New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: I am bad at Rimworld

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    You know. I'm actually reminded now that Rimworld is similar enough to Dorf Fort that we probably can get a succession game going in some manner.

I'll need to investigate the actual mechanism on getting this done however. Are we allowed to play saves imported from other games?

EDIT: It looks like we can. Saves are in AppData folder.
    Hahah ... I would love to hand one of my terrible, failed, burning colonies over to someone else. I'd even cheer for them to succeed where I'd failed =)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Hahah ... I would love to hand one of my terrible, failed, burning colonies over to someone else. I'd even cheer for them to succeed where I'd failed =)
    That's naturally part of the fun. Dealing with messes that other players hand you with.

(To a point, of course. Handing someone an unwinnable state is a no-no, and no deliberately sabotaging the fort, etc).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I would 100% be down for this. The saves would probably need to be vanilla compatible, but other than that there shouldn't be an issue.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

So it's one year pr. player, right? I feel it would be most fun if I went first, because I really am bad, and this way everyone gets to suffer =D

But that's just me. How long is a year? Do we determine beforehand what settings we want - or vote? Should we name our colonists after us Of course we should.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Oooh, that actually sounds super fun. Consider me interested--also not exactly an optimal player.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

So it's one year pr. player, right? I feel it would be most fun if I went first, because I really am bad, and this way everyone gets to suffer =D

But that's just me. How long is a year? Do we determine beforehand what settings we want - or vote? Should we name our colonists after us Of course we should.
    From the reddit post I found, they used 30 ingame days between each overseer. (2 quadrums) Which seems like a good compromise since a year can be a little long.

And yes, we definitely should be renaming colonists after ourselves, though again, the suggestion seem to be that we only do so during each overseer reign. (I think the idea is that we choose one as an avatar, and then go from there.)

Any other ideas welcome, of course. Mods, I think can be used so long we are aligned on what to use.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

So my colony is doing deceptively well (and this is why I haven't proposed a start to the succession game thing yet).

We're now 8 people (although my original plan was to try and stay small, and stick with like 5 people), we have flak armor, rifles for everyone, TV (though I don't know who's broadcasting), easychairs. Four windmills and two battery banks provide stable power for everything. I have stone buildings along with hollowed out mountains. It feels like nothing bad can ever happen again. So it will, and very soon.

I'm imagining that my map - huge as it is - will eventually be covered by nothing but graves. I have more graves than settlers. Also, storage takes up as much space as the entire rest of the colony combined. Rooms that were designed for other things are now warehouses. I have dusters for summer and parkas for winter, I have spare weapons, tons and tons of rice and cloth, I have huge amounts of stone blocks. Jeez, all this stuff.

I feel I should build turrets, but I cannot really figure out where to place them. And I'm pretty sure if I lay down any more wires, everything is eventually going to explode.

Hey, I have sandbags. Do I eventually get barbed wire?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Cue insect hive in the middle of your under-mountain base

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Cue insect hive in the middle of your under-mountain base
    That's something that happens, is it? Dammit, I knew things were too calm. But at least now I know where to put the gun turrets.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

I am paralyzed by indecision.

A fugitive has arrived, and begs for mercy at our hands. But he's 77, propably close to heart failure from natural causes, and most likely useless - it seems most people just are. What's worse, I've decided 8 colonists are enough - and we're 8 already.

But on the other hand, he's on the run from ... I dunno, the Kings of Bloodshed or some such nonsense, a faction I actively want to destroy (cause they're douches). Taking him will no doubt annoy them, and that's almost reason enough to do it.

Ohh .. what to do ..?! =)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am paralyzed by indecision.

A fugitive has arrived, and begs for mercy at our hands. But he's 77, propably close to heart failure from natural causes, and most likely useless - it seems most people just are. What's worse, I've decided 8 colonists are enough - and we're 8 already.

But on the other hand, he's on the run from ... I dunno, the Kings of Bloodshed or some such nonsense, a faction I actively want to destroy (cause they're douches). Taking him will no doubt annoy them, and that's almost reason enough to do it.

Ohh .. what to do ..?! =)
    Well, you can always recruit and work your way to orbital drop pods and drop him into the home base of his hunters armed with grenades or some devastating heavy weapon.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by houlio View Post
    Well, you can always recruit and work your way to orbital drop pods and drop him into the home base of his hunters armed with grenades or some devastating heavy weapon.
    That is so unfair - I love it. I'm actually close to drop pods, but I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to use them like that =)

Oh, btw, can my minions really only carry one weapon?
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-11-27 at 01:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    That's naturally part of the fun. Dealing with messes that other players hand you with.

(To a point, of course. Handing someone an unwinnable state is a no-no, and no deliberately sabotaging the fort, etc).
    I haven't even played this game and now I gotta ask: Is there a Rimworld equivalent of Boatmurdered somewhere out there that I could read?
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a redditor daleksdeservevictory that makes a really good Rimworld comic. I believe there's an archive somewhere, but I'm away from my computer at the moment to check.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I haven't even played this game and now I gotta ask: Is there a Rimworld equivalent of Boatmurdered somewhere out there that I could read?
    I don't think anything is really equivalent to Boatmurdered - it's quite literally one of the most hilarious things I ever read. I believe Starkravingmad could have made a very succesful living writing professionally =)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

Hrm ...

It is time. The 'Kings of Bloodshed' have been an annoyance since forever, and now I'm going to wipe them out. Or, you know, the village of theirs that's right next door.

I have body armor, I have assault rifles, I have highly skilled guys and girls, and the K's of B are going down.

I give my self 10 to 1 odds. I'm going to get utterly creamed, aren't I? But this is how we learn, and thankfully I have none of that painful pride that would force me to not make a save game before sending the troops.

Oh, dear god .. I just sent off everyone who can actually fight, and now the Three Little Pigs joined my colony. The Big Bad Wolf is ...certain to be just around the corner. I'm doomed.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Confirmation just in: Yes, I get slaughtered. We're 6 v 13, and while I certainly kill more than my share, I cannot win.

Lessons learned:
    You can run around the map until the mortar runs out of ammo. Once out of ammo, the mortar guy will forget all about you.
    Enemies will sometimes do surprising things. One guy charged right into my group, then dropped a grenade at his feet. Ow.
    You can camp and have a bit of a rest on enemy maps. Potentially, you can build defensive structures, it all depends how long they take to notice you.

I'd like to have some way of slowing enemies. Razorwire, preferably, but some sort of ... thing would be nice. Like, firing foam shells. Relying on terrain feels too random.

Note to self:
    Try bringing along IED's. Or the parts to build them, at any rate.
    Experiment with incendiary launchers. Can I trick the enemy into running around putting out fires in their base while I pick them off from a distance like rats in a barrel?
    What happens if I combine firefoam poppers with flame bombs? Can fireform act as crowd control?
    Are these otherwise ingenious plans too fiddly to work in actual practice?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I feel that might be where some problems come in, as I understand that that's the hardest starting scenario. (You don't have enough labour to get things progressing fast, no starting guns, food, no equipment, medicine...) So, if you're continually doing Naked Brutality... yeah, that might be an issue.

But, in general, don't feel bad about continually wiping. From the stories I've heard, that happens to everyone their first several dozen colonies.
    My first colony did great. That may be because I lucked out and got someone with high medic skill and picked a good starting point (a valley with the sea on the right and one entrance to the south).
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    My first colony did great. That may be because I lucked out and got someone with high medic skill and picked a good starting point (a valley with the sea on the right and one entrance to the south).
    Oh .... the title is in no way ironic. You can do better than me and still be entirely average =D

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Oh .... the title is in no way ironic. You can do better than me and still be entirely average =D
    Establish choke points and make use of turrets. Pay attention to where enemies tend to flee to and set your traps along those routes. Sandbags are your friends.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Establish choke points and make use of turrets. Pay attention to where enemies tend to flee to and set your traps along those routes. Sandbags are your friends.
    Yes yes ... I'm not stupid =) I have all the gear. I mean, choke points feel like they're just too much work, but I have alternatives - decoys, traps, crossfire turrets. When I say I'm bad, it's part by choice, part because I'm not paying enough attention. Like, say something happens, something that you should make note of, like the first time enemies carry rocket launchers. The game is telling you, in the near future, this is something that will be a problem for you, unless you're prepared. And I just go on playing as I have, because I don't pay attention.

I posit this: Livestock is better than chokepoints. No, really. Have a random cow standing around for the enemies to shoot, while your turrets make short work of them. The AI really isn't university material.