The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler OOC

Can I make a knowledge check to work out what kind of creature this is? And if applicable will use for Dark Knowledge.

Knowledge: (1d20+8)[19]

Edit: Dark Knowledge will work if it's a magical beast, aberration, undead, outsider or elemental.
    Last edited by Dread_Head; 2019-12-07 at 09:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You'll need to actively roll Spot as a move action to be able to view discernible features for Thanquil to determine the creature type in-character. Though since its creature type is one that Dark Knowledge would apply to, the benefits of Dark Knowledge would still activate.

It currently could be several of those, but it's probably not a magical beast or elemental. It's most likely to be an outsider or undead, and it's possible but less likely it's an aberration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, it looks like both my attacks whiffed horribly even with the bless bonus. This does mean I have an inspiration point left because the damage rolls would have never been a thing.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yes, retain the inspiration point if it was going to be spent on damage and you miss.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-07 at 02:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Granted maneuvers

(1d5)[5] (1d4)[4]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

Does the full party get a turn after the guy fell down?
    My posting may be slowed due to graduation and the job search.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yes, though I think Fliggl declared Levyk's action early.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fliggl, it's hard for me to resolve your action in the most beneficial order to you if you post it in the round before it will occur, I end up just resolving it after the zombie knight's action to ensure I don't end up skipping it, but you might've gotten more buffs depending on your ally's actions if I could've waited to resolve your action until some of your allies act in this round.

If you're OK with that, carry on.

It's also possible there was just a misread of initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2019-12-08 at 09:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sorry for that. Somehow I thought, it's another turn already.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Whole lot of whiffing it looks like.

maneuver - (1d3)[3]
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

11. - Top - End - #101

Chimera

Path preferences:

1. Unexplored path before knight's room
    2. Hobgoblin rope (this actually seems more menacing than death hieroglyph, though.)
    3. Death hieroglyph
    4. Back home. (We seem to have a fair bit of firepower left, and we aren't really hurt, are we?)
    "My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
    — The Dragon, to Grendel

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by infomatic View Post
    Path preferences:

1. Unexplored path before knight's room
    2. Hobgoblin rope (this actually seems more menacing than death hieroglyph, though.)
    3. Death hieroglyph
    4. Back home. (We seem to have a fair bit of firepower left, and we aren't really hurt, are we?)
    On a scale of 0 to 12 (0 dying, 12 full health) I'm a 5
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-12-12 at 10:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't you be at full HP? You got a Lesser Vigor after the hobgoblin fight. My Martial Spirit also healed 2 HP on Thanquil so I think none of us is injured.

Aegis you said we can write new things into the setting, I had some ideas for the Foundry where Solstafir does his crafting if you want me to share.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yeah, you're right. Maybe I never changed it or mythweavers hates me... don't know

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Shouldn't you be at full HP? You got a Lesser Vigor after the hobgoblin fight. My Martial Spirit also healed 2 HP on Thanquil so I think none of us is injured.

Aegis you said we can write new things into the setting, I had some ideas for the Foundry where Solstafir does his crafting if you want me to share.
    Please share. I'd be glad to read about your ideas.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the thought was that the Foundry is a huge centralized complex handling the vast majority of Solum's mundane military crafting needs. Crafters are exempted from the draft as long as they regularly produce quality gear used by Delvers. The idea is that the items have to be 'Dungeon-tested'; the item has to have been the primary weapon/armor of an adventurer during a successful Delve with a positive assessment by the user. Some crafters go Delving themselves, but most take up partnerships with other Delvers. The Delver receives a discount, priority service and regular maintenance, while the crafter pads his work résumé to make rank and a bit of shared glory of a successful Delver's celebrity status. Accomplished Delvers are often asked where they get their gear from.

The Foundry would be divided into 44 different Associations making a hugely competitive environment, a state encouraged by the King as he believes this to have a positive impact on quality. The Grand Masters of the Association form a council with some political power in matters of resource allocation and the drafting process, they can veto a selection if they believe the person in question to have promise as a craftsman(I can imagine that corruption is rampant here to keep the children of wealthy families out of the Dungeon). The council is headed by one of its 44 members as High Master. Officially the council selects the High Master themselves, but the King has the right of first nomination followed by an up or down vote. So far that vote has always been a mere formality, with the council never daring to go against the King's preference.

Rank structure in each association would be
    Novice: ability to craft armor and/or weapons
    Apprentice: ability to produce masterwork gear
    Craftsman: having produced two MW items with a successful Delve each
    Journeyman: four MW items with three successful Delves each, ability to work two different special materials each with 1 successful Delve
    Master: 12 MW items with three successful Delves each, among those four items with a combined total of 20 Delves, ability to work five different special materials each with 1 successful Delve, and make one ceremonial weapon/armor of exceptional quality(DC 35) that serves as symbol of their Master rank
    The masters of each Association democratically elect their Grand Master, with the most senior master having the Deputy Grand Master rank by default.

As a crafter's reputation is tied to their partnered Delvers they can fall on hard times if their partners die during a Delve. If no one else is willing to take their gear they may be forced to go on a Delve themselves to maintain their 1/month Delve requirement to maintain their drafting immunity. Better braving the Dungeon once than to risk being permanently drafted after all.

Endless Legend has some gorgeous artwork I thought decently fitting for such a huge complex, like this or this for the underground parts.

17. - Top - End - #107

Well, the thought was that the Foundry is a huge centralized complex handling the vast majority of Solum's mundane military crafting needs. Crafters are exempted from the draft as long as they regularly produce quality gear used by Delvers. The idea is that the items have to be 'Dungeon-tested'; the item has to have been the primary weapon/armor of an adventurer during a successful Delve with a positive assessment by the user. Some crafters go Delving themselves, but most take up partnerships with other Delvers. The Delver receives a discount, priority service and regular maintenance, while the crafter pads his work résumé to make rank and a bit of shared glory of a successful Delver's celebrity status. Accomplished Delvers are often asked where they get their gear from.

The Foundry would be divided into 44 different Associations making a hugely competitive environment, a state encouraged by the King as he believes this to have a positive impact on quality. The Grand Masters of the Association form a council with some political power in matters of resource allocation and the drafting process, they can veto a selection if they believe the person in question to have promise as a craftsman(I can imagine that corruption is rampant here to keep the children of wealthy families out of the Dungeon). The council is headed by one of its 44 members as High Master. Officially the council selects the High Master themselves, but the King has the right of first nomination followed by an up or down vote. So far that vote has always been a mere formality, with the council never daring to go against the King's preference.

Rank structure in each association would be
    Novice: ability to craft armor and/or weapons
    Apprentice: ability to produce masterwork gear
    Craftsman: having produced two MW items with a successful Delve each
    Journeyman: four MW items with three successful Delves each, ability to work two different special materials each with 1 successful Delve
    Master: 12 MW items with three successful Delves each, among those four items with a combined total of 20 Delves, ability to work five different special materials each with 1 successful Delve, and make one ceremonial weapon/armor of exceptional quality(DC 35) that serves as symbol of their Master rank
    The masters of each Association democratically elect their Grand Master, with the most senior master having the Deputy Grand Master rank by default.

As a crafter's reputation is tied to their partnered Delvers they can fall on hard times if their partners die during a Delve. If no one else is willing to take their gear they may be forced to go on a Delve themselves to maintain their 1/month Delve requirement to maintain their drafting immunity. Better braving the Dungeon once than to risk being permanently drafted after all.

Endless Legend has some gorgeous artwork I thought decently fitting for such a huge complex, like this or this for the underground parts.
    Huh, this stuff is kind of neat. I can use some of this ad an added reason why Orchid was overlooked for the draft. I believe that I did write in that her father was an artificer before her and taught her his trade. I might use the Crafter/Delver relationship as an explanation of how her parents got together.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like it. Quite a lot. I have some suggestions:

Perhaps there is a maximum rank for mundane crafters and with the top crafter ranks being reserved for those who show the capability to craft magical gear. Altering magical dregs from the Dungeon into useful magical goods for Solum is invaluable, after all.

Considering the huge bulk of people who Delve (the draft hits roughly 50% of the able bodied populace of this hyper metropolitan city), rather than a few successful delves, having it tied to your primary Delver partner's kill count and overall % survival rate for Delvers recorded carrying your equipment as primary gear is a way for the leadership to obfuscate the requirements to reach the top rankings, making entering the upper echelon of the Foundry about both the ability to manage your partners into harvesting magic from the Dungeon for you, as well as politics.

This also easily ties in since all Delvers will have official papers that the tall round hat bureaucrats will have double checked and recorded information from prior to a delve with all kinds of information about a Delver, including equipment. After all if the Delve is a total loss, it's important to record what equipment was lost and monitor to see if it might reappear in another Delver's treasure haul.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Huh, this stuff is kind of neat. I can use some of this ad an added reason why Orchid was overlooked for the draft. I believe that I did write in that her father was an artificer before her and taught her his trade. I might use the Crafter/Delver relationship as an explanation of how her parents got together.
    That's an interesting idea! It makes sense for crafters and their partnered Delvers to develop close relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Perhaps there is a maximum rank for mundane crafters and with the top crafter ranks being reserved for those who show the capability to craft magical gear. Altering magical dregs from the Dungeon into useful magical goods for Solum is invaluable, after all.
    Yeah, that makes sense, especially since there is no further improvement in quality for higher Craft modifier beyond masterwork(well, except Dwarvencraft at DC 22). It just doesn't make a natural transition skill-wise as in the rules there is very little overlap between mundane crafting and magical crafting. Item creation feats don't require you to have a craft skill, you can just take a base item made by anyone else so my initial idea was that the Foundry is handling mundane craftsmanship while the magical enhancement of their produce is handled by others, like a mage's guild, the temples, some artificers or whoever.

Of course it would work out well for my Ironsoul Forgemaster So Master rank requiring an item creation feat is something I certainly wouldn't mind.

Considering the huge bulk of people who Delve (the draft hits roughly 50% of the able bodied populace of this hyper metropolitan city), rather than a few successful delves, having it tied to your primary Delver partner's kill count and overall % survival rate for Delvers recorded carrying your equipment as primary gear is a way for the leadership to obfuscate the requirements to reach the top rankings, making entering the upper echelon of the Foundry about both the ability to manage your partners into harvesting magic from the Dungeon for you, as well as politics.

This also easily ties in since all Delvers will have official papers that the tall round hat bureaucrats will have double checked and recorded information from prior to a delve with all kinds of information about a Delver, including equipment. After all if the Delve is a total loss, it's important to record what equipment was lost and monitor to see if it might reappear in another Delver's treasure haul.
    The only thing here I'd consider a bad idea is the survival rate of everyone carrying your gear. That would discourage crafters from giving their product to anyone without an already good track record, leaving fresh or just not all too competent Delvers with only the scraps as the good crafters wouldn't want to ruin their record by supplying a newbie. That certainly would rather unnecessarily inflate casualty rates. I'd limit it to the success rate of partnered Delvers, while allowing and even encouraging you to spread your products to many others without negative repercussions if they don't make it. The easier good gear is available the higher the overall success rate of Delves should be.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The only thing here I'd consider a bad idea is the survival rate of everyone carrying your gear. That would discourage crafters from giving their product to anyone without an already good track record, leaving fresh or just not all too competent Delvers with only the scraps as the good crafters wouldn't want to ruin their record by supplying a newbie. That certainly would rather unnecessarily inflate casualty rates. I'd limit it to the success rate of partnered Delvers, while allowing and even encouraging you to spread your products to many others without negative repercussions if they don't make it. The easier good gear is available the higher the overall success rate of Delves should be.
    Maybe there's a delineating factor of partnered Delvers, sponsored Delvers, and "not-really-associated-but-happens-to-be-carrying-your-gear-as-primary-equipment" Delvers.With a better name for the last one. Or it could just be overall quality of craftsmanship, rather than what it's used for, as the factor. Since someone has to make and enhance the fortifications for Solum and those giant stone blocks used to make the fortress walls aren't going into the Dungeon for Delves.

21. - Top - End - #111

Oh, I was just about to nominate Solstafir, so I guess that works out.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, he is an excellent tank to absorb the first attack. The spider didn't get through my damage reduction, so the poison doesn't take effect either. Which is good as fireblood dwarves lose the racial bonus against poison.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Forgot maneuver rolls (1d5)[1] (1d4)[4]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

@Aegis: it's hidden, but it's there:

DC15 Any surface with adequate handholds and footholds (natural or artificial), such as a very rough natural rock surface or a tree, or an unknotted rope, or pulling yourself up when dangling by your hands.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sometimes I can be unintentionally selectively blind. Thanks for the assist, Fliggl. Looks like it didn't matter since the grappling hook prevailed.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

So just the black door left. Those hierogyphs matching us sure are ominous, but we're at full health and the encounters were rather managable. Let's at least take a look, if it's too bad we can still make a run for it to the exit portal.

27. - Top - End - #117

Thanquil has studied the Dungeon extensively in training. Does he know anything about the portal / black door from his studies? Is this the usual end to a delve or something different?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

I will go first, but I already got an AC of 20, better put the Protection from Evil on Levyk who only has a 13. Just wait with the casting until Orchid has done her Infusions, those take some time.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Head View Post
    Thanquil has studied the Dungeon extensively in training. Does he know anything about the portal / black door from his studies? Is this the usual end to a delve or something different?
    It's hard to say. This particular thing seems very unusually specific to the group, something that doesn't typically happen in the Dungeon. Though morphing passages happen from time to time.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Ow, this looks like a rough fight.

We'll probably want to avoid melee with the big one as long as possible. Regretably they act before Levyk so they get to move before he can use an Entangle, but I can drop a harpoon for Geraldo to use and draw a new one for myself. The halved movement and no charging should keep it away for at least a turn if we manage to hit, giving us time for Entangle which together with the harpoons makes for a pretty good lockdown.

edit: ah wait Geraldo lost initiative, someone else then
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2019-12-16 at 07:15 PM.