The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default [3.5 Only] Aegis' Rapid Leveling Dungeoncrawler

Aegis' Rapid Leveling Dungeon Crawler

After concluding a high-op Tristalt game on this board that went from level 6-16 over the course of the past 5 years, here I am, an experienced DM, wondering what my next project will be. Well, now that project is coming to life and I invite you to throw your hat in as a potential participant.

Spoiler: Bullet point synopsis
    Show
    Here's the super quick synopsis for those who don't want to read all the setting info:
    -City is currently a safe place to live.
    -City will remain safe only with consistent exploration and elimination of creatures in The Dungeon.
    -There are no known external threats other than The Dungeon.
    -Failure to consistently eliminate creatures in The Dungeon means eventually monsters will spill out of The Dungeon and destroy everything.
    -The Dungeon is a multi-dimensional space that is, you guessed it, a bunch of dungeons for you to explore, clear, and loot.
    -The Dungeon is highly magical and experiences can differ wildly inside of it.
    -The King of City, an extremely powerful individual both in politics and combat, conscripts able bodied individuals into an "army" of adventurers who are forced to go clear threats from The Dungeon. Many die and their remains are usually never recovered.
    -The magical goods and resources taken from Dungeon Delves fuel the economy of City.
    -Being an Adventurer is a dangerous life, but holds the promises of wealth, power, glory, and fame.
    -You are a level 1 gestalt character who has motivation to enter The Dungeon.
    -I can be very lazy, and own a massive pile of 3.0 and 3.5 modules, dungeons and encounters will usually be taken directly from them.
    -As a consequence, high-op is not required to excel in this game. Low-op characters will get by just fine.
    -Interesting characters are preferred to powerful ones though these are not mutually exclusive.
    -Loot will be largely random, and available magical goods in town will be largely random.
    -Despite all the dungeoncrawls, we'll be using Theater of the Mind as our medium for tactics.
    -I will generally interpret movement, positioning, and range favorably for the players.

Spoiler: Setting: Solum
    Show
    The City of Solum

There exists an island of land, floating in an Endless Sky, referred to as Solum. On Solum, there exists a single metropolitan city, the City of Solum (often referred to by the inhabitants as just "the City" or "Town". This metropolitan city is the only bastion of civilization known. Many expeditions have been made away from Solum using various methods of travel - flight, teleportation, dimensional warping, etc, yet all who venture out into the Endless Sky either return, dejected, or don't return, and are never heard from again.

The City is ruled by a single monarch, simply referred to as King. Under King's reign there has been prosperity, and generally people believe King is a benevolent ruler.

There is a place on Solum that is a threat to the City's existence - The Dungeon. The Dungeon is an area that is bizarre in that it can be tiny or so expansive that it could never possibly fit inside Solum. The Dungeon is full of monstrous creatures, magic, resources, and danger of all kinds. If left alone, the power of The Dungeon will spill out and destroy the City.

As a result, King conscripts roughly 50% of all able bodied men, women, and others, into his army of Adventurers, or also sometimes called Dungeon Delvers, who are then forced to enter The Dungeon on Dungeon Delves. Others enter voluntarily. Most die. Since each person or group's experiences in The Dungeon can be radically different, most of the remains are never recovered. Researchers have tried for years to understand The Dungeon, but to no avail. Its source, cause, and purpose are all unknown.

They have made some discoveries: Once you initiate a Dungeon Delve, there are only two ways out - complete the Dungeon, or use an Escape Stone. Escape Stones are the fruit of the research done on the Dungeon. If you exit a Dungeon Delve whether by completion or by Escape Stone, there's no way to ensure you can ever go to that particular dungeon again. Sometimes, a Dungeon Delve will feed information directly into an Adventurers mind (plot exposition so you know what's happening) as some dungeons within The Dungeon are like events. Other times you may be dropped into a labyrinthine dungeon of traps and monsters with no explanation. Local conditions vary wildly, and anything is possible, though some things are much less common. You could appear underwater, or in the void of space (highly unlikely).

Those who survive return with treasure and riches. These resources are what fuel the City's economy and provide prosperity. Because of this, Adventurers are often treated like celebrities as they can rapidly accumulate vast riches and power.

Many powerful Adventurers will lord their status over others, some even begin to think they own the place. However, King has a contingent of very powerful Adventurers who serve as the Royal Guard and keep the peace in City. Acting against King is treason and is met with execution, trials are not guaranteed.

Because so little is known about The Dungeon, the sources of magic, etc, availability of magical goods isn't guaranteed. However, various shops exist and some NPCs can craft magical goods with material from The Dungeon. However, commissioning specific items or a lot of spell casting services are outside of their scope. If you need a specific item, you'll need to figure out how to craft it within the party, or hope it drops in the random loot you find during dungeon delves.

The BIG 16:
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, Gestalt game.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or home brewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Please see Setting spoiler for additional Setting details.
    You live in Solum, a metropolis on a large island of land suspended in an endless sky. The survival of Solum is dependent on Adventurers entering The Dungeon to prevent it from spilling forth and the items and treasures they bring back are the backbone of the city's economy. As a result, minor magic items are fairly common.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Four to six dedicated players who are committed to posting 5+ times per week.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OOTS forum PbP.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

1st level.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

500gp, an everfull mug (water and/or ale), an everlasting ration, and a special Handy Haversack with no capacity limit, and one Escape Stone (new item, see homebrew rules).

If you have crafting capabilities, pre-game crafting is allowed.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or home brewed classes?

Party composition isn't all that important to me. This game has a very heavy emphasis on dungeon crawling. It may be a good idea to have ways to cover the typical roles for such a thing, or pay for hirelings to have expendable NPCs to fill in those gaps. Hirelings may refuse to do any activity they perceive as especially dangerous. If you hire a rogue to search for and disable traps, they probably won't follow orders if you tell them to engage a Hydra.

8. What races, sub races, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow home brewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any +0 LA race that can pass as a humanoid. If you want a +1 LA race, please request it for review. No templates.

The LA for any LA +1 race takes up one side of your Gestalt. There will be no LA buy off.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Just write your stats in, no more than 18 in a stat before racial bonuses.
    If you write all 18s, I suggest you have some very compelling plot hooks in your character description/background.

HP is max at first level. Afterwards it's roll half HD+half HD - meaning if you have a D10 HD, at level 2 and beyond you roll 1d5+5 for HP (d4 becomes d2+2, d6 becomes d3+3, d8 becomes d4+4, etc).

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Alignment not in place for players, ignore alignment requirements on classes, prestige classes, feats, spells, etc.
    They will be in place for monsters for the cases of DR/evil, smite evil, protection from chaos, and other such effects.
    Any bizarre interactions with this will be dealt with when they arrive.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

No penalty for multi-classing.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Make your rolls on the forum in spoiler tags in the In-Character thread (even if it means double posting), please label what the roll is for, and if you think a roll is justified, don't wait for me to call for it, just go ahead and roll it.
    At times I will make rolls for you (Spot/Listen/Initiative most frequently). If you have active things that can alter these you may do so retroactively.

13. Are there any home brewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Most house rules are designed for ease of life and to improve game play experience opening up additional options:

Gestalt rules
    - You may only have one PrC at a time as per the normal Gestalt rules
    - Theurge PrCs are negotiable if/when they come up, but they will lose some of their advancement
    - Fractional BAB/Saves
    - You only get the +2 bump for a good save once

You may choose to take up to two bonus feats for which you qualify as if you had taken 2 Flaws. Flaws themselves aren't allowed.

Feats at every odd level as PF progression.

Diplomacy is house ruled to function as per the Giant's suggestion here: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFp...kegKhONNF.html

I'll consider 2 players' agreement as a quorum on a course of action as the determined course for the group, even if that doesn't represent a majority. I may move things along with only one player's decision if I deem that it is necessary to maintain an enjoyable pace.

Enemies will act with group initiative. On the first round, players will act on semi-individual initiative. Players who beat the enemy initiative may act in any order, then enemies, then all players, then enemies, then all players... etc.

If a player hasn't acted during combat within 2 days, I reserve the right to take the character's action to prevent the game from slowing down. Please include a preferred tactics section on your sheet for me to follow. I will generally not allow a PC to die as a result of actions not directed by the Player. This may stop once your level gets high enough that the characters become too complicated for me to control in a justifiable manner.

We are not tracking food/water.
    We are not tracking encumbrance.
    - My opinion is these aren't fun, so they're not part of my game.

XP will be multiplied by the number of participating players, so if a party of 4 level 1 characters fighting a single CR 1 foe would gain 300 XP split 4 ways, instead, you would each gain 300 XP. This intended to make you level up quickly.

If you would gain enough XP to gain multiple levels in a single Dungeon Delve you will instead stop at 1 point prior to gaining a 2nd level up, so if you clear a Dungeon and would gain 3,000 XP, you would instead only gain 2,999 XP putting you 1 XP away from gaining 2 levels simultaneously. This is intended to prevent you from missing out on the experience of playing your character at each level.

You can't increase your level during a Dungeon Delve, but it automatically increases upon returning to town. Buffs that were active in the Dungeon Delve do not persist between the scene change (no using Heroics spell to qualify for a PrC or similar).

Time passes differently in town - if you're a crafter, assume you have unlimited time to craft during a scene in town.

For crafting costs and spells with XP components, you choose to expend gold or XP at a 1 XP:5 GP ratio (e.g. you could choose to use all XP for crafting instead of gold, or all gold for crafting, or you could sacrifice gold to cast Alter Fortune instead of XP).

Leadership feat is not banned, due to its interesting potential on the social side of the game, but cohorts and followers will not and can not follow you into a Dungeon Delve.

There may be minor add-ins to fill in things that I view as gaps in the existing rules (e.g. what constitutes an encounter for a Factotum's Inspiration Points?) depending on character selection. If you're unsure how an interaction will work, ask about it.

New Item: Escape Stone 500gp (250gp and 20 XP to craft) - by spending 1 minute in uninterrupted meditation and mentally reciting the inscription on this stone, the user can escape The Dungeon and teleport back to Solum. Successfully using an Escape Stone consumes its magic, rendering it an inert and valueless rock.
    Using an Escape Stone requires a 10 consecutive full round actions each that provoke an Attack of Opportunity. No other actions can be done while using an Escape Stone or the usage fails. A failed usage doesn't consume the Escape Stone's magic.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

You can write as much or as little backstory as you want. Having more hooks for me to involve in the game will help improve your chance of selection.

You're welcome and encouraged to write new things into the setting as long as it doesn't clash with the existing information.

If you don't want to have additional backstory I will assume a default of being conscripted from a young age to be an Adventurer tasked with holding back The Dungeon.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, role playing, or a combination of the above?

80-90% Dungeon crawling, 10-20% story, role play, social and political intrigue. This game will be very focused on dungeon crawling.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rule books and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Any 3.5 source material (except Dragon Compendium), including web enhancements. No home brew, no class fixes, no Dragon Magazine, no Pathfinder. Please don't ask for unavailable material.

Notes:
    I like interesting characters (whether that's from an RP perspective or a mechanical interaction perspective) more than powerful ones.

When I present an obstacle, I don't predetermine solutions for overcoming that obstacle. If you have a creative solution that trivializes the encounter, you will still get the XP and rewards, but it also means some obstacles may be too challenging. Use your discretion on what you want to try to tackle.

On PvP: Unless all players agree, it's not allowed.

Banned Material:
    Candle of Invocation
    Custom item creation (doesn't apply to scrolls, wands, staves and runestaves and the like)
    Dust of Sneezing and Choking
    Item Familiar
    Taint, Tainted Prestige Classes and their ilk
    Thought Bottles
    Theurge Prestige classes (soft ban, some may be available with reduction in benefit)

Recruitment will run until Sunday, November 17th. In the evening of that day, I will select characters and start the OOC and IC Threads.

