another* fantasy tropes world), it should mean that every new "cycle" some high level characters manage to survive destruction, and presumably enter the next one.

    We saw how many words there are: Where are all these high level characters that could heavily swing the plot in either direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    5 gold says that Inevitables hunt down stragglers that escaped. Because why not?
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    The MunchKING's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    My question is how much "rumbling" will she actually get, versus "all the threads of reality just got pulled, all of you sitting in hard vacuum now"?

    Will she have enough advanced warning TO Plane Shift out of there?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Elemental Plane of Water

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    My personal headcanon is that once the world is unmade, all creatures/individuals quickly start to lose their physical forms as the quiddities that composed them are likewise becoming "unraveled" or "separated." Thor mentions mortals are made with quiddities from each color...presumably during the "unraveling" of the Snarl's prison, the combined colors that make up mortals are also separated and returned to their respective pantheons.

    It's probably not a perfect theory (I haven't tried too hard to poke holes in it), but to me it explains why plane-shifted mortals don't survive from world to world. Which is a shame, because I'd really love a Laser-Snail cameo!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Hylgia mentioned a couple times that she's ready to Plane Shift away at the first sign of danger, therefore avoiding death if the gods decide to unmake the universe.

    However, this creates some complications.
    If this is possible, since this is not the first time the gods create a dnd-like world (loki complains about this one being *another* fantasy tropes world), it should mean that every new "cycle" some high level characters manage to survive destruction, and presumably enter the next one.

    We saw how many words there are: Where are all these high level characters that could heavily swing the plot in either direction?
    Dead, they're all dead because it takes quite a while to wait for the Snarl to calm down, and even the people who could have made it through that are all dead after 2000+ years on this world.




    Oh and even if they aren't they're busy not knowing what's going on, or being selfish and hiding, or being evil lazy bastards and hiding, or being forced to be stuck somewhere, or doing other important things (coincidentally that's what all but at most 15 of the high-level characters in the word are doing).
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Hylgia mentioned a couple times that she's ready to Plane Shift away at the first sign of danger, therefore avoiding death if the gods decide to unmake the universe.

    However, this creates some complications.
    If this is possible, since this is not the first time the gods create a dnd-like world (loki complains about this one being *another* fantasy tropes world), it should mean that every new "cycle" some high level characters manage to survive destruction, and presumably enter the next one.

    We saw how many words there are: Where are all these high level characters that could heavily swing the plot in either direction?
    Plane shifting away doesn't makes you inmune to the effects of aging. Given the interim period, any character who has managed to plane shift away, will be dead of old age before the Gods roll the next world.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ron Miel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    I don't recall anything said about an interim period. Why would there be one? Wouldn't the gods make a new world ASAP to contain the Snarl?
    .
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

    .

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I don't recall anything said about an interim period. Why would there be one? Wouldn't the gods make a new world ASAP to contain the Snarl?
    Third panel from the end.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ron Miel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Okay, fair enough, but who says the interim period is long enough to age someone to death?
    .
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

    .

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Yirggzmb's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2018

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Okay, fair enough, but who says the interim period is long enough to age someone to death?
    I think it's mostly just an assumption. However, it's an assumption based on the fact that the interim period is long enough to potentially kill any gods who don't have enough energy stored up. It's probably a safe bet to figure that any period of time long enough to totally drain a god is probably longer than any humanoid's natural lifespan.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A dungeon

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Plane shifting away doesn't makes you inmune to the effects of aging. Given the interim period, any character who has managed to plane shift away, will be dead of old age before the Gods roll the next world.
    Except when you travel to any timeless plane, such as the Astral plane. Once you return to a plane with normal time, depending on DM, you advance to the age you would have been if you stuck around, which is basically the same.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Plane Shifting to avoid the end of the world requires knowledge of the coming end of the world. Since the Gods keep the existence of the Snarl a secret, it would really rare for anyone to be in the know except for the high priests present when the vote is cast (assuming the Snarl doesn't escape first) which would mean that only those high priests who had Plane Shift prepared would be able to escape and their resêctive patrons would probably forbid them to mess with their next creation.


    And really would they want to? The new world would be so very different from theirs they'd be considered some eldritch monster by evryone on it.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Gandariel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Re:Interim period

    Planes where time goes much slower exist, right? As do immortal creatures
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Perhaps it explains why there exists planes such as the ranch dressing one? I.e. leftovers from previous worlds (who do not remember what happened since now they're outsiders and have had their memories wiped)?

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    "They die of old age" is an easy way out, but what if a whole family (or multiple) planeshifts? They build their own demi-plane, have kids, marry, have more kids, have grandkids, and so on.

    And planeshifting doesn't require you to know the world ends. Those families of mages might have plane-shifted away to avoid constant nagging neighbors that disturb their study. Or a million other reasons.

