New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Is this a viable combat Character?

I Have a character that is Level 4 who is a caster, but I want to see if he's a capable Melee fighter too. Our last BBEG was a Lamia when we were all level 3, so that should frame the level of difficulty our DM is throwing at us.

Level 4:
    HP: 53
    AC: 16
    Weapons 2x Short Swords: +6 to hit, Damage: 1d6+4, +6/1d6
    Cloak of Air, all attacks on me have disadvantage, if my attacker misses I can force them to repeat the attack on themselves as a reaction.

as a bonus action I can heal 20 hit points.

What do you think, can I hang out with the Paladin from time to time, or should I hang out in the back?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Is this a viable combat Character?

Quote Originally Posted by Drache64 View Post
    I Have a character that is Level 4 who is a caster, but I want to see if he's a capable Melee fighter too. Our last BBEG was a Lamia when we were all level 3, so that should frame the level of difficulty our DM is throwing at us.

Level 4:
    Cloak of Air, all attacks on me have disadvantage, if my attacker misses I can force them to repeat the attack on themselves as a reaction.

What do you think, can I hang out with the Paladin from time to time, or should I hang out in the back?
    Wow, that's a ton of HP for a level 4 character. I don't even know how you did that. Your damage is also excellent although your AC is mediocre. Overall I'd say sure, hang out on the front lines. Also maybe recheck your HP math.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-11-14 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Cloak of Air compensates for mediocre AC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

first of all - a lamia for 5 (the assumed Standard Party) Chars of 3rd lvl is just a medium dificulty… Looks fine to me^^

second - yeah you can easy be a frontliner. AC 16 with disadvantage for attacks on you is just as good as the ac 18/19 tanks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Level 4:

What class exactly is your caster? Warlocks, Clerics, and Druids tend to do better in melee than Wizards, Sorcerers, and Artificiers. What are your ability scores? Did you use point buy or roll? That magic item is OP if it is always in effect and not x1/turn--is it homebrew?

Dual-wielding is sub-optimal, even for a caster, because it'd be more optimal to don a shield (need proficiency from Cleric, Hexblade Warlock, etc.), wield a one-handed weapon, and take War Caster.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes you can. The big boss is a rather underwelming so the other combats should be even easier.

Your AC is decent and you have a completely broken item. Your HP are off the chart and the melee damage is good for now, it won't scale well with more levels but for now it's fine.

Could you post more details about your PC and if your DM uses huserules? This PC coud be a fighter looking at those stats.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Wow, that's a ton of HP for a level 4 character. I don't even know how you did that. Your damage is also excellent although your AC is mediocre. Overall I'd say sure, hang out on the front lines. Also maybe recheck your HP math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandir View Post
    Yes you can. The big boss is a rather underwelming so the other combats should be even easier.

Your AC is decent and you have a completely broken item. Your HP are off the chart and the melee damage is good for now, it won't scale well with more levels but for now it's fine.

Could you post more details about your PC and if your DM uses huserules? This PC could be a fighter looking at those stats.
    Sure, I just wanted to get people's take on the base stats without attracting bias on the class I picked.

I am a Mystic who is ONLY allowed to pick WuJen Disciplines until level 16.

My HP is 33 with +20hp from Mastery of Ice "Frozen Sanctuary" Ability (+20HP as a bonus action)

I use Cloak of Air from Mastery of Air: "for 10 min (cons) All attacks have disadvantage and when they miss I can cause them to attack themselves.

I have no wondrous items.

Next level I will take Mastery of Wood to gain +1 AC giving me a total of 17 AC.

My Stats are rolled and I took Variant Human with Linguist Feat: STR: 12, DEX: 18, CON 14, INT 20, Wis 14, Cha 15.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sure, I just wanted to get people's take on the base stats without attracting bias on the class I picked.

I am a Mystic who is ONLY allowed to pick WuJen Disciplines until level 16.

My HP is 33 with +20hp from Mastery of Ice "Frozen Sanctuary" Ability (+20HP as a bonus action)
    Do remember frozen Sanctuary gives temp hp not real extra max hp. But regardless yeah do whatever you want you have an insanely good magic item and are the most broken class to enter the minds of 5e so have fun dominating everything.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Teaguethebean View Post
    Do remember frozen Sanctuary gives temp hp not real extra max hp. But regardless yeah do whatever you want you have an insanely good magic item and are the most broken class to enter the minds of 5e so have fun dominating everything.
    Thanks :) And, just to clarify, Cloak of Air is an ability, not an item. My character has no magic items.
    Last edited by Drache64; 2019-11-14 at 02:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Is this a viable combat Character?

