The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How much Fast Healing do you need to justify LA +1?

Thank you, everyone, for helping me. After carefully reading through all the posts, I have decided that the FH will be half of his level.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

That seems too low, for any level of optimization. Two +2 stats is on the very low end of LA +1, and more is probably required. A +2 con is worth 1 HP per level plus some other benefits. The most significant part of combat is the first 3 rounds. Meaning about 1.5 HP per level in healing in that time. A little more HP than +2 con, but not the other benefits of +2 con. So it's worth maybe one +2 to a stat. The ability to heal to full between fights is significant, but you get that at fast healing 1. And methods such as a wand of cure light wounds make it obsolete at mid and high level. At low level it is somewhat more useful, but still not usually a big deal. Your lower HP from the LA probably makes you more vulnerable, in fact. Though it's true that if monsters don't think to coup de grace you it could be handy to avoid low level death... even though you drop faster, hit softer and put the rest of your party at higher risk. Even a fast healing of 1 per character level would be a bit on the weak side. Worth about a +4 to con, give or take, with no other special abilities. Something I might do if I was being very cautious and the group was low optimization. I'd suggest 1.5 per level (round down), and if the group optimizes well, even higher than that.

Another alternative rather than increase the amount, would be to improve the type of the ability as he increases in level. Upgrade it to a limited form of regeneration when he reaches a certain level for example, perhaps at the level when cure light wound wands are cheap. At an even higher level let him heal conditions if they're on a limited list each round, and/or require 2 rounds to remove them. More than two rounds and again the ability because weak, similar to between combat healing. Etc. Then the amount of healing might be 0.5 per level to balance out the additional abilities.

I can see why the game might be stingy about giving out fast healing 1 or any fast healing because it's an unusual ability that's hard to get directly. But with all the other ways to heal I think it's not that strong in the hands of a player. In the hands of well organized hit and run monsters it might even be worth more. Or in many NPCs going about their day to day business. But not that strong for PCS.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2019-11-16 at 12:33 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the best solution is to make it a custom feat that he can take (better yet would be a magic item). This is the kind of thing feats are for. A certain amount of fast healing isn't very symmetrical with the benefits of a class level, so it's hard to compare.
    The Age of Warriors (revived 2019) - Huge fanmade TOB sequel. Content needs PEACH and input.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

^ I agree with that approach too. Probably a feat, but either might be better than LA. For fluff you'll probably want to say it can only be taken at level 1, and give some kind of backstory explanation. To keep every commoner or traveler with occupational wounds from taking the feat, make the explanation something extraordinary that most backgrounds couldn't fulfill. And/or make it not kick in until level 2 or 3, from rounding down. That would also help with the issue of fast healing 1 being a bit too strong for really low levels. Fast healing 1 per 2 levels seems fine for a feat. Maybe 1 per 3 levels if the group's optimization is low.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2019-11-16 at 10:53 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)