The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Does anybody know of a good future science blog?

I’m looking for a blog (preferably on Medium, Wix, Squarespace, Wordpress or Blogspot) that updates very frequently with blog posts about hypothetical technologies or sciences. It doesn’t have to explain each novum in detail; just generate interesting science/tech ideas. I don’t want something professional like nextbigfuture and Futuretimeline.net. The more amateur and obscure the better.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Does anybody know of a good future science blog?

I might suggest referencing the similar thread on this topic from just over three months ago. And the further linked thread therein.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

You're being way too restrictive. You want an amateur blog on future technologies that updates frequently that is well-known enough for someone to recommend to you. That just isn't going to happen, dude. It's like if I asked for a site that has photographs of 19th century manatees in Finland. Can such a thing exist? Maybe, but it's pretty unlikely. Would anyone on a largely D&D-based forum be able to help direct me to it? Not a chance.

Any sort of reporting on "future technologies" is going to be largely professional to be even halfway credible. There is no real amateur level; if you want to see what amateur level looks like, then you can check out the book Soonish, which is going to be as amateur as you can get, and I'll bet that that would be too professional for you. The amateur level you're wanting isn't future technology, it's science fiction.

Not to mention, you're trying to offload your research onto other people. You know how Zach Weinersmith was able to find the future technologies he wrote about in Soonish? He researched them. He spent a lot of time trying to find out about new and emerging technologies. I would be flabbergasted if any step of that was asking people on random forums if they know about any blogs. I get that you're really interested in this, and that's fantastic; don't let me or anyone else dull your excitement or interest in it. But do realize that not many other people on here are interested in that, and don't keep expecting someone to be able to wander in and hand you the answer you want if you ask every six months or so. You're going to have to put in the legwork, pound the pavement, and find what's out there. For all we know, you already have found what's out there; what you want may simply not exist. But this isn't something you can just ask random people to steer you towards,because you'll end up asking the same question again in another six months and that's a cycle that just won't be broken.

But I have to ask you a question, and I really want you to think about this - are you interested in future technologies, or are you interested in the idea of future technologies? Because you seem to know more than a few websites dedicated to them, but you don't seem to have any interest in reading about them, and anything STEM-related is going to be pretty heavy on getting into the "professional" sounding details pretty quickly, because that's by and large how STEM fields work. If you're not interested in that, or in getting to a place where you can be interested in that, then you're probably just romanticizing future technologies and are more interested in the idea of them than what they actually entail.

If you look deep inside yourself and think you really are interested in future technologies themselves, and not just the idea of it? Then start cracking down and reading Futuretimeline.net or nextbigfuture or whatever other sites you've found, because that's where all the information is probably going to be.

This isn't a question you need to answer to me or to anyone else. This is a question you need to answer to yourself. So if you just sideswipe it or don't really think about it or brush it aside, you'll only be doing a disservice to yourself.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-11-11 at 11:50 PM.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're being way too restrictive. You want an amateur blog on future technologies that updates frequently that is well-known enough for someone to recommend to you. That just isn't going to happen, dude. It's like if I asked for a site that has photographs of 19th century manatees in Finland. Can such a thing exist? Maybe, but it's pretty unlikely. Would anyone on a largely D&D-based forum be able to help direct me to it? Not a chance.

Any sort of reporting on "future technologies" is going to be largely professional to be even halfway credible. There is no real amateur level; if you want to see what amateur level looks like, then you can check out the book Soonish, which is going to be as amateur as you can get, and I'll bet that that would be too professional for you. The amateur level you're wanting isn't future technology, it's science fiction.

Not to mention, you're trying to offload your research onto other people. You know how Zach Weinersmith was able to find the future technologies he wrote about in Soonish? He researched them. He spent a lot of time trying to find out about new and emerging technologies. I would be flabbergasted if any step of that was asking people on random forums if they know about any blogs. I get that you're really interested in this, and that's fantastic; don't let me or anyone else dull your excitement or interest in it. But do realize that not many other people on here are interested in that, and don't keep expecting someone to be able to wander in and hand you the answer you want if you ask every six months or so. You're going to have to put in the legwork, pound the pavement, and find what's out there. For all we know, you already have found what's out there; what you want may simply not exist. But this isn't something you can just ask random people to steer you towards,because you'll end up asking the same question again in another six months and that's a cycle that just won't be broken.

But I have to ask you a question, and I really want you to think about this - are you interested in future technologies, or are you interested in the idea of future technologies? Because you seem to know more than a few websites dedicated to them, but you don't seem to have any interest in reading about them, and anything STEM-related is going to be pretty heavy on getting into the "professional" sounding details pretty quickly, because that's by and large how STEM fields work. If you're not interested in that, or in getting to a place where you can be interested in that, then you're probably just romanticizing future technologies and are more interested in the idea of them than what they actually entail.

If you look deep inside yourself and think you really are interested in future technologies themselves, and not just the idea of it? Then start cracking down and reading Futuretimeline.net or nextbigfuture or whatever other sites you've found, because that's where all the information is probably going to be.

This isn't a question you need to answer to me or to anyone else. This is a question you need to answer to yourself. So if you just sideswipe it or don't really think about it or brush it aside, you'll only be doing a disservice to yourself.
    I’ve been editing this for months doing tons of research and EVERY single cited redlink was made by me. Check it out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...l_technologies

I’m like a future tech/sci fi slut. I can’t be satisfied. I just want new ideas all the time to think about. My OCD meds obviously aren’t helping and my therapist is like talking to an unhelpful wall.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum77 View Post
    I’ve been editing this for months doing tons of research and EVERY single cited redlink was made by me.
    ...if you're going to create those, why not put the energy into creating a page about those technologies in the first place?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I’ve been editing this for months doing tons of research and EVERY single cited redlink was made by me. Check it out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...l_technologies

I’m like a future tech/sci fi slut. I can’t be satisfied. I just want new ideas all the time to think about. My OCD meds obviously aren’t helping and my therapist is like talking to an unhelpful wall.
    To be blunt... those are virtually useless. There's a lot of stuff on there that doesn't qualify as what I would call a hypothetical technology. Hypothetical has a specific meaning in science. It does not mean "nice sounding name I heard in a SciFi story". I will bet any amount of money you are willing to specify that there will never be a universal snake antidote. Because not all snake venoms work the same way. Some have opposite effects, so a thing that is an antidote to one would make the other worse.

Open up the first article in that list. Alcubierre drive. What do you see? A page that contains, in order, a general discussion of the idea, a history of its invention and mathematics and Physics of how it would work, along with a discussion of why it might not work. That's what makes a technology hypothetical. That's not what your red links are. They are fancy names from SciFi book.

I don't think you listed hypothetical technologies, it seems closer to you vandalizing a Wiki page.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

It's a start though. Maximum wants to know about future technology and wants to write or otherwise publish something about them. That's consistent between all of their topics. Editing Wikipedia or more productive in that sense than asking around on a d&d forum for more information. I do however agree with the people above me that just the buzzwords don't add a lot. Essentially, just the terms with no page behind them is another request for information. A good next step could be to use those sources you've found to create at least stubs for these technologies. Try to get people interested in them. That's what you want to achieve right? Be it an ABC book for children, a Star Wars fanfiction, a technology of the day calendar, just to write something, anything about lots of future tech? Well, if you can meet their quality standards and are willing to take advice from other editors, Wikipedia a good outlet for that.
    The Hindsight Awards, round 2: Rate the best movies of 1999.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    To be blunt... those are virtually useless. There's a lot of stuff on there that doesn't qualify as what I would call a hypothetical technology. Hypothetical has a specific meaning in science. It does not mean "nice sounding name I heard in a SciFi story". I will bet any amount of money you are willing to specify that there will never be a universal snake antidote. Because not all snake venoms work the same way. Some have opposite effects, so a thing that is an antidote to one would make the other worse.

Open up the first article in that list. Alcubierre drive. What do you see? A page that contains, in order, a general discussion of the idea, a history of its invention and mathematics and Physics of how it would work, along with a discussion of why it might not work. That's what makes a technology hypothetical. That's not what your red links are. They are fancy names from SciFi book.

I don't think you listed hypothetical technologies, it seems closer to you vandalizing a Wiki page.
    All of my links are to OFFICIAL scientific websites. Many on Reddit and Twitter liked my work. Creating pages on Wikipedia is hard because they are picky.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

All of my links are to OFFICIAL scientific websites. Many on Reddit and Twitter liked my work. Creating pages on Wikipedia is hard because they are picky.
    Yeah, you've done a decent job referencing your sources. The question is more about how many of those technologies belong in the list. For example, should a medicine for acne be listed in the same list that talks about dyson spheres and antigravity? Furthermore, is it sensible to have those items on the list without wikipedia articles compiling all info to back them up? Some of the names are also misleading. The anti-evolutionary drug is apparently something intended to stop bacteria from adapting, but that's not clear from the name (or rather, it is clear once you start reading the referenced article and assuming you know a thing or two about the current troubles with resistant super-bugs, but without doing that it looks really odd). Basically, if someone wanted, they could create a list of future technologies that's over 10,000 entries long, each with a link to a fairly reputable site. And that list would be pretty much useless.

If you want to increase how useful the list is, first make sure that every new technology gets an article and then start organizing the list on things like technology readiness level, impact on society and scientific field.

edit: also, just to make clear, likes on twitter and reddit are not a good measurement for how useful something is from a technological or scientific point of view. A picture of a cute cat will likely get tons of likes. A paper on the likely presence of Ammonia on Enceladus or an interesting new way for detecting craters on icy moons using NIR data wouldn't.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-11-12 at 04:10 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Yeah, you've done a decent job referencing your sources. The question is more about how many of those technologies belong in the list. For example, should a medicine for acne be listed in the same list that talks about dyson spheres and antigravity? Furthermore, is it sensible to have those items on the list without wikipedia articles compiling all info to back them up? Some of the names are also misleading. The anti-evolutionary drug is apparently something intended to stop bacteria from adapting, but that's not clear from the name (or rather, it is clear once you start reading the referenced article and assuming you know a thing or two about the current troubles with resistant super-bugs, but without doing that it looks really odd). Basically, if someone wanted, they could create a list of future technologies that's over 10,000 entries long, each with a link to a fairly reputable site. And that list would be pretty much useless.

If you want to increase how useful the list is, first make sure that every new technology gets an article and then start organizing the list on things like technology readiness level, impact on society and scientific field.

edit: also, just to make clear, likes on twitter and reddit are not a good measurement for how useful something is from a technological or scientific point of view. A picture of a cute cat will likely get tons of likes. A paper on the likely presence of Ammonia on Enceladus or an interesting new way for detecting craters on icy moons using NIR data wouldn't.
    You raise good points but putting Acne vaccine on another page besides Dyson spheres and Anti-gravity, while logical, just can’t happen as they don’t have a lot of pages like “List of hypothetical technology”. It’s better to just bunch them all up and read the ones you want. I honestly am tired of creating Wikipedia pages. If you make them wrong, people will block you.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do you mind if I ask why you specifically want amateur blogs and the like? It's probably hard for us cuz you're saying that obscure websites are best, but by definition, obscure websites are websites that few know about.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring OOC and IC // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade OOC and IC // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

12. - Top - End - #12

Except I went through to the page you linked for the universal snake venom because that's sort of my field and checked hte primary source and... I'm pretty sure the article you cited is just wrong. The original science publication basically calls it a better cobra antivenom, not a universal antivenom.

That's the problem with this kind of thing. The secondary sources are quite often just wrong, or so simplified they basically have no truth left in them.

I was a bit harsh up there, sorry. I'm just saying: this is difficult and even journalists with relevant trainign get it wrong a lot.
    "

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Do you mind if I ask why you specifically want amateur blogs and the like? It's probably hard for us cuz you're saying that obscure websites are best, but by definition, obscure websites are websites that few know about.
    I want to think about all sorts of future tech ideas. They help me think of my own ideas.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Except I went through to the page you linked for the universal snake venom because that's sort of my field and checked hte primary source and... I'm pretty sure the article you cited is just wrong. The original science publication basically calls it a better cobra antivenom, not a universal antivenom.

That's the problem with this kind of thing. The secondary sources are quite often just wrong, or so simplified they basically have no truth left in them.

I was a bit harsh up there, sorry. I'm just saying: this is difficult and even journalists with relevant trainign get it wrong a lot.
    Thank-you!

15. - Top - End - #15

I want to think about all sorts of future tech ideas. They help me think of my own ideas.
    See, that's the rub. It sounds like you don't want actual future technology ideas, you want science fiction technology ideas. You want things that sound cool. There's a reason that amateur future tech blogs with a constant and steady stream of new content are so hard to find, and that's because that's not how it works. STEM fields are about scientific rigor, not thinking up cool things.

And there's nothing wrong with thinking up cool things. You just have to recognize that it's what you're doing. And there are really good ways to do that; for example, think of an existing thing, and then think, "how could this be better?" Like if you see a beam of light and think, "what if I could make that solid on command," then you just created light bridges, which are objectively awesome. Or if you think, "man, this commute sucks, why's it gotta take half an hour to get to work? I wish I could just be there already," you just invented teleporters, which became an iconic part of Star Trek. You don't need to try to look everywhere for future tech ideas because stuff like that is, to the best of our knowledge, not possible.

Know thyself. Or, in this case, know what you're actually trying to find and the search for it will be much easier. That's not as pithy though.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Going on from what Peelee said, have you considered writing a fiction technology blog? There's a few things that go on this direction on Youtube that I know and they are pretty popular, if done right.

Your format could be something like "Every week I look at one technological item/gadet/macguffin from a popular SciFi franchise and discuss how it could work, and if anyone in real life is actually working on something similar". Then you could, say, talk about Lightsabers and then mention new technologies like plasma scalpels, laser cutters and the kind of magnetic plasma containment used in things like fusion reactors.

The important thing is that - or so I think at least - to be interesting and engaging you need more content than just a title. Actually, you need more content than a short google search would deliver, or at least presented in a different ,more engaging way.

It would be less scientifically rigorous, feature more of the kind of technology that seems to interest you and you wouldn't have to read primary, technical sources for it, or at least not much.
    "

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going on from what Peelee said, have you considered writing a fiction technology blog? There's a few things that go on this direction on Youtube that I know and they are pretty popular, if done right.

Your format could be something like "Every week I look at one technological item/gadet/macguffin from a popular SciFi franchise and discuss how it could work, and if anyone in real life is actually working on something similar". Then you could, say, talk about Lightsabers and then mention new technologies like plasma scalpels, laser cutters and the kind of magnetic plasma containment used in things like fusion reactors.

The important thing is that - or so I think at least - to be interesting and engaging you need more content than just a title. Actually, you need more content than a short google search would deliver, or at least presented in a different ,more engaging way.

It would be less scientifically rigorous, feature more of the kind of technology that seems to interest you and you wouldn't have to read primary, technical sources for it, or at least not much.
    Yes I actually did. I got 2 people from Reddit to assist me but they didn’t want to do it the way I wanted so I ended up ditching the idea.

18. - Top - End - #18

Why not try it by yourself?
    "

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oddly enough, here's exactly what he asked for: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

Unfortunately it only lists all used and proposed means of building a spaceship. But it certainly ticks all other requirements.

I've seen exactly one other "here's a whole list of facts on my favorite things to get writers to at least get the terminology right": it was an explanation of how guns work/how to shoot a gun for writers (I'd assume mainly mystery writers, but any modern action writing would benefit as well). (no idea if it is still there, it was occasionally referenced in rec.arts.sf-lovers dreaded gnu threads). I doubt you will get any other sites, although the book "Soonish" is almost certainly what you are asking for.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Oddly enough, here's exactly what he asked for: [url]
    Well I'll be!

... Any chance you got 200 year old Finnish manatee pictures?

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Well I'll be!

Well asked.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Well I'll be!

No, but I happened to come across these whilst searching. Please enjoy this collection of 19th century Manatee photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So a ranger is like a Bachelor of Applied Druidology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    What's the word for 'fear of being eaten by a mounted bear in half-plate' again? Because that's the one I have.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    No, but I happened to come across these whilst searching. Please enjoy this collection of 19th century Manatee photos.
    Well played sir or maam, well played!