New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks (Choo Choo Chosen One)

And so we return to Hyrule. The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks is a game for the Nintendo DS, and is a direct sequel to our last Zelda game, Phantom Hourglass. The amount of... DIRECTNESS this implies is rather shocking. Sure it's one hundred years later, but everything's mostly the same. Only the smallest, tiniest changes, for good or ill, where introduced. All in all, the game is... fine, baring one specific mechanic that makes it unbelievably intolerable. But we'll talk about all THAT fun stuff later.

Updates will be, as usual, Monday and Friday. I hope you all enjoy, and are ready to have some fun train adventures!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [1] All Aboard

Video Length: 42:02

We start off our adventure with a lovely story, and news of our impending graduation from train conductor school, which is a thing I guess. Over seen by the princess Zelda, because of course why wouldn't it be. Of course once we're there we meet the delightfully small Chancellor Cole, and we also receive a message from Zelda asking us to meet her after the ceremony. Long story short, she obviously noticed all the evil, ominous stuff going on, and is going to go do something about it! We've been recruited to help, and one decently easy but still miserable stealth section later (yes, in video one) we head off towards the Spirit Tower... and proceed to have a bad time.

Suffice to say our adventure is off to a stellar start! Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks (Choo Choo Chosen One)

Well, well, well. This is several hours earlier than expected, but, all aboard! Really been looking forwards to this one given that, as I've mentioned before, this was my first Zelda, and the one I spent the most time with - down to the job of 100% completion (barring perhaps some of the train cosmetics I didn't care for). Certainly the one I remember best. But... we'll see how those rose-tinted glasses hold up, because there are at least a few glaring flaws I remember.

The title theme from this game (and, to a lesser extent, the train overworld) is one of my favorite songs in a video game. It's just... so fun, and holding promise of an adventure.

The opening means a lot more now, admittedly, now that I've seen other Zeldas, and know the references.

20 rupees can buy many peanuts.

Spoiler: Castle Town Mysterious Building
    Show
    I don't believe you ever actually need to go there, but that's the Boss Battle refight mechanism for this game.

So many chests, you even neglected to record two of them
    Granted, given that you can get precisely none of them now, that's not really a huge deal.
    Also, I do remember one particular one in here being a pain to get.

Hey, don't blame the sins of the past postmen on the present one! (Even though the fact that he got confused of how it was done suggesting that it was only changed over recently, he's still new, meaning he didn't partake!)
    Also, just in general, I feel like the DS games did comedy pretty decently. Even physical comedy with what model limitations they had.

And here we have Best Zelda.

Man, I just love that ominous sting showing his fangs. ...I question how he got vetted for the chancellor's position with those chompers, though. Zelda kinda sucks at hiring trusted advisors.

Zelda's Lullaby here... also very good song.

Cars? No... The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Trucks!

God, I forgot how stupid Cole's character was. It's hilarious. And, yes. Anyone with a giant metal magic gauntlet or whatever... A+.

Welp, princess dead. Game over.

While I remember, I will do what I can to record the accumulation of
    Spoiler: Collectables
    Show
    Bunnies and Force Gems

that you receive. I think that everything else is fairly straightforwards, and while some others - one that I can recall in particular - may require backtracking, the aforementioned ones are the ones that's locations are probably... the most easily confuzzled around with.
    ...I like that confuzzled is recognized as a word. Confuzzled confuzzled confuzzled.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks (Choo Choo Chosen One)

Only one specific stupid mechanic? I can at least name two of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I've heard "good" things about this game.

Especially that tower.

Oh yes, so many """"""""""good"""""""""" things ._.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Well, well, well. This is several hours earlier than expected, but, all aboard! Really been looking forwards to this one given that, as I've mentioned before, this was my first Zelda, and the one I spent the most time with - down to the job of 100% completion (barring perhaps some of the train cosmetics I didn't care for). Certainly the one I remember best. But... we'll see how those rose-tinted glasses hold up, because there are at least a few glaring flaws I remember.

The title theme from this game (and, to a lesser extent, the train overworld) is one of my favorite songs in a video game. It's just... so fun, and holding promise of an adventure.

The opening means a lot more now, admittedly, now that I've seen other Zeldas, and know the references.

20 rupees can buy many peanuts.

Spoiler: Castle Town Mysterious Building
    Show
    I don't believe you ever actually need to go there, but that's the Boss Battle refight mechanism for this game.

So many chests, you even neglected to record two of them
    Granted, given that you can get precisely none of them now, that's not really a huge deal.
    Also, I do remember one particular one in here being a pain to get.

Hey, don't blame the sins of the past postmen on the present one! (Even though the fact that he got confused of how it was done suggesting that it was only changed over recently, he's still new, meaning he didn't partake!)
    Also, just in general, I feel like the DS games did comedy pretty decently. Even physical comedy with what model limitations they had.

And here we have Best Zelda.

Man, I just love that ominous sting showing his fangs. ...I question how he got vetted for the chancellor's position with those chompers, though. Zelda kinda sucks at hiring trusted advisors.

Zelda's Lullaby here... also very good song.

Cars? No... The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Trucks!

God, I forgot how stupid Cole's character was. It's hilarious. And, yes. Anyone with a giant metal magic gauntlet or whatever... A+.

Welp, princess dead. Game over.

While I remember, I will do what I can to record the accumulation of
    Spoiler: Collectables
    Show
    Bunnies and Force Gems

that you receive. I think that everything else is fairly straightforwards, and while some others - one that I can recall in particular - may require backtracking, the aforementioned ones are the ones that's locations are probably... the most easily confuzzled around with.
    ...I like that confuzzled is recognized as a word. Confuzzled confuzzled confuzzled.
    In my defense it was nearly Today when I posted this.

I'm glad someone here knows the game 100% because depending on how it goes I may or may not need help with that.

As far as Zelda's go, I think in terms of actual on screen action, you're not wrong that this specific iteration is the best.

Cole and Byrne's designs are so good, on the opposite sides of the spectrum that is good character design.

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Only one specific stupid mechanic? I can at least name two of them.
    We'll touch more on it when we get to it, but you're probably right. I'm just saying that for my own tastes, some stuff turned out to be less bad than others. I may also just not be remembering how bad the other one is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm glad someone here knows the game 100% because depending on how it goes I may or may not need help with that.
    I mean, I can guarantee you that I do not remember 100% about the game, given that it was a decade ago. Plus there are two specific instances near the end of the game that I can recall that I did have to break out the guide I borrowed from a friend for. So... yeah. I'm certainly not the best guide.

As far as Zelda's go, I think in terms of actual on screen action, you're not wrong that this specific iteration is the best.
    I mean, I enjoy this one in terms of overall personality, too. Not quite as regal as some others, not as spunky as Tetra, not a childhood friend-y as Skyward Sword, but...
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-11-11 at 12:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Alright, Spirit Tracks! I don't mind saying I'm pretty stoked, I love this game. Being from Britain, where trains are a common and popular sight, Zelda with trains was a winning formula. Also because I'm from Britain, the version of this game that I played was translated slightly differently, so I might talk about what differences there were between the versions

Spoiler: Commentary, No spoilers
    Show

General thoughts:

Now I've seen Phantom Hourglass, I really appreciate how Old Nico's introduction to the history of New Hyrule is a callback to PH's opening.

I forgot how... layered a lot of the cutscenes are. A lot of them really emphasise the depth rather than having the characters just stand on the same plane and I like that.

Playing with the Train whistle is the best!
    Spoiler: Real spoiler
    Show
    Each engine you can buy also has a different whistle and it's really fun to use them all.

Castle town does have a lot of chests!
    Spoiler: Real spoiler
    Show
    This is the first time I've noticed that the lady in the western house has pictures of rabbits on her walls. It makes sense, considering her husband...

Don't diss the train postman!

I love how anti-Tetra Zelda just doesn't pay Cole any respect more than she has to. Every expression she makes at his interruptions basically says 'ugh, he's doing this again'.

No comment on how in Wind Waker the classic Link clothes were an old relic of the past and now they're the uniform for the army? That's another detail I like.

I never had a problem with the pipes. They're a little fiddly sometimes, but I never had any major problems. For me the really irritating mechanic was controlling Zelda. It's less of a problem later in the game, for Reasons, but the no-detection stealth segment here was a massive pain.
    Spoiler: Real Spoiler
    Show
    The bosses where you have to control both Link and Phantom Zelda at the same time are even worse!

No, Tower, don't fall down! You're probably important. ...OK when I said don't fall down, I didn't mean do that.

To be fair, that's not the Demon King, that's just his car that Cole's driving around on official business.

Annnd it's now Zelda business as usual in Train Town. Good episode!

So, names in the translation. As far as I know, most of the actual dialogue is the same between the US and the european versions, but several places, bosses and characters have different names. With a few exceptions, I prefer the US names, as they're punchier or smarter, but I'll try and go through them all as they come up.

First, and one of the most obvious, is the name of Link's starting town! It's Aboda Village, a play on the word abode as this is where Link lives. In the Euro version, it's Outset Village, a callback to Outset Island in Wind Waker and reusing its theme of being the place where you start the game. I actually prefer Outset Village in this case, it's a nod to the continuity of the previous three games and also helps with the feeling that this is a new land founded by Tetra and Link. For once we get some proof that our efforts in previous games actually paid off!

Chancellor Cole remains Chancellor Cole in the Euro version too, but I'm bringing him up because he's the first of many characters to have a train-related pun, in his case, coal that steam trains burn for fuel. This leads, obviously, to Byrne, or burn... Except in Britain (Other countries in Europe give him their own names,some better than others.) where he's Staven, a cool word that doesn't seem to mean anything. However, the wiki claims that a source says it's based on Evening Star, the last steam locomotive built by British Rail. This fits Staven very well, for reasons that haven't been revealed yet, and keeps the theme going, so I like the European translation better again. Also, it's just a fun word to say. Staven.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Also, it's just a fun word to say.
    Ah, excellent. A fellow fun word enthusiast.

9. - Top - End - #9

Staven likely comes from the wooden staves they used to keep the engine insulated and to help stop it from exploding. I think Byrne is a more fitting name personally, but that's 100% because Bynre with a Y is such an edge name and I mean, look at the guy. Because of the art style it looks like he has an entire mechanical arm attached to his wrist! It's hilariously over the top. I love it.

Outset Village over Adobe Village is definitely superior, yeah. Makes you think that this little beach is where Tetra and pals first made land fall.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

On the topic of formatting and slight desync of the two windows, from a mechanical and technical perspective...

On the actual game system, there are two windows, and there's a space between them. So the developers, being the clever little cookies that they are, take that space into consideration when things transition from one to the other, to give the illusion that the hinge between the windows is more like a window-bar covering up the area behind it and that things are going on 'behind' it. So if you want it to sync up, you're going to have to put a space between the two windows. Of course, this makes for less space on an already ridiculously narrow and tall GUI which is the exact opposite dimensional ratio that most wide-screen monitors used today. Basically, it's still in Portrait while everyone else is on Landscape.

The other solution is to just not care and put them side-to-side instead of top-and-bottom. This completely breaks the immersion the game is trying to create, but gives you a window dimension ratio far closer to a typical 16:9 monitor. Which means more of the screen can be actual game play and less devoted to the admittedly very cute background image. Downside is... well... completely breaks immersion since what is supposed to be on 'top' is now on the left.

Most DS and 3DS emulators give you the option as to how to lay out the windows, so I've played around with it a bit.

Anyways, hope that helps, or at least helps understand what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    On the topic of formatting and slight desync of the two windows, from a mechanical and technical perspective...

On the actual game system, there are two windows, and there's a space between them. So the developers, being the clever little cookies that they are, take that space into consideration when things transition from one to the other, to give the illusion that the hinge between the windows is more like a window-bar covering up the area behind it and that things are going on 'behind' it. So if you want it to sync up, you're going to have to put a space between the two windows. Of course, this makes for less space on an already ridiculously narrow and tall GUI which is the exact opposite dimensional ratio that most wide-screen monitors used today. Basically, it's still in Portrait while everyone else is on Landscape.

The other solution is to just not care and put them side-to-side instead of top-and-bottom. This completely breaks the immersion the game is trying to create, but gives you a window dimension ratio far closer to a typical 16:9 monitor. Which means more of the screen can be actual game play and less devoted to the admittedly very cute background image. Downside is... well... completely breaks immersion since what is supposed to be on 'top' is now on the left.

Most DS and 3DS emulators give you the option as to how to lay out the windows, so I've played around with it a bit.

Anyways, hope that helps, or at least helps understand what is going on.
    I'm well aware of the specifics on what to do, it's just "do I want to do it" and "do I care enough" and honestly I think the answer is no. Making them side by side is just not tenable, it looks bad with this game. Making the screens farther apart and thus even smaller is just not workable either. So we'll ave to endure the disconnect.

The disconnect bugs me because Phantom Hourglass DOES NOT have this disconnect issue between the two screens. They look perfect together like this! One of the examples of how this game is both better and worse than Hourglass, in small ways.

Also I'm using a real 3DS, using a capture card that connects to a NDS viewer ap. One of the (now sadly out of business) katsukitty models.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

The disconnect bugs me because Phantom Hourglass DOES NOT have this disconnect issue between the two screens. They look perfect together like this! One of the examples of how this game is both better and worse than Hourglass, in small ways.
    What's 'better' about the screens definitely depends on the viewing, and also the context. If things actively switch between the top and bottom screens, acting like the space is there really helps judge things, I've found. But if it's just the occasional display thing, having them seamless isn't as much of an issue, and certainly looks better on the recording. Just my two cents, anyways. Not that we have those, anymore.

13. - Top - End - #13

Obviously, you should have the screens together most of the time and drift apart when there's a double screen cutscene. It's the best of both worlds! Except the 'work for Zodi' world, but who cares about that?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

14. - Top - End - #14

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

I don't mind the cutscene dissonance with the screens together. It matches up close enough I can get the image the developers were going for.

Man how did I decide not to play this Zelda game!? I love that chancellor!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    Man how did I decide not to play this Zelda game!? I love that chancellor!
    I imagine that the lukewarm reception of the original game's touchscreen controls - which continued over - plus the temple of the ocean king, plus the fact that it's a much more 'linear' Zelda than traditional might have had something to do with it. I dunno. It was never something that particularly 'stood out' or anything, but I think it's a bit of a gem, even if it is rough in some areas.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

That part where Byrne swats Link away reminded me of this, for some reason...

Spoiler: gif
    Show
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

17. - Top - End - #17

How about, more train zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [2] Full Metal Princess

Video Length: 36:23

In this episode, I attempt to make a fun little conversation about how Zelda's Butler's ranting about how we need to find Zelda to tell Zelda she's kidnapped is actually a hint towards the fact that we should hunt down that glowing sphere of light that came from her. As it turns out we get an explicit cutscene not five seconds later showing very clearly and concisely that actually no we don't need to do any thinking, just following the dead princess please. After some banter, we pick up a very nice and not bad at all flute and head off to the secret path that leads from the castle to the Spirit Tower.

The secret path isn't all that extensive. It features your bog standard Keese and Rats, but also introduces the new enemy Spinenuts! They're little goomba boys who somehow take two hits to kill if you don't jump attack them, and for some reason I cannot understand the jump attack just was NOT working for me on the day of recording. This is concerning. Other than that, it's the same puzzles we saw last time, almost literally, to teach you that drawing on the map screen is a very useful tool. All in all, not that bad.

Then we get some exposition from Anjean, one of the Lokomos (think train oriented sheikah) and we learn what we must do to defeat Malladus; fix the tower's segments by purifying the four shrines, then climb to the top to stop them from using Zelda's body as a meat suit for the demon king! Sounds simple enough, but as we enter the Spirit Tower we get the first of two frightening realizations in the game... this game has an Ocean King's Temple! Yes, that right, we have basically the exact same mechanic this time around! I don't think/recall there is a time limit this go around, but to make up for it they made the puzzles extra challenging. They also, however, introduced the BEST mechanic; Zelda can possess a stunned Phantom and become your controllable partner! This part is super cool, and is a fun inversion of the earlier stealth segment. Zelda can move fine, it's Link who has to sneak. I don't think this justifies having such an early stealth segment, but overall the end result is pretty cool I think. We get through the exactly one floor of puzzles to get our Rail Map, which is totally not a Sea Chart, and with that end the video on a high note.

So yeah. I hope you all enjoyed this one! I'll see you all next time for... the worst, if I'm remembering correctly. Take care.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Why can't anyone hear me?" she asks, as she walks through a door.

I just love the spirit flute theme version.

Ah, the dulcet non-tones of Future Zodi snark. How you were missed.

Anjean even seems to have picked up the family wink from Tetra.

I just absolutely love this first scene in the tower. It establishes exactly why this is my favorite Zelda incarnation.

There's a bunch of funny Phantom lines. Like "YOU SEEM CUTE TODAY."

Good Phantom Zelda can enter the safe zones because she's not an evil being.

Gage is actually named after rail gauges, not pressure gauge.

Now... as for the Phantoms. I talked about this a bit at the end of the PH thread, in spoilers, but just... the existence of them is confusing here. In PH, it was implied that they were Bellum's creations (as shown by the eye at the back). Now... that doesn't really explain what they're doing here. Are there more Phamtoms elsewhere, guarding all the gods' stuff, and Bellum just created a dark mockery of them? Did the gods think "hey, yo, invincible guardian armour seems like a good idea, thanks, man." Or what?

Like... it's not a huge deal, but it is a little egregious.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Why can't anyone hear me?" she asks, as she walks through a door.

I just love the spirit flute theme version.

Ah, the dulcet non-tones of Future Zodi snark. How you were missed.

Anjean even seems to have picked up the family wink from Tetra.

I just absolutely love this first scene in the tower. It establishes exactly why this is my favorite Zelda incarnation.

There's a bunch of funny Phantom lines. Like "YOU SEEM CUTE TODAY."

Good Phantom Zelda can enter the safe zones because she's not an evil being.

Now... as for the Phantoms. I talked about this a bit at the end of the PH thread, in spoilers, but just... the existence of them is confusing here. In PH, it was implied that they were Bellum's creations (as shown by the eye at the back). Now... that doesn't really explain what they're doing here. Are there more Phamtoms elsewhere, guarding all the gods' stuff, and Bellum just created a dark mockery of them? Did the gods think "hey, yo, invincible guardian armour seems like a good idea, thanks, man." Or what?

Like... it's not a huge deal, but it is a little egregious.
    Future Zodi claims her name is Smart Zodi, but yeah it's glad to have her back in some capacity.

"YOU LOOK CUTE TODAY" as Zelda makes the armour blush slightly. God it's the best. She really is just Alphonse.

Look I don't know the anatomy of a train I'm doing my best here

As for the PHantom thing... well, look back at Skyward Sword and the Sacred Realm Trials. They had a ton of ghost like monster armours that were indestructible trying to hit you, unable to do so as long as you were in a safe zone. It's not actually out of the ordinary in this series for divine things to be guarded by actual indestructible (but corruptible, as we can see) monsters.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Future Zodi claims her name is Smart Zodi, but yeah it's glad to have her back in some capacity.

"YOU LOOK CUTE TODAY" as Zelda makes the armour blush slightly. God it's the best. She really is just Alphonse.

Look I don't know the anatomy of a train I'm doing my best here

As for the PHantom thing... well, look back at Skyward Sword and the Sacred Realm Trials. They had a ton of ghost like monster armours that were indestructible trying to hit you, unable to do so as long as you were in a safe zone. It's not actually out of the ordinary in this series for divine things to be guarded by actual indestructible (but corruptible, as we can see) monsters.
    All Zodis are Smart, clearly, so that's not a helpful delineator.

That's pretty much the one bit of train stuff that I do know, mostly because of remembering people talking about gauges with regards to model trains.

Yeah, I get that it's not an issue for them to be divine in origin and all. I have no issues with the Phantom story as presented here. Or in Phantom Hourglass. The issue I have mostly comes from the fact that you can't really reconcile the two because PH presented them as being creations of Bellum. And, I know, retcons and all, but... like, I'd maybe like an acknowledgement that they could have, and in fact had been, corrupted in the past or something. But that's just me picking at nits.

