New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default [IC] Iron and Ice: the Fjarrstrand Sagas [BoL]

A play-by-post using Chris Perkin’s The Fjarrstrand Sagas, a fantasy Norse hack of Barbarians of Lemuria.

Players:
    • MrStereo1 playing Thorgrim the Wisened, Austrmen warrior/magician/sailor/noble
    • Tibbius playing Big Guthlaf, Austrmen warrior/sailor/skald/seer
    • roryb, GM

Recruitment Thread
    OOC Thread

2. - Top - End - #2

Beholder

Default Re: [IC] Iron and Ice: the Fjarrstrand Sagas [BoL]

The small wide-beamed longship cut its way westward from the mud flats along the lightly wooded coast toward the Vestrmark. Twelve oars on a side dipped and pulled tirelessly in perfect unison. The Austrmen commonly held silence on sorties to raid its enemies and rivals, and then joined in song when they returned to their respective halls, particularly if the pillaging was good. This easily marked a ship and its endeavors or exploits. However, this small ship’s guarded quietude was limned with a palpable nameless dread.

During the frigid Gormánuður night before the grim crew’s launch, the Heimþegar’s men brought a frostbitten man on the edge of madness into the hall. Thorgrim and Guthlaf recognized him as a trusted young thegn of Hrothulf the Shrewd, an ally and proven friend with a small holding in the western frontier. The skald and crow knew Hrothulf well, and in fact Thorgrim owed him a boon. The wet and shivering man was discovered adrift and towed in. Thought dead at first, young Beow was still alive and raved like a madman. Little reason could they drag from his blue lips.

“The heks has returned!” were the only words the man could recite with any clarity or conviction.

The next morning fourteen hardened warriors and seamen issued from the Eyflod toward Vilthold. Normally the journey consisted of three days to the west during long summer days. However, longer winter nights extended the journey to five. The seas were angry and the bitter north winds fierce. The first day of the trek was easily navigable. These were the flat coasts of the krigers’ familiar territory with few enough hazards to ensnare a small craft. Beyond this boundary came the wilder coasts with its dwarfing fjords, jutting rock, and razored shoals, some of these hazards found surprisingly and unpredictably far from the coast.

Before beaching at the approaching dusk on the fourth day, it was Guthlaf who at first spotted a serpent head in the sea. Revealed momentarily between surges, a ship floundered, borne on the rough current. When it was revealed again many hundred yards out to sea, its singular sail was in tattered shreds and no sign of bristling oars were seen extending from its sides.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is your ship and crew, to command as you see fit! I chose a Karve for its size and purpose. We'll assume you each have a tough, and an additional crew of a dozen rabble. (16 in total, counting yourselves)

3. - Top - End - #3

"Uncle, do we try to take a tow on that carcass of a ship and beach it beside us?" Guthlaf deferred to Thorgrim as always. But his eager avarice showed clearly on his face. He had no thought of danger, only the potential for loot.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    LISTENING to a VANISHED GOD
    Mythistorical bundle

4. - Top - End - #4

Thorgrim was glaring at the ill omen that greeted the end of his homeward journey when his nephew's words broke him from his stupor. "Aye! Make for the wreck, men!" Thorgrim ordered the shipmates, shouting over the winds. "It's cruel luck to the man who turn away strangers in need while begging the Gods for mercy. Bring any survivors aboard."

Show

What'd you make of a Minor Cantrip to help a thrown rope find any survivors in the dark, assuming there are any? Or would that be a First Magnitude Spell?
    Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

The small crew heaved, fighting the demonic chop of waves. Closer and closer the lost ship drew, until a rise put the companions’ own karve in a perfect vantage to see within. The drifting ship was completely devoid of crew and cargo. Some signs of damage may have been recent, but no mortal untouched by the gift of seeing could know for certain.

“`Tis empty,” growled Wiglaf above the howl of wind. To the crew, he commanded, “Turn about! This was foolish from the start!”

