Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 61
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    True Faerie

    "Maybe this whole world's just a dream."
    Edward Elric

    "Imagine a race of flying, invisible, shapechanging spellcasters who have been at the intrigue game for longer than your race has existed and you'll have a pretty good idea of why I want to leave right now."
    Escalla Brightflower, True Faerie


    Let the elves and the dwarves and the humans bicker and fight over who was created when and how the universe was ordered. The Faerie know - because they were there. Not even the Fae know quite how the universe started - they simply know that they have recorded, and indeed still have living witnesses to - the birthings of gods, the endings of worlds, the formations of planes and the sundering and streatching of reality itself. Faerie history is too long and complicated to chronicle here - indeed, even their creation myths can take a keg of wine and a month of your time to tell - but it is enough to say that they are responsible for the Seelie Court, and nominally rule it - as much as anyone can rule that body - to this day.

    The True Faeries are a curious people, at the same time cuttingly brilliant and sadly deluded. Millennia upon millennia of magical research has yielded them tremendous secrets of magic, and for a long while, the Faeries hid with their spells in demiplanes that were more illusion than reality, sinking themselves into their dream worlds. Now, cautiously, the Fae are emerging into the world again, to see that they may not be as mighty as they once thought. The tenacious efforts of the other mortal races have forced the Faerie to adapt, and now the fractioning Seelie Court is dissolving again into its component Clans - political intrigues in this new world ending what little harmony the ambitious Fae had.

    Older Faeries have a disturbingly - chillingly - long-term view, planning tiny political dances and social maneuvers that can last hundreds of millenia to achieve status or some seemingly inconsequential goal. The politics among the clans are so utterly incomprehensible to mortal beings that even the famed Drow are put to shame by the true masters of intrigue. Younger Faeries - those only a few hundred years old, or perhaps younger - are just the opposite, hotheaded firebrands with no long-term view and no desire to aquire one. However, with emergence into mortal societies, the Fae are mellowing out - firebrands beginning to stop and think for the sake of their companions, and puppetmasters picking up the pace to take advantage of the shorter-lived races.

    Alignment: The True Faeries tend towards chaos and lean slightly towards evil due to the self-serving nature of their society. There are far more self-interested nuetral than evil Fae, however, and a growing movement of good-aligned Faeries is gaining prominence in what is left of the Seelie Court, spearheaded by Clan Nightshade.

    Racial Features
    +6 Dex, +4 Int, +2 Cha, -6 Con, -6 Str, -2 Wis. The Faeries are small and physically weak and frail, with a tendency towards low self-control and recklessness. However, their tiny size makes them quick, and billions of years of learning, magic, and politics has bred into them intelligence and wit.

    Tiny Fey (Humanoid) - A True Faerie is affected by any spell that would affect a humaoid or a fey.

    Base Land Speed 5 ft, Fly Speed 20 ft (Perfect). The Faerie fly with four dragonfly-like wings.

    Shapechange (Sp): Once per round as a standard action, the Faerie may change her shape to anything roughly her size and exactly her weight - including inanimate objects, or back again. She gains none of the abilities of her new form (including those that would be gained by virtue of material, such as Hardness from wood) and loses her ability to cast spells that contain somatic components unless the new form has all the appropriate appendages to do so. She retains all other extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities of her normal form, including her ability to speak. A Faerie who is slain while shapechanged reverts to her natural form, though she remains dead.

    Invisibility (Sp): At will as a move action, the Faerie may make herself invisible as the spell (as cast by a 3rd level wizard). She may maintain this invisibility for only half an hour at a time, and must wait ten minutes between uses of this ability before she may use it again.

    Charm Person (Sp): By spraying her victim with dust from her wings, the Faerie may affect one victim within melee range as if by a charm person spell (as cast by a 1st level wizard) once per day. Faeries are immune to the effects of Faerie dust, and the dust becomes impotent after a one round.

    Magic-Bound: Spells are not merely a tool for the Fae, but a means of existence. A Faerie must have over one-half her character levels in a spellcasting class (for the purposes of this ability, a 'spellcasting class' is one that has access to spells or other signifigant form of magical power from first level) or suffer a 75% experience penalty. Prestige classes do not count against their levels in spellcasting classes so long as they have their own casting progression or they increase the level of one or more of their existing spellcasting classes at least once every two levels.

