New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: OOTS #1186 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    While phosgene, mustard gas and sarin gas are even worse than chlorine gas, I very much doubt that any of them exist in elemental form in the OOTSverse.
    What if Redcloak has found out how to make compoundentals?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I presume they are referring to the chlorine elemental:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0457.html
    While phosgene, mustard gas and sarin gas are even worse than chlorine gas, I very much doubt that any of them exist in elemental form in the OOTSverse.
    I had forgotten about the Chlorine Elemental, but still, shaping it into a monster that has to grab people to hurt them and can be killed is very tame compared to how chlorine was used in real life.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    His wisdom is so low that when he gets a minus from drinking he overflows into the high end of the scale. Like how in Civ 1 Ghandi's warlike score was so low that when you gave him an extra minus to warmongering he flipped to the other end of the scale and became a nuclear-toting psychopath.
    I remain unconvinced. He molested Vaarsuvius when he was drunk on new year. The consequences considered, that wasn't a wise course of action, unless you mean to imply that he is a masochist and wanted to be subjected to explosive runes on a daily basis.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sian;24256790Belkar should probably [get a drinking problem
    as well, as he's much more reliable and sensible when drunk
    I think V would beg to differ.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2019-11-13 at 08:28 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Belkar is drunk, not wasted. It's not a minor difference.
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I have never before in my life wanted to get drunk, and certainly not to such a precise degree as to match the level of drunkenness Roy is holding right now. I would need to be drunk enough to spontaneously say what Roy is saying, but not so drunk I could not remember the lines.
    In the unlikely event that you’re looking for advice on how to achieve that state without drinking... in my experience, simply staying up for a couple of days will roughly duplicate those effects. You’ll have to be in a socially stimulating, relatively relaxed setting, though.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe it's the familiarity with musical comedies that gives Belkar particular insights on the sounds produced by railway vehicles, but I'm not surprised that he knows the noise made by a train.

8. - Top - End - #98

In the unlikely event that you’re looking for advice on how to achieve that state without drinking... in my experience, simply staying up for a couple of days will roughly duplicate those effects. You’ll have to be in a socially stimulating, relatively relaxed setting, though.
    So basically you advising me to play through my entire boardgame collection. Of course finding people to participate could be difficult but in principle I like your thinking.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    I really think the point of that scene was to show the crew's relationship with Andi being normalized (because their Captain, very bluntly, pretty much said to do exactly that). I don't think the fuel lines bit was anything more than an excuse to get Andi into the scene and show the reader, "Bandana was serious when she told Andi she'd keep her aboard as long as she (Andi) stuck to her job."
    You may be completely true. I just tend to believe that when a secondary character mention something potentially dangerous, this is foreshadowing.

EDIT: Also, the fuel lines aren't leaking. The question was whether or not to reduce pressure in the fuel lines, not fix a leak.
    Overpressure lines are not that far away from becoming leaking lines.

Either I don’t understand what you are referring to or you don’t know much about chemical warfare.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I presume they are referring to the chlorine elemental:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0457.html
    I believe this is also about the Titanium Elementals.
    Because RC's got passing grades in Chem.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    He's multiclassing Paladin???
    Well, there was a Paladin of Slaughter in the 3.5 Unearthed Arcana, and it's in the SRD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I think V would beg to differ.
    The subject shall not be reminded of The Event.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-11-13 at 09:56 AM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

I had forgotten about the Chlorine Elemental, but still, shaping it into a monster that has to grab people to hurt them and can be killed is very tame compared to how chlorine was used in real life.
    Eh. The whole thing where the gruesome chemical agent is now alive and will seek out victims to kill could be seen as pretty horrifying. Obviously real life atrocities will always be more horrible than fictional ones, but in concept, an animated corrosive cloud is worse than an inanimate one.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Our party death toll was a negative number" amazing

