New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help needed making a campaign setting.

I'm not sure how any of these ideas would go over with any one here, but I would like some help in crafting a campaign. Note that I don't like the idea of a campaign either being entirely serious or comedic. Please walk me through this, I need help coming up with a campaign setting and I need someone to walk me through the process. I especially need help with the races and cultures.

1. The core monk class will not be used for Western or Byzantine-style monks. The core monk class is more appropriate for a Far Eastern campaign. Monks based off of Western or Byzantine monks will either clerics (for warrior monks) or archivists (for scholarly monks and friars).
    2. Any and all religious knightly orders will be comprised entirely by clerics, not paladins. Paladins are more accurately thought of as Lawful Good solders whose devotion to his or her god or goddess is rewarded with extraordinary powers. Paladin equivalents of other alignments would also be secular (non-clerical) warriors specifically blessed by their patron.
    3. Necromancy is the magic of life and death. In other words Necromancy is magic related to organic substances and compounds.
    4. Any and all multi-class restrictions based solely on class are eliminated.
    5. Wizardly magic comes from scientific knowledge and experimentation.
    6. All races have political structures and territory. Most races have two preferred schools of magic. This is list of some of those races.

Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Race|Alignment*|Model|Preferred school or schools**
    Dwarves|
    LG
    |
    Germanic Countries
    |Tran., Conju.
    Elves|
    CG
    |
    British Imperial Republic
    |Nec., Abj.
    Gnomes|
    N(L)G
    |
    Switzerland
    |Ill., Tran.
    Gnolls|
    CE
    |
    Hobseian anarchy
    |Nec.
    Goblins|
    LN
    |
    Puritan England
    |Tran., Evoc.
    Halflings|
    NG
    |
    rural England
    |none
    Hags|
    NE
    |
    Forests near elven and dwarven territory. Kidnappers, thieves, and hit women.
    |Nec., Illu.
    Hobgoblins|
    LG
    |
    Puritian England ex-patriates
    |Abju.
    Humans|
    varied
    |
    varied
    |none
    Kobolds (1)|
    LE
    |
    Germanic
    |Ench., Evoc.
    Kobolds (2)|
    LG
    |
    Persian Empire (Zoroastrian)
    |Conju., Div.
    Orcs|
    LE
    |
    a mix of Sparta and Celtic culture
    |Conju., Ench.
    Ogres|
    CG
    |
    see elves
    |Nec., Tran.
    Trolls|
    CE
    |
    no country, numerous war bands Germanic
    |none
    [/table]

*The alignment column is for that race's alignment as a whole.
    **This is for what school of magic this race prefers to specialize in.
    7. All arcane magic is class and level based as well as skill based.
    8. Clerics serve as warrior priests or warrior monks.
    9. Druids, clerics, and archivists require a specific patron for their powers. They also can only cast spells appropriate to that deity.
    10. Being a somewhat eclectic campaign it will be inspired by a number of sources. This includes every thing from Shrek (for some humor as well as a modified version of the ogre race), The Legends of Charlemagne (and other examples of heroic fantasy), Kolchak the Nightstalker, to The X-Files as well as various historical works and some fairy tales.

I've partially fleshed out some of the setting and would gladly accept any help needed.

In this campaign setting there are 13 main races and two cultural variants aside from those of humanity. Each of them plays an important geopolitical on this world, some for the better and some for the worse. In addition there are numerous religions and sects within this world each with its own social and political sphere of influence. I'm also going to make some significant changes to elves, goblins and ogres. I'll also need help with the background text for each race. Mostly I need help organizing my thoughts, not coming up with the ideas themselves. For each race I'm using a similar format to Iron Crown Entertainment's Rolemaster and Middle Earth Role-Playing systems.

All racial information has been moved into individual threads.

The split between goblins and hobgoblins took place in the year 563 O.E. (Orcish Empire). It took place over the concept of predestination and weather or not salvation requires good works. The theologian Arthur Bitterwood, head of the goblin delegation, argued that God had determined the damnation or salvation of all the members of the sentient races at the beginning of time. Arguing for the hobgoblins, was the theologian Roger Dentroot, articulated the position that all thinking races are responsible for their own damnation or salvation. After decades of looking for a new home hobgoblin kind (under the leadership Roger Dentroot) came up on the Sun kobolds. They almost immediately saw them as fellows who agreed with portions of their theology, and settled among the Good kobolds acting as guards and front line troops.
    However this was only the final straw for goblin-hobgoblin relations. In the year 2516 F.D. (Fae Dominion), war broke out between the Fae League, also known as the "good fairies"(made up of the elves, goblins, hobgoblins, ogres, nymphs, satyrs and other non-Evil fae) and the combined forces of the cave dwelling Western kobolds, the hag covens, and twelve dozen orcish war bands, as well as corrupted fae of other kinds. While the Fae League triumphed, allegations of goblin humiliation of prisoners of war surfaced. In response to these concerns the famed goblin statesman Reginald Blackstone said, "Provided we do not take part in the same blasphemous cannibalistic actions as the orcs do, are we not justified in treating them the way we would treat common animals?" This caused a schism in the fae community split apart the goblins and hobgoblins.

Well known characters of this setting: Armadal Cannonach (LE ogre fighter 12, Dark Mashal of Bael 12), Doctor Jonathan Ellington (CG human anatomist, level undecided), Barthold Dehmer (CG bearfolk deathslayer 21, marshal of liberty 15) and king Artakhshathra (paladin 4, anatomist 18, found here).

Any help or ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by Duke Malagigi; 2007-09-06 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Title change
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: A few humble campaign ideas for an unamed setting.

Please help me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Should your Military Orders really only be populated by Clerics? It seems to me that the vast majority of the fighting arm of a Military Order would be composed of Warriors and Fighters (or the equivalents). Clerics are more the Chaplins within the Order, I would have thought. Also, remember that a large number of the Monks are likely to be Experts and Archivists, even in Military Orders, as they need support staff.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-08-04 at 12:26 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Should your Military Orders really only be populated by Clerics? It seems to me that the vast majority of the fighting arm of a Military Order would be composed of Warriors and Fighters (or the equivalents). Clerics are more the Chaplins within the Order, I would have thought. Also, remember that a large number of the Monks are likely to be Experts and Archivists, even in Military Orders, as they need support staff.
    The military orders that I'm talking about are monastic or priestly military orders, which is what I think of most when envision clerics. I could imagine archivists and experts acting as support though. Now if you want military orders of druids, that could also be feasible. Think about that for a moment, druidic templars.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I know. However, don't you think it's a bit crazy to conceive of a Military Order staffed only by Clerics? What's to stop other Character Classes from becoming Monks? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big proponent of Clerics as Warrior Monks, but I don't see them as dominating Monastic Military Orders. I guess it depends what you consider the frequency of Clerics to be in your Campaign World, though.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

This all looks very interesting, especially the races.

For the Hags, im particularly interested, I was statting them for my own setting(using GURPS, though..)
    If these hags live in forests, then you might base yourself on the Green ones, who live in swamps and "dark forests". Of course, if you want them available as a player race you might have to reduce their powers, or simply remove some abilities.
    A Green Hag has:
    * +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
    * Darkvision 90
    * Spell Resistance 18
    * 9 racial hit dice of "monstrous humanoid"
    * Spell-Like Abilities AT WILL: dancing lights, disguise self, ghost sound (DC 12), invisibility, pass without trace, tongues, water breathing.
    * Touch of weakness, victim must pass a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of hag hit dice + hag Charisma bonus, usually 16)or take 2d6 of Str damage.
    * Mimicry.
    * 30' swim speed, and +8 on Swim checks.
    * ECL +unknown(SRD doesn't mention it)

As you can see, this race is particularly powerful.
    Here's a MUCH weakened version, that MIGHT be be balanced with +2 ECL.
    * +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
    * Darkvision 60'
    * Spell Resistance 10 + class level.
    * Touch of weakness: causes 1d4 rather than 2d6 Str damage.
    * Disguise self once/day. Becomes twice/day at level 6, three times at level 12 and four at level 18.
    * ECL +2.
    Last edited by Edivad; 2007-08-04 at 05:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Edivad View Post
    This all looks very interesting, especially the races.

For the Hags, im particularly interested, I was statting them for my own setting(using GURPS, though..)
    If these hags live in forests, then you might base yourself on the Green ones, who live in swamps and "dark forests". Of course, if you want them available as a player race you might have to reduce their powers, or simply remove some abilities.
    A Green Hag has:
    * +8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma
    * Darkvision 90
    * Spell Resistance 18
    * 9 racial hit dice of "monstrous humanoid"
    * Spell-Like Abilities AT WILL: dancing lights, disguise self, ghost sound (DC 12), invisibility, pass without trace, tongues, water breathing.
    * Touch of weakness, victim must pass a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half of hag hit dice + hag Charisma bonus, usually 16)or take 2d6 of Str damage.
    * Mimicry.
    * 30' swim speed, and +8 on swim checks.
    * ECL +unknown(SRD doesn't mention it)

As you can see, this race is particularly powerful.
    Here's a MUCH weakened version, that MIGHT be be balanced with +2 ECL.
    * +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
    * Darkvision 60'
    * Spell Resistance 10 + class level.
    * Touch of weakness: causes 1d4 rather than 2d6 Str damage.
    * Disguise self once/day. Becomes twice/day at level 6, three times at level 12 and four at level 18.
    * ECL +2.

* Darkvision 60'
    Well thank you. I'm not sure which green hag to use yet, though I'm leaning toward some middle ground. I also need help figuring suitable classes for each race.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

8. - Top - End - #8

I added a bit to hags, ogres, trolls and mostly finished goblins. Any other help would be welcome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, let's try and help by way of quick review.

1) Agree, more or less.

2) Disagree, Monastic Military Orders should be open to any Class willing to take the vows, though Clerics should have a special role within the Order; just my view, though, it's your campaign.

3) Fair enough, I see no problem.

4) Okay, no problem.

5) Not my thing, but okay.

6) Not a big fan of this approach to world building. Too exclusive for my liking.

7) Good.

8) Agree.

9) Could take or leave.

10) Okay, sounds interesting.

I think Elves and Goblins could stand to put on a little weight.

Okay, so Goblins and Hobgoblins are being treated as a more sophisticated Race than normal, along the lines of Kingdoms of Kalamar.

10. - Top - End - #10

Okay, so Goblins and Hobgoblins are being treated as a more sophisticated Race than normal, along the lines of Kingdoms of Kalamar.
    I've never heard of the Kingdom of Kalamar, so what are you talking about?
    Last edited by Duke Malagigi; 2007-08-05 at 09:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Why no Slavic cultures?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Kasrkin View Post
    Why no Slavic cultures?
    I'll come up with those later.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    I've never heard of the Kingdom of Kalamar, so what are you talking about?
    This is what I am talking about: Kingdoms of Kalamar. It's an official Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting under license agreement between Kenzer and Company and Wizards of the Coast.

14. - Top - End - #14

This is what I am talking about: Kingdoms of Kalamar. It's an official Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting under license agreement between Kenzer and Company and Wizards of the Coast.
    Now I know. Thank you for the explanation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

15. - Top - End - #15

This will also use a modified Level Adjustment rule. Characters with LA simply have "off levels". These are levels that do nothing but contribute to ECL on certain intervals. Take for example a green hag, in my campaign simply a hag. Under these rules a hag can start play as a 9th level character with only racial Hit Dice. At tenth level she gains her first class level, let's say archivist. She can advance as far as she wants as an archivist but every 3rd level she must take an off level until she reachs her LA of +6. Is this fair, over powered or under powered?
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Might I suggest making all races be about LA +2?

This gives you lots of room to make interesting classes and bonuses.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Might I suggest making all races be about LA +2?

This gives you lots of room to make interesting classes and bonuses.
    Could you explain how this would work? It sounds some what interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Just write your races to have +2 LA worth of toys?

