New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Character Habits

So i am playing a character that has the flaw of having daily rituals that he conducts, and that he must never break them. I have a few, but am looking to make it more of a focal point for a short while to help flesh him out a bit. Has anyone else done this before or have ideas?

Things i currently have are using mold earth to make safer campsites, using prestidigitation constantly because he's a clean freak, and praying to his patron for power and thanking them daily.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Character Habits

Right now it sounds as if your character has OCD or at least has a very set order for how they do things, which is a neat concept

Those things you listed are probably good enough if you want to keep the flaw in the background, but if you want it to take a more active roll you could:
    -Never cast a spell during a certain part of the day
    -Need to have everyone walk in a certain formation when traveling or adventuring
    -Write down every important encounter you face play-by-play in a notebook
    -Not cast a certain spell until you cast a different pre-determined spell first
    -Greer everyone/leave every conversation with a certain term or phrase
    -Any generic superstitious thing people usually do (Knock on when when you tell a lie, throw salt over shoulder for good luck, never cross a black cat/break a mirror/walk under a ladder)

Just make sure your flaw doesn’t interrupt other people also trying to have fun at the table, and you should be good to go
    "Frankly, with a million posts dedicated to arguing rules or min/max builds or discussing ways to optimally kill your players without feeling guilty, more about player/DM collaboration are appreciated."-Beeporama
    My Homebrews:
    Oath of the Sand
    Path of the Striker

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So the UA Revived rogue dropped just after my rogue in our Descent into Avernus campaign died, and subsequently hit level 3.

So he came back... weird. I took that background trait and the ones I've had fun with so far are:

- Has to hit an enemy with something in the room they're in before he uses his weapons (is a tavern brawler lol)
    - Has to pocket every dagger he finds. EVERY. DAGGER. As of Lv4 and not buying any more he's got 27 daggers.
    - Polishes all his daggers every morning. Keeps us from moving before like noon most days.

4. - Top - End - #4

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a character that collect heads.

She have demons, monstrosities, humanoids and so own.

She collects only important, strong and/or remarkable creatures heads.

Our cleric and wizard researched a new spell in order to shrink and preserve them.
    The DM made it a ritual.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Continuing the OCD theme;
    Travel at the back of the group, close every door the group opens behind you. Occasionally go back to a door you've closed to double-check that you closed it.

Always prepare one particular spell as a "safety blanket" even if it is generally useless.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs, walk into a town they've never before visited together, all the villagers stop & stare at them. The PCs realise why when they get to the fountain at the centre of town, there are accurate statues of each of them, even down to the gear they currently carry. The statues have been here for generations...