It was not the first time the grandson of Hrothulf dictated the actions of the company on that expedition. The crew, uncertain of who to listen to hesitated. Thorgrim and Guthlaf has been given command by the Heimþegar, but Wiglaf’s birthright had marked him higher. It was also his grandsire and his holdings at stake, but neither had he curried favor among the crew, who clearly harbored no love for him.
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-11-10 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added last sentence

6. - Top - End - #6

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    can a seer burn a fate point to get knowledge of a true fact that they wouldn't otherwise know?
    "Aedha," Guthlaf asked as softly as the howling wind and chilling sea spray would allow, "what happened to that ship? Why is it empty?"
    Show
    or would this just be a seer career roll?
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-11-10 at 02:38 PM.
    Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
    Mythistorical bundle

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

Show
    The Seer options are rather vague, but I’m thinking they should adhere to the vibe, involving weird rituals, reading of entrails, etc. I would say it should normally involve time, etc. As a GM, I would use it as an excuse to feed some plot in a more inconvenient or intriguing way more unpredictably, leaving the more beneficial uses for characters to use and dictate through skill tests and Fate.

I’m kind of torn. The examples are rather vague and doesn’t help me with how Fate Points are supposed to work. As a GM, I really like the opportunity to feed weird stuff to you. With your kind indulgence, I’ll go ahead and do that here without need to deal with Fate.

Aedha stowed her oar and fixed her gaze on the oddly abandoned vessel. She produced a small glazed stone and drew her dagger. Pricking her finger, she smudged her blood and spittle which quickly mixed with sea spray. The other oarsmen hadn’t taken notice of the young woman’s actions. Her eyes rolled into her head and her long hair whipped into her face, veiling her drawn look.

She quickly snapped out of her strange reverie. Her pale face became suddenly drawn and white. Speaking lowly back, “I saw men in terror...a skirmish, or something terrible tossing them into the sea!”

8. - Top - End - #8

"Thanks!" grunted Guthlaf. Looking at the sky, he saw the sun still half above horizon, painting the cold blue expanse with streaks of red and golden clouds. Moving quickly, he pulled together Witlaf and Thorgrim. "Some fell creature stripped that ship," he said grimly. "Aedha saw. It's an ill omen that the wreck still floats here. It may mark the creature's lair. We should beach away, another mile along the shore."
    Mythistorical bundle

9. - Top - End - #9

At their questioning looks at Wiglaf's command Thorgrim nodded curtly to the ship's men. There was nothing to be done for the poor souls here and it wouldn't do to invite conflict among themselves so early. Once they'd made it ashore he'd have a word with the lad's grandfather to sort out whose commands the men should heed above others.

As Guthlaf spoke of his... apprentice's vision Thorgrim's eyes darken. "A creature mighty enough to face a longship and it's crew could threaten the hold's lifeblood. There may be wisdom to your wish nephew, but we would risk much to strike at the weapon of our true foe. It can be no mere chance that this beast, whatever it may be, comes to us with the Heks' return. We must be mindful of our true foe and seek to end them above all else lest they escape our wroth hiding behind their thralls." The old man looks out upon the rowing men, his nephew and the stubborn young noble in their midst.

"You young-bloods have spared me the wear of rowing through these storms so I leave the choice to you. I'll swing sword and spell if you believe now is the time, but no man can question your courage for not seeking an unknown foe in a wild sea after days of hard sailing."
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-11-11 at 05:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Beholder

The grumblings among the stoic but weary men acquiesced that tomorrow’s renewed strength and the light of day promised a better fate than to brave tameless and trackless sea in hopeless search of the unknown. Only Wiglaf dissented.

“Do you fear a sea beast?” he scoffed at them. “Very well! I see the blood runs cooler among my eastern brethren where in their stead my grandsire’s folk died bravely with fire in their breast! So be it...”