Dwarves might have DR, Elves might have innate spell-like abilities, etc etc.

These abilities could even scale with level. A 10th level elf might have the ability to cast a 3rd level spell as a spell-like ability.

Basically, balance your races around a "higher starting point" than the standard D&D, and note that no PC race can be weaker than this baseline.

You could take as a basis for ideas for the standard races the "Paragon" classes:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...gonClasses.htm

That is just for ideas -- the Paragon classes aren't designed for this purpose that well.

19. - Top - End - #19

So how would I reduce the ogre's LA to +2? Also, how do I determine what LA to assign based on racial abilities that scale by level?
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Just write your races to have +2 LA worth of toys?

Dwarves might have DR, Elves might have innate spell-like abilities, etc etc.

These abilities could even scale with level. A 10th level elf might have the ability to cast a 3rd level spell as a spell-like ability.

Basically, balance your races around a "higher starting point" than the standard D&D, and note that no PC race can be weaker than this baseline.

You could take as a basis for ideas for the standard races the "Paragon" classes:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...gonClasses.htm

That is just for ideas -- the Paragon classes aren't designed for this purpose that well.
    I looked at all of your suggestions and I still need help. While I understand LA, I dont know how to assign it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

There are a number of systems for balancing racial LAs.

Here are some attempts:
    http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=667683

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12287

I can't find the one that was done by Wizards...

22. - Top - End - #22

Thank you Yakk. They both seem useful. I'll try them out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

23. - Top - End - #23

The elves in this setting are highly intelligent and serve as among the greatest scientists in this campaign setting. Elves also are deeply philosophical and tend to have a great connection the spiritual. They see a difference, but no conflict between scientific magic (wizardry) and miraculous powers (divine magic). In fact members of the elven clergy openly encourage the arcane sciences and are often time’s wizards themselves. Among the physical attributes of elven kind are good health and the long life that goes with it. Elves are more nimble and agile than humans are, but have weaker and less developed muscles than humans have. On average elves are more intelligent, wiser, healthier and more nimble than humans. At the same time elves have less muscular strength than humans do. Based on this what ability bonuses or penalties should the elves possess?
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

24. - Top - End - #24

Well anyone else please help me? I need help. This is my first campaign world and I just need help and advice. I'm very new to making campaign settings and I'm really going to need a lot of help. Please just help me. If I had every major detail fully worked out I wouldn't be asking for your advice, I'd just post it and say I'm done. Now please anyone, especially if you have experience in making campaign settings, help me. I don't really know what to do. I just can't do this on my own. I'm sorry if anyone was either angered or annoyed by what I just said.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Help needed making a campaign setting.

If this is your first world, KISS: keep it simple, silly.

Use a small set of pre-built by WotC LA+0 races, with maybe a LA+1 race or two.

Use standard classes, with at most a few tweaks.

Use mostly standard rules.

The world can be made interesting and unique without changing the game rules that much.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

[QUOTE=Duke Malagigi;3010346]Well anyone else please help me? I need help. This is my first campaign world and I just need help and advice. QUOTE]

I think your asking for help in to broad a way. What specifically do have a question about?
    Looking for a low magic high fantasy world to use for your next campaign? Send me a private message as I'm currently looking for play test groups.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    Well anyone else please help me? I need help. This is my first campaign world and I just need help and advice.
    I think your asking for help in to broad a way. What specifically do have a question about?
    Well, I need help figuring out the racial abilities and culture for elves, Western and Persian kobolds (the later rule an entire empire complete with humans as officials and regional governors), orcs who are smarter than the SRD orcs and have an empire, goblin kind including hobgoblins, ogres, trolls and a bit more on hags. Afterward we'll go on to the major religions of this world as well as the social and political structures of numans and non-humans. When we're done with all of that we can go on to capitals and other major cities. Just take things one step at a time. Let's start with elves and go to either hags or one of two kobold subraces.
    Last edited by Duke Malagigi; 2007-08-10 at 05:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

