New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Most brokenly powerful lv11 PC possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Plus use the new UA to trade in natural explorer and primeval awareness, and a cool style if you don't want archery.
    Well yes... if you want to turn it up to 11. Which of course we do.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Well yes... if you want to turn it up to 11. Which of course we do.
    I want to turn this up to one hundred and eleven.

I want the DM to have a migraine trying to get out of whatever the heck we manage to come up with as a way to straight up murderface Strahd.

Now, remember: I’ve got to be able to *get* to Strahd, too. Strahd attacked Vallaki and assuming I need this new PC, we’re going to have to get through Castle Ravenloft.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    I want to turn this up to one hundred and eleven.

I want the DM to have a migraine trying to get out of whatever the heck we manage to come up with as a way to straight up murderface Strahd.

Now, remember: I’ve got to be able to *get* to Strahd, too. Strahd attacked Vallaki and assuming I need this new PC, we’re going to have to get through Castle Ravenloft.
    Spirit guardians is your friend, you can destroy encounters in castle ravenloft with that spell. just make sure you keep it up.
    Now it's available on the following classes: Cleric, Sorcerer (divine soul) and Paladin, as well as any class that has access to the Orzhov guild background, and has 3rd level spells.

Different approach: as your allowed UA, etc.

Perhaps an Orzhov Moon Druid, that turns in to an Air Elemental, or Fire elemental with Spirit Guardians running.
    You have:

• 90ft fly speed,
    • Damage Resistances to Lightning, Thunder; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks,
    • Damage Immunities to Poison,
    • Condition Immunities to Exhaustion, Grappled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned, Prone, Restrained, Unconscious.

Pick a Human (Mark of Finding) - this gives you some cool tracking abilities. When your quarry is within 60 feet of you, you have a sense of its location: it can't be hidden from you, gains no benefit from invisibility, and your attacks against it ignore half cover. As well as some bonuses to perception and survival. oh and you get darkvison as well.

You now have Dawn, and Protection from Good and Evil (the New Unearthed Arcana) death ward (from Orzhov) can also mean that you don't lose your wildshape form when you get reduced to 0hp, you stay at 1hp.

Taking feats: such as Mobile and Observant, can make you both an excellent radar (passive perception 23 or so) as well as a nightmare in combat.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

As mentioned above, Devotion Paladin really is gonna be the "most powerful" option as it truly is the ultimate Vampire slayer. Aasimar would be an obvious choice, although Yuan-Ti or Kalashtar would be interesting. Lucky is a fun free feat, but PAM or HAM would be good too. I'd just go full Paladin 11 but 2 levels of Fighter, Warlock, or Sorcerer all have advantages.

The other best choice and most obvious meta gaming character would be a Revised Gloom Stalker Ranger with Undead as Favored Enemy. With this you could throw in some War or Forge Cleric levels for Magic Weapon and other Cleric goodies.

5. - Top - End - #35

NecromancerGuy

Not quite following.

Believe you’re suggesting Sorcerer, quickening Sunbeam in turn 1 and then using your action that same turn to blast it again.

Thats 8d6 per blast, or 27 on average. So the initial turn is 54.

MM? Not following that. Can you elaborate?
    6d8*

54+20 = 74 because sunbeam, unlike most sunlight spells, makes a lot of explicit sunlight.

Then go ahead and empower that and turn 1 (our weakest round tbh) slams in for a solid 81 damage. The following rounds hit harder because quicken+upcast+empower just melts things.

With the more realistic assumption that Strad burns his legendary resists on both sunbeams (he saves at disadvantage because vampire) we're dropping 50.5ish damage R1.

-------

The main draw here is spamming the blind effect of beam to burn off his save-or-suck protection.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nhorianscum View Post
    6d8*

54+20 = 74 because sunbeam, unlike most sunlight spells, makes a lot of explicit sunlight.

Then go ahead and empower that and turn 1 (our weakest round tbh) slams in for a solid 81 damage. The following rounds hit harder because quicken+upcast+empower just melts things.

With the more realistic assumption that Strad burns his legendary resists on both sunbeams (he saves at disadvantage because vampire) we're dropping 50.5ish damage R1.

-------

The main draw here is spamming the blind effect of beam to burn off his save-or-suck protection.
    Well he'd take the Sunlight damage regardless from the Devotion Paladin that's wielding the Sunsword, or from one of the Clerics wielding the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.