12. - Top - End - #102

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    True. Kendro died fighting the Likable Death Worm, but his friends cheered since his method of death assured his ticket to Valhalla. Also, Durkon and Minra did need to get Resurrected/Raised.
    Don’t forget the table!
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-11-13 at 11:42 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
    True. Kendro died fighting the Likable Death Worm, but his friends cheered since his method of death assured his ticket to Valhalla. Also, Durkon and Minra did need to get Resurrected/Raised.
    Also, a lot of dwarves at the Temple of Thor.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

biggrin Re: OOTS #1186 - The Discussion Thread

"Choo choo! Let's get this airship on the road!"

favorite line in a while

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Overpressure lines are not that far away from becoming leaking lines.
    Still doesn't change the fact that they are not currently leaking, which is what the poster asserted. As long as the pressure is relieved, the lines are unlikely to spout a leak (at least in the real world in which the Rules of Drama aren't basically a literal force of nature).

Source: I come from a family full of mechanics.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Pity they wouldn't work IRL, since Magnetic North (a) moves and (b) is quite some way south of True North.
    But we have no evidence that their destination is True North rather than magnetic North, or that the two are different in this world, or even that the compass is magnetic, rather than a magic item made with the Know Direction spell.

We don't even know that "True North" even exists in this world. Perhaps the world is stationary and the sun revolves around it. Then True North, defined by spin, wouldn't even exist (although it could be defined by the rotation of the fixed stars around the earth -- if the stars are fixed in position relative to each other).

[And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Julio had a special compass made that always pointed to the next destination.]

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Ooh! Ooh! When we get to the North Pole, can I sit on Santa’s lap? Please?
    Elan, we're going to Magnetic Santa, not True Santa.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2019-11-13 at 12:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Redcloak does mention [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html"] Though if someone did introduce magic-powered industrialization, it would be Redcloak. He’s got the right combination of intelligence, scientific knowledge (he’s already introduced chemical warfare in pretty much its most Evil form), and practicality. It’s sheer good luck that he hasn’t hit upon the idea of summoning a uranium elemental yet.
    I've held a piece of uranium, rod-shaped, about half a kilogram (~ 1 lb.) IIRC. It wasn't even warm to the touch. I don't recall if it was natural uranium or depleted. (My boss at the time had had a lot of experience with radioactive materials, and was perhaps a bit too casual about the hazards.) At any rate, a uranium elemental would cause more harm through toxicity than from radioactivity unless it was enriched, or unless one spent a long time exposed to it. Would a uranium elemental be contaminated by the daughter products: radon, radium, etc.? (EDIT: Special breath weapon, radon cloud?)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryq View Post
    Easy to find within a few hundred kilometres, if Stickworld is like Earth. Close to the magnetic pole, the field points down rather than North, and it also (I learned today) wanders up to 80km from its mean position daily as a result of interactions with charged particles from the Sun.
    Huh. As in, the Earth's magnetic field is shifted around a bit by those interactions?

I'd expect it to also matter just how well-balanced and well-constructed the magnetic compass is. If it's perfectly balanced on a perfect point, it'll always point towards magnetic north. Otherwise, the directional force would be fighting the friction and whatever gravitational force results from the imperfections in the device. I've seen several so-called compasses that were all but useless; they didn't tend to point even north-ish most of the time.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2019-11-13 at 01:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    So basically you advising me to play through my entire boardgame collection. Of course finding people to participate could be difficult but in principle I like your thinking.
    1. I'm in, in the very unlikely scenario where you and I live near each other.

2. Super jealous that you have a copy of Primordial Soup. I lost access to my copy years ago and cannot find a replacement anywhere....

3. I feel like we are just a page or two away from the end of the book. seems legit this time.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Elan, we're going to Magnetic Santa, not True Santa.
    My hat to you, sir.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Still doesn't change the fact that they are not currently leaking, which is what the poster asserted. As long as the pressure is relieved, the lines are unlikely to spout a leak (at least in the real world in which the Rules of Drama aren't basically a literal force of nature).
    Indeed. As long as the pressure is relieved. And that the lines are in good conditions.
    But the lines may not be in good condition after the ordeal with the giants, the pressure may not be released easily, and the rules of drama are in effect.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, or that something will happen.
    I'm saying this may be a foreshadowing, and something may happen.