21. - Top - End - #21

To be fair all of Phantom was a nightmare created by Bellum infecting the Ocean King's brain, so TECHNICALLY they were created by Bellum, likely from the Ocean King's memories.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Trains of Thought (1)
    Show

And so we return to Hyrule. The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks is a game for the Nintendo DS, and is a direct sequel to our last Zelda game, Phantom Hourglass. The amount of... DIRECTNESS this implies is rather shocking. Sure it's one hundred years later, but everything's mostly the same. Only the smallest, tiniest changes, for good or ill, where introduced. All in all, the game is... fine, baring one specific mechanic that makes it unbelievably intolerable. But we'll talk about all THAT fun stuff later.

Updates will be, as usual, Monday and Friday. I hope you all enjoy, and are ready to have some fun train adventures!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [1] All Aboard

Video Length: 42:02

We start off our adventure with a lovely story, and news of our impending graduation from train conductor school, which is a thing I guess. Over seen by the princess Zelda, because of course why wouldn't it be. Of course once we're there we meet the delightfully small Chancellor Cole, and we also receive a message from Zelda asking us to meet her after the ceremony. Long story short, she obviously noticed all the evil, ominous stuff going on, and is going to go do something about it! We've been recruited to help, and one decently easy but still miserable stealth section later (yes, in video one) we head off towards the Spirit Tower... and proceed to have a bad time.

Suffice to say our adventure is off to a stellar start! Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time.

Wombat Emerges from Lurking! Ummm....why is Zelda flying and ghostly...uh oh...Is she the Spirit of the Tracks? I'm excited for this game, because I've never played or know anything about this game, so I'll be watching this blind. Also HYPE for first voiced Zodi playing Zelda!

Hmmm, I wonder if the tower they mention in the intro is the one in the banner...

Link sleeping in every game continues I see...Aw its grandpa Nico. So wait, are....we...a descendant of Link and Zelda? Later someone says it's 100 years since this land was conquered.

Dear lord, you almost were killed by Bees...that would have been your first death in a zelda playthrough... Thankfully that didn't happen, lmao.

Train controls seem more manageable. Like cutscene elements or something. Also #backwardsC. Interesting that the game is so close to Phantom. I guess that makes sense, it is the sequel. Kinda like OoT and MM.

LMAO, I love that the postman calls out previous postman from Phantom Hourglass. That is hilarious.

Omg, this guy has 2 hat, I love it. That's so...extra. Wait is that red hair? I thiiiiiink so? That means he might be bad...Male redhead = bad (except for homeboy Groose). Ummmm...okay pointy teeth. Yeah he's a bad guy...Uh, the butler's name is Teacher?

It's an oppposite stealth section. Instead of sneaking in to see zelda, we saw zelda and then we sneak out. Oh so wait, in this timeline, the green tunic is a recruit outfit for the royal guard? Man, Link's story has really lost importance over the years it seems... Oh, are all the Guard's dressed that way? Okay, not to bad then...

While it might be sad, maybe her crew founded different areas within Hyrule, becoming leaders of their own? Then it wouldn't be as sad!

Is...that a Ganondorf face train? Oh the hats covered Horns, lmao... Ok, I get it. Burn and Coal.

EPISODE 1 KILL TALLY!

Bee Hive - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 0

Spirit Tracks
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 1)

Bee Hives - 1

Total Things Dead - 1

1st Place - TBD
    2nd Place - TBD
    3rd Place - TBD

Total Style Points - 0

Total Missed Rupees - 0
    Total Lost Rupees - 0
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2019-11-15 at 02:06 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair all of Phantom was a nightmare created by Bellum infecting the Ocean King's brain, so TECHNICALLY they were created by Bellum, likely from the Ocean King's memories.
    Yeah, I guess that's fair. That'd not really occurred to me. So... I can accept it better now.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

Wombat Emerges from Lurking! Ummm....why is Zelda flying and ghostly...uh oh...Is she the Spirit of the Tracks? I'm excited for this game, because I've never played or know anything about this game, so I'll be watching this blind. Also HYPE for first voiced Zodi playing Zelda!

Link sleeping in every game continues I see...Aw its grandpa Nico. So wait, are....we...a descendant of Link and Zelda? Later someone says it's 100 years since this land was conquered.

Omg, this guy has 2 hat, I love it. That's so...extra. Wait is that red hair? I thiiiiiink so? That means he might be bad...Male redhead = bad (except for homeboy Groose). Ummmm...okay pointy teeth. Yeah he's a bad guy...Uh, the butler's name is Teacher?

While it might be sad, maybe her crew founded different areas within Hyrule, becoming leaders of their own? Then it wouldn't be as sad!

Is...that a Ganondorf face train? Oh the hats covered Horns, lmao... Ok, I get it. Burn and Coal.

EPISODE 1 KILL TALLY!

Bee Hive - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 0

Spirit Tracks
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 1)

Bee Hives - 1

Total Things Dead - 1

1st Place - TBD
    2nd Place - TBD
    3rd Place - TBD

Total Style Points - 0

Total Missed Rupees - 0
    Total Lost Rupees - 0
    I'm honestly kinda hype about this too. I'll do my best to present a comedic, good and fun times having Zodi while also doing my typical analysis and general smart person-ness that comes with these Zeldos.

I don't think Track's Zelda and Link are connected, otherwise things will get... weird.

The character design in this is spot on as far as like, good-bad designs are. Cole is like so overtly, obviously evil that it wraps around into amazing.

See an interesting game would do that. Spirit tracks isn't really 100% concerned with being interesting, it's concerned about trains and doing Phantom Hourglass but slightly better.

Face-Train is the best and I completely forgot it shows up this early!!

25. - Top - End - #25

Not saying you're wrong, but pressure gauges were very important pieces of equipment on steam locomotives, which the game's locomotives appear to be.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, but pressure gauges were very important pieces of equipment on steam locomotives, which the game's locomotives appear to be.
    Wikipedia's disambiguation page for the word 'Gauge' actually has a whole subheading for gauges in 'Railway Practice', which lists 5 different uses of the word in a railway context (Track Gauge, Loading Gauge, Structure Gauge, Axle Load, Variable Gauge).
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Trains of Thought (2)
    Show
    How about, more train zelda.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks [2] Full Metal Princess

Video Length: 36:23

In this episode, I attempt to make a fun little conversation about how Zelda's Butler's ranting about how we need to find Zelda to tell Zelda she's kidnapped is actually a hint towards the fact that we should hunt down that glowing sphere of light that came from her. As it turns out we get an explicit cutscene not five seconds later showing very clearly and concisely that actually no we don't need to do any thinking, just following the dead princess please. After some banter, we pick up a very nice and not bad at all flute and head off to the secret path that leads from the castle to the Spirit Tower.

The secret path isn't all that extensive. It features your bog standard Keese and Rats, but also introduces the new enemy Spinenuts! They're little goomba boys who somehow take two hits to kill if you don't jump attack them, and for some reason I cannot understand the jump attack just was NOT working for me on the day of recording. This is concerning. Other than that, it's the same puzzles we saw last time, almost literally, to teach you that drawing on the map screen is a very useful tool. All in all, not that bad.

Then we get some exposition from Anjean, one of the Lokomos (think train oriented sheikah) and we learn what we must do to defeat Malladus; fix the tower's segments by purifying the four shrines, then climb to the top to stop them from using Zelda's body as a meat suit for the demon king! Sounds simple enough, but as we enter the Spirit Tower we get the first of two frightening realizations in the game... this game has an Ocean King's Temple! Yes, that right, we have basically the exact same mechanic this time around! I don't think/recall there is a time limit this go around, but to make up for it they made the puzzles extra challenging. They also, however, introduced the BEST mechanic; Zelda can possess a stunned Phantom and become your controllable partner! This part is super cool, and is a fun inversion of the earlier stealth segment. Zelda can move fine, it's Link who has to sneak. I don't think this justifies having such an early stealth segment, but overall the end result is pretty cool I think. We get through the exactly one floor of puzzles to get our Rail Map, which is totally not a Sea Chart, and with that end the video on a high note.

So yeah. I hope you all enjoyed this one! I'll see you all next time for... the worst, if I'm remembering correctly. Take care.

Question, do you record your voice while playing, or voice over after? I think I know the answer but just checking to see if I'm right. My guess is...during?

Okay, so flute...i assume more blowing into microphone mechanics, based off of the commentary last game? Hm, so Zelda's spirit looks like a fairy (ball of light). That's neat.

Guard makes a dangerous to go alone comment. This game is hitting all the references. By the way, I never call anything a Chu. They're Red Chuchu's, so you were close.

#BackwardsL

I love name puns...engine = anjean..is she a train person, or is she riding in a train? Hmmm, the question is, why do they need a member of the royal family? What makes that so special?

Holy cow, I just realized, Zelda is a playable character in the story. Like she's going to be going along with us the whole game...that's so neat! Since the phantom died in a puff of smoke after Zelda was done with it, I'm counting it as a kill.

These tracks are Chain Tracks. Got it. I dig it. There's a reference to the turnstile in Skyward Sword? I'm also trying to think of what you're referencing in Twilight Princess.

EPISODE 2 KILL TALLY!

Bee Hive - 1
    Spinenut - 12
    Keese - 5
    Red Chuchu - 7
    Rats - 4
    Phantom - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 0 (x2 combo!)

Spirit Tracks
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 1)

Bee Hives - 2
    Spinenuts - 12
    Keese - 5
    Chuchus, Red - 7
    Rats - 4
    Phantoms - 1

Total Things Dead - 31

1st Place - Spinenuts, at 12!
    2nd Place - Red Chuchus, at 7!
    3rd Place - Keese, at 5!

Total Style Points - 0

Total Missed Rupees - 0
    Total Lost Rupees - 0

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

28. - Top - End - #28

Question, do you record your voice while playing, or voice over after? I think I know the answer but just checking to see if I'm right. My guess is...during?

Okay, so flute...i assume more blowing into microphone mechanics, based off of the commentary last game? Hm, so Zelda's spirit looks like a fairy (ball of light). That's neat.

Guard makes a dangerous to go alone comment. This game is hitting all the references. By the way, I never call anything a Chu. They're Red Chuchu's, so you were close.

#BackwardsL

I love name puns...engine = anjean..is she a train person, or is she riding in a train? Hmmm, the question is, why do they need a member of the royal family? What makes that so special?

Holy cow, I just realized, Zelda is a playable character in the story. Like she's going to be going along with us the whole game...that's so neat! Since the phantom died in a puff of smoke after Zelda was done with it, I'm counting it as a kill.

These tracks are Chain Tracks. Got it. I dig it. There's a reference to the turnstile in Skyward Sword? I'm also trying to think of what you're referencing in Twilight Princess.

This is live commentary.

You'll see : )

Dah, so close!

Like I said, she's using a motorized wheelchair. Girl's old! The Lokomos are just train ninjas... so I guess that makes them the Rail Tracer?

Yup! First time Zelda is ever playable... and she's a big chonkin' armour knight. Physically if not actually. It rules! Also yeah it's only in Skyward Sword, my bad. It's the turntable thing where we fight the first Arachea or something; the scorpion thing.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Wikipedia's disambiguation page for the word 'Gauge' actually has a whole subheading for gauges in 'Railway Practice', which lists 5 different uses of the word in a railway context (Track Gauge, Loading Gauge, Structure Gauge, Axle Load, Variable Gauge).
    Well, I'll be darned. My train knowledge has rather failed me in that case.

These aren't kills. If Zelda exits a Phantom, the armour falls apart, but the original phantom re-poofs back to where it started.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'll be darned. My train knowledge has rather failed me in that case.

These aren't kills. If Zelda exits a Phantom, the armour falls apart, but the original phantom re-poofs back to where it started.
    Well in the instance where she went where a phantom couldn't exist, it poofed into that classic smoke. If it respawns in the same room, I'll avoid counting, but I'll still count this original one.

World Building Projects:
    Magic