    But yes, maybe some of the eldritch horrors are in fact remnants from previous worlds (who either don't remember it because they're just descendants) or have gone mad in the meantime. Or fully remember it, but can't make any use fo that knowledge, because the new world works on totally different principles. Or maybe once the new reality is made, they die because the new laws of reality don't support them.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by EyethatBinds View Post
    Except when you travel to any timeless plane, such as the Astral plane. Once you return to a plane with normal time, depending on DM, you advance to the age you would have been if you stuck around, which is basically the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Re:Interim period

    Planes where time goes much slower exist, right? As do immortal creatures
    Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    "They die of old age" is an easy way out, but what if a whole family (or multiple) planeshifts? They build their own demi-plane, have kids, marry, have more kids, have grandkids, and so on.

    And planeshifting doesn't require you to know the world ends. Those families of mages might have plane-shifted away to avoid constant nagging neighbors that disturb their study. Or a million other reasons.
    Oh hey look a bunch of problems that can all be solved by "Inevitables hunt them down."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-09 at 09:30 AM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Hm...You know, I wonder if this explains why Heretera, Ganonron, and Jepheton came from: No one knows them other then the fiends because they aren't FROM this world. They're from some other D&D themed world. Funnily enough, if so, that kinda proves Xykon wrong: it's possible they died to the gods destroying the world, which means they weren't "chumps without the cajones to stay in the game". No way to solve that.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Hm...You know, I wonder if this explains why Heretera, Ganonron, and Jepheton came from: No one knows them other then the fiends because they aren't FROM this world. They're from some other D&D themed world. Funnily enough, if so, that kinda proves Xykon wrong: it's possible they died to the gods destroying the world, which means they weren't "chumps without the cajones to stay in the game". No way to solve that.
    Counterpoint: Xykon is largely unknown, despite being a phenomenally powerful sorcerer lich.

    I think a world without the internet or wired communications systems just have more difficulty disseminating information to the masses.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-09 at 09:59 AM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Counterpoint: Xykon is largely unknown, despite being a phenomenally powerful sorcerer lich.

    I think a world without the internet or wired communications systems just have more difficulty disseminating information to the masses.
    True enough, but Ganonron was apparently an interdimensional conqueror of some description. You'd think someone like Tarquin would know about the guyu. And, for that matter, Hertera seems like Xykon's exact kind of people.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    True enough, but Ganonron was apparently an interdimensional conqueror of some description. You'd think someone like Tarquin would know about the guyu. And, for that matter, Hertera seems like Xykon's exact kind of people.
    What makes you think Tarquin doesn’t know Ganonron? And Xykon had never opened a history book in his life.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-11-09 at 10:44 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What makes you think Tarquin doesn’t know Ganonron. And Xykon had never opened a history book in his life.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Xykon has never opened a book in his life.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Xykon has never opened a book in his life.
    History book, said I.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    History book, said I.
    Oh I was just adding on to that point.
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-11-09 at 10:49 AM.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Xykon has never opened a book in his life.
    On the one hand, I don't want to burst your bubble, but on the other.... A significant part of the plot is entirely dependent on Xykon having read an especially difficult to read book.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    On the one hand, I don't want to burst your bubble, but on the other.... A significant part of the plot is entirely dependent on Xykon having read an especially difficult to read book.
    Blah blah, I suck at memory and whatever, I bet he could count all the books he’s read on one hand, in this comic.

    He learned to read by having an intelligence of 3+ and not being a barbarian.

    EDIT: Wait no, he read another book, ignore my link and just say one hand.
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-11-09 at 11:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    On the one hand, I don't want to burst your bubble, but on the other.... A significant part of the plot is entirely dependent on Xykon having read an especially difficult to read book.
    Counterpoint: He didn't start reading it till after he died.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    So, this is going to sound a little strange, but, assuming the world and all mortals are made up of the strands of reality provided by the multiple pantheons, would the mortals simply seize to exist? If the Gods are "collecting" the strands of reality, if they just decided to "pull" them back, wouldn't the physical bodies of all mortals vanish, with their souls then moving to the after life?
    I'm just shooting in the dark over here

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Counterpoint: He didn't start reading it till after he died.
    Sure, uh-huh, that's exactly what I meant.
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Counterpoint: He didn't start reading it till after he died.
    Counter-counter-point: IIRC, he seemed familiar with Rich Baker's work while he was still alive.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Counter-counter-point: IIRC, he seemed familiar with Rich Baker's work while he was still alive.
    Counter-counter-counter-point: Eh, not really
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also he totally knew the dude, knowing the work of one of your coworkers who exclusively seems to talk about this work seems pretty easy without needing to ever read it.

    I know you're joking here, yada-yada-yada
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "A sufficiently big wedge of cheese is indistinguishable from an aircraft."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •