New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Some Eberron Book spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    Pets for everyone was an interesting take, but I suspect that was one of the things that sunk the Archivist. You are the scroll artificer oh and also you have Cortana and engage in ECM warfare was a bit sidewsys.

Pity though. My Artificer player is having a ton of fun with Steinway.
    I know someone at WotC said that the Archivist was favourably rated in the Artificer Survey, it did better than the Alchemist. I'd expect that the subclass will be in whatever book gets published with all the other UA subclasses that have been tried out.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    Any changes to wargorged stat mods & sub races?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandir View Post
    For what I've hunderstood there are no more subraces but they hava a simic hybrid like customizable options instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Now that would actually help with my setting.
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's the case, warforged do not seem to have any customization options.(other than a skill and tool proficiency)

Warforged
    ASI +2 Con +1 Any other ability score
    Languages: Common, one other language
    Proficiency in one Skill and one Tool
    Constructed resilience - Magic cant sleep you, advantage against poisoned, Resistant to poison damage, don't need to sleep, eat, drink.(Same, except for the removal of the no exhaustion from lack of rest feature)
    6 hour Sentry rest
    +1 AC, you take an hour to "equip" and "remove" armour.

To me this is very disappointing with just how much they've gutted. Integrated protection I can understand(though I would have rather it be nerfed than removed), but did they have to gut everything else too?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cassinopa View Post
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's the case, warforged do not seem to have any customization options.(other than a skill and tool proficiency)

Warforged
    ASI +2 Con +1 Any other ability score
    Languages: Common, one other language
    Proficiency in one Skill and one Tool
    Constructed resilience - Magic cant sleep you, advantage against poisoned, Resistant to poison damage, don't need to sleep, eat, drink.(Same, except for the removal of the no exhaustion from lack of rest feature)
    6 hour Sentry rest
    +1 AC, you take an hour to "equip" and "remove" armour.

To me this is very disappointing with just how much they've gutted. Integrated protection I can understand(though I would have rather it be nerfed than removed), but did they have to gut everything else too?
    I'm not too torn up about it, although it's a pretty large step back from making Warforged feel unique for what they were built for as far as I'm concerned. Now all Warforged are essentially Envoy minus the tool expertise. I'm not seeing how it's "gutted" beyond losing subraces, more like "pruned".

I think I prefer the +2 over +1 Con though, that's a pretty nice bonus with a +1 of your choice attached.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2019-11-12 at 12:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I must say I'm really glad they nixed Homunculus (*ahem* Spelling, Jaappleton *ahem*), at least as an Alchemist exclusive feature, because I like the Alchemist in on itself a lot, but not the mandatory Homunculus. Of course, I understand why it was specifically part of Alchemist in the UA, but I think it's not something every alchemist is interested in creating. I know I wouldn't be.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    I'm not too torn up about it, although it's a pretty large step back from making Warforged feel unique for what they were built for as far as I'm concerned. Now all Warforged are essentially Envoy minus the tool expertise. I'm not seeing how it's "gutted" beyond losing subraces, more like "pruned".

I think I prefer the +2 over +1 Con though, that's a pretty nice bonus with a +1 of your choice attached.
    Theyre just a worse dwarf now.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    Not necessarily. I'd like to see the racial feature description before making any such claims, because there's still slight possibility that the integrated armor doesn't interfere with their movement, just like it didn't in UA.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Not necessarily. I'd like to see the racial feature description before making any such claims, because there's still slight possibility that the integrated armor doesn't interfere with their movement, just like it didn't in UA.

So, you can only use armour you are proficient in, and there is nothing about removing movement penalties imposed by armour.
    Last edited by Cassinopa; 2019-11-12 at 03:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cassinopa View Post

So, you can only use armour you are proficient in, and there is nothing about removing movement penalties imposed by armour.
    Gotcha. Thanks, by the way.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

9. - Top - End - #39

Chimera

The warforged seems off. If they're not adding in any other features this'll be pretty disappointing. There should definitely be some kind of selected feature beyond this.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    The warforged seems off. If they're not adding in any other features this'll be pretty disappointing. There should definitely be some kind of selected feature beyond this.
    Glanced through the Adam Koebel's stream, and I must say I don't know what program he's using to overview the book's content, but it kinda looks like it's not entirely finished product and some stuff might still be missing. But again, I don't know what it is so I really can't say for certain.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2019-11-12 at 04:23 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

11. - Top - End - #41

Chimera

Glanced through the Adam Koebel's stream, and I must say I don't know what program he's using to overview the book's content, but it kinda looks like it's not entirely finished product and some stuff might still be missing. But again, I don't know what it is so I really can't say for certain.
    Yup. We'll just have to wait and see. I doubt they'd just walk back on what they've said earlier, so it's probably just a work in progress.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Roll20.