Source: I come from a family full of mechanics.
    And i am a fluid mechanics with 5 years of experience on gazeous and cryotechnical lines at the Space Center and 5 years as a high school and undergraduate school science teacher.
    So what? Should we compare our argument of authority?

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Wait, since when do trains exist?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbeer Guy View Post

Yes, I do think I'm funny!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Very possible those multiple reference to trains (that others have found along the comics) were a reference to Eberron, and some other fantasy setting with magical train.

Or maybe just one of those joke that reference things in Real Life that don't exist in Ootsverse but the character know about nonetheless. Like "orientation package", or webcomics.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Yes, I do think I'm funny!
    We're at 1186.
    I bazinga'd as well.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I've held a piece of uranium, rod-shaped, about half a kilogram (~ 1 lb.) IIRC. It wasn't even warm to the touch. I don't recall if it was natural uranium or depleted. (My boss at the time had had a lot of experience with radioactive materials, and was perhaps a bit too casual about the hazards.) At any rate, a uranium elemental would cause more harm through toxicity than from radioactivity unless it was enriched, or unless one spent a long time exposed to it. Would a uranium elemental be contaminated by the daughter products: radon, radium, etc.? (EDIT: Special breath weapon, radon cloud?)
    One pound of uranium isn't going to do much, no, but the thing about radioactive materials is that they possess a quality called "critical mass"- the smallest amount of material required to sustain a nuclear chain reaction.

Of course, once I started looking up some numbers, I learned that Uranium 238, the most common isotope at 99% of all naturally-occurring uranium, does not have a critical mass, and has a half life of nearly five billion years, or "roughly the age of the Earth."

Plutonium 239, however, which can be relatively easily made from Uranium 238, has a critical mass of 10 kilograms, which is a sphere almost ten centimeters in diameter. A Plutonium elemental, once killed, would almost immediately turn into a nuclear fireball that turns everything in a hundred mile radius into glass and ashes.

26. - Top - End - #116

HalflingRogueGuy

Still doesn't change the fact that they are not currently leaking, which is what the poster asserted
    Only after you asserted that the entire airship is a cigar.

But let’s not bicker and argue about who killed who. This is supposed to be a happy occasion!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Very possible those multiple reference to trains (that others have found along the comics) were a reference to Eberron, and some other fantasy setting with magical train.

Or maybe just one of those joke that reference things in Real Life that don't exist in Ootsverse but the character know about nonetheless. Like "orientation package", or webcomics.
    I'm leaning towards the latter as well. Just found it to be in the uncanny valley of 4th wall breaking where I wasn't completely certain if I missed out a setting defying one in the background. Like, a structured corporate environment with orientation packages within a fantasy setting is unlikely, but not impossible. Actually, what I'm going with now is that dwarven booze unlocks a dormant psychic ability in humans and halflings to perceive different dimensions not yet devoured by the Snarl.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Chekov's fuel lines.

Powers &8^]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm leaning towards the latter as well. Just found it to be in the uncanny valley of 4th wall breaking where I wasn't completely certain if I missed out a setting defying one in the background. Like, a structured corporate environment with orientation packages within a fantasy setting is unlikely, but not impossible. Actually, what I'm going with now is that dwarven booze unlocks a dormant psychic ability in humans and halflings to perceive different dimensions not yet devoured by the Snarl.
    Many posters think it is related to Eberron (and may be true) because of the Giant's personal history with Eberron.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Pity they wouldn't work IRL, since Magnetic North (a) moves and (b) is quite some way south of True North.
    Oh yes... As someone who's learning about land navigation, the difference between true North, magnetic North, and map North (that is a thing, believe it or not) are all factors in successfully navigating from point A to B. Failure to adequately account for that can lead a person astray... Or leave them stranded.

It does make me wonder if the compass has some kind of Know Direction effect... Or as speculated by other posters, if the magnetic and true North poles are the same.
    2B or not 2B, that is... a really inane question

In communication and in fiction, what is intended and what is understood, rarely align even in the best of times. It even rarer for it to be the best of times.