The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1] Gateway to a Lovecraftian Campaing: Carrion Hill! (Players Needed!)

Well, I've got the crunch done for my Kineticist here. Name is pending a deeper delve into Dark Folk naming conventions. I'll work on a backstory as soon as I'm able.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1] Gateway to a Lovecraftian Campaing: Carrion Hill! (Players Needed!)

Hmmm... what do you think of a Lawful Evil Inquisitor type looking to stamp out this eldritch nonsense in the name of truth, justice, and heavy-handed authoritarian brutality?
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Irlana ę Frost Coil Ľ is coming along nicely. Still missing the sheet of her mauler compsognatus familiar that will serve as her mount
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2019-11-20 at 02:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I'm happy to see a few more characters than what we had yesterday, they all seems to be coming along okay but I'm just scrolling x.x

I'll give them a proper review when less busy, hopefully tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aleister VII View Post
    I'm happy to see a few more characters than what we had yesterday, they all seems to be coming along okay but I'm just scrolling x.x

I'll give them a proper review when less busy, hopefully tomorrow.
    I'll have mine done by this time tomorrow. All the crunch is done, just gotta write up some more personality type stuff about him, clean up the backstory format a bit, and find some pictures!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

After thinking about it for a while I just couldn't think of a concept I liked so I had to fall back on an old one from the last time someone tried getting a Carrion Hill game together. Here's the character sheet for Shanna Dravenmore, the eldest daughter of ethnically Hallit migrants, educated in the finest academies of Karcau and Absalom and now quite pleased to return to her "homeland" even if it is on business and not pleasure.

My apologies to Kvard for submitting a worldseeker wizard after he already announced with a worldseeker wizard, but the original draft of this character was a multiclass monk which would conflict with Gideon's character in any case... considering that Ivar's sheet is already finished, I felt like this was the less bad option.

Spoiler: Character Image
    Show

Spoiler: Familiar Image
    Show

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    It's late, my mind is melting, and I can't form coherent sentences, so this is the bullet point "0th draft" of her backstory:
    • born across the Numerian border in the town of Dravod Knock
    • family (mother, father, older brother) was on the wrong side of a religious dispute and had to flee across the lake into Ustalav
    • brother started running with a nasty and criminal sort of crowd, parents were worried shanna would turn out the same way so they sent her to a religious order, the clerics there noted that her ability spread is clearly better suited for arcane rather than divine magic and referred her to an apprenticeship with the wizards of nethys
    • learned about the Arcanamirium, took the long journey there and passed the admissions test, studied further and also joined the pathfinder society while she was there because the idea of adventuring to protect people and knowledge seemed more appealing than working on magic item research forever, had two mini-adventures with them wherein she leveled from 3 -> 4 and 4 -> 5
    • now she's on her third mission for the pathfinder society, under the comforting but gloomy skies of Ustalav, hoping the future has more success in store... we'll see how well that goes

Tomorrow when I have my wits about me, I'll probably try to slap this together into a proper prose description, but I felt like just putting what I have out there ASAP is a higher priority right now.
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2019-11-21 at 07:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Got my character finally finished! Here is Hellblazer Stagos, previously of House Corvere, but now simply Stagos. He's a Herald Caller Cleric, but he's not devoted to any particular deity, but rather a belief. It's more for story purpose than anything else, since he only has one domain anyway, but if I have to give him a deity, it'd be simple enough to have him worship Abadar, just let me know.

EDIT: As an aside, Stagosís role in a party is best as a battlefield controller. He utilizes a combination of summoned monsters and his AoE daze Channel Energy to buy the team some extra time. He can also throw the occasional buff spells here and there.

Show

Show

There was a heavy downpour on the night Stagos Corvere died. It was a night perfect for being abed by the fire with hot cider and good book, or just abed with another warm body, which is what Stagos was doing, but weíre getting ahead of ourselves.

Letís start at the beginning. Stagos was the firstborn son of House Corvere, a respectable family purportedly with an unbroken bloodline chain linking back to Soividia Ustav himself. With servants and friends catering to his every whim, Stagos grew up with a high sense of entitlement. He never worked hard, treated everyone poorly, was surrounded by sycophants, and spent his days living the decadent life of the rich and powerful. He always made time to attend Iomedae's church though, and he wore a massive ostentatious chain with her symbol of sword and sun to show just how devout he was. He would be by her seat when he died, not like these poor saps and unbelievers. One of Stagosís favorite pastime, however was to dress himself in plebeian garb, go into town, and charm said poor saps with his wit. And if that fails, with an unending supply of coins.

There was a harsh gale blowing that fateful day. Dark clouds rumbled on the horizon. Stagos saw her when he walked into the tavern, and the moment he laid eyes upon her, Stagos knew he had to have her. Her name is inconsequential, and he was so distracted by her that he never noticed the hooded figure eyeing the same woman. Alas, the drinks flowed, the rain poured, the fireplace kindled, and in no time Stagos and his prey were making a ruckus abed on the top floor. Stagos was enjoying himself too much to realize that her hands around his neck was no foreplay, and by the time the blood flowed to his brain to blare the warning, it was far too late.

Stagos never saw what happened after. He was dead. Vision tends to go out by that point. So he never saw a cloaked figure barge into the room. He never saw the ensuing battle that erupted. No, he had his own problems. Who knew that death was no escape from problems? He stood at the back of an endless procession, with a heavenly brightness at the far distance. The line was long, and bored him, but after numerous complaints whom no one around him cared to listen to, he was finally at the Gates. Iomedae would be just ahead, he was certain. He was so close. And he was subsequently denied entrance for a lifetime of false piety and countless other offenses. There was also that little sin of consorting with a succubus at his end. Ignorance was no excuse, and straight to the abyss he went.

To describe the abyss as terrifying would be to put it mildly. Suffice it to say that the few minutes Stagos spent there was enough to scar him both physically and mentally for life. And he does live again, obviously, or this would be a rather strange tale. That hooded figure, as it happens, was Lavinia Demonsbane, famed member of the Pathfinder Society and a cleric of Abadar that had been tracking the succubus. She intervened too late, but not late enough that a whisper from her lips to Abadarís ears couldnít pull Stagos out of the abyss.

Word of the incident spread, and Stagos became a social pariah. No one wanted to do anything with one so tainted. His parents wanted nothing to do with him, and disowned him outright. It was only his sister Primrose that was sad to see him go. Too young to know better, and too kind even if she did. With nothing and nowhere to go, Lavinia's guilt for interfering too late drove her to take pity on him, and she offered him succor under Abadarís roof. It was there that Stagosís rebirth would be complete.

Bitter and fearful of a future of endless torment in the abyss, Stagos sought to make amends. But not to Iomedae, never to that righteous wretch. He followed Laviniaís teachings and found solace in Abadarís wisdom, but even that couldn't dispel the hatred he held for the gods. Good and evil lost meaning for him. Why would someone be sent to eternal torment without even a chance at redemption? He hated the gods and their meddling in mortal affairs. He never took Lavinia's kindness for granted though. She was his one sample to a moral compass, a good person, even if she was misguided with her devotion to a god. Stagos spent his days training with Lavinia, making time to listen to her when she preaches to him, and scouring the libraries for books when he had free time. Eventually he joined the Pathfinder Society and began accompanying Lavinia on her missions, but despite the number of demons he destroyed, the number of lives he saved, that fear of an unbalanced scale weighted to tip him down to the abyss never left his mind.

Of his old life, Stagos kept in touch only with Primrose during the years that passed. He regretted not having spent much time with her when he had the chance, but he made every effort to see her whenever possible. She was his one source of happiness. So when word reached him that his sister traveled to Carrion Hill and disappeared, there was but one path for him to take.
    Last edited by grifter730; 2019-11-22 at 03:10 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I'd like to present Tiber DiMore, Pharasman Inquisitor. He's coming to town after realizing that whatever this menace is, it isn't a part of the natural order or the plans of the Lady of Graves. A bit scary, and the deliberately creepy armor definitely doesn't help, but underneath he's an honorable and honest, if not especially kind, man.

Show

Show
    Tiber was born to well-off mercantile parents in the land of Druma. Raised in the capital city of Kerse by two devout followers of the Prophecies of Kalistrade, it was little surprise that the child soon came to embrace their materialistic philosophy. Before his twentieh year, Tiber was already wearing the white robes of the Kalistocrats, focusing his education on what seemed to have the most potential for material profit, and paradoxically living an almost monastic existence of shunning material comforts. He even went so far as to shun most contact with the opposite sex in accordance with that philosophy, the desires of his age notwithstanding. By twenty he was playing a prominent part in his parents' business affairs, wheeling and dealing with people from all across the Inner Sea. A future in the Resplendent Bureaucracy seemed assured. And then fate intervened.

Without warning, a localized epidemic swept through the DiMore family's little quarter of Kerse. It tore through the household in a matter of days, slaying slaves, indentured servants, hired hands, and finally the up-and-coming merchants themselves. Tiber, who had been away from the capital for a few days on business, returned to his home to find that he had become an orphan overnight. To say he was devastated would be putting it mildly. For all of his family's philosophy of detachment, they had loved each other in their own way. The young man spent the next few days in a shocked daze, barely paying attention to anything he was doing. It was at the funeral at the small Pharasman temple that an epiphany finally struck him.

What had his parents' wealth mattered, in the end? They had followed the Prophecies for many years, gained formidable riches, and then died more or less at random. What did wealth matter? It was temporary, a mere diversion on the road to eternity. In accordance with everything he had been taught, Tiber asked himself: what then did have value? It was a question he pondered for weeks afterwards, though in retrospect the answer was obvious. Only that which is eternal can have value. But what is eternal, if even a god like Aroden can die? Death itself was the answer. Only death and she who embodies death are truly everlasting, and so only in them can men find a cause truly worthy of their service.

Tiber soon left his homeland behind, its irreligious dictates holding him back from the message of the Lady of Graves. He traveled instead to Osirion to learn more of his new faith from the Voices of the Spire in Wati. He learned much in his years there, learned theology and combat alike battling the ever-present undead lurking in that city's crypts. It was valuable experience, but ultimately the young man came to the conclusion that the Voices were simply too single-minded. The undead in Wati, however blasphemous their existence, were only one of the many threats to the Lady's natural order cropping up across Golarion. He felt called go beyond the city in hunting down that which defied the great cycle, and fortunately for him there were those who could help. By offering his services to the Pathfinder Society, by taking on dangerous assignments, he could track down and eradicate burgeoning unnatural abominations before they had the chance to spread. This quest of his, to serve the Lady of Graves by destroying her enemies, has most recently brought him to Carrion Hill. Whatever the beast is that haunts these street, he will send it screaming into the Boneyard.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

9. - Top - End - #39

Chimera

Hey guys, I see some newcomers, great!
    I haven't properly reviewed sheets, but they look good at a first glance, I think that is still too soon to start choosing players so we'll keep accepting applications for now.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've finished my character sheet up for Velka the Aberrant Bloodrager.

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Velka grew up in a traditional Hobgoblin military family. She learnt to fight from a young age and joined a mercenary force when she reached adulthood. After a few years in the mercenary group Velka began to realise that there was something different about her. She occasionally had disturbing and alien thoughts and intangible whispers haunted her dreams. She decided that living in such close camaraderie with her mercenary friends was too risky and quit the company. She travelled alone for a time before joining the Pathfinder Society, hoping that she might find someone in the society who could answer her questions.

Velka has yet to find any answers though and her body itself has started twisting and shifting unnaturally. Terrified the first time she experienced this that people would turn on her as a monster she decided to travel to the wilderness away from civilisation. When she heard about the mission to Carrion Hill she decided it was the perfect opportunity to disappear into the sticks and signed up immediately. She's hoping to stay out of trouble long enough to figure out how to stop the disturbing changes she is experiencing.

11. - Top - End - #41

Chimera

Hobgoblin, huh? Interesting.

Looks like I'll be closing applications this Friday.

Keeping track of all the gear you bought is a little difficult x.x so I'll re-read all sheets just in case!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hobgoblin, huh? Interesting.
    Yeah I wanted to play a character with a martial background and was debating between human, half-orc and hobgoblin. Eventually decided on hobgoblin as I've not played one before and it's suitably monstrous that few would want to help when she starts developing strange and dangerous powers. My rough idea for her is that she is a pretty standard soldier, good at fighting and taking orders but that is inherently conflicted with the Aberrant blood flowing in her brains which drives her into occasional fearsome rages and twists her body and her mind in strange and alien ways.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Okay. So I'm looking at all these character sheets and am feeling like my character will be a little useless. We are needing a sortof skill-monkey-ish rogue type, especially for dungeoneering. So am putting up a new character for application. I'm working on the sheet but will post the details with images and background like the others did later this week (before friday for sure)
    He will be a catfolk witch (invoker)/rogue; I've never played such a strange race or even had a player be a catfolk so I think it would be interesting to bring this to the table. He will be a devout of Desna, his patron is portents (since dreams and visions are important for Desna; he thinks his patron is linked to her, but who knows?). He's a natural fit for being a Pathfinder. I'll come up with more details in the next few days.
    He will be definitely roguey, but also strong in support magic (in a few levels; multiclassing slowed my spell progression a bit, but I'll get there :P) He's attracted to Carrion Hill more out of curiosity than anything else, but he feels some of his dream-visions may have been pointing him towards there recently so there may be more to look into.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2019-11-25 at 05:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like I'll be closing applications this Friday.