The ship turned to find a safe place to beach for the cold night, finding a narrow cove just before the dining of the late gray light. Camp was made, shelters erected, and four men wandered into the dark forest to hunt. The spirits of the men were more filled with dread than before. They veiled their fears behind mirthless whispers and wary masks. Many of their flickering eyes returned to the singular woman who followed Guthlaf. Aedha for her part fell into fearful silence, even abandoning her common playful teasing and doting over Guthlaf. More than one furtive whisper of witch from among the men met the tall skald’s ears.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Let's have a song to cheer us," Guthlaf shouted after a while. He brought out his harp and struck a few chords. Then he began to chant a refrain in Alfsöngr, loa ily nianu, the Song of the Witch Queen. After a few repeats he switched to Gotrtung and began the long cheerful story of the Witch who brought plenty in olden days, when the airs were warmer and the snows were less.

Show
    Skald plus Appeal to soothe the generally friendly crew - (2d6+2)[8]
    Mythistorical bundle

12. - Top - End - #12

Beholder

Although his words were fair and his voice unwavering, among a few, the song seemed to have a different effect. For the most, it provided, at least momentarily, a respite from the gloom of the dark misty canopy that hid the stars.

Wiglaf laughed when it was over. “A song to quiet children!” the lad scoffed. He hid himself within his furs and rolled under his rustic refuge.

Morning came, cold and gusty again. Their fasts and camp quickly broken, it was time to make the last length of the journey, if the weather proved favorable enough, to Hrothulf’s steading at Vithold. The crewmen were grim and set, and Wiglaf uncommonly silent as well. Aedha looked unwell, but silenced herself stoically.

Show
    Pausing in case you want to make any additional plans, but I will assume you’ll push on without any detour? Or will you ply the seas searching?

13. - Top - End - #13

"Isn't it working?" Thorgrim asked Wiglaf testily as his nephew sang for their party. Well too, one of the songs he recognized from long ago in his youth passed on largely unchanged to the next generations. As far as he could tell anyway. His memory was crisp as ever but he'd never had a mind or ear for song. The old magician set to bedding down himself and soon fell to sleep with thoughts of his old friend Hrothulf and the dangers ahead of them all. When the morning came he packed away his things into his sea chest and looked out into the gusting winds.

"Nothing to be done but sail but we should keep a strong watch for whatever beast fell on our friends over there, or any of it's like." Thorgrim said to the men and his companions, pointing to whatever would be left of the shattered longship. "Keep your swords or axes close by, all of you."

Show

Yeah, I say make for the hold and accept the quest.
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-11-12 at 11:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

"Right," said Guthlaf. Turning to the men he added, "we'll have Aedha cast our runes before we go, and I'll read them too, for luck on the final day of our journey."

Show
    Mechanically I'm just setting up Aedha and Guthlaf to spend their 3 combined Fate Points as needed today.
    Mythistorical bundle

15. - Top - End - #15

Beholder

After the two seers' devotions, the crew made ready to cast off again. Two of the men who kept to Wiglaf's circle eyed Aedha and now Guthlaf suspiciously. In any event, they pushed off and navigated the turbulent waters to more open sea to avoid the rocky shoals. The wind quickly strengthened, buffeting the small boat despite the combined strength of its sinewy oarsmen.

Within two hours, the winds abated and waters calmed. However, that did not encourage the crew. A thick unnatural fog rolled out from the shore. It was dense and sodden, and quickly reduced vision to only a dozen yards or so from the ship. The waters became eerily still. Still, nothing penetrated their dark gray reflection of the sky above. If any beast did chance to come upon them, they would have little enough warning unless it broke the surface of the water within hearing distance.

They risked loosing their way without the guide of the coastline to steer their way. The men became grim, their eyes wide with wariness.

Show
    Okay, noted about the Fate points. Good choice! Here, I will impose a task for any navigation...with a -2 penalty. You may have other actions that will improve your odds. Any magic here will also get a -2 penalty to the roll.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Stand ready, men!" Thorgrim barks out, casting a dirty look towards the fog. He suspected the foulest sorcereries behind it but he knew he wasn't a man to match a coven of Heks in a spellslinging battle. He'd have to make it home and find a way to put an axe in their backs to end this, today he just had to survive.

