New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default D&D Dragon Deities As Pokemon

Imagine D&D Dragon Deities (Bahamut, Tamara, Hlal, Tiamat, Faluzure, Garyx, Io, Astilabor, Chronepsis, Sardior, Lendys, and Aasterinian) was Pokemon. Io will be a mythical Dragon Pokemon and his 11 children Legendary Dragon Pokemon. I could probably see it as a powerful Pokemon movie. So what do you think about this idea?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: D&D Dragon Deities As Pokemon

Has anyone ever told you that you're obsessed with D&D dragon deities?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Has anyone ever told you that you're obsessed with D&D dragon deities?
    No. I love dragons. It's not an obsession.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

With regard to importing characters from one IP into another IP, you have to evaluate whether or not that provides anything additive compared to simply producing a version of the concept that is native to the IP in question. This is usually a question of pure fan service intended to drag fans of specific characters from one fandom to another.

In this case then, the argument is that importing the D&D dragon deities into Pokémon would be a superior option to simply introducing a bunch of dragon-shaped Pokémon. Considering that out of the D&D draconic pantheon only Bahamut and Tiamat have any cultural penetration at all, and considering that neither or them were actually created by D&D but are instead the names of Mesopotamian deities that Pokémon can freely utilize without referencing D&D at all the valued-added by this sort of crossover is probably actually negative, especially as it would preclude creating a Bahamut-mon that references, say, Final Fantasy, rather than D&D.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    No. I love dragons. It's not an obsession.
    I mean, to be fair, in the past two weeks, you've started at least four dragon-related threads, including this one, two of which specifically deal with "let's put D&D Dragon Deities in X setting." That's not a slight, but a pattern does begin to emerge.

What frustrates me is that you don't actually go anywhere with these ideas.

For example, in this thread, you could have said, "I have this idea for D&D Dragon Deities as Pokemon. Like, this one would basically be Palkia, but this one would be Dragon Fairy, and this one would be Dragon Fire, obviously. And there could be a story - like a movie - where this happens, then this, then this." You know, share ideas. Talk about what makes your concept cool. Start an actual conversation. Instead, you just sort of drop the idea and just see if anyone bites. "Hey, Dragon Deities as Pokemon, discuss." That's not really a conversation. It's not even really an idea. It's a half-idea, still looking for its final evolution form.

I feel that you could get some good conversation going if you took those extra steps to go somewhere with it, is my point. If, instead of just dropping a single-sentence thread topic, you went somewhere with it. Generally, you're more likely to see quality responses if people can see that you were willing to put the work in on the idea. Not to be crass, but if you can't express why you like the idea and want to discuss it, why should anyone else want to discuss it? So try fleshing things out a bit more, is my point.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I mean, to be fair, in the past two weeks, you've started at least four dragon-related threads, including this one, two of which specifically deal with "let's put D&D Dragon Deities in X setting." That's not a slight, but a pattern does begin to emerge.

What frustrates me is that you don't actually go anywhere with these ideas.

For example, in this thread, you could have said, "I have this idea for D&D Dragon Deities as Pokemon. Like, this one would basically be Palkia, but this one would be Dragon Fairy, and this one would be Dragon Fire, obviously. And there could be a story - like a movie - where this happens, then this, then this." You know, share ideas. Talk about what makes your concept cool. Start an actual conversation. Instead, you just sort of drop the idea and just see if anyone bites. "Hey, Dragon Deities as Pokemon, discuss." That's not really a conversation. It's not even really an idea. It's a half-idea, still looking for its final evolution form.

I feel that you could get some good conversation going if you took those extra steps to go somewhere with it, is my point. If, instead of just dropping a single-sentence thread topic, you went somewhere with it. Generally, you're more likely to see quality responses if people can see that you were willing to put the work in on the idea. Not to be crass, but if you can't express why you like the idea and want to discuss it, why should anyone else want to discuss it? So try fleshing things out a bit more, is my point.
    Then I'll apologise for that.