Table of Applicants to be added here:
    Player Character sheet Class Combination Completeness Check Concept/Notes
    samduke June Martial Rogue//Warblade Complete - but doesn't qualify for sudden leap Guild Grunt
    Foryn Gilnith Lang Fighter//Scout Complete Treasure Hunter, effect of sovereign archetype will need clarified
    Fliggl Levyk Druid//Paladin Complete Conscript into the King's army (Default)
    Jopustopin Lucky Swordsage//Fighter Complete Conscripted Son of the Syndicate
    JNAProductions Jane Dragonfire Adept//Martial Rogue Complete - has 4 too many skill ranks, missing languages Wants revenge and/or to redeem fallen draconic father
    Infomatic Aertre Warmage//Binder Complete Blaster with dreams of music
    D&DPrinceTandem Sif Totemist//Shapeshifter Druid Complete (missing HP, unspent skill ranks, unknown remaining wealth) Blender that thinks she's a monster from the Dungeon
    u-b Gashur Whirling Frenzy Barbarian//Crusader Complete Representative of the Orcs
    Anomander Bellatrix Summoner Wizard//Cloistered Cleric Complete - missing some spell selection, no ideal or deity specified for cleric, may not qualify for the benefit of Ehlonna's Brooch or some of the domains, DMM target metamagic not selected Knowledge seeking mage of the Ruby Temple
    Hellfire04 Celes Psionic Rogue//Erudite Complete Reincarnated delver, ready to delve again
    redfeline Nameless Dwarf Crusader//Incarnate Complete (items pending, speed missing) Conscript into the King's army (Default)
    Debatra Inti Duskblade//Favored Soul Complete A snoozer, someone whose previous delves were danger free and unrewarding (spells tracked on separate sheets)
    razorback Tround Ranger//Incarnate Complete (remaining wealth unknown) Conscript into the King's army (Default)
    FinnDarkblade Geras Duskblade//Archivist Complete Multiple Personalities?
    zylodrizzt Trash Factotum//Artificer Complete (missing speed and languages) Trash recycler looking to rescue its master
    Deadguy Piston Artificer//Warblade Complete - missing languages (unknown cost for hammer - unknown remaining wealth) Conscript into King's Army (Default)
    Dreadhead Thanquil Archivist//Bard Complete Guilt-tripped into searching for missing brother
    TheFallenOne Solstafir Crusader//Incarnate Complete Hunts monsters to turn them into items
    QuadraticGish Orchid Artificer//Dragonblood Stalwart Battle Sorcerer Complete Fleshgrafting victim?
    Sparce Geraldo Warblade//Factotum Complete Conscript into the King's Army (Default)
    Emdrazi Maryam Marshal//Holy Warrior Paladin Complete Conscripted Orphan for the King's Army
    Ancient Lam Swashbuckler//Psychic Rogue Complete - 4 extra skill ranks Gambling addict looking to pay debts
    cecil1994 Theo Totemist//Scout Complete Young whisper gnome scout
    Togo Calian Paladin//Spirit Shaman WIP Uses banned templates, added after selection for completeness

Clarifications from the thread:
    Magic-psionics transparency is in effect.
    Versatile Spellcaster feat needs to be kept inside of the spontaneous casting class (so if you trade two Sorcerer slots, you can cast only a Sorcerer spell you know from a higher level, no trading two Sorcerer slots and then using your Cleric levels to spontaneously cast from the whole Cleric list or other such shenanigans, a Sorcerer//Favored Soul could trade two slots from Sorcerer for 1 level higher Sorcerer spell or 2 slots from FS for a 1 level higher FS spell, but they can't cross over).
    Heighten Spell metamagic can only Heighten up to the highest level of spell you can normally cast.
    Partially charged wands fall under the custom magic items ban for crafting, while you may encounter some pre-generated wands for sale in shops with only some charges remaining, but a newly created wand always has 50 charges. Partially charged wands aren't available for purchase with starting wealth.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-11-17 at 10:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [3.5 Only] Aegis' Rapid Leveling Dungeoncrawler

I consider sending in a DFA, if it would be acceptable. I think I have a pretty interesting character concept for him...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Just write your stats in, no more than 18 in a stat before racial bonuses.
    That is... very interesting, from a party balance perspective. And it does make a certain sort of sense.

If I were forced to come up with a character concept right this instant, I'd ask for permission to play a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk - the runts of the lizardpeople, a subrace of even lower status than mainline lizardfolk (who at least have a niche as manual laborers stronger than most and more docile than orcs or half-orcs), oftentimes reduced to cleaning the chimneys and gutters of Solum just to get by... As such, the PC - one of the most promising in his generation - would have pulled together whatever resources his extended family could muster and delved into the dungeon in the hope of bringing out enough riches to turn their lives around or at least relieve their woes of some of the older or more inform family members.

However, since we have significantly more than just an instant before recruitment closes, I'll probably take some more time to think about what's what. Maybe recast this concept as a kobold instead since it wouldn't change the fundamental racial dynamic involved while also providing a rationale to have experience with traps (for dungeon-delving purposes).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

I am interested. Fairly sure I like artificer/factotum on immediate thought.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marking for pending interest.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

6. - Top - End - #6

Planetar

Now I reread and understood it's much more dungeon-crawley than I thought...Ill have to rethink my character. Possibly a binder/something, but still not sure

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

interesting overall I will have to think of something useful

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    I consider sending in a DFA, if it would be acceptable. I think I have a pretty interesting character concept for him...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Now I reread and understood it's much more dungeon-crawley than I thought...Ill have to rethink my character. Possibly a binder/something, but still not sure
    It will be extremely dungeon-crawley. Though a DFA would certainly be welcome, as would a Binder.

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    That is... very interesting, from a party balance perspective. And it does make a certain sort of sense.

If I were forced to come up with a character concept right this instant, I'd ask for permission to play a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk - the runts of the lizardpeople, a subrace of even lower status than mainline lizardfolk (who at least have a niche as manual laborers stronger than most and more docile than orcs or half-orcs), oftentimes reduced to cleaning the chimneys and gutters of Solum just to get by... As such, the PC - one of the most promising in his generation - would have pulled together whatever resources his extended family could muster and delved into the dungeon in the hope of bringing out enough riches to turn their lives around or at least relieve their woes of some of the older or more inform family members.

However, since we have significantly more than just an instant before recruitment closes, I'll probably take some more time to think about what's what. Maybe recast this concept as a kobold instead since it wouldn't change the fundamental racial dynamic involved while also providing a rationale to have experience with traps (for dungeon-delving purposes).
    Poison Dusk Lizardfolk or Kobold would be fine. The UA variants (Arctic, Jungle, et al) are available, as is the Kobold web enhancement.

Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
    I am interested. Fairly sure I like artificer/factotum on immediate thought.
    This game should be conducive to those who want to craft. Though there are a few things we'll need to clarify together for Factotum when we reach them. For example, can you Cunning Strike multiple times on one attack? I'll lean towards whichever interpretation fits the party's balance most closely.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Posting interest.
    Probably some Incarnum (never played one)/skill monkey/???
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Seems interesting, probably making an artificer/something, because this looks like a good chance to be one.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Posting interest.
    Probably some Incarnum (never played one)/skill monkey/???
    The Magic of Incarnum book isn't the best edited, but I really like the system. If anything you want needs clarification (e.g. Open Chakra feats, Necrocarnum's wonderful daily use, and undead meldshaper spring to mind), feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Seems interesting, probably making an artificer/something, because this looks like a good chance to be one.
    It should be. Due to random loot, the ability to create specific items will likely be very valuable.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-11-10 at 04:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

well I think this is ready. June for your consideration

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    well I think this is ready. June for your consideration
    Making sure I understand:

FF = "Flaw" feat
    RF = Racial bonus feat (StrongHeart Halfling)
    FBF = Fighter Bonus Feat (Martial Rogue)

What is CF?

You also get maneuvers from Warblade that I don't see on your sheet.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Making sure I understand:

FF = "Flaw" feat

What is CF?

You also get maneuvers from Warblade that I don't see on your sheet.
    FF = flaw feat even though we are not using flaws

CF = Creation Feat
    PHB p87
    ACQUIRING FEATS ... Each character gets one feat upon creation. , " then " At 3rd level and every three levels thereafter
    in talking with the folks at wizards knowing how badly things are worded in everything, the wording here was to intend a creation then 3rd and every 3 after

and we are using PF feat structure IIRC, 1, 3, 5 ect...

edit

oh yeah maneuvers as level 1 heh i will fix that
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-11-09 at 09:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Expressing interest as a DFA.

At work, will make character later.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Posting for interest and in the hopes that I have the time.
    My posting may be slowed due to graduation and the job search.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The UA variants (Arctic, Jungle, et al) are available, as is the Kobold web enhancement.
    Oh, that's handy. I figured in that case I might as well go ahead and slap together a sheet for Lang Yu-er, a kobold fighter/scout. Dragonwrought, for what it matters, since I had an extra feat and it seemed to align perfectly with the "bearing his family's hopes and dreams on his shoulders" part of the backstory... wasn't much point in advancing his age categories since we're not using fixed ability generation anyway.

18. - Top - End - #18

Posted to mark interest

I tend to go somewhere around Bard/Marshall/Beguiler so I can see myself trying that

Maybe Marshall/Paladin or Beguiler/Warmage

Though we don't have a divine caster yet, so maybe Marshall/Cleric?

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfBarbarianGuy

What races are common in the city? How common are dwarves? Or is it up to me, how he gets there?

Thinking about a dwarven paladin/druid. Things would be easier with serenity on the table, but it is doable without, too.

20. - Top - End - #20

Ooh I'm interested in this, would probably go with an Archivist on one side and combine with either Duskblade for some combat prowess or Bard to be a buffing machine.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    FF = flaw feat even though we are not using flaws

CF = Creation Feat
    PHB p87
    in talking with the folks at wizards knowing how badly things are worded in everything, the wording here was to intend a creation then 3rd and every 3 after

and we are using PF feat structure IIRC, 1, 3, 5 ect...

edit

oh yeah maneuvers as level 1 heh i will fix that
    I didn't intend for the PF progression to be on top of normal feat progression, but to replace it. Thus the creation feat and level 1 feat are the same feat. So excluding racial bonus feat and feats from class levels, you would have 3 feats (creation/level 1 feat, "flaw" bonus feat, and "flaw" bonus feat). Your character with a racial feat and a feat from class levels would have 4 general feats and 1 fighter bonus feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliggl View Post
    What races are common in the city? How common are dwarves? Or is it up to me, how he gets there?

Thinking about a dwarven paladin/druid. Things would be easier with serenity on the table, but it is doable without, too.
    Pretty much all races that can pass as humanoid are common. Dwarves would be one of the larger populations. (Core races most common in setting, races of X or Races of [Setting] type books generally following, then things that can get by despite being potentially considered monstrous, like Lizardfolk or intelligent undead).

Should be very manageable considering if you're a MAD character you can just write a higher stat array in. Sorry that I don't have Dragon Compendium.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay 1 less feat easy enough - fixed

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Hmm I was just thinking of the logic of this. If just as many die as go in then the population would dwindle eventually. So I imagine there might be an immigration division near the entrance as well lol.

Edit: Warforged ok then? Thinking it wandered out joined the city not really knowing anything. Started absorbing all it could about the dungeon and eventually went back in after training to learn about where it might have come from or other secrets related to its race
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2019-11-10 at 09:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Should be very manageable considering if you're a MAD character you can just write a higher stat array in. Sorry that I don't have Dragon Compendium.
    I have here a nameless WIP Druid||Paladin. For his stats I used a 36 point-buy equivalent. That's good enough

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WIP: Lucky Luciano Gray.

Spoiler: Tag
    Show
    Youngest son and member of the Tea-Gray's. A criminal organization composed of two families with power, prestige, and political connections spread throughout the city. It was pretty much known from a young age that being the least important member of the Gray family, he would be conscripted. He has had the finest trainers that money and power can buy.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Jane McConnoly, Whisper Gnome DFA//Rogue is made!

Using the Adventurer ACF (trade Sneak Attack for Fighter Bonus Feats).

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Jane was born to a gnomish mother and a shadow draconic gnome father. Her father, the draconic halfling, was not a good man. Tainted by something within the dungeon, he hid his nature during the day, before going out and committing heinous acts-including the rape that resulted in Jane's birth. He has since fled deep into the dungeon, and has not been seen for years.

Jane's mother, Tara, was traumatized by her incident. She became reclusive, rarely leaving the house. But some of her relatives helped raise young Jane, allowing her to be a lot more social than her mother.

As she grew, Jane put a lot of time into researching what might've tainted her father, how to stop it, and where her father might be. She had heard stories of her mother from before-Tara was never the biggest or bravest, but she was a kind, gregarious woman. Jane wanted to take vengeance on the man that had ruined her mother's life, though she never told her mother that. (She figured it'd be better to just not bring him up.) But, to help with that, she worked on harnessing her draconic powers, as well as learning various tricks that might be needed to make her way through the dungeon.

On a personal level, Jane is the kind and caring type. She has some anger issues, but for the most part manages to be nice, and is always ready to help another person.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Current Avatar by Elder Tsofu, who is awesome!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

GreataxeFighterGuy

Am I correct in assessing the current characters submitted as being in need of a damage machine?

I'm thinking something relatively basic. Water Orc Fighter (Dungeoncrasher) / Barbarian (Spirit Lion). I'm about to go to bed (I'm a night worker), but I'll start on this after waking up if my assessment is correct?
    Current Active pbp Games
    Crestfallin E8 v3.5 Recruitment Thread
    Crestfallin E8 v3.5 IC Thread
    Crestfallin E8 v3.5 OOC Thread

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Jeez I really need to pump this character out. Already have a party full if submissions lol

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I might try a warlock/crusader with the glaive, just to see how that goes. Still figuring fluff.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

If I end up building for this game, it'll be with these stats probably.
    Current Avatar (Sunny and Violet) was created by the incredibly talented AsteriskAmp.
    Many thanks!