*Big Trouble in Littke China
    *Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist
    *Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    *Superhero Movie
    *Paranormal Movie
    *Death At A Funeral
    *It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
    *Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Recommend dumb fun movies?

Oh do I have the movie for you. "Tucker and Dale Versus Evil".

You know how in horror movies the characters are always oblivious to all the signs that, well, they're in a horror movie? Turns out that the opposite can be just as bad: a bunch of stupid college teens mistake a pair of friends (Tucker and Dale) for killer hillbillies out for their blood, and their increasingly desperate attempts to save themselves from the horror story they think they're in (and some truly bad luck as far as miscommunications) end up killing them off one by one, as Tucker and Dale try to figure out what the hell is happening.

EDIT: Or for something cornier, check out "Knights of Badassdom". A group of LARPers manage to summon an actual succubus from Hell. Oops.

And I'm sure somebody's already mentioned Sharknado, but if not.... Note that you have to make it to the end, because the ending really does save the rest of the movie, changing it from "so bad it's bad" to "so bad it's awesome".
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-11-14 at 09:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

I absolutely adore Sucker Punch, despite my family and friends and significant others trying to institutionalize me for my obsession with it. It's a bit more surreal and hard to follow the first dozen times you watch it, but it tries to turn your brain off due to the subject matter of the story.

Trick r' Treat is a great anthology film, you can really tell the film makers just really love their old school slasher movies. I've stolen more then a few elements from that movie for horror pretenses in TTRPGs before too.

Cabin in the Woods is probably something everyone has thought of and just forgot to bring up.

If you are looking for so bad it's hilarious, in the Navy my friends and I had a tradition of watching I Know Who Killed Me, staring Lindsey Lohan playing twins separated at birth. One is a coked out stripper/hooker and the other is a perfectly innocent high schooler, and it's up to the Stripper to solve her sisters murder in progress before it kills her due to sympathetic twin syndrome while no one believes she is NOT the perfect High schooler.

If that doesn't sell you for how bizarrely abstract it's relationship with internal logic is, I don't know what you are looking for. Did I mention the stripper is Cyborg before the end of the first reel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Evil Dead films. ESPECIALLY Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness and the obscure Evil Dead: The Musical

EDIT:
    also Dudes and Dragons and Curse of the Dragonslayer

EDIT:
    Also pretty much any movie by Mel Brooks, any movie with Leslie Nielson, and especially Dracula: Dead and Loving It, which has both of them
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2019-11-15 at 01:23 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

I don't know how I forgot to mention it before, but Dead Alive / Brain Dead. The best Peter Jackson film.

Maximum Overdrive is of the so bad it's good territory. It's just so, so stupid it's kind of admirable.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

300 is my guilty pleasure.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

7. - Top - End - #37

Zombieland.
    Hot Fuzz.
    Pacific Rim.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Hot Fuzz.
    Do the whole "Cornetto Trilogy".

Shawn of the Dead.
    Hot Fuzz.
    World's End.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

While stuck in a hotel last week, I found myself desperately needing something to watch and landed on Death Race.

It's a remake of a Roger Corman movie that is itself a Roger Corman movie. It has Jason Statham playing Jason Statham. And it has cars armed with various ridiculous heavy weaponry.

It is both AWFUL and AWESOME. Perfect MST3K material where the setting doesn't make sense, the plot doesn't make sense, and both the heroes and the villains are idiots. There's just fast cars and lots of explosions.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Equilibrium is a masterpiece of dumb cinema. It's staggeringly well made for all the core concept is kind of dumb, the action scenes especially are incredible, and while it does try to get philosophical it doesn't do so annoyingly. Hilariously, but not annoyingly.

Basically, picture The Matrix meets Fahrenheit 451.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2019-11-23 at 09:25 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Equilibrium is a masterpiece of dumb cinema. It's staggeringly well made for all the core concept is kind of dumb, the action scenes especially are incredible, and while it does try to get philosophical it doesn't do so annoyingly. Hilariously, but not annoyingly.

Basically, picture The Matrix meets Fahrenheit 451.
    Equilibrium is fantastic, but they kept describing gun kata as "fluid," when that's not the word I'd have used. Geometric, maybe angular, but not fluid.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Equilibrium is fantastic, but they kept describing gun kata as "fluid," when that's not the word I'd have used. Geometric, maybe angular, but not fluid.
    I'd straight up use the phrase "staccato". On the other hand, Matrix meets Fahrenheit 451.

Plus, the decision to go staccato instead of angular makes the strobelight firefight scene just fantastic.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2019-11-23 at 11:16 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    I don't know how I forgot to mention it before, but Dead Alive / Brain Dead. The best Peter Jackson film.
    Seconding Brain Dead/Dead Alive. Some scenes may ruin your appetite however. Peter Jackson's early works have a fairly different style to the Lord of The Rings.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMug Paladin View Post
    Best? When Meet the Feebles exists, that is a big call.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The first Mythica movie. So stupid, such low production value, it's hilarious. One of the major villains is CGI and thus can't actually be shown on screen at the same time as any of the live-acted characters. Which wouldn't be such a problem if he wasn't a troll that spends almost his entire screen time smacking them around. Ironically, the later movies actually improved enough to push themselves out of 'so bad it's good' territory, making them not nearly as fun.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-12-01 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Three idiots in bollywood --- An old fun movies.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Mystery Science Theater 3000, but not necessarily the film version. It gives movie badness the fun it deserves.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Street Fighter. Raul Julia as M. Bison, Jean Claude Van Damme as Guile, it's absolute high cheese in the most delightful way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #50

for the holidays:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians- After being abducted by aliens because the martian children don't have any toys, Santa Claus becomes involved in a power struggle between two factions vying for control of mars

Bam Margera: Presents Where the #$&% Is Santa- Pro skateboarder and daredevil Bam Margera searches the arctic for Santa Claus with the help of a collection of rock stars.

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #51

Well, the movie recommendations were due by 2:30PM CST on November 9, so any further recommendations are just for fun. However...

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    for the holidays:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians- After being abducted by aliens because the martian children don't have any toys, Santa Claus becomes involved in a power struggle between two factions vying for control of mars

Bam Margera: Presents Where the #$&% Is Santa- Pro skateboarder and daredevil Bam Margera searches the arctic for Santa Claus with the help of a collection of rock stars.
    You're going to pull out Christmas movies and not go with Santa with Muscles?

Spoiler: Yes, this will spoil the movie, but you REALLY want to read the insanity, I promise.
    Show
    Hulk Hogan is an evil millionaire who contracts amnesia while playing personal combat wargames with his household staff and accidentally attacks the police. Upon waking, an unscrupulous mall elf convinces Hogan that he is Santa, in order to try to make a petty theft from the most secure ATM in the country using Hogan's bank card. Absolutely nobody else recognizes him, and he stops thieves from making out with maybe eight dollars in change for the local orphanage, which has three orphans. He personally delivers the money, and on a tour of the orphanage is introduced to a locked vault door, behind which are the the catacombs that the orphanage sits on top of. The famed catacombs of Southern California.

There is another evil millionaire (hereafter referred to as the evil millionaire) who has bought up all the property surrounding the orphanage and is trying to buy the orphanage, which refuses to sell. The millionaire (who, I should note, is germaphobic. There is no particular reason to note this, but the movie does anyway, so I will too) wants access to the catacombs, because they contain highly unstable yet very pretty and colorful crystals. In order to force the orphanage to sell, the evil millionaire sends three evil scientists (my favorite being the evil geologist) to attack the orphanage. They are fought off by Hulk Hogan, who then regains his memory, and then separately remembers he himself was an orphan in this very orphanage, and he knows the code to the vault and can access the catacombs. The evil millionaire then goes into the catacombs as well, demonstrates how unstable the crystals are by dropping one to the floor where it explodes, and the two millionaires immediately proceed to sword fight with the crystals. The crystals that violently explode on the impact of being dropped four feet.

Hogan defeats the evil millionaire, who then remembers that he also was an orphan who grew up in that very orphanage, and both millionaires remember they were actually best friends in the orphanage. Evil millionaire is arrested along with the evil scientists, but the orphanage is destroyed by the crystals all exploding. Hogan opens his mansion to the orphans - which is to say, he does not adopt them, he just lets them stay there since the magic crystals in the catacombs blew their orphanage up.

22. - Top - End - #52

Swiss army man.

Drunken Master.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, the movie recommendations were due by 2:30PM CST on November 9, so any further recommendations are just for fun. However...

You're going to pull out Christmas movies and not go with Santa with Muscles?

Spoiler: Yes, this will spoil the movie, but you REALLY want to read the insanity, I promise.
    Show
    Hulk Hogan is an evil millionaire who contracts amnesia while playing personal combat wargames with his household staff and accidentally attacks the police. Upon waking, an unscrupulous mall elf convinces Hogan that he is Santa, in order to try to make a petty theft from the most secure ATM in the country using Hogan's bank card. Absolutely nobody else recognizes him, and he stops thieves from making out with maybe eight dollars in change for the local orphanage, which has three orphans. He personally delivers the money, and on a tour of the orphanage is introduced to a locked vault door, behind which are the the catacombs that the orphanage sits on top of. The famed catacombs of Southern California.

There is another evil millionaire (hereafter referred to as the evil millionaire) who has bought up all the property surrounding the orphanage and is trying to buy the orphanage, which refuses to sell. The millionaire (who, I should note, is germaphobic. There is no particular reason to note this, but the movie does anyway, so I will too) wants access to the catacombs, because they contain highly unstable yet very pretty and colorful crystals. In order to force the orphanage to sell, the evil millionaire sends three evil scientists (my favorite being the evil geologist) to attack the orphanage. They are fought off by Hulk Hogan, who then regains his memory, and then separately remembers he himself was an orphan in this very orphanage, and he knows the code to the vault and can access the catacombs. The evil millionaire then goes into the catacombs as well, demonstrates how unstable the crystals are by dropping one to the floor where it explodes, and the two millionaires immediately proceed to sword fight with the crystals. The crystals that violently explode on the impact of being dropped four feet.

Hogan defeats the evil millionaire, who then remembers that he also was an orphan who grew up in that very orphanage, and both millionaires remember they were actually best friends in the orphanage. Evil millionaire is arrested along with the evil scientists, but the orphanage is destroyed by the crystals all exploding. Hogan opens his mansion to the orphans - which is to say, he does not adopt them, he just lets them stay there since the magic crystals in the catacombs blew their orphanage up.
    I think reading that synopsis just gave me a stroke.

Another fun (and terrible) Hulk hogan movie is Three Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain, with added Jim Varney wackiness. Idiotic criminals attack an amusement park and get their butts kicked by pre-teen martial artists (and Hulk Hogan). So bad it's good at its finest.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I think reading that synopsis just gave me a stroke.
    I wish I could say I was joking about this: there's a fair bit that I skipped over, which is equally ridiculous. For example, when we first see the evil scientists they are intimidating a man being held upside down, and the geologist - who is just the best, because really, how can you be an evil geologist? Like, there's a physicist (I imagine, they don't really go into detail) who creates electro-gauntlets and shocks people. That I get. But the geologist? He goes up to the hanging guy and takes a brush, brushes the guy's face, and says "you would make an interesting fossil." Like, what the hell kind of intimidation is that?!? What, are you going to look at rocks maliciously? Evil geologist is a teddy bear trying to be a bad guy, and it's hilarious.

Or Hulk Hogan, who is billed as the richest man in three states, made his fortune on products that have his face plastered all over them, but absolutely nobody except the elf recognizes him, and that's counting a news crew who interviews him as well as everyone who watched the news cast!

And there's more. There's so much more. This movie is not just bad, it transcends terribleness. It is a masterpiece of crap.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-05 at 11:09 AM.