The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Spontaneous caster using higher-level slots?

In the Players handbook it says this about Spell slots:

A spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell. For example, a 7th-level wizard has at least one 4th-level spell slot and two 3rd-level spell slots (see Table 318: The Wizard, page 55). However, the character could choose to prepare three 3rd-level spells instead, filling the 4th-level slot with a 3rd- level spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but must fill them with spells of lower level.
    This section is mostly about Wizards and preparing spells. Can a spontaneous caster like a sorcerer, also cast a 3rd level spell out of a fourth level slot? (e.g. if I need that 3rd level spell, but have used up my 3rd levels slots for the day, can I cast it out of a 4th level slot)?

Or do you need the Heighten Spell feat to do that? Or Does Heighten Spell just ensure your can use the Higher DC of that higher spell slot?
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    Hello Gishes! Look at your sword. Now look at Thunderlance. Now back at your sword. Now back to Thunderlance. Sadly, your sword isn't a Thunderlance.
    Forest Gnome Druid avatar by Linklele. A detailed version is here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Spontaneous caster using higher-level slots?

Heighten spell only increases the effective level of the spell to match the level of the slot it is prepared in (or cast from), which is used for DC calculation and other mechanical interactions. You can always use your higher level slots to cast your lower level spells through, whether you are a spontaneous caster or prepared caster. Those spells still count as their original spell level.

Spellcasting for a spontaneous caster is very similar to that of a prepared caster, except where it is explicitly stated to be different. Spontaneous casters can fill their higher level slots with spells (or cast them) the same as a wizard does, they just don't need to prepare the spell before hand (which is the main difference between prepared and spontaneous casting).
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2019-11-14 at 01:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Yes Sorcerers and other Spontaneous Casters can do a lower level spell in a higher level slot. It is merely wasteful to cast grease in a 2nd level slot when you "want" to cast heighten grease, or incendiary slime and so on.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I can't quote you anything that says such but I've never heard of anyone doing it different. The example is a wizard but there's nothing suggesting it's limited to prepared casters.

Not that heighten is such a bad idea.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I tend to let spontaneous use the spell points system to give it that more spontaneous, freeform, feel. Then you don't have to worry about lower spells in higher slots.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yep. I call this Downcasting, but whatever.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook