The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Recommend dumb fun movies?

I'm having some friends over in about eight hours to celebrate my birthday. I want to have some beers and watch something silly and fun. Something in the vein of Friday the 13th, Batman vs TMNT, the Italian horrorgore Demons, the original Fright Night, The Expendables, The Lost Boys...

Something like that. Got any recommendations for me?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Recommend dumb fun movies?

I'm getting a dumb action horror vibe, but not an excessively dumb action horror vibe. Something at least a little bit smarter than Sharknado.

So, in the just slightly smarter than Sharknado category, and in the technically not a movie (2 hours in 4 episodes as a miniseries, structured in a very movie like way) category is a little gem by the name of Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman.

I found it by searching netflix for "vs." in the hopes of finding deeply trashy movies, and I was not disappointed. This was probably the least trashy of them, with the notable exception of Chuck Norris vs. Communism.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Big Trouble in Little China. Doesn't get much better when it comes to dumb, silly action.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

On a slightly different note, I recommend The Road to El Dorado.

Completely silly, hilarious and fun, with great music and visuals.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Last Action Hero is great!
    Homebrew Stuff:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Big Trouble in Little China. Doesn't get much better when it comes to dumb, silly action.
    I would second this, and raise by one "The Princess Bride" (although admittedly that fails on the "dumb" bit").

Also, Kung Fu Hustle and the Cutie Honey live-action movie certianly play the fun and dumb cards.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #7

ElfRangerGuy

If you're a fan of SciFi, then Traumshiff Surprise is a dumb and silly parody on just about any SciFi movie. It's in german, but there are versions with subtitles out there.
    Another one are the Kevin Smith movies. Things like Dogma or Jay and Silent Bob strike back.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It's not "dumb", but for sheer exuberant fun, I strongly recommend The Great Race.

Perfect gallant good guy dressed all in white (Tony Curtis as Leslie Gallant III) vs. nasty melodramatic bad guy with mustache dressed all in black (Jack Lemmon as Professor Fate).

It has the greatest pie fight ever filmed -- a giant melee with romantic implications, political implications, royal implications, racing implications, Jack Lemmon falling into a giant cake (twice), and kings real and fake.

Lots of movies have great fencing. Even more movies have great tavern brawls. A very few movies have great pie fights.

But only The Great Race has it all.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    The Last Action Hero is great!
    Dammit, Lemmy, I saw the title and jumped in here to recommend Last Action Hero!

For one nobody's suggested yet, Shaolin Soccer. The movie fully embraces how ridiculous it is and is all the better for it.

Also, Dale and Tucker vs Evil. For a "drink beer and watch something dumb and fun with friends" night, not much is going to top that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-11 at 08:18 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed
    In a Forum full of dorks, you are truly King Dork. Long may you reign!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Pacific Rim. So awesome, so dumb, with a soundtrack by the guy who did Iron Man and Game of Thrones.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Most Jackie Chan movies, the Austin Powers series, The Hangover series

And since I already included lowbrow juvenile humour with Austin Powers, might as well recommend Eurotrip, and the 2 Deadpool movies
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-11-11 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Deadpool

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Most Jackie Chan movies
    Ehhhh, not really, and I say this as a huge Jackie Chan fan. He's made way more movies than most people would really believe, and a good bit of them wouldn't really fit here, despite most of them still being comedies. Virtually all of the old ones, for example, (like Half a Loaf of Kung Fu or Spiritual Kung Fu) are simply not very good unless you just really want to see everything he's made, and a lot of the biggest, most famous ones (like Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon) were made in Hollywood where Jackie doesn't have the sheer amount of creative control that he enjoyed with Golden Harvest productions, and that's apparent when you compare them.

Most of the quasi-well-known Golden Harvest movies would fit, like Project A or the Police Story series, but they can be confusing since the names got really weird and confusingly changed when they came to America - for example, Police Story 4 got renamed Jackie Chan's First Strike, and Police Story 3 got renamed as Supercop, which means it's needlessly overcomplicated to tell whether a movie is in the Police Story series or whether it's a standalone movie where Jackie Chan happens to also play a policeman (such as Rumble in the Bronx). Or how America decided, and I'm completely serious about this, to rename his movies such that there exists Armor of God 2: Operation Condor as well as Operation Condor 2: The Armor of God. That's legit, I'm telling you. And even when the naming isn't all sorts of ridiculous, you can come across movies like Heart of Dragon, which is very much a drama.

For Jackie Chan movies, the one I'd recommend most for this thread is Robin B. Hood, and I am 100% completely serious about that. Click that link. Look at it. Look at how obviously terrible that movie has to be. At how there is no way in hell that can be anywhere close to good, let alone watchable. And yet it's not only actually a really good watch and way better than that DVD cover art has any business being, it also is the basis of one of the best stories I have with my best friend and his wife (she is also a massive Jackie Chan fan, so we regularly nerd out when we find really obscure movies locally on DVD).

Spoiler: MASSIVE spoiler for Robin B Hood, but a great story if you don't care about that
    Show
    So we pop the disc in and we're all prepared for the worst Jackie Chan movie in recent memory. Like, we've actually pumped ourselves up for how bad it was going to be and were completely prepared for it, because take another moment and look at that DVD cover art again. LOOK AT IT. THAT HAD TO BE A TERRIBLE MOVIE. In what ****ed up world would a good movie have that as the cover art? In our world, that's where. We were all totally suckered in and were blown away by it being actually kinda good. It was a fantastic experience; if you watch a jmovie you're excited to be good and its bad then you're disappointed, but if you're watching a movie expecting it to be bad and it's good? That's just too cool.

Anyway, my friend and his wife, let's call them Al and Amy, are enjoying it just as much as I am, but Al had to go to work soon. We thought we'd all have time before he had to leave, but the movie is cutting it super close. He's getting dressed and laying out everything he needs to take while watching the movie, he doesn't want to stop but he doesn't want to be late. Anyway, Jackie Chan and his friend surrender the baby and the jig is up, their crimes are out and they're captured by the police. Al is so anxious because of how soon he needs to leave, and we're obviously so tantalizingly close to the end, he's gotta see how it ends! Next scene, we see Jackie Chan tied to a stake, blindfold on, to the sounds of a firing squad gearing up. Camera pans out, you see the firing squad. Al looks like he's been holding in his bladder for 2 days, he's almost dancing with anticipation at having to leave right now but trying to watch the final scene. And it's dark, they're about to kill the guy, which they were teasing through the whole movie! And then they do it! They shoot, he slumps over limp, and Al books it.

And, as the door closes behind him, the camera continues to pan out as we hear a docent explaining how that was what criminal justice used to look like in China not too long ago, as the realization dawns on the viewer that Jackie Chan's punishment was community service and he was acting in a historical re-enactment for schoolchildren.

AND AL DID NOT KNOW THIS.

Al 100% completely thought the movie ended on a real downer, that the guy we've been rooting for the whole time actually died. And because of how they did tease that throughout the movie, and because of how it had already bucked our expectations, he totally bought into it! So Amy and I do the only reasonable thing we can think of for Al, who we both love dearly; namely, we absolutely refuse to tell him the real ending and let him believe that Jackie Chan just got executed and the credits rolled and that was it. For years we would occasionally bring up that one really good movie with the super depressing ending, any time it could be brought up organically it was. More years pass. Eventually, nearly a decade later, Al has a birthday party at a Texas de Brazil, we've got a table for 16, it's chock full of friends and we're having an absolute blast. And I can't remember how it came up, but somehow the topic got to in-jokes, and I commented that Amy and I had the best in-joke on Al for just the longest time, and I explained the whole thing just like here, and I turn to Al at the end and say, "how long was it before we told you?" And Al, who had been laughing along to the story the whole time, just looked me straight in the eyes and with this playful rage in his eyes blurted out,"RIGHT NOW!" It had been going so long we both forgot to actually tell him, and for the better part of 9 years he believed that Jackie Chan made a movie where they just dusted him in the end.

I think he laughed harder than all of us when he said, "right now." And that was no small feat.

I, uh... I can talk a lot about Jackie Chan movies.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-11 at 10:04 PM.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Show

Show
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

For dumb fun? With a seeming horror bent?

Got to recommend the Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight movie.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Dead Snow and Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead
    Horror comedies about Nazi zombies and Nazi zombies vs Red Army zombies, respectively.

15. - Top - End - #15

PirateGirl

Iron Sky. The Wandering Earth. Train to Busan. I'm not sure if these have dubbed versions. They're all foreign movies, though.

Speaking of Jackie Chan, Wheels on Meals is a good one.

I'm not sure I can think of many others people haven't already mentioned somewhere, but Tucker and Dale vs Evil deserves a seconding, if you haven't seen it already.

Edit: Shoot 'Em Up
    Last edited by BeerMug Paladin; 2019-11-12 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Forgot a good one
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

So far in n the thread and noone mentions Kung-Pow: Enter the fist?

It has action, it's really dumb and really really funny

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    So far in n the thread and noone mentions Kung-Pow: Enter the fist?

It has action, it's really dumb and really really funny
    And in a similar fashion, Kung Fury which is a different kind of silly martial arts movie.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I know itís too late, so this is just commentary.

Fun and dumb, and in the vein of some non-serious horror movies, and nobody suggested The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Iím ... the only Boomer here, arenít I?

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    Edit: Shoot 'Em Up
    Oh man, Shoot 'Em Up is pretty much over-the-top cheesy action incarnate. Great recommendation for this thread.

Show

Show
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

@Peelee, that story was absolutely fantastic, thanks for sharing! XD
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

21. - Top - End - #21

Kung Pow is my go-to for stupid fun movies. I'll also second Kung Fury, and on that budget level, The FP 2 is on Amazon and I can't recommend it enough for fans of weird (it's a post-apocalyptic DDR movie, but stranger than that makes it sound).

I'll also mention the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, a loving tribute to terrible 50s sci-fi. There's a sequel that's pretty good too, but the original is just magic!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Your Highness is definitely worth a watch!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I would say 'Santa's Slay' would likely fit your requirements.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I know itís too late, so this is just commentary.

Fun and dumb, and in the vein of some non-serious horror movies, and nobody suggested The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

Iím ... the only Boomer here, arenít I?
    There are aspects in which it really hasn't aged well.

Also maybe, though this forum skews pretty old.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm over thirty and I know a decent population on here older than me. Though I guess I'm technically still a millennial.
    I solemnly swear,
    To devote my life and abilities,
    In defence of the United Nations of Earth,
    To defend the Constitution of Man,
    And to further the universal rights of all sentient life.
    From the depths of the pacific, to the edge of the galaxy.
    For as long as I shall live.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Nobody mentioned Split Second' yet ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Strange Brew. Warning: This movie is most funny after 2 am.

Ladykillers. The 1955 version.

5th Element. Fun and dumb. Does suffer from "Born Sexy Yesterday", but still pretty fun. Joan Rivers kills it as Corbin's mom.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Is Monty Python off the table? What about Muppet movies?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Joan Rivers kills it as Corbin's mom.
    Wait, Joan Rivers was in it?! I guess there's just too much hammy characters that I missed her of all people.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Wait, Joan Rivers was in it?! I guess there's just too much hammy characters that I missed her of all people.
    We never see her, just hear her voice over the phone.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season