New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Really simple webpage - problem with sidebar

Hi.

I have been assigned a task for my college - I study philology - to write a simple website. I thought it easy, because I am also a IT technician (but I am not so good with computers, that's why I have chosen language and literature instead of computing). We have to create a website about our habits related to Internet browsing.

I created a website in pure HTML and CSS, have chosen colors, names of divs etc. You know, regular stuff.

The problem is with my sidebar. I clearly stated in CSS that "height: 100%", however, it ends abruptly in the middle of the website and for no reason known to me.

The code is on Github: https://github.com/SzymonBrycki/EnglishWebpage

I asked on one Polish webforum, but got a really bief, yet complicated response. Something about... calc? I looked it on the WWW3 Schools websites, but could not understand what it was about.

Could someone please explain to me in simple words what I should do to make my sidebar whole-site long?
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Really simple webpage - problem with sidebar

It's been a while since I've done web design, but a quick Google search returned a few results that suggest using "min-height" instead of "height" in your CSS.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, it still "breaks" in a middle of the page.

Okay, whatever, i put it on the right side and now I am pretending it is what I have always meant :P Or maybe I should put it at the top? :P

And thanks for the help, it is actually an additional task, I do not have to do it, just wanted to :P LOL, I'm an over-achiever xD
    LGBTinP 🏳️*🌈, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter

Polter.pl RPG editor

My long signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I feel your pain. I went through exactly the same thing about 15 years ago.

The problem with "100%" is that it doesn't say, what it's relative to. That seems obvious, but that's an illusion: in fact there's a bewildering number of possible answers, and unless you go to a great deal of trouble to spell it out, many browsers will just throw up their hands and say "nope, can't be bothered".

I never figured out the answer. I do know, however, that it's nothing like as simple and elegant as you might intuitively think. It may well involve invoking things like "viewport" and "canvas", which no sensible person ever wants to think about. Failing that, you can do what basically everyone else does, and cheat - but that's not going to be elegant either.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain