New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Hell as Elven Deities

That's an entirely different direction than I would have taken Baalzebul in, but I like it.

My idea was that he has basically two fields: lying and subterfuge, and punishment and retribution. So his followers would be artists, actors, spies and spies on the one hand, but also judges, guards, inquisitors and other police types on the other.

As a patron of criminals, perhaps his sphere could be atoning for your mistakes? Perhaps criminals, are forcefully dedicated to Baalzebul, because they now owe a debt to society they have to make up. Those who aren't executed go into debt slavery, branded with an arcane symbol of Baalzebul until they have earned their freedom.

I think that fits him more than mockery, which, if anyone, I'd give to Levistus. LEvistus is the one raging uselessly against a block of ice. Baalzebul was transformed as punishment, but still essentially does his duty as a duke.

Levistus, perhaps, could be the Example god. As in "look what happens if you defy the law". There are parades and statues in his name organized by the priesthood of other gods, and his tributes are criminals who are publicly punished by pillory or the stocks.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2019-12-17 at 06:43 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #32

Ooh, another idea. Maybe Baalzebul could get a carneval. An annual festival where some laws and traditions are suspended. To relieve some pressure from an overstrict regime. That plays into three of the themes, art, subterfuge and revolution.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

With a 'King for a Day' who gets sacrificed perhaps?
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

You know what that carnival idea reminds me of? This celebration from "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". Just look a those lyrics:
    Close the churches and the schools
    It's the day for breaking rules
    Come and join the feast of ...
    Fools!
    Will the Sacrifice King also be chosen from among the ugliest?

5. - Top - End - #35

Sacrificial kings are a bit Asmodeus-y, but they are very traditional in mythology, so why not.

As for those hunchback of Notre Dame lyrics, those are rather tame for European carneval songs. Fools, kings for a day and carnevals are a big deal. I mean, in my home town, we used to burn local politicans in effigy every year in February and everyone agreed it was a bit of well-meaning fun.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Actually I think our favorite would be Lord of Hell-assassin-in-an-ice block could well have a decent following within elvish society. If you take him as the self-discipline type instead of the social-discipline type LE. Those elves that still want the anti-fey protection of the infernal pacts but aren't about all of Elvish kind bowing to them. That of course sets up a conflict with the general which can be solved by the ice-block part....he serves as a warning to still work on behalf of the greater society and those not of the hierarchy loving kind of elves something to hold higher than themselves (freeing him)

Yes it is a contradiction but so is Lord of Hell known for movement trapped immobile...so lean into it.

A sacrifices to him could well be very personal killings instead of big public affairs but still ritualistic and the like...more serial killer/Manson family than Haruspex and sheep/human entrails on a Ziggurat imagery(as you have that covered)

As for sacrifices be certain type of people...I'd be careful here. Because if I'm a nothing special human farmer next county over I have little to fear from the wild hunts at the moment.
    One solution would for there to be degrees of quality to the sacrifice (both the person killed and method) that basically "covers" the blood debt for varying amount of time/people. So sure an architect/lawyer/merchant is ideal for Dispater and killing them in a basic sacrifice is very worthwhile but a regular joe who has simply touched money/iron once in his life can still be useful with a more elaborate rite. And a top notch architect/merchant/lawyer in a majorly elaborate ritual could well cover many elves blood debt for quite a while and those elves (A don't have to focus on collecting a sacrifice themselves and B owe the collector adebt/favor-which may be a big factor in Elvish politics/economy). That way you can get as creative/magical out there for your "high quality" sacrifice rites and still have also work with smaller groups of elves that perhaps don't have high level magic or a large base to work with.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2019-12-18 at 03:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Oh, the wild hunt is coming with the lower dukes. So far its mostly Asmodeus who is special. For Bel, I was thinking all war captives and for Mammon, slaves beng worked to death on public buildings.

8. - Top - End - #38

By this point, I'm not even sure anymore how much we have in common with the canon Dukes of Hell, but I like where we are going, so let's do this.

Baalzebul
    The Weaver Most Intricate, The Unbroken Prince, He Who Was and Will be Perfect

The Old Way: The Fae Queen's Justice is cruel and arbitrary. She leaves the punished either destroyed or seeking vengeance, with no path to redemption. And she will not allow criticism, seeing it as slight, destroying all those who do not offer false praise.
    The Fae artisan, too, lives in eternal fear, for if their work is insufficient, they will be punished, but if their work is perfect, they will be slain or maimed, to keep that perfection unique.

The Right Way:
    Though the summit be unreachable, thou shalt always climb the mountain. Always strive for perfection. There is no excuse for a sub-par effort. There is nothing worse than wasted talent.

Those who fall in the swamp must get to their feet, or drown in the mud. Do not wallow in your failures, learn from them and strive again to surpass your old heights. Every scar is a reminder of your imperfection.

The blade shall love the grindstone. Accept criticism and do not hate those who are trying to improve you. Better a harsh teacher to make you better than a soft one to weaken you.

Nothing is cheaper than an apology. Nothing is more costly than a debt. Always strive to repay any damages you cause. Crimes must be punished, but once the debt is paid, it must be forgiven. And never punish a crime in a way that doesn't leave the criminal a way to work and earn their forgiveness.

Always leave others room for improvement and always allow them to make up for their failures.

Truth is beauty. Be honest in your intentions, be honest in your art, and be honest in your praise. And be honest with yourself, see your failures for what they are.

Do not let fear of authority stand in the way of justice. No one has reached perfection, and even the mightiest have room for improvement. Always speak truth to power.

The Priesthood: Baalzebul has three separate priestly castes. His judges preside over cases and decide the weight of guilt, deciding how much restitution is owed and how it is to be paid, most commonly setting a weregild or a number of years of debt slavery to the injured party.
    His artists and artisans create great works, to honour great accomplishments and inspire those who seek a goal in life.
    His third caste, the confessors, are highly secretive. They move among the population masked and anonymous. It is their duty to find and expose hidden crimes and corruption, but also to listen to those who would confess their crimes and help them make restitution. They will also speak to slaves and branded criminals and listen to their grudges, deciding if their masters are unfairly keeping them enslaved when their debt is already paid.

The Sacrifice: Escaped criminals and others who have similarly tried to escape just punishment are sacrificed to Baalzebul, as are those who have accepted bribes, engaged in nepotism, or otherwise have perverted justice and the proper order of society. They are rarely killed, however, but instead have limbs or other body parts cut off or are branded with Baalzebul's symbol, so that everyone may see what they have done.

The Upheaval: Opposite to the Wild Hunt at the autumn equinox, at the spring equinox the priests of Baalzebul celebrate the Upheaval. For three nights, from sundown to sunrise, the population will don faceless masks and take to the streets.
    The first night is the Night of Gifts. Anonymous gifts are left on the doorsteps of those who have earned gratitude, especially in those cases where it can not be publicly shown. The high and powerful will give generously to their lowliest servants that they could not normally be seen to associate with. Secret admirers will leave flowers and art for the objects of their devotion. Just masters will be gifted by their pupils. Those who debase themselves with dirty tasks for the public good, like sanitation workers, undertakers, butchers or nurses will receive especially generously.
    The second night is the Night of the Balance. It is when the priests hold secret ballots about publicly branded criminals, so that the city may decide if they have paid their debts. Only when two thirds of those voting think the debt is paid are the brands removed. It is also the night when debt slaves are released from their obligations and raucously celebrate their freedom.
    The third night is the Night of Reckoning. It is when anyone may talk anonymously to a priest of Baalzebul, masked and veiled by magic, and reveal crimes they were forced to keep secret, exposing their social superiors. And it is also when those superiors are judged by their underlings. Silent, masked mobs will gather at offices, homes, or palaces, holding daggers. The lawful way to show displeasure would be to carve a sign on the bedroom door, the number of signs showing how corrupt the mob thinks an authority figure. Lynchings and assassinations are not exactly rare either, however, and are seen as a regretable side-effect.

Domains 3.5: Creation, Decay, Envy, Feast, Glory, Illusion, Law, Pestilence, Renewal, Retribution, Slime, Trickery (I may have gone slightly overboard there.)

9. - Top - End - #39

Moving on, if there's not a lot of comment, to Glasya. Themes for her that were mentioned were filial piety and fertility, so she's going to be our family goddess. We can give family-themed ceremonies, like baptisms and marriages to her priests, but other than that, I honestly can't think much for her theme.