New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: On Hylgia Plane Shifting out

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenius View Post
    I guess I should clarify then that when I said that there isn't an extreme scarcity of epic-level characters, I meant "you can find one if you look for one"
    Oh, I getcha. I appreciate it, that's even easier to dispute. Haley disagrees with you.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-20 at 08:48 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, I getcha. I appreciate it, that's even easier to dispute. Haley disagrees with you.
    She's looking specifically for clerics, and funnily enough, none of the epic characters that we know are clerics. And she doesn't say there are no clerics of that level - just that she doesn't think there are any.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenius View Post
    She's looking specifically for clerics, and funnily enough, none of the epic characters that we know are clerics. And she doesn't say there are no clerics of that level - just that she doesn't think there are any.
    So there isn't an extreme scarcity of epic-level characters, you can find one if you look for one, so long as it's not a cleric? That's a mighty specific argument there.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So there isn't an extreme scarcity of epic-level characters, you can find one if you look for one, so long as it's not a cleric? That's a mighty specific argument there.
    To be fair, "you can find an epic level character if you look for one" is probably at least 11 times as likely to be true as "you can find an epic level cleric if you look for one." Perhaps moreso, since high level clerics may tend to end up running churches rather than continuing to adventure.

I should also point out that Haley isn't in a great position to know whether there are any level 17+ clerics in the world. That kind of information probably isn't terribly public, and her search for a cleric who could resurrect Roy mostly consisted of wandering around the wilderness and then talking to a few people in Greysky City (plus the Oracle detour, but Belkar obviously ruined that). If you teleported to all the major cities in the world and talked with well-connected people in each of them, maybe with a few bribes, then maybe you'd be in a better position to know the prevalence of high-level or epic characters.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I don't think this follows. Gods have no way of obtaining most kinds of sustenance during the interval between worlds. Mortals on the planes, on the other hand, should have no trouble obtaining food if they have access to Plane Shift.

There's likely nothing stopping a mortal for living for decades (or centuries or longer, if they're a particularly long-lived race) in, say, Arborea, or from having mortal children and grandchildren. There is, on the other hand, something stopping newly-risen gods from being able to exist between worlds for long.
    But would magic even work after the world is destroyed? I mean, lets just flat out say Clerical Magic is right out cause the gods wouldn't bother granting it, but how about Arcane Magic? After all it's rules and format may have varied from world to world by quite a bit.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I am under no impression that epic characters are common, but in all the time the world has existed, I don't see why it should be evident that epic characters are so rare that it's impossible to have found three evil casters. It's a self-aware D&D world, and no one ever questions that high level threats exist, so why is it so unbelievable that the casters used for the splice came from this one? Only a generation ago, the Order of the Scribble was an active group of epic adventurers, surely they fought their share of epic threats. The OotS world is a world of campaigns and adventurers, and everyone knows that you gain levels by adventuring. Surely there have been enough campaigns in the past for it to be possible that those three casters were the villains of such campaigns.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-11-20 at 02:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Do we know the approximate levels of each of the high clerics at the godsmoot, based on the spells they used to attack or defend the vampires?

Edit: <joke>I am aware that “high cleric” and “highest level cleric” aren’t synonyms, but im looking for any information I can misconstrue and use to buttress my wild and otherwise unsupportable assertions. </joke>
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-11-20 at 02:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

While I agree with the premise that epic level characters are scarce, the sort of search Haley was conducting was very different from just searching for epic level clerics. She was just looking for a cleric that could ressurect Roy, so that means what? A 17+ level cleric I believe. To find one she was going from town to town looking for temples.
    Most epic level characters don't just sit around in urban areas waiting for someone to need them, they're either in their own stronghold or on some epic quest.

Granted, even if Haley was instead looking for an epic level cleric, she would likely have much more difficulty (where would she even start). Regardless of if there are any epic level clerics, I would assume there are more level 17 clerics than epic clerics.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I am pretty sure the three spliced souls are from this world's tenure. Because if they were from a past world:
    1) Their souls would have already been absorbed by the relevant outer plane, the Fiends unable to retrieve them.
    2) The Fiends wouldn't even remember them or their deeds after the mind wipe.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-11-20 at 03:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    But would magic even work after the world is destroyed? I mean, lets just flat out say Clerical Magic is right out cause the gods wouldn't bother granting it, but how about Arcane Magic? After all it's rules and format may have varied from world to world by quite a bit.
    I don't think we have enough information to answer this question, but I wouldn't assume that the gods would stop granting spells to their followers after the world was destroyed. After all, that could cause them to lose out on Worship, Dedication, and maybe even Belief. There's no plausible reason I can think of for the gods to not continue to grant spells to any remaining followers after the Snarl breaks loose.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

11. - Top - End - #161

To be fair, "you can find an epic level character if you look for one" is probably at least 11 times as likely to be true as "you can find an epic level cleric if you look for one." Perhaps moreso, since high level clerics may tend to end up running churches rather than continuing to adventure.