Keeping track of all the gear you bought is a little difficult x.x so I'll re-read all sheets just in case!
    I put in all the price in the "weight" column for items, cause it automatically calculates the total at the bottom. That should make it easier on you.

15. - Top - End - #45

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grifter730 View Post
    I put in all the price in the "weight" column for items, cause it automatically calculates the total at the bottom. That should make it easier on you.
    That's why I'm a big fan of the 'experimental' Pathfinder sheet on myth-weavers. It has both columns, makes more important stuff bigger, and has lots of little edits from the original.
    Spoiler: Currently Made Characters
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Alright. Finally finished Zithembe. His familiar's sheet is missing, but it's a swallowtail butterfly with the emissary familiar archetype. So it can cast guidance and use the luck domain's first level power once a day.

Spoiler: Zithembe
    Show
    https://bugmeyer.tumblr.com/post/757...ts-from-theros (couldn't insert a picture so I just linked to the image.. sorry 'bout that; it's the first image)

Show
    Zithembe was used to being alone for a good part of his life: he was always seen as an outcast, even when he was still living with his tribe, as he preferred quiet contemplation, restful sleep, and dreaming. This longing for the dreams of sleep was actually a lust for travel; in his pilgrimage through sleep he felt free. Zithembe was a lucid dreamer and he felt like he could do anything in his dreams.
    One day, he said to his tribesmen that he could hear a voice in his dream, an echo, trying to reach out to him, always only somewhat out of reach. The others did not take this well. He spent more and more of his days in quiet meditation, trying to connect with the mysterious voice of his dreams. The other catfolk shirked at his lack of discipline and rejection of responsibility; community is most important for Catfolk and Zithembe was called a sloth.
    So as soon as he was old enough to strike out on his own, tired of being misunderstood, he took to the roads. Life was not easy alone in the wilderness, but he felt free. He could finally live for himself. He traveled far and wide, and saw many wonders of Avistan during his travels. He learned to fend for himself, too, since the world is a dangerous place. He discovered that many feared his appearance and, so, he remained a loner.
    Eventually, Zithembe understood that the voice from his dreams was not exactly a voice, more like a song. He kept on dreaming, surviving how ever he could, getting closer and closer to the source of this song.
    Until one day, he stumbled across an old deserted shrine to a goddess he had never heard of - Desna. Oh, a few humans may have spoken her name on the road here and again, apparently to attract good luck, but Zithembe had never looked into it more than that - the catfolk are not known for their love of religion. Strangely enough, the shrine seemed like a place made to accommodate weary travelers as well as pay devotion to the goddess - something that Zithembe would later learn is quite common in shrines of Desna, the goddess of Travels and Dreams.
    He felt compelled to fall asleep in this abandoned shrine, and so he did. For the first time he heard it clearly: the song of the Spheres. It was the voice of Desna, calling out to him. She had been trying to speak to him for so long, and it was finally happening... When Zithembe woke up, he felt the details of this beautiful dream slowly slipping away, as dreams often do, yet he felt vested with a new sense of purpose. As he rose to his feet, a black swallowtail butterfly was resting on his traveling bag. He tried to frighten it away, but it stayed.
    From that day on, the bug followed him on his travels. Zithembe would soon learn that he could commune with this butterfly, that it was a conduit between him and the Song of the Spheres. The insect could even follow him in his dreams now, and together they learned how to tap the ever changing nature of dreams and harness it in the material plane. Some scholars call this magic. For Zithembe, it was simply Dreaming.
    Seeking answers, the catfolk visited many shrines to Desna, studying the dogma with priests along the way. He learned that this was a religion of openness and freedom and it was very well suited to him. After helping protect a shrine/Inn to Desna from a band of brigands, a priest whom Zithembe had become friends with proposed that he joined the Pathfinders, an organization of travelers, adventurers and lovers of lost relics and lore. Zithembe hesitated, as he was so used to life on his own. But perhaps a newfound sense of community could do him good. So he started off to Absalom where he could partake in the trials to become a Pathfinder...
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2019-11-28 at 03:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

BardGuy

@Aleister VII
    I hope all is well with you and your game and that everyone had a good holiday :)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

If this is still accepting interest, I'd love to bring in a tiefling druid of decay.

EDIT: Went ahead and wrote Anophe and her best friend Snuggles. Let me know if there's anything missing.
    Last edited by ylvathrall; 2019-11-30 at 03:37 PM.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #49

BardGuy

AleisterVII hasn't been online since the 25th....I think it's safe to say this campaign is dead :(
    Show