New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Starspawn of Cthulhu (Player Race) PEACH

It's me again, with another bizarre player race homebrew. Show of hands: Who hasn't wanted to play the eldritch descendant of a Great Old One? These beings aren't meant to be the direct spawn of Cthulhu, but those whose bloodline was polluted by eldritch ichor somewhere along the way (Whateley/Innsmouth style cross-breeding) or potentially a curse or or warlock pact gone awry). These beings were formerly humanoid, but have since become something... aberrant.

So, questions? Comments? Concerns?

STARSPAWN TRAITS

Your starspawn character has the following traits.
    Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Intelligence score increases by 1.
    Age. Starspawn mature as their host race does, until they metamorphose into their true form. Once they've experienced the change, they show no signs of aging beyond that point except for growing larger, so in theory, a starspawn could live well over a century.
    Alignment. Starspawn are alien and inscrutable beings and their unknowable motives tend to be perceived as chaotic neutral at best and chaotic evil at worst.
    Size. If not for their hunched posture, starspawn would stand between 7 and 8 feet tall. They weigh between 280 and 340 pounds. Your size is Medium.
    Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet, and you have a swimming speed of 30 feet.
    Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
    Amphibious. You can breathe air and water.
    Aberrant Brain. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened, and resistance to psychic damage.
    Tentacles. You can grasp things with your tentacles. They have a reach of 5 feet, and can lift a number of pounds equal to five times your Strength score. You can use them to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your DM might allow other simple tasks to be added to that list of options.
    Your tentacles can't wield weapons or shields or do anything that requires manual precision, such as using tools or magic items or performing the somatic components of a spell.
    Mind Link. You can speak telepathically to any creature you can see within 60 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic messages, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language or be telepathic itself.
    As a bonus action when you’re speaking telepathically to a creature, you can give that creature the ability to speak telepathically to you until the start of your next turn. To use this ability, the creature must be within 60 feet of you and be able to see you.
    Hybrid Nature. You have two creature types: humanoid and aberration. You can be affected by a game effect if it works on either of your creature types.
    Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Deep Speech.

Dweller in the Depths [Racial Feat]
    Prerequisite: Starspawn, 8th level
    You’ve evolved to share not only your forebears’ comfort in the depths of the ocean, but in the space between worlds.
    • Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
    • Your formerly vestigial wings mutate into flightworthy appendages. You have a flying speed of 30 feet.
    • Adapted to even the most extreme ocean depths or the vacuum of space, you no longer need to breathe, you have resistance to cold damage, and you ignore any of the drawbacks caused by a deep, underwater environment.
    Last edited by Sir_Popard; 2019-12-25 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Clarifying title
    Please feel free to check out my previous questionable attempts to homebrew monstrous races for D&D 5e: Half-Rakshasa, Chitine , Drider, Aranea, Avolakia, Chiro (Batfolk), & Flayerspawn

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Starspawn of Cthulhu (Player Race) PEACH

Seems fine though I’d add something about a grand compulsion under which all star spawn labor. At times two might operate at cross purposes but they recognize their destiny is what it is. I might also balloon their Telepathy to 100ft and make them voiceless, requiring any verbal components be communicated telepathically to targets of the spell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Seems fine though I’d add something about a grand compulsion under which all star spawn labor. At times two might operate at cross purposes but they recognize their destiny is what it is. I might also balloon their Telepathy to 100ft and make them voiceless, requiring any verbal components be communicated telepathically to targets of the spell.
    Thank you for the feedback. The grand compulsion might be more of a flavor aspect than something I'd want to make a mechanical trait, but I like the idea. 100' Telepathy sounds cool, but I tried to limit the telepathy to something player races have been granted.
    Please feel free to check out my previous questionable attempts to homebrew monstrous races for D&D 5e: Half-Rakshasa, Chitine , Drider, Aranea, Avolakia, Chiro (Batfolk), & Flayerspawn

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

That’s why I recommended the voiceless trait, as a drawback to compensate. And the compulsion was intended as a flavor thing to reinforce their alien mindset. Something like “gather 100 people in a particular place when the stars align” could get you in a lot of trouble if the place you choose is dangerous, or if you imprison them there. What happens when the stars align? maybe it awakens their Starspawn blood, maybe they’re all possessed, maybe the sky opens up, maybe something happens on some distant world that furthers their progenitors cosmic whims. Only the DM knows.