New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default can you just plane shift a tarrasque away?

seems like the easiest way to get rid of the damn thing. who cares if it can regenerate if you send it to the plane of mayonnaise
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: can you just plane shift a tarrasque away?

It may take a lot of casting, since it has 25 AC, +9 on charisma saves, advantage against spell saving throws, and legendary resistance 3/day.

Also it no longer auto-regenerates to be unkillable. So standard methods will simply put it down for good.

You need a tuning-fork-thing attuned to the relevant plane, which isn't a given. There may also be issues with how your campaign's cosmology works. It may well be the case that your only real options are to send it to places that you also don't want it to go, like an afterlife area.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I believe there's fluff indicating it's inextricably bound to the material plane.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I believe there's fluff indicating it's inextricably bound to the material plane.
    My personal headcanon is there is one big T or its equivalent per plane; if you were to somehow shift one elsewhere it would be like a swap.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It is indeed technically possible. Not easy, and probably not even the "easiest" solution, but possible.

Let's assume a 5e level 20 wizard. The tarrasque has an AC of 25, advantage on all saving throws against spells, and has 3 legendary resistances per day (legendary resistance allows it to choose to arbitrarily succeed on any failed save).

Plane Shift, when cast on an unwilling creature, requires a melee spell attack hit followed by a charisma saving throw.

The wizard has a proficiency bonus of 6 and intelligence modifier of 5, so our hero gets +11 to the d20 roll of the melee spell attack attempting to beat the tarrasque's AC of 25. That means there is a 35% chance that the spell attack lands. Then, the tarrasque has a +9 to charisma saves with advantage against our wizard's spell DC of 19 (8+6+5), so it needs to roll lower than 10 for the spell to succed. Since it has advantage, this yields a 20.2% chance the tarrasque fails. Combined, we arrive at a 7.07% the spell hits and succeeds, allowing our wizard to choose another plane for the tarrasque to terrorize.

Our wizard has, at most, 4 chances to cast this spell. The probability of our wizard failing an individual cast is 92.93%. Failing four times in a row comes in at about 74.58%. The complement of that yields the probability that we succeed at least once somewhere in those 4 casts, so 25.42%.

So assuming we have already burned through the tarrasque's legendary resistances and just cast Plane Shift every turn, we have about a 1 in 4 chance of sending our foe to the plane of mayonnaise.

This, of course, also assumes we can successfully weather the tarrasque's 5 melee attacks per round dealing about that will in total deal about 124 average damage per turn on all successful hits, it's Frightful Presence ability with a DC17 Wisdom save against fear, and its 3 legendary actions per turn that allow it to move and/or take extra attacks.

It's a pretty basic scenario modeled above with plenty of room for optimization and alternatives. (Also anyone feel free to double-check my math lol)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Eh... I prefer Maze myself.

Beat a DC 20 intelligence check there, buddy (with your penalty to Int). Meanwhile, I'm going to make myself a nice cup of tea and maintain concentration while we evacuate everyone and myself and few high level wizards will take shifts until we can break you with one onslaught of a coordinated attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post

Beat a DC 20 intelligence check there, buddy (with your penalty to Int). Meanwhile, I'm going to make myself a nice cup of tea and maintain concentration while we evacuate everyone and myself and few high level wizards will take shifts until we can break you with one onslaught of a coordinated attack.
    maaaze!
    solid. hadn't occurred to me
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Are we specifically talking of 5e? Because in 3.5 it's quite doable
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousFizban View Post
    seems like the easiest way to get rid of the damn thing. who cares if it can regenerate if you send it to the plane of mayonnaise
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post

It's a solid choice, but you have to give up the plane of mayonnaise in favour of the demiplane of corn instead

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

how to kill a tarrasque? with a large hammer, and a dm that hasn't got the survival instinct of a lemming.

what? a 4th wall kill still warrants xp.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    My personal headcanon is there is one big T or its equivalent per plane; if you were to somehow shift one elsewhere it would be like a swap.
    So we swap it out for Mayonnaise Tarrasque? That's so much worse.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Are we specifically talking of 5e? Because in 3.5 it's quite doable
    This; definitely need an edition here.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)