    Level Adjustment +2


    Whew. Alright, what'cha think?
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2007-10-19 at 05:33 AM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Neftren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    I'd go to LA +3 and give it wings... unless your idea of a faerie is slightly different from mine? The hefty stat changes I'd go for +1. The Charm Person and Invisibility add another +1 or +2... Magic-Bound seems kinda restrictive so I guess that balances out.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Oops, forgot to say they had dragonfly wings >.> That was entirely my bad.

    The stats have a total modifier of -2, and they take huge penalties on Strength and Con to boot - the -2 Wis is just sorta another kick to the teeth. Personally (may be biased as the creator, mind), I'd put the stats at +0 L.A. because it ends up being more penalty than bonus.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Neftren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Good point. Although it'd be perfect for rogues... except for the -6 Str. So you'd have to drop your highest stat roll into strength... or point buy a 16 for no stat mods. There's 10 of your points gone already. Not much of a bit hit though...

    I'm still inclined to put it at LA +3... your choice though.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    What would they do with rogue? Their weapons do pathetically little damage (small), their invisibility is one-shot for that encounter and may not even be available for the next one. Sure, they've got some of teh stealthness, but at the end of the day, they get stealth and skill points, and that's it - everything else works utterly against rogue, including and especially those str/con penalties. I mean, what are they gonna steal with a carrying capacity that small? A single coin?


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Neftren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Easy.

    Skillmonkey + Invisibility + Handy Haversack or Bag of Holding

    Plus a +6 to Dex means that Weapon Finesse adds a bonus of +3 base, and assuming we have at least an 18 in Dex, that's 24 Dexterity, or a +7 Bonus to hit. Sure, just fly around, attacking, without getting hit, since nobody can actually see you. At high levels... maybe not so much but at around 6 level, this race just kicks butt. Simple.

    Don't forget that with these stats, the true faerie can open just about any lock, (+11 if Maxed) and well... skillmonkey.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2007-10-18 at 09:24 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Except they only get the invis for ONE attack. Further, you actually have to be able to fit the item in the bag of holding - for a tiny creature, that bag's opening is likewise friggin' small - and the bag of holding weighs fifteen pounds too, which means some faeries may not even be able to carry THAT.

    Tell me what, show me your build idea with current +2 L.A., because I garuntee you, with Tiny carrying capacity and strength that low, you won't be much good besides as a skillmonkey (and even then, some traps will be impossible for you to disarm because they're too big). 32 point buy, SRD - have fun.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2007-10-18 at 09:27 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Unless you can find a reasonably way to boost str, this class is a great to hit, no damage class. Sure, Rogue can do the sneak attack, and invisibility is great... not to mention the massive bonus to move silently and hide, flanking is good too. But what can you carry? That isn't meant for you? A small sword, dagger, rapier, whatnot would be okay, cause you could carry it and lift it, same with your armor, but after that? You won't be carrying much. Scout would be okay with race, too bad their move speed is atrocious; for skirmish and anyway. Ranger would be better; but it would more funny.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    I made an ECL 12 character with this race just now, to see how bad their LA needs adjusting. If anyone wants to see the original argument let me know. Here's what I came up with when I was finished, however.

    Tiny Size: +2 Size AC, -8 Grapple, +8 Hide - not that big a deal. It's a free 2 AC, but the penalties (0ft reach) make up for it, in my opinion.

    Racial Modifiers: +6 Dex, +4 Int, +2 Cha, -6 Str, -6 Con, -2 Wis: Total of -2 penalty. - If they weren't Tiny, I could see the reason of giving them a +2 or higher LA.

    Racial Abilities: The Charm Person as 1st level Wizard; is that at will?

    Invisibility: The restrictions placed upon it even it out.

    Shapechange: Eh. Could take or leave Shapechange at that size.

    Magic-Bound: Not really a requirement; the only thing this race is good for is spellcasting classes with lots of ranged touch attack spells.

    Here's the sample build I came up with @ECL 12:

    Sorcerer 5/Rogue 3/Arcane Trickster 2
    Using 32 point buy:
    STR: 2 (-4) (Base 8)
    DEX: 22 (+6) (Base 16)
    CON: 4 (-3) (Base 10)
    INT: 16 (+3) (Base 12)
    WIS: 6 (-2) (Base 8)
    CHA: 20 (+5) (Base 18)

    Spells as a 7th level Sorcerer
    Skillmonkey
    Able to reach +32 (or more) on ranged touch attack spells.
    3d6 sneak attack.
    @32 point buy, 22 base CHA by character level 10. Add in enchanted items (if you can find them for Tiny).
    Right spell choice means anyone with less than 5 ranks in balance gets zapped by a ranged touch attack with Sneak Attack dice.