I should also point out that Haley isn't in a great position to know whether there are any level 17+ clerics in the world. That kind of information probably isn't terribly public, and her search for a cleric who could resurrect Roy mostly consisted of wandering around the wilderness and then talking to a few people in Greysky City (plus the Oracle detour, but Belkar obviously ruined that). If you teleported to all the major cities in the world and talked with well-connected people in each of them, maybe with a few bribes, then maybe you'd be in a better position to know the prevalence of high-level or epic characters.
    To be even more fair "You can find an epic level character if you look for one and they don't have to be currently alive." Is even more likely than "You can find an epic level character if you look for one."
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-11-20 at 06:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

Lizardfolk

I don't think we have enough information to answer this question, but I wouldn't assume that the gods would stop granting spells to their followers after the world was destroyed. After all, that could cause them to lose out on Worship, Dedication, and maybe even Belief. There's no plausible reason I can think of for the gods to not continue to grant spells to any remaining followers after the Snarl breaks loose.
    Maybe they don't give new clerics (ie children of planar exiles) spells so their expenditure slowly spins down. As for arcane magic: pretty sure the Gods control that too, only they can be a bit harsher because arcane magic is a bunch of bug exploits to divine magics published cheat codes.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    Granted, even if Haley was instead looking for an epic level cleric, she would likely have much more difficulty (where would she even start). Regardless of if there are any epic level clerics, I would assume there are more level 17 clerics than epic clerics.
    I mean, unless someone purposely went through wiping out the level 17 clerics for some reason, there probably are.

14. - Top - End - #164

HalflingRogueGuy

I don't recall Haley having trouble locating a 17th level cleric during the “Don’t Split the Party” storyline?

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I don't recall Haley having trouble locating a 17th level cleric during the “Don’t Split the Party” storyline?
    Panel 5. Cheers!

16. - Top - End - #166

HalflingRogueGuy

Panel 5. Cheers!
    Sure, but Belkar helped her find one. In the same panel, even!
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-12-12 at 03:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167

Belkar helped
    Haley would dispute that. In the same panel, even!

ETA: Also, there's no indication Redcloak was 17th level at that time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-12 at 03:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

HalflingRogueGuy

Haley would dispute that. In the same panel, even!

ETA: Also, there's no indication Redcloak was 17th level at that time.
    Good point! RedCloak wasn’t “known” to be a 17th level cleric until 826.

Can someone help me remember why I’m arguing in the first place? Something about planeshift?
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-12-12 at 05:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Good point! RedCloak wasn’t “known” to be a 17th level cleric until 826.

Can someone help me remember why I’m arguing in the first place? Something about planeshift?
    I would say that it’s pretty obvious Redcloak didn’t reach 17th level until 826: he explicitly mentions his “new spell level”.

20. - Top - End - #170

Tonsies of funsies?

21. - Top - End - #171

HalflingRogueGuy

Tonsies of funsies?
    Oh yeah! That’s right.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

With regards to memory wipe and time etc
    I’m pretty sure there was a post by the Giant that the world was created already with grown creatures with false memories
    Specifically with regards to Familicde and there being mature black dragons since this world has been around for less time then it would have taken for a dragon to reach ancient age category from egg stage
    Extrapolating that to the outer planes one would assume that at the start they weren’t empty of dead souls as the outsiders would get suspicious
    So maybe the gods left some souls from previous worlds who were then shaped into the equivalent for this iteration - so an evil corp exec with top range cyberware would be turned into an evil epic caster
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    With regards to memory wipe and time etc
    I’m pretty sure there was a post by the Giant that the world was created already with grown creatures with false memories
    Specifically with regards to Familicde and there being mature black dragons since this world has been around for less time then it would have taken for a dragon to reach ancient age category from egg stage
    Nothing about false memories (which I never even thought would have been the case), at least in the Famulicide bit.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

1.) The people created at the moment of the planet's creation were all unrelated to each other, or perhaps only related in small groups—a family of 5 or 10 might have been created, but with no relation to all the other families being simultaneously created. Why? Because.
    If you create a family that suggests some in that family are older - which by necessity means false memories
    Add in that some of those families are dragons adults are going to be hundreds of years old
    And I refer you to my point about the outer planes being empty of petitioners being unlikely
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    1.) The people created at the moment of the planet's creation were all unrelated to each other, or perhaps only related in small groups—a family of 5 or 10 might have been created, but with no relation to all the other families being simultaneously created. Why? Because.
    If you create a family that suggests some in that family are older - which by necessity means false memories
    Add in that some of those families are dragons adults are going to be hundreds of years old
    And I refer you to my point about the outer planes being empty of petitioners being unlikely
    Emphasis mine.

No, it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure an adult can understand the concept of having been poofed into existence five minutes ago fully grown by a literal god. Unless you're counting basic life skills being programmed into them as being false memories, I guess.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-12-29 at 12:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Flumph

Who is Hylgia?

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Who is Hylgia?
    Ya know, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.

28. - Top - End - #178

Ya know, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out.
    I on the other hand notice how often so many people consistently misspell it like that and I have no clue why.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).