I would be a second rank fighter with a 10' foot weapon give the paladin a flank bonus
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

10. - Top - End - #10

Thanks :) And, just to clarify, Cloak of Air is an ability, not an item. My character has no magic items.
    I'm no Mystic expert but it looks to me like you've gone all-in on defense here, so instead of thinking of the character as a caster maybe it's more appropriate to think of them as a warrior, sort of equivalent to a Long Death monk: just like you, a Long Death monk is AC 16ish, bonus action to impose disadvantage on enemy attacks, relies on melee strikes, some temp HP. It's not like you're tossing around Fireballs or anything.

So, I don't view this thread as evidence that the Mystic is broken. A Forge Cleric 1/Enchanter 3 would actually be tougher. Edit:

Spoiler: Wu Jen/Forgechanter Comparison
    Show
    on reviewing the UA for Mystic, I take this back. The Wu Jen has easier access to bonus HP, and Cloak of Air has a better action economy than Blur or Invisibility... but the forgechanter has far better AC and access to Shield/Absorb Elements and at-will disabling (Hypnotic Gaze), so... it's kind of hard to say who's tougher. Wu Jen's ability to gain 20 temp HP as a bonus action probably makes them harder to kill overall, but forgechanter is offensively stronger because Hypnotic Gaze. (And bonus action Sanctuary + Hypnotic Gaze is not bad at all!)

Also, I didn't see anything in the UA that said you couldn't use a bonus action discipline and a regular discipline on the same round, so Wu Jen will have an easier time nova'ing.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2019-11-14 at 02:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It's not like you're tossing around Fireballs or anything.
    Actually as a WuJen I get access to the Actual Wizard Fireball at level 6, and can cast it 6 times a day if that's all I want to do.
    Last edited by Drache64; 2019-11-14 at 04:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Actually as a WuJen I get access to the Actual Wizard Fireball at level 6, and can cast it 6 times a day if that's all I want to do.
    But you already said you're taking Mastery of Ice/Air/Wood. You don't get a 4th discipline until 7th level, at least as far as I can see in the UA (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d.../UAMystic3.pdf). I'm no Mystic expert but it doesn't look to me like you're headed in this direction.

(Also, "tossing Fireballs" was my shorthand for "doing caster-like stuff", whereas you're basically trying to replicate a warrior. Fireball itself actually isn't the best spell in most situations.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

But you already said you're taking Mastery of Ice/Air/Wood. You don't get a 4th discipline until 7th level, at least as far as I can see in the UA (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/d.../UAMystic3.pdf). I'm no Mystic expert but it doesn't look to me like you're headed in this direction.

(Also, "tossing Fireballs" was my shorthand for "doing caster-like stuff", whereas you're basically trying to replicate a warrior. Fireball itself actually isn't the best spell in most situations.)
    Arcane Dabbler feature at 6th level gives me 3 wizard spells of my choice, but honestly I am doing castery stuff typically, I have the shorts swords as a backup. My typical play has been to summon shadows for field control, while using Energy Beam and other Elemental spells.

But I was thinking of shaking stuff up tonight and jumping up and going melee just to give me some variety.

And no bigge, but just to clarify you start with 2 disciplines from a feature called "Bonus Disciplines" in addition to the Disciplines known, so at level 4 I have Mastery of Light & Shadow, Fire, Ice, and Wind. At level 5 I am taking Wood just add more combat abilities.

14. - Top - End - #14

Arcane Dabbler feature at 6th level gives me 3 wizard spells of my choice
    Oh, I see. I'm beginning to understand why people said that Mystic was overtuned.

And no bigge, but just to clarify you start with 2 disciplines from a feature called "Bonus Disciplines" in addition to the Disciplines known, so at level 4 I have Mastery of Light & Shadow, Fire, Ice, and Wind. At level 5 I am taking Wood just add more combat abilities.
    Ah. Thanks for the correction. Again, I am no Mystic expert.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Oh, I see. I'm beginning to understand why people said that Mystic was overtuned.

Ah. Thanks for the correction. Again, I am no Mystic expert.
    Yes they can be, I have an understanding with my DM on ways to make them less powerful, My character suffers a connections with the elements and if he uses too many at once it causes him mental trauma, I highly recommend if anyone wishes to play a mystic they work closely and have open conversations with their DM, and really only recommend them to experienced players.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    I would be a second rank fighter with a 10' foot weapon give the paladin a flank bonus
    The what bonus? Flanking is optional rule most people don't use, for good reason.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lol mystic is so broken. I'm glad you're talking with your DM about how to limit them.

Anyways yeah, you can Frontline no problem with those stats. You're pretty insanely durable honestly. You're tankier than most level 4 fighters.

My only advice is be VERY careful about overshadowing other players. You're playing a broken class and you don't want to make other players feel outclassed. Depending on party composition, you may nor want to get up close and personal. Do you have any players with a focus on being a durable frontliner? If so, I would say try not to outclass them.