    Becomes even more vicious when it becomes 3 Wizard/3 Rogue/4 Arcane Trickster.

    However, this is easily doable with any other race, except for the 22 CHA (Aasimar could do it).

    My verdict?
    +1 LA.
    +2 is too high as they aren't on par with other +2's (Drow, Fey'ri, Duergar, etc); the ability scores, size, etc, earn it a +1 LA total. Sure, you get nice ability score adjustments, but you also get some heavy penalties to go with it.

    The flight, however, may make it a +2 on its own. But I stand by my statement of +1.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TK-Squared's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Every time I think of Fey, I think of high Charisma and a connection to magical powers, rather than invoking them from the ether or whatever. Personally, I'd swap the Int and Cha bonuses.

    Then, take Warlock as a class.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Oops, forgot that their Faerie dust is once per day - thank'ee Imp.

    Now, everyone, look at those stats. They seem pretty decent, but that 4 con means that every level of wizard, sorc, or D4 class nets these guys -1- hit point, maybe 2 if they drop for Improved Toughness. That's a punch in the gut. A severe one.

    @Tk - There's a reason they have the Humanoid subtype besides balancing. They're fey because they're an innate part of the universe, but that's about the extent of their fey-ness. Any connection to nature or the primal, wild nature of magic they once had has long since been extinguished. They're sorta like Vulcans (Star Trek) - even the chaotic ones think in patterns and processes and logical extensions of what they know - and their 'innate' powers are controlled the same way. The Cha bonus is just because of a few billion milennia of lying, cheating, negotiating, backstabbing, and otherwise manipulating each other. That's also why it's so small - it's superficial, not really representative of what a substantial increase in Cha represents (self-confidence, force of personality, and absolute iron assurance in your own self).

    @Relentless - Think about this for Shapechange - turning into a really long, thin, heavy worm, then slipping through a keyhole. Or disguising oneself as a small object. It's useful, just limited.

    Though I -would- be happy to hear L.A. 1....


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    FireSpark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    447th layer of the Abyss
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Question.

    Would the Warlock class qualify to meet the demands of the spellbound requirement of the race? Because if so, I could see a True Faerie Warlock being a fun build to play.

    *Zappy*Zap*Zap*
    The light shine on you, and the Creator shelter you. The last embrace of the mother welcome you home.




    Wanna check out all the nifty Homebrews I've done? Click Here! Hurry!

    Awarded the Bronze Donkey by Serpentine, for the Ass at the End of the Universe.

    Come on in and give a shout out from where ever you are!!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    yeah i would swap int and cha secondly considering all of the penalties, it could get a +1la, the half fey in the fiend folio gets charm person at will and better flight speed and i think an even lower penalty to con in addition to any other bonus you would get from the other race since it's a template soo yeah also in my opinion warlock would count as a casting class for terms of the requiremtent.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    I've outlined above why the Int and Cha are how they are, and will not repeat myself on that score.

    Warlock falls under, 'other signifigant source of magical power', so I'd say yeah, they count. Don't hold me to that, though, because it's ultimately your DMs decision.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Alex12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Does psionics count as significant magical power for purposes of Magic-bound?
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Blossom View Post
    And then you wrote about it on your livejournal, dyed your hair black and started taking warlock levels.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Ask your DM - some people don't consider psionics to be magical, others do.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Well, it depends on the state of transparency, really.

    But given that the race says "Spellcasting Class", it makes one think of Sorc/Wiz, Cleric, Favored Soul, etc, not psionic classes - mainly because of the terminology. Casters "cast" their spells; Psionicists "manifest" their powers.

    If they're a magic-heavy race, then I'd leave it as "arcane and divine casters", and not include manifesters. However, it's up to the creator of the race.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    +3 or +4.

    The ability scores are worth at least +1 by themselves.

    Flight is worth +2.

    The specials are worth +1.

    No drawbacks, as you'd only ever think of playing a spellcaster anyway. I mean, a rogue with -6 str? A scout? Anything that relies on physical damage is shot, leaving... Magic! Duh.

    I would hesitate to place this at +3 LA. +4 is safer.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    osyluth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Abyss

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    wiz is right the lv. adj. is to low

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz_the_Wizard View Post
    No drawbacks, as you'd only ever think of playing a spellcaster anyway.
    And that statement alone reveals how little you know about balancing/the L.A. system. There will inevitably be the player who decides to break that mold, or the NPC, or whatever, and you need to consider that, not just say, "Well, they're all casters and casters are borked so up the L.A.". There are plenty of drawbacks, not the least of which is that con penalty.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    That 75% experience penalty makes it kind of difficult to break that mold. The con penalty is a big deal, yes; they remain good spellcasters and skillmonkeys, however.

    But, compare them to pixies:
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    Special Attacks
    Greater Invisibility (Su)

    A pixie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action.
    Spell-Like Abilities

    1/day—lesser confusion (DC 14), dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 15), dispel magic, entangle (DC 14), permanent image (DC 19; visual and auditory elements only). Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

    One pixie in ten can use irresistible dance (caster level 8th) once per day.
    Special Arrows (Ex)

    Pixies sometimes employ arrows that deal no damage but can erase memory or put a creature to sleep.
    Memory Loss

    An opponent struck by this arrow must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or lose all memory. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus. The subject retains skills, languages, and class abilities but forgets everything else until he or she receives a heal spell or memory restoration with limited wish, wish, or miracle.
    Sleep

    Any opponent struck by this arrow, regardless of Hit Dice, must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or be affected as though by a sleep spell. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

    Pixies as Characters
    * -4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
    * Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
    * A pixie’s base land speed is 20 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60 feet (good).
    * Low-light vision.
    * Skills: Pixies have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
    * Racial Feats: A pixie receives Dodge and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats.
    * +1 natural armor bonus.
    * Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities.
    * Special Qualities (see above): Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility, spell resistance equal to 15 + class levels.
    * Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
    * Favored Class: Sorcerer.
    * Level adjustment +4 (+6 if the pixie can use irresistible dance).
    Those ability scores are far, far more than the True Faerie's, with far better special abilities.

    So again, I stand by my statement of +1LA, though +2 would be a more comfortable level.
    Last edited by RelentlessImp; 2007-10-19 at 04:33 PM.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    boomwolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In your head.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    This is one deadly race.
    But if any opponent has MM, you are dead. and i mean, a level 5 sorcerer true true faerie will have about 13 hp. meaning it will take a level 5 sorcerer/wizard of any race can put her below 0 hp with a single, never-miss three-shot magic missile. (3d4+3, average of 10.5 damage. close.) at worse case he needs two casting (and with two casting you can do it in level 3. 4d4+4 gets you an average of 14 damage.)
    A level 3 wizard can kill her with 1 scorching ray if he hits. and if he hits, he can get her to -10 by that hit. (4d6. average of 12 damage.)

    As far it is hard to hit this critter, every hit is deadly for it. the -6 con is a hard blow.
    Also note, that due to size, some funny things can happen (tanglefoot bag? you drown.)
    Risky to play, as far as it is good, you need skill and cunning (as a player) to survive.

    But i would still raise LA to +3


    Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned
     
    EvilElitest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oh gods i wish i knew
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Really cool idea, and i think LA 3 works well, just can we have a slightly more detailed discrimination please. Something about really what kind of fairy it is based after ect. Picture?
    from,
    EE

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Well, the race itself is based off the Faerie featured in "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" by Jeff Grubb, which were never actually statted. Princess Escalla Brightflower is one of the main characters in that book, which involves a tiny glimpse of Fae politics. If you read it, I reccomend reading 'White Plume Mountain' first.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned
     
    EvilElitest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oh gods i wish i knew
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Well, the race itself is based off the Faerie featured in "Descent into the Depths of the Earth" by Jeff Grubb, which were never actually statted. Princess Escalla Brightflower is one of the main characters in that book, which involves a tiny glimpse of Fae politics. If you read it, I reccomend reading 'White Plume Mountain' first.
    I've never even heard of these books sorry
    from,
    EE

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Well, let's give a physical description, shall we?