He’s the Matt Mercer of Roll20.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Roll20.

He’s the Matt Mercer of Roll20.
    Oh god no.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

That is like the opposite of simic hybrid. Which has its own poetic irony I suppose.

Armor *must* be integrated to be used - so that had to go in racial.

There's a sliver of a possibility that integrated tools (or whatnot) are a cost tucked in with equipment. Or a feat.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    That is like the opposite of simic hybrid. Which has its own poetic irony I suppose.

Armor *must* be integrated to be used - so that had to go in racial.

There's a sliver of a possibility that integrated tools (or whatnot) are a cost tucked in with equipment. Or a feat.
    The race presented in the video seems like a preview but I think they have more added I the actual printed version. A blanket +1 AC and 2 con plus a floating +1 is a solid foundation. I think that it still maintaining the role of AC king without the problems that had before was smart.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I must say I'm really glad they nixed Homunculus (*ahem* Spelling, Jaappleton *ahem*), at least as an Alchemist exclusive feature, because I like the Alchemist in on itself a lot, but not the mandatory Homunculus. Of course, I understand why it was specifically part of Alchemist in the UA, but I think it's not something every alchemist is interested in creating. I know I wouldn't be.
    The minionmancy aspect is exactly why I gravitated towards the Artillerist. Of course, it wasn't without its own extra bits and bobs to manage but it wasn't an entirely new creature with its own actions and complete statblock.

Strange quirk of mine, I don't mind having my character be complex with dozens of moving parts but add in a minion with more than a few actions and/or a changing stat block and my brain can't function properly. Familiar good, Homunculus bad.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post

Their lv7 ability is Flash of Genius: Use your Reaction, you can add your Intelligence modifier to someone else's ability check or saving throw that you can see within 30ft of you. You can use this a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier per long rest. (Note: You can use this to boost an allies casting of Counterspell, or apply it to someones Initiative)
    Being able to selectively boost an allies initiative is great in situations where it's advantageous to have initiative run in a certain order. For example, a paladin will usually want his mount to go right before he does, this makes it much more likely that you can engineer that outcome.

Level 10 is when you can attune to 4 items.
    Very nice

At 11, you get Spell Storing Item. When you finish a long rest, choose a 1st or 2nd level spell from the Artificer list. It must have a casting time of an action. Someone else can then take object and cast the spell, using your spellcasting modifier. The object can be used to cast the spell this way a number of times equal to DOUBLE your Intelligence modifier. (WOW!)
    That is HUGE. Any reason a tiny servant can't use it? IE, is there an int requirement on it again? If not, my TSARs come online WAY earlier than normal.

Level 14 is Magic Item Savant: Attune to up to 5 items, and ignore all class, race and spell and level requirements for using or attuning to magic items.

At 18th, attune to up to 6 items.
    I definitely like spreading out the attunement limit increases, and the ability to use out of class items is a needed change.

Level 20 gets you +1 to all saves per magic item you're attuned to, and if you drop to 0 HP but not killed outright, you can use your reaction to end an infusion and instead drop to 1 HP. (I do believe Death Saves are in fact saving throws)
    Damn, great capstone.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    That is HUGE. Any reason a tiny servant can't use it? IE, is there an int requirement on it again? If not, my TSARs come online WAY earlier than normal.
    Sounds like you only get one though. Are your TSARs effective with only one item?

Edit: Google answered my question ("Damon_Tor TSAR"). 30d8 from 10x Shatters at level 11 isn't out of line, especially since I believe you don't have enough spell slots to actually create 10 Tiny Servants until level 17 unless you multiclass. Seems more like "Cool! That really feels like an Artificer!" than broken.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-11-12 at 03:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Do we know if the Artificer is still a half caster? It probably is, but it doesn’t hurt to hope.
    Current Character(s):
    Vincent Longshadow - College of Whispers Half Elf Bard/Blackguard
    Umbero Falone - Swashbuckler Half-Elf Rogue

Retired Characters:
    The Third - Awakened Human Mystic
    Wade Way - College of Lore Tiefling Bard
    Dag Cannith - Armorer High Elf Artificer

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WadeWay33 View Post
    Do we know if the Artificer is still a half caster? It probably is, but it doesn’t hurt to hope.
    My hope would be that most of their magic would be accessed via infusions (similarly to how the worked in 3.5, updated for 5e as needed of course) but I know I'm not going to get that so I'm also curious about their spellcaster ability.

Edit: Also, small thing, glad they realized that only giving two playable races in the entire game an ability score penalty was stupid. Now if only we could get them to officially remove it from Kobold. And also make the Orc an equal choice to Half-Orc, which it still isn't from the sounds of it.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-11-12 at 03:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    And also make the Orc an equal choice to Half-Orc, which it still isn't from the sounds of it.
    The Orc is substantially better than the Half-Orc. That's what you get for mixing your blood with impure humans.

22. - Top - End - #52

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chainer1216 View Post
    Worse how? They get a floating +1 rather than a fixed and they will always be +1 better in AC than what the equivalent dwarf would be. Is it the darkvision part that's a problem?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    The Orc is substantially better than the Half-Orc. That's what you get for mixing your blood with impure humans.
    You would say that Aggressive and Powerful Build rate higher than Relentless Endurance and Savage Attacks?

I suppose the Orc's features are never really in question for "if" you can use them so I can see how that would be more appealing.

24. - Top - End - #54

BardGuy

You would say that Aggressive and Powerful Build rate higher than Relentless Endurance and Savage Attacks?

I suppose the Orc's features are never really in question for "if" you can use them so I can see how that would be more appealing.
    I think he was being sarcastic
    Current Character(s):

Retired Characters:

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Hard to tell, I generally don't assume sarcasm unless we're speaking in blue text or it's explained literally.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, I actually don't think Aggressive is inadequate, it's just inadequate by itself. My houserule is to take away the Int penalty, which this is going to do for me now, and also give Savage Attack. It gives them more in common with their offspring, while letting Half-Orcs keep something cool and unique in Relentless Endurance (which I headcanon as a combination human willpower+actual orcish endurance).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

27. - Top - End - #57

BardGuy

Hard to tell, I generally don't assume sarcasm unless we're speaking in blue text or it's explained literally.
    Didn't know that, makes a lot more sense now that I think about it. Thanks!
    Current Character(s):

Retired Characters:

28. - Top - End - #58

Nope, I'm fully serious. Savage Attacks is a minor damage boost to 5% of your attacks; Relentless Endurance is basically 1/long rest Healing Word. (It would be considerably better if it prevented insta-kills, but it explicitly doesn't.)

Aggressive, on the other hand, is a bonus action mobility boost which is applicable in close to 100% of hostile situations, at least if you're a melee-oriented Str fighter like the Orc stereotype. Spend fewer rounds Dashing and more rounds Attacking. It even has defensive benefits by allowing you to e.g. strafe more easily: spend your Aggressive movement moving towards the enemy, hit them a few times, then move away with your regular movement, taking only an opportunity attack in return (depending on relative movement rates, e.g. w/ Barbarian Fast Movement or Longstrider).

Orc is still on the weak side because there are plenty of other ways to get even more flexible bonus actions, but half-orc is weaker still.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-11-12 at 05:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Sounds like you only get one though. Are your TSARs effective with only one item?

Edit: Google answered my question ("Damon_Tor TSAR"). 30d8 from 10x Shatters at level 11 isn't out of line, especially since I believe you don't have enough spell slots to actually create 10 Tiny Servants until level 17 unless you multiclass. Seems more like "Cool! That really feels like an Artificer!" than broken.
    In my opinion, the best way to use the spell storing item as a Battlesmith was to have tiny servants cast Warding Bond on you while tossing magic stones from a shoulder-mounted "bunker" built into your armor. Not sure if battlesmiths still have Warding Bond though.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    In my opinion, the best way to use the spell storing item as a Battlesmith was to have tiny servants cast Warding Bond on you while tossing magic stones from a shoulder-mounted "bunker" built into your armor. Not sure if battlesmiths still have Warding Bond though.
    It's not terrible, but it's not exactly overpowered either. Not only will AoEs have a good chance of wiping them out (depending on whether you can get your DM to consider armor "total cover" for some or all Tiny Servants), but you're only a half-caster spending your 11th level feature and your spell slots on Tiny Servant (at 11th level you've got 3 3rd level slots, so only 3 Tiny Servants) to boost your effective HP by, what, 50 HP? And your AC and saving throws by +1. You get a bonus action quasi-attack on top of that which is (guesstimating) maybe 10% as powerful as the equivalent Necromancer's bonus action attack, 20% against weapon-resistant foes.

(Also it's technically illegal to have allies, even Tiny allies, end their turn inside your space, but a reasonable DM is likely to waive that restriction--although the same reasonable DM might also rule that it's unreasonable for Tiny Servants small enough to hide inside your armor to be chucking Magic Stones.)

It sounds interesting but not unprecedented. Similar in power to an Eldritch Knight.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-11-12 at 07:09 PM.