28. - Top - End - #28

Dwarves
    Spoiler
    Show

Physical Character

Build: Stocky and muscular. 160 lbs. on average
    Coloring: Fair skinned to light tan in color, often times with reddish brown hair and gray eyes.
    Endurance: Tremendous. They can carry great burdens over long distances with little rest.
    Height: 4 to 5 feet tall.
    Lifespan: 200-400 years.
    Resistance:Dwarves are highly resistant to extremes in temperature. They gain a +4 to saving throws against to ice and fire based attacks. This replaces the +2 to saving throws for all spells and spell like abilities.
    Special Abilities: A +4 to Strength and -4 to Dexterity. Dwarves are not only sturdy and resilient but also physically powerful. However they are as physically awkward as they are gruff and tactless. All other standard dwarven racial abilities with an addition +2 bonus to metalworking based Craft skills.

Culture
    Clothing and Decoration: The clothing worn by dwarven civilians and military would be based off of that of the Germanic States of the late nineteenth century.
    Fears and Inabilities: Dwarves possess no debilitating fears what so ever.
    Marriage Pattern: Monogamous.
    Religion: A combination of ancestor worship and devotion to Metallkoinig, Lord of Metal Working and Mining and patron of Crafts.

Other Factors
    Demeanor and Alignment: Gruff, honorable and fierce. Will never forget a friend or enemy. They are a well ordered and militaristic society. The typical dwarf will not stand by while any innocent is harmed, threatened or offended. Lawful Good.
    Prejudices: After centuries of warfare dwarves have come to dispise orcs, trolls and western kobolds. They have cordal relations with the elves and ogres. They are on good terms with their gnomesh cousins and goblin trading partners.
    Languages: Dwarven (German) and Goblin (English). High Elven (Irish), Gray Elven (Welsh) or Wood Elven (Gealic) as a bonus language.
    Political System: Monarchy.
    Classes: Berserkers, fighters and paladins serve as elite commanders and warriors among dwavren kind. In fact paladin-berserkers are highly regarded within dwarven society. Other classes are rarer, but still exist.
    Suitable Starting Classes: Wizard, cleric, fighter, berserker (see below), paladin and ranger from Core. Artificer from the Eberron setting and archivist from Heroes of Horror.
    Favored Class: Berserker. As barbarian but with out Trap Sense, Illiteracy, Fast Movment and Tireless Rage. In return berserkers are trained to use heavy armor and they can also be Lawful.
    Favored Schools: Enchantment, Transmutation and Necromancy. Dwarven necromancers are second only to priests in religious importance.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

29. - Top - End - #29

Gnomes
    Spoiler
    Show

Physical Character

Build: ?
    Coloring: ?
    Endurance: ?
    Height: ?
    Lifespan: Same as dwarves.
    Resistance: Gnomes benefit from a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
    Special Abilities: A +2 to Constitution, –2 to Strength, +2 Intelligence and a -2 to Wisdom. Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects. Gnomes also gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids. This is in addition to a +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Low-Light Vision: A gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. Gnome also recieve a +2 racial bonus on Listen checks and on Craft (alchemy) checks.

Culture

Clothing and Decoration: ?
    Fears and Inabilities: ?
    Marriage Pattern: ?
    Religion: ?

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment:
    Prejudices:
    Languages:
    Political System: Constitutional republic.
    Classes:
    Suitable Starting Classes:
    Favored Class: Wizard
    Favored Schools: Illusion and Transmutation.
    Last edited by Duke Malagigi; 2007-10-01 at 12:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary

30. - Top - End - #30

Gnolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Physical Character

Build: ?
    Coloring: ?
    Endurance: ?
    Height: ?
    Lifespan: ?
    Resistance: ?
    Special Abilities: ?

Culture

Clothing and Decoration: ?
    Fears and Inabilities: ?
    Marriage Pattern: ?
    Religion: ?

Other Factors

Demeanor and Alignment:
    Prejudices:
    Languages:
    Political System: Anarchy.
    Classes:
    Suitable Starting Classes:
    Favored Class:
    Favored School: Necromancy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cheers,
    Gary