    True Faerie are tiny humanoids that stand between 1' to 1'7" tall, and weigh between 10 and 35 lbs, with males noticeably heavier than females, but not taller. They are slender, with gently angular facial features and pointed ears, with slim, greaceful antannae protruding from their foreheads. They tend towards fair hair and light eyes, though the occasional Fae is born dark-haired, with very little facial hair if any at all. They prefer either loose robes or tight leathers and chains that don't restrict flight from their two pairs of dragonfly wings, and generally regard anyone they meet either with cold disdain or wildly passionate emotion - that, indeed, is the easiest way to tell young Fae from old.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Looking at Imp's pixie argument, I'm very much inclined to agree with him - I mean, holy hell, look at that!


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    And that statement alone reveals how little you know about balancing/the L.A. system. There will inevitably be the player who decides to break that mold, or the NPC, or whatever, and you need to consider that, not just say, "Well, they're all casters and casters are borked so up the L.A.". There are plenty of drawbacks, not the least of which is that con penalty.
    Borked? Anyway... If you decide, Ira, to play something that is stupid such as a True Faerie fighter, it's your fault. That alone does not make the race worth less LA. Look again.

    Tiny size is unusual, making it worth a point of LA. +2 attacks and AC, +8 Hide... Flight is another point, because you need never come off the ceiling (or 70ft in the air). The ability scores, although they net out to -2, are worth another point. Their distribution makes you have VERY high dex and int scores. Str and Con getting hit is bad, sure, but when you play the race in an optimized manner you will not care.

    Observe: TF wizard. Flies, say, 50ft up at all times, or on the ceiling. Ridonkulous AC with size bonuses, Dex, and buffs. Low HP, offset in part by False Life spell (since you don't need Fly or Levitate). Low concentration, but who will be threatening you anyway? Your Scorching Ray spells and such won't ever miss due to your +2 size bonus and insane Dex. And you say that's only worth +1 LA? It's better than the drow, for Celestia's sake!

    I say +3, as it is not entirely comparable with the pixie at +4.

    -E3

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Okay, info from Savage Species supports the +1/+2 argument, first. Second, Tiny is more a penalty than a bonus - they need to pay extra to get equipment for their size. They can't carry -****-. They get a little bonus to AC and to hit, but it ain't much. They have absolutely -no- HP - a Fireball, or Magic Missle, or someone else's Scorching Ray, or that dude with a longbow and Rapid Shot will cut them down to size right quick.

    You can't make an argument that involves the Fae using spells to overcome its penalties because any race can do that. Hell, the aforementioned Drow example just needs a cheap Potion of Fly and some spells to make my little Faerie into a chump, especially considering Drow SR.

    Faeries get some SLAs. They get some nifty stat bonuses offset by penalties to the three most important stats in the game. They're stuck in caster classes, which, at best, get D8 hit die if they go Duskblade. Which means that they're absolutely screwed against anyone who has any way to hit them.

    Now, let me post, for those who aren't aware of them, the Four Iron Laws of Homebrew Balancing -

    1. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class, or unmentioned custom material shall be judged by its combo with Item X unless said custom material is specifically intended to combo with Item X (such as a Prestige Class that centers around the Hammer of Thunderbolts).
    2. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class, or unmentioned custom material shall by judged by what you can do with Spell Y, because Spell Y can be cast by anyone, at any time, from any race. The exception to this rule is if Spell Y is a custom spell that belongs only to said custom material.
    3. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class or unmentioned custom material shall be judged by its interaction with Dip Class X, Template Y, Class Combo Z, or any combination of the exclusions mentioned by this rule and the previous two. The exception to this rule is if said custom material is statisitically bound to said restrictions (though how one designs material that forces the use of a dip class is beyond most people's comprehension).
    4. No Class, Race, Template, Item, Prestige Class, or unmentioned custom material shall be judged by how broken you can make it with Cleric or Druid, because even a Smurf could break Cleric or Druid. The exception to this rule is any custom material that specifically benefits Clerics or Druids (by mention of their class name, such as, "+1 to Cleric caster level,"


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: [Race] "Just because something's only a foot and a half tall..."

    Tiny size more penalty than bonus? I beg to differ.

    TF stores will stock standard-price Tiny equipment, I'd say.

    They can carry more, comparatively, than any Med. creature can. Carrying cap goes down by 3/4 per size, while items weigh 1/2 less. That means that for every size down you go, you can carry more appropriately-sized gear.

    Your argument for easy killability ( :P ) is kind of moot. Who's going to hit them with that scorching ray, anyway? Or even see them? I mean, why shoot that pigeon?

    I stand by +3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •