New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1186 - The Discussion Thread

It nice to see Roy so easy going and humorous while being on the tipsy side. And hopefully there only a few detours left at the very most before they reach the north pole. Because if there too many delays then the final gate could possibly already be discovered by Xykon.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    While phosgene, mustard gas and sarin gas are even worse than chlorine gas, I very much doubt that any of them exist in elemental form in the OOTSverse.
    In the real world what makes poison gas a consensus evil weapon isn't that it kills people, pretty much all military weapons kill people, it is that it permanently disables the survivors WITHOUT necessarily stopping them from fighting and the wind could blow it back over your own position (and even if it doesn't, for offensive use you have your own guys advancing into the cloud).

So you permanently cripple large numbers of soldiers from both sides, without necessarily taking them out of the current combat, and it's not even particularly good at winning the battle.

If gas were a war-winner or really useful, it would never have been banned or the ban would never have held. After WWI the consensus was, "It's horrible, and it doesn't even work."

Chlorine gas is in many respects one of the most evil forms of gas warfare, not because it's more effective, but because it's even less effective than the others.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time we've ever seen Roy drunk before.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

4. - Top - End - #124

Unless you count drunk on love while out on his date with Celia, yes it is.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Don’t forget the table!
    The table was already fashioned from the corpse of a tree, so it was already dead, technically

6. - Top - End - #126

Wait, tables are undead?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Wait, tables are undead?
    It's an object!
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    So what? Should we compare our argument of authority?
    I regularly "cite my sources" as a preemptive counter to anyone who would assert I have zero clue what I'm talking about--this is the internet, after all, and that has specifically happened to me on this forum.

In no way was I trying to imply that I have the highest level of experience possible or that others (such as yourself) might not* have more experience than I; just that I have some level of understanding on the topic that isn't "I read it somewhere on the internet. "

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Only after you asserted that the entire airship is a cigar.

But let’s not bicker and argue about who killed who. This is supposed to be a happy occasion!
    It was a callback to a quote from the Giant:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Why would I possibly WANT this sort of speculation?

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?
    Here's the relevant link to the quote, too:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127453-Random-Speculation-Time!-The-Girl-in-Panel-Seven-of-683&p=7066430#post7066430

EDIT 2: *omitted the word "not" which completely changed my meaning; including now
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2019-11-13 at 04:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    One pound of uranium isn't going to do much, no, but the thing about radioactive materials is that they possess a quality called "critical mass"- the smallest amount of material required to sustain a nuclear chain reaction.

Of course, once I started looking up some numbers, I learned that Uranium 238, the most common isotope at 99% of all naturally-occurring uranium, does not have a critical mass, and has a half life of nearly five billion years, or "roughly the age of the Earth."
    Sure, hence my specifying "natural or depleted". I wouldn't care to handle a half-kilogram of enriched uranium with my hands.

Plutonium 239, however, which can be relatively easily made from Uranium 238, has a critical mass of 10 kilograms, which is a sphere almost ten centimeters in diameter. A Plutonium elemental, once killed, would almost immediately turn into a nuclear fireball that turns everything in a hundred mile radius into glass and ashes.
    Now that's an interesting question: is it possible for a plutonium elemental to exist at all? Does it go critical only when it's killed? What about technetium and protactinium, and others that are found naturally only in trace amounts, or are only known synthetically? Some of the half-lives aren't super-short, though I don't think anyone has collected enough of any of these elements together to get a good idea of their critical masses.

Am I correct in assuming that element-based elementals aren't from standard gaming rule sets?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    It was a callback to a quote from the Giant:

Here's the relevant link to the quote, too:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...30#post7066430
    It's a callback to an alleged Sigmund Freud quote dating back to 1950, the Giant makes lots of pop-culture references.

11. - Top - End - #131

Correct. It's just Rich making fun of some of the game's assumptions.

Fun thought exercise: how big of a plutonium elemental would you need to summon before you have a bigger pile of Pu-239 than is in all the nuclear weapons on Earth?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

I regularly "cite my sources" as a preemptive counter to anyone who would assert I have zero clue what I'm talking about--this is the internet, after all, and that has specifically happened to me on this forum.

In no way was I trying to imply that I have the highest level of experience possible or that others (such as yourself) might have more experience than I; just that I have some level of understanding on the topic that isn't "I read it somewhere on the internet. "
    I see what you mean.
    I was not trying to bash you. Just to invalidate what i perceived as an argument to authority. I tend to be a bit sensitive on this kind of things.

When i was in the space center, with my bachelor, i saw more than once that i knew better than some engineer with a master and less than colleague with an associate degrees, or no degree.
    As a teacher, i've been proven wrong more than once by 16 y.o pupil on something i though i knew.
    And i can see every time i turn on the TV that i now know much more on political science and macro-economics that the average journalist or politician of my country, despite having never attended a single class on this subjects.

So I tend to judge the validity of an argument only on the argument itself.
    I do cite my source when i'm referring to something i read, or when something cannot be proven through argumentation.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

13. - Top - End - #133

I see what you mean.
    I was not trying to bash you. Just to invalidate what i perceived as an argument to authority. I tend to be a bit sensitive on this kind of things.
    I understand and think we're pretty much on the same page. I didn't think you were trying to bash me, and if my post sounded aggressive towards you I apologize without reservation.

As to the plutoniun/uranium discussion, I had no idea until today you could hold uranium and not have it do irreparable damage to...well, yourself. This is why I keep coming to the forums--I learn weird, random, wonderful things here all the time!
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2019-11-13 at 04:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

I understand and think we're pretty much on the same page. I didn't think you were trying to bash me, and if my post sounded aggressive towards you I apologize without reservation.
    It was not aggressive and there is no need to apologize. Maybe i misunderstood it because you made it quick or maybe i became too sensitive on this argument because i sadly see it far too often.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-11-13 at 04:24 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Plutonium 239, however, which can be relatively easily made from Uranium 238, has a critical mass of 10 kilograms, which is a sphere almost ten centimeters in diameter. A Plutonium elemental, once killed, would almost immediately turn into a nuclear fireball that turns everything in a hundred mile radius into glass and ashes.
    If it's a particularly pure plutonium-239 elemental, maybe. There are multiple isotypes of plutonium, though; and a small percentage of plutonium-240 is enough to prevent the rapid consumption needed for nuclear explosions (that's the difference between weapons-grade plutonium and reactor-grade plutonium).
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-11-13 at 04:34 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Darkone View Post
    I'm kind of impressed by Bandana's comment in the second panel. Just off the cuff saying that her crewmates should report to the person who knocked her unconscious and almost killed them all when necessary is both important as a clear statement of 'business as usual' and that Andi, despite treading on thin ice, should be relied on as mechanic.
    It was the right decision, clearly, but saying it so readily and unprompted is impressive.
    To me that came across as kind a grumpy response to the crew member. Imagine your own boss replying to you in that manner if you brought something to them which should perhaps have gone to someone else.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

HAHAHAHA!
    This was a good one!

So... drunk Roy is Elan, and drunk Belkar is Vaarsuvius.

We gotta get the others drunk and see who they become.
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

18. - Top - End - #138

Correct. It's just Rich making fun of some of the game's assumptions.

Fun thought exercise: how big of a plutonium elemental would you need to summon before you have a bigger pile of Pu-239 than is in all the nuclear weapons on Earth?
    Very, very briefly... I'm reminded of Asimov's The God's Themselves and the implications of finding a jar of plutonium-186.

When i was in the space center, with my bachelor, i saw more than once that i knew better than some engineer with a master and less than colleague with an associate degrees, or no degree.
    Oh my goodness, yes. I've met any number of idiots who believed that their degree-of-whatever-kind in [X] granted them authority in completely unrelated fields. And several people with advanced degrees who were idiots even in their own fields of supposed expertise. My first real sign of the potential hollowness of academic advancement was the summer before I started my bachelor's degree, when I saw a doctoral student using a calculator to multiply 2-digit integers by 10 in his lab book.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    To me that came across as kind a grumpy response to the crew member. Imagine your own boss replying to you in that manner if you brought something to them which should perhaps have gone to someone else.
    Mm, I suppose. It depends somewhat on how busy the boss is, and how obvious it should be to me that I ought to be asking some other specific person. If I could reasonably be expected not to know who to ask (and to not have the info myself), the boss shouldn't react in that kind of way.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2019-11-13 at 05:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well I'd certainly hope so! I'd have to lodge a complaint if it was anywhere north of True North.
    I was about to say this. Anywhere that isn't the North Pole is south of the North Pole. (If you stay on the planet.)
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Seconded. I wanted to say that but didn't quite know how to phrase it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #141

To be fair to Bandana, not that much time has passed since Andi hit her over the head with a wrench and started a mutiny that nearly got everyone killed. I'd still be a bit grumpy, too.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

I should've guessed that Belkar was better at being a functioning drunk than Roy.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Order did better than a draw in that whole battle with the forces of Hel.

24. - Top - End - #144

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Let's w-r-O-l! Forward! And someone get Roy some coffee.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So, the geographic North Pole is also the magnetic North Pole. I'd wondered.
    Meanwhile on Earth, the North Pole is as drunk as Roy, wandering all over carelessly at high speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_drift

26. - Top - End - #146

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: OOTS #1186 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I was about to say this. Anywhere that isn't the North Pole is south of the North Pole. (If you stay on the planet.)
    No anywhere is a different nation

Comic 226
    Last edited by denthor; 2019-11-14 at 12:32 AM.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

27. - Top - End - #147
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    No anywhere is a different nation

Comic 226
    I'm pretty sure all of the kingdom of Anywhere is to the south from the North Pole. Unless there's.an enclave.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Mm, I suppose. It depends somewhat on how busy the boss is, and how obvious it should be to me that I ought to be asking some other specific person. If I could reasonably be expected not to know who to ask (and to not have the info myself), the boss shouldn't react in that kind of way.
    She's not busy - she spends the rest of the strip in banter with the Order. It's possible that that crew member had asked the same thing several times before, but there's nothing in the strip to hint at that. All we have in the strip is a crew member politely asking the captain a question, then the captain angrily rebuking him, before going back to being friendly with the more important people.

To be fair to Bandana, not that much time has passed since Andi hit her over the head with a wrench and started a mutiny that nearly got everyone killed. I'd still be a bit grumpy, too.
    But the grumpiness isn't directed at Andi, it's directed at some random crew member.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd call it irritation rather than anger, for the flat eyebrow. Anger is V-shaped eyebrow.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Am I correct in assuming that element-based elementals aren't from standard gaming rule sets?
    Yes. That's why there was so much confusion when Redcloak fired Ti-elementals during the siege.

This is why I keep coming to the forums--I learn weird, random, wonderful things here all the time!
    Plus it's a fun way to wait for an update

My first real sign of the potential hollowness of academic advancement was the summer before I started my bachelor's degree, when I saw a doctoral student using a calculator to multiply 2-digit integers by 10 in his lab book.
    Better be safe than sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I'd call it irritation rather than anger, for the flat eyebrow. Anger is V-shaped eyebrow.
    Eyebrows shaped like an elf wizard? I got to see that!