It wouldn't be an extra 20 from the Sunbeam, unfortunately.

EDIT: I think there's something to be said for a Water Elemental. I can stop in Strahd's space, and he takes 20 acid damage from running water. Surely a Water Elemental qualifies, right? That's 40 automatic damage between that and Sunlight.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2019-11-12 at 08:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well he'd take the Sunlight damage regardless from the Devotion Paladin that's wielding the Sunsword, or from one of the Clerics wielding the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind.

It wouldn't be an extra 20 from the Sunbeam, unfortunately.

EDIT: I think there's something to be said for a Water Elemental. I can stop in Strahd's space, and he takes 20 acid damage from running water. Surely a Water Elemental qualifies, right? That's 40 automatic damage between that and Sunlight.
    I am not sure it counts as running water if you stop in his space. Thats more standing water.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

...would I be willing to make a Tempest Theurge?

Yes. Yes, I would.

9. - Top - End - #39

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    I am not sure it counts as running water if you stop in his space. Thats more standing water.
    Maelstrom and tidal wave are a bit less ambiguous(?).

-------

That said in terms of sunlight damage the more the better as Strad is quite mobile.

(210 without counting sunlight over 3 rounds still ain't bad for a stock standard character.)
    Last edited by Nhorianscum; 2019-11-12 at 09:39 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I want Strahd to fear *me*
    I want vengeance
    I want the night
    I WANT BATMAN

But really, I want to be the most over the top, squeezing blood from a stone kind of damage dealer

And that doesn’t have to be weapon damage; I’m OK with working with the party Wizard to cast Dawn and trap Strahd under a Wall of Force and watch that bastard burn until he’s extra crispy.

But weapon damage is typically easier to do and is less depending on party synergy.
    Well, if you want to be Batman, you got to play wizard: The Batman Wizard.

If you want to do melee damage, Paladin or Sorcadin is probably really good because smites do radiant damage. They mostly shine if you get lots of long rests though. Sorcerer/Hexblade is also pretty powerful (more so if it weren't for the damage type).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

If your core desire is revenge against Strahd, then consider a radiant damage focused build like

11th level Sun Soul Monk.
    Wood Elf, vHuman, Ghostwise Halfling, Half Elf ... pick one
    Why?
    1. Your ability to do radiant damage
    2. Your ability to stun lock Strahd
    3. Your ability to get to him.

You can throw radiant at him and/or you can slap him silly.
    When he turns into gaseous form you can keep throwing radiant damage at him.

That's a cool thing about Monks: that stun lock thing with multiple attacks are great for taking down single enemies.
    Your good Wisdom Save is handy versus various mind controlling effects by Vampire-Strahd.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-11-12 at 10:43 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

12. - Top - End - #42

OldWizardGuy

With the UA, I'd probably just go full Devotion Paladin.

You make your own magical weapon with +Cha to hit.

You have improved smite, and can smite for additional damage.

You and your allies get +Cha to saves and are Immune to Charm.

I'd also take Aasimar for the extra heal and that tasty necrotic resistance.

Using UA, you also have Spirit Guardians.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I want Strahd to fear *me*
    I want vengeance
    I want the night
    I WANT BATMAN

I’m OK with working with the party Wizard to cast Dawn and trap Strahd under a Wall of Force and watch that bastard burn until he’s extra crispy.
    I must say credit to your DM he has really made you hate the villain with a passion.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teaguethebean View Post
    I must say credit to your DM he has really made you hate the villain with a passion.
    My DM is great. Love my DM.

My issue isn't even necessarily with Strahd.

Its that Strahd might be the one to finally take out my beloved Barbarian boy. Nothing has even KO'd Grom the Barbarian before, he's never dipped below 0HP in the three campaigns I've played him in over the years.

Whatever creature is capable of that? That creature must be obliterated from the multiverse. Should a kobold someone take out Grom, then I'd make it my mission to obliterate all of Dragonkind, including Tiamat AND Bahamut! If it was a purple worm that kills Grom, I'd want vengeance against the worm. If Grom died from falling damage after failing an athletics check to jump across a chasm, I'd make a bridge builder for my next PC.

If it was the Lady of Pain that killed Grom..... Well, even I'm not that stupid. >_>

Point is, I want to build something so powerful Strahd will 100% regret ever killing my Barbarian.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If your core desire is revenge against Strahd, then consider a radiant damage focused build like

11th level Sun Soul Monk.
    Wood Elf, vHuman, Ghostwise Halfling, Half Elf ... pick one
    Why?
    1. Your ability to do radiant damage
    2. Your ability to stun lock Strahd
    3. Your ability to get to him.

You can throw radiant at him and/or you can slap him silly.
    When he turns into gaseous form you can keep throwing radiant damage at him.

That's a cool thing about Monks: that stun lock thing with multiple attacks are great for taking down single enemies.
    Your good Wisdom Save is handy versus various mind controlling effects by Vampire-Strahd.
    This is what I was going to suggest., though I would go tabaxi for hyperspeed shenanigans [monk 11 unarmored sped would be 50, doubled to 100 with feline agility, allowing you to dash with your action for another 100 and then use step of the wind to dash again with your bonus action for another 100' (total of 300' of movement, including across liquids or up vertical surfaces)]. Chasing Strahd right up a wall and trying to stunlock him or at least eat his legendary resistances would be real useful. Tossing ranged radiant punches would be useful against any vampire.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tieren View Post
    This is what I was going to suggest., though I would go tabaxi for hyperspeed shenanigans
    Not a bad plan. I like your thinking on this.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

So, in my Curse of Strahd game, **** hit the fan.

Spoiler
    Show
    My Barbarian got cornered by Strahd, who managed to separate me from the party, Strahd proceeded to use Animate Objects on me and absolutely shred me, even after my resistances, and has then charmed me. That's the nitty gritty of it.

My Barbarian is unlikely to make it, barring a miracle.

Now... I love my Barbarian. I do. I want him to make it. Its a PC I've played across various campaigns, and I'm incredibly proud that he'd never even been KO'd.

But I must prepare for the worst, it seems.

So.... as someone who would absolutely be seeking vengeance on the situation, as someone that's absolutely willing to show up with the biggest middle finger possible to Strahd and everything he represents:

What can we make?

All Unearthed Arcana available
    All books available
    Racial restrictions on feats removed
    Free bonus feat at lv1
    I mean, a straight Oath of Devo Paladins are sort of designed for this. And with an extra feat you and go Vhuman and get PAM and GWM at Lvl1 so your CHA and STR could be at 18 at lvl 11.

Also the Revised Ranger is pretty good.

I think the most over looked option woul be the Sun Soul monk. Tons of radiant damage! DEX based Radiant Damage!!! Maybe think about feats like Mobile or Tough. Elven accuracy is great for this build and elves have advantage on saves agaist charm. Mix in 4 levels of revised ranger for hunter's mark, more WIS mod damage, and hunter or gloom stalker goodies. Equalize that undead m*****f*****.

18. - Top - End - #48

I see good ideas but nothing broken. Let me give it a shot :
    Race warforged or Yuan Ti (more armor or advantage on saving throws).

If warforged start warlock so you get prof bonus armor. If Yuan Ti, start sorcerer for con saves.

Build:
    Warlock 2 (Undying UA)
    Wizard 6 (Lore wizard UA)
    Sorcerer 3 (Phoenix UA)

Bonus feat elemental adept (fire)
    Warlock invocations (Agonizing Blast + Devil Sight)
    Metamagic (quickened and subtle)

Stats: dump Strength and Intelligence and get 18 Charisma, 14 Constitution and 14 Dexterity.

Before you battle Stradth, convert spell slot for extra sorcery points. Strategy, upcast magic missle, quicken (EB), change to fire damage, spend spell slots to boost every bolt with 2d10 dmg and profit from +8 on all fire spells. If he uses shield, subtle counterspell. Or counterspell his counterspell if he has it. Reroll dmg dies.

Stradth will die in one or two turns maximum. You can also go wizard 8 and sorcerer 1 for 20 Charisma. If you run out of spell slots, you can Eldrich blast with 3x Charisma modifier on each blast.

Good luck with the battle :)
    Last edited by Foxydono; 2019-11-12 at 03:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

...would I be willing to make a Tempest Theurge?

Yes. Yes, I would.
    I am interested in what this "Tempest Theurge" is and would like to know more.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    I am interested in what this "Tempest Theurge" is and would like to know more.
    Sit down, take your coat off.

Let me tell you a story.

A story about Unearthed Arcana, and some brokenly overpowered bull**** that stepped all over the toes of the Cleric class.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d...zardVF2017.pdf

Theurge, in D&D, was a blend of Arcane and Divine casting. In 5th Edition, they tried an Unearthed Arcana where they squeezed it into the Wizard as a subclass. However, because Cleric capstones are at level 17 and Wizards are at 14, this enabled Wizards to get Cleric capstones at 14th level.

You can see why Clerics would be upset.

Even worse, the Theurge Wizards got Cleric Domain abilities.

So a Theurge Tempest gets to maximize lightning or thunder damage. Problem is, Wizards get lightning and thunder spells that Tempest Clerics do not.

Like Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning. Maximized, no damage rolling.

See the problem with this?

Well, normally its a problem... In my scenario, it isn't a bug, its a feature.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foxydono View Post
    I see good ideas but nothing broken. Let me give it a shot :
    Race warforged or Yuan Ti (more armor or advantage on saving throws).

If warforged start warlock so you get prof bonus armor. If Yuan Ti, start sorcerer for con saves.

Build:
    Warlock 2 (Undying UA)
    Wizard 6 (Lore wizard UA)
    Sorcerer 3 (Phoenix UA)

Bonus feat elemental adept (fire)
    Warlock invocations (Agonizing Blast + Devil Sight)
    Metamagic (quickened and subtle)

Stats: dump Strength and Intelligence and get 18 Charisma, 14 Constitution and 14 Dexterity.

Before you battle Stradth, convert spell slot for extra sorcery points. Strategy, upcast magic missle, quicken, change to fire damage, spend spell slots to boost every bolt with 2d10 dmg and profit from +8 on all fire spells. If he uses shield, subtle counterspell. Or counterspell his counterspell if he has it. Reroll dmg dies.

Stradth will die in one or two turns maximum. You can also go wizard 8 and sorcerer 1 for 20 Charisma. If you run out of spell slots, you can Eldrich blast with 3x Charisma modifier on each blast.

Good luck with the battle :)
    Unfortunately, if they are playing with the multiclassing rules, you can't dump int since you need at least a 13 to multiclass into wizard.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Unfortunately, if they are playing with the multiclassing rules, you can't dump int since you need at least a 13 to multiclass into wizard.
    Ah yes, I read it wrong, I thought restrictions on MC were removed, but he talked about racial restrictions on feats. You can still take 14 Con, 14 Dex, 16 Charisma and 13 Intelligence after racial bonus, so that's not a big obstacle.
    Last edited by Foxydono; 2019-11-12 at 02:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

I have an idea.

What if... Alright. Hear me out.

Big Curse of Strahd spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    In CoS, in the epilogue, one of the possible readings the DM can give you (its really their discretion) is that... Despite you having taken out Strahd, the Dark Powers of Barovia are still there. And they shall always be. And eventually, no matter what, they'll re-form Barovia as it was.

And eventually the mists will form again, and new adventurers will be sucked in, and the cycle can't be broken.

So really, everything you did? Futile.

HOWEVER, here's my idea:

What if... I *am* Strahd?

In the treasure of Castle Ravenloft, there's a Luckblade with one wish remaining. I know its a bit of DM discretion, but...

Kill Strahd.
    Use Wish for True Resurrection on Strahd.
    He's now Humanoid, no longer Undead.
    CAST MAGIC JAR.

I'm Strahd. Ruler of Barovia. And you retain *your* mind of the person you possess with Magic Jar.

So I could go back to the Amber Temple, and become a vampire again.

And rule forever and ever...

Maybe as a kind ruler.... maybe not.

What do you think?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have an idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    In CoS, in the epilogue, one of the possible readings the DM can give you (its really their discretion) is that... Despite you having taken out Strahd, the Dark Powers of Barovia are still there. And they shall always be. And eventually, no matter what, they'll re-form Barovia as it was.

And eventually the mists will form again, and new adventurers will be sucked in, and the cycle can't be broken.

HOWEVER, here's my idea:

In the treasure of Castle Ravenloft, there's a Luckblade with one wish remaining. I know its a bit of DM discretion, but...

Kill Strahd.
    CAST MAGIC JAR.

I'm Strahd. Ruler of Barovia. And you retain *your* mind of the person you possess with Magic Jar.

What do you think?
    I think you're a madman and I think I love you.

25. - Top - End - #55

Goblin

In the Sidekick UA and Find Familar Spell or Beast Master Pet I cant find any reason for them NOT to work together other than its straight up cheese.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an idea.

Spoiler
    Show

HOWEVER, here's my idea:

Kill Strahd.
    CAST MAGIC JAR.

What do you think?
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you're looking for unholy levels of damage with a Wish that would probably bake Strahd too, have you considered using it on one of the sarcophagi to set an ancient evil loose? Dahlver-Nar was possibly the strongest cleric in D&D history, just having him exist in Barovia is horrible for the vampire lord. Delban, Khirad, and Zhudun are elder evil stars, unleashing any of them essentially incinerates Barovia. Tenebrous is the god-vestige of Orcus, keeper of the Last Word, a power that can kill greater gods. Shami-Amourae, once the undisputed Queen of the Succubi and consort of Demogorgon, might actually let you live after freeing her and laying waste to Barovia. As a pet.

The most dangerous uses of that Wish that aren't liable to get everyone killed are either resurrecting Argynvost (ancient silver dragon, eat it Strahd) or Sergei, his own uncorrupted brother and the original wielder of the Sunsword. Though that last one depends on your DM's interpretations of how great of a warrior Sergei was, and if he does any interplay with the Sunsword. When my players did exactly this, I made him a mid level paladin who amplified the strength of the Sunsword, but your mileage will vary.

Saint Markovia's up there, too. You do come across her thighbone...

27. - Top - End - #57

BarbarianGuy

Half-Elf Devotion Paladin 6/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5

GWM + Elven Accuracy, I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Just overload your immunities to his shennanigans, and insert this biggest weapon you can find into his face.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongobear View Post
    Half-Elf Devotion Paladin 6/Divine Soul Sorcerer 5

GWM + Elven Accuracy, I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Just overload your immunities to his shennanigans, and insert this biggest weapon you can find into his face.
    Elven Accuracy doesn’t apply to Strength, so no, I can’t figure out the rest :P

29. - Top - End - #59

BarbarianGuy

Elven Accuracy doesn’t apply to Strength, so no, I can’t figure out the rest :P
    Oh oops, mixxed my local groups houserules with actual RAW.

Uhhh, swap GWM with Revenant Blade? I don't remember if Wayfinders stuff was on the list of allowed material.

If not, swapping to Sword and Board still works, or even swap to Hexblade 3/Sorc 2 for EA via Charisma.
    I Am A: Neutral Good Half-Orc Fighter/Barbarian (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-17
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-16
    Charisma-13

30. - Top - End - #60

I don't know if it's "most brokenly powerful" but my go-to archetype for killing undead is the Blood Hunter, Ghost Slayer. We ended our CoS campaign at 10th level, but if you're 11th level, the Ghost Hunter is amazing.

• Crimson Rite damage jumps to 1d8
    • Blood Maledicts get a 3rd use per Rest
    • Supernal Surge gives the ability to move through objects/creatures, and make a third attack with the attack action

So go with a sword & board build, DEX based. Get your WIS up to 16 so you can Surge 3 times. Get the Blood Curse of the Marked Maledict to double your Crimson Rite dice. You'll have Rite of the Dawn, which adds 1d8+WIS radiant damage to your attacks.

When you fight Strahd, activate Rite of the Dawn on your Rapier, preferably before combat starts. When you're in melee, use Blood curse of the Marked as a bonus action, then Surge to attack three times. Each hit does 3d8+DEX+WIS+2. (Assuming you have Dueling as your fighting style.) You can do this for three consecutive turns.

(I contrived a "poor man's" version of this for my old character using a multiclass of Blood Hunter and Revised Ranger, combining Rite of the Dawn, Two Weapon Fighting, Hunter's Mark, and Favored Enemy: Undead. It took too many Bonus Actions to get everything online, so it didn't always work very well. But when it did work, undead went down quickly. I recommend the build above; simpler and more efficient.)

I'm migraining tonight. Stupid math errors may occur at any moment, without warning.
    Last edited by JakOfAllTirades; 2019-11-12 at 09:06 PM.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?