The prow was facing eastwards before the fog fell, and the shore was near five hundred yards to the starboard. With good speed they might pass the bend of the coast in a quarter hour, then turn back south-east towards home. Thorgrim strode to the forefront of the ship and issued instructions for the men to turn slightly away from the coast and keep rowing.

Show

I'd like to roll with Sailor to give the crew it's sense of bearings to reduce the penalty to navigation.

I have Sailor 0, Mind 3 and Learned which gives me a bonus die to recalling facts (like our route and landmarks?) inside my skills.

(3d6)[6][4][1](11) +3 Mind

17. - Top - End - #17

Beholder

“What are you doing, old man?!” decried Wiglaf. Once the men began rowing, he withdrew any objection and reticently joined in.

For the better part of an hour, they pressed through the fog following Thorgrim’s instructions. The briny air of sea wind blew cold against their haggard faces. Slowly the fog began to lift and dissipate, and along with it came the lapping of stronger current. The pale sun began to show through the gray canopy, and the crew presently found themselves some miles out to sea.

Looking back to the coast, the thick billowing bank of mist enveloped many leagues in either direction clinging well to the rocky landscape. Hrothulf’s lands lay within it, so there was no avoiding the fog if they wished to make landfall there. The choppy seas frothed another half a mile further out into the bay from their position.

Suddenly, the distant bray of a horn mournfully called through the dense fog. It came from the coast. It sustained a baritone note before dying into the smothering gloom. It called a second time slowly and sadly again, and then a third time.

One of the men called out, “Look!” His finger pointed out to sea where it looked like a whale breeched the surface far in the distance. However, something looked terribly off about the morbid gray color. The serpentine body arched above the surface, but did not convey the well-known dimensions of even the largest whale. It was long like a massive white snake. It was at least two miles out into the open sea, but slowly turned toward the heroes’ longship.

To fight a sea beast in open waters meant certain death. So far from the coast, even the hardiest man would perish in the icy waters long before he could cover half the distance to the perilous rocks. And rocks there were in plenty hidden within the fog.

Show
    Nice roll, MrStereo1! Thorgrim is now quite clear of where they are in relation to the coast. I can eliminate the penalty for further navigation due to the unknowns.

18. - Top - End - #18

Remembering the runes he had kenned that morning, Guthlaf stepped swiftly to Thorgrim's side and said for his ear only, "Fell the fog and fell the beast, but always the note sounds true." This was the rede he knew could guide them to Hrothulf's hall, though he knew not what it meant.

Show
    Spending a Hero Point to make sure the horn note sounds from the location of the steading, and a Fate Point to give Thorgrim a boon on navigation tasks until they make landfall.
    Mythistorical bundle

19. - Top - End - #19

At his nephew's advice Thorgrim's eyes cast across the choppy waves and he knew what he had to do. He wasn't near mighty or prepared enough to fight the fog but he could damn well get the ship to the horn and safety.

"Make for the rocks! I'll guide us!" He shouts over the winds, pointing to the ridges of well feared shipbreakers that menaced the passage into Vithold. "Row like your lives depend on it, because they do!"

With their course set the Crow took up his staff and began to chant in the Rune Tongue, grasping one of his amulets and reaching into the sea beneath their ship. As the dragon rapidly closed on their little vessel they raced towards the shallows of the rocks and their only hope of safety. "Ten degrees starboard!" Thorgrim yelled out, sensing the sharp crag beneath them a mere man's length from their course. "Then sharp to Port and row!"

The rocks gave out closer to shore but by weaving a path through the underwater ridges they might just manage to evade the creature til they could put an end to it's wicked masters.

Show

Rolls done in OOC thread.

Spell was 7 (plus Mind 3 and Magician 2)
    Sailor Lore to remember Rocks' locations was 7 (plus Mind 3)
    Sailor Navigation was 11 (plus Mind 3), plus any bonuses from Guthlaf's rune sight vision.

I'm pretty sure that's a solid pass on all of them so
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-11-14 at 08:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

Through his otherworldly arts, Thorgrim was able to create a force to smooth and break the surface of the dark water into a convex depression, in effect, creating a lens, allowing him sight. Without mishap, he guided the crew by instruction through the most treacherous areas and led a course back into the fog that was true.

However, the undulating massive behemoth picked up tremendous speed. As long as the longship could navigate within the rocky shallows, doubtless the massive sea horror would not be able to follow. However, the number of oars, despite the fleshy sinews of its determined rowers, were not near so fast.

As the fog wrapped back around the little ship, the sweating and groaning Austrmen could hear something massive by the sounds of breaking water charging up behind them.

Show
    Sorry I didn’t get in a post in time last night. Tibbius is likely out, which is fine. We can wait. I actually envision the final task to get to safety is for Guthlaf to inspire the men for speed.

Truth be told, I had a problem with Thorgrim’s first spell being magnitude 1. I couldn’t imagine such an effect as something one could do with tools and time, but then I thought, “sure!” Goggles and lenses would produce that effect. Go ahead and record your current Arcane points in the top of your posts. What was the final cost?

21. - Top - End - #21

Big Guthlaf recalled Aedha's casting of his own runes that morning. "A song for all occasions," she had said dubiously. This perhaps was an occasion that called for a song - an old chant for oarbeats. He seized his harp and deliberately struck chords. "Ay-a-way!" he called at a moderate pace, trying to get the desperately splashing oarblades back in time. "As we were sailin' out Haskibight, To me way, hey, cut the man down!
    A fine foreign vessel I chanced for to spy, Give me some time to cut the man down!"
    Skald and Appeal with Boon from Aedha - (3d6)[5][5][6](16)+2.
    Show
    I think "13" will do the trick.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-11-17 at 08:43 PM.
    Mythistorical bundle

22. - Top - End - #22

Beholder

Guthlaf’s song had an immediate effect. In short time, the pall of fear fell away among the crew and they joined in unison with their loud course voices to that of the skald. The little longship surged forward under their combined might…

…And it wasn’t a moment too soon. The waters surged and frothed as the unnatural leviathan plowed through the dark waters at an implausible speed. The crew could not see its monstrous form through the fog, but its presence was known. Suddenly, the first rock jutted out of the water just to the ship’s port side. Thorgrim’s directions were true, navigating them through the dangerous shoals. All sound of pursuit ceased. The water was too shallow and filled with obstacles.

Shortly, the ship broke through the bank of fog. A pocket of somewhat clearer air surrounded a small bay. They were only a few hundred feet from the shore now, and the small protected bay was calmer. The chanting abated as the craft drew closer.

The remains of several ships were washed up on the shore or tossed asunder upon the rocks. A steep rocky beach was crowned by forbidding black trees. The peaked roof of a wooden hall was visible protruding from the trees on a rise some distance higher at the edge of gray veiled vision. Thick moss grew on the rocks and often hung in dense creepers from the trees, nearly eclipsing any evergreen growth. A thick blanket of green also clad the exposed portion of the hall high above. Although they should have been challenged by now, there was no sign nor sound of any living thing, man or beast, only the distant crash of waves muted by the enveloping fog bank and remote interval. Despite the marginally lifted fog, the air was close.

Show
    Nice roll, Tibbius!

23. - Top - End - #23

Show
    Thanks! - by the way, "rollv" does not incorporate adds, so you have to do them post facto as I did above.

Guthlaf plays an outro on his harp and lets it fall silent as the crew row more leisurely toward shore. Turning to Thorgrim, he asks, "Uncle, shall I bring my four ashore? I'll take Aedha, Eomer, Gewulf, Mearca..."
    Mythistorical bundle

24. - Top - End - #24

As his nephew and crew began to sing their pillaging song Thorgrim didn't dare to look away from the shoals before them. With yelled instruction he guided the crew through the deadly rocks hiding mere feet below the surf to safety from the drake and onto shore. Only when they passed through the crags into the shallows did he rest, as the crew slowed their rowing and ceased their singing, but as he looked upon the empty shore and the shattered ships about it he didn't relax.

"This is too quiet, nephew. Where are the guards? Why is the Hold silent? Why no ships at anchor? We should search the Hold but this is no safe harbor." Thorgrim asked and said grimly then pointed to the shipwrecks around them. "Our diversion might have bought us time from the creature but either it or something near as strong could reach here to do that. You go visit the Hold and be careful about it. I'll beach the ship and get the supplies ashore somewhere safe just in case. If there's nothing wrong see if you can get us some help dragging the ship ashore, too. It's a small vessel so some good rolling logs, more rope and a dozen strong backs should do."

Thorgrim then set to commanding the men to move their supplies off the ship and to the edge of the beach, with an armed man on watch.

Show

I figured that the spell would count as a vision of something near, but yeah maybe it was too flashy for a small spell. I'm at 6/12 now if the Spell costs 5 and my armor adds a penalty of 1.

I might be misinterpreting events but if all the ships here were destroyed somehow Vikings did move ships overland historically. A lot of the time they dismantled them to do it but IIRC you can do it more slowly by putting a series of logs under the ship and rolling it along them while someone runs from the back to the front to place them in it's path.

25. - Top - End - #25

Guthlaf settled his chain byrnie onto his shoulders, adjusted his belt, checked that his axe swung freely from the belt, and looked over his small party of raiders. Aedha he could trust completely. The other three had labored steadily at the oars, no back talk. They seemed honorable, and had good reputations from his friend the huskarl Leoric, whose men they were. But Guthlaf had not yet been with them in combat.

Taking a deep breath and slinging his harp over his back - no telling when a rousing song might be of aid - Guthlaf deliberately strapped his shield to his forearm and checked over the raiders equipment a last time. The straps of the shield were snug and comforting in this dismal place.

"Blood and steel!" Guthlaf exclaimed, "or a safe warm welcome for us." Waving his shield for the others to follow, he vaulted the gunwale of the knarve and felt his boots crunch onto the gravel beach. In parting he said to Thorgrim: "Stay safe, uncle," and to Witlaf, "May your shoulders be strong and your hands true."

He led his men and woman up the slanted shingle shore to the narrow strip of grassy ground before the shadows of the forest. He studied the trees a moment, then found the pathway that led from the harbor toward the hall. "Come along, then," he called over his shoulder, and marched forward trusting his companions to follow. He added, "Ready your weapons. I do not trust this place." Himself he drew his axe from his belt and held it ready in his hand as he walked.
    Mythistorical bundle

26. - Top - End - #26

"You too, nephew!" Thorgrim answered back. "Keep sticky fingers off our kin's gold if the worst's happened."

27. - Top - End - #27

Beholder

The remnants of Thorgrim’s spellcraft passed along disturbing visions of recent happenings. He saw ships departing in haste all haphazardly and some lacking the needed crew to man the oars. There were women and children in the waters begging to be taken. Oh! How they fled for fear of their lives!?

Then, the vision was a blend of conflicting images and chaos. Ships turned back to the harbor as others strove to overcome the powerful breakers. Many returning ships were dashed on the rocks in their haste. Blood turned the waters red. The harbor surged with tempestuous walls of turbulent water.

Wiglaf brought Thorgrim out of his disturbing reverie. “Let’s make camp up on the beach!” he ordered the rest. These began to gather their supplies and make ready to wade to shore.

In the meantime, Guthlaf and his four followers had not gone far when they came upon a gruesome scene. Just along the path under the first black shadow of forest, they came upon five fallen faithful — presumably men of Hrothulf’s house. The malodorousness of death and decay was overpowering. The fallen men wore their woolen garments over their hauberks. About their abdomens were visible dark stains that had welled up through the mesh. Each gripped a short bloodstained blade, but yet no puncture or rend was visible marring their mail.

Aedha retched. The others made warding signs against whatever deviltry was behind the evil scene.

28. - Top - End - #28

"Oh grievous sight," said Guthlaf grimly. "We should build them a pyre. But first, let's report back to Thorgrim what we've found, and then look further into the wood."

Returning to the ship, Guthlaf briefly relayed to Thorgrim and Wiglaf the happenings at the forest edge, and learned from Thorgrim what he had seen. "Can you give me two more?" asked Guthlaf of Thorgrim. "Hnaef and Sigehere could be helpful for their strength and alacrity. They both also are skilled with the bow." Looking over his current crew, Guthlaf added, "Whatever slew the houseguard, I would rather meet at a good distance. If we can, under that murk. I think we must keep carefully to the trail."
    Mythistorical bundle

29. - Top - End - #29

Thorgrim's jaw clenched and he briefly gazed out over the surf where so many of his people had perished in terror. Then he turned back and helped carry the chests and bags ashore. It would bring joy to his old heart to be proven wrong but he didn't hold out hope that his nephew would find survivors. If the sea was lost to them and anything in the Hold left suspect by the Hex's fell magics all the could count on was each other and what they had brought with them. It had to be guarded well.

After the forward scouts had returned and Thorgrim listened to his nephew's findings he relayed his own vision to both Guthlaf and their crewmates.

"I fear we must see to ourselves before all else, nephew." Thorgrim spoke wearily. "Something fearful enough to drive grown warriors to mad flight and scare our people out from the safety of our Hold's walls came here, and then that sea-beast drove them back towards it when they tried to take ship and flee. Might be we're the last already. Take the men and do what you must, but above all we need to find ourselves a refuge before dark falls. Defeating these monsters will be no day's work. We need a place to sleep, store our supplies and tend our wounded. Somewhere we can hold against more than mortal steel or simple tooth and claw, and with only a handful of men at that."

"Meaning we have to reach the hold tonight and I'd like to bring as much as we can with us. If there are survivors there we can get their help and hear their tale. If there are none it's still our best best for clues and it's terrain we know well. Hrothulf might have left records. Your Sight and my magics will have better fortune there with fresher trails and objects of weight to the mysteries we wish to see. One of the old watchtowers or the temple might make for a suitable fortress we can rest up in while we hunt the fiends responsible for this massacre."

"Take the men and do what you must, nephew, but don't tarry overlong if your quarry evades you. Get to the Hold if you can and see if you can find a cart or two to move our supplies and the priests' bodies with even if the worst's happened. I'll wait here to watch the supplies. Aedha, you should stay too. A hunt's no place for a woman. Wiglaf, you go with Guthlaf. That's where the fighting is and a monster's head would make a fine trophy for you, would it not?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Nodding thoughtfully at his uncle's counsel, Guthlaf recalled Aedha's last saying that morning: "Swift of shield and strong of hand, he stands when others fall." She had said that of Wiglaf.

"Uncle, I accept your counsel," Guthlaf replied. "Aedha, please stay here. Young Wiglaf, come with us. We will need your might."
    Show
    I'm thinking of Aedha's seeing as a Boon to Wiglaf's Defense (or alternately, a Flaw to the rolls of those trying to attack him).

Further considering, he added, "I will set up a forward post with my six men at the great hall of the Hold, and we will wait for you to arrive there. Should we need to retreat from the hall we will try for the top of the watchtower - there -" he pointed up the steep slope. "I do not think carts will be much use on this craggy ground, I am afraid the men will have to carry our goods and gear on their backs."
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-11-20 at 01:25 PM.
